Rich S: shot my low round and won

rich_s2

What a road. I will make it quick, started playing serious a few years ago. My home course is not long but very tight and tough. I started this latest journey at a 9 handicap. Driver Swing speed 99mph according to trackman when fitted at Club Champion in August 2018. I fought an over the top move and played a dead straight to slight fade. Sought to get better so I changed my swing to hit up on the driver more by keeping my head back. It used to come forward and I had a very steep swing. The swing change killed my game for a month or two but I stuck with it and so noticeable improvement. I did everything ok but nothing great. After seeing all the success people have had after getting lessons from Dan Carraher, I signed up for an online lesson. I am looking forward to seeing if I can take my game farther. I play almost daily and practice a lot but live in Wisconsin so no actual golf during winter. Since coming off a swing change I feel like I am more pliable to making changes. My goal is to be competitive in state level events. I am 43 years old, out of shape and anything but flexible. Join me on my journey to hopefully scratch or better. Here was my current swing as of August 2018:

http://www.youtube....h?v=1Ppul71iP0c

Before iron distances AP3:
PW-125
7-155
4-190

Edit: Current iron distance as of 11/19:
PW-150
7-180
4-220

Edited by rich_s2

Sent my vids into Dan and he got back to me with the damage. I sway off the ball and my right knee and right shoulder work away from the target. I also have a very flat shoulder turn. He gave me two drills and even though I got my league championship tomorrow I hit the range. Tried to keep the width between my knees and get my right hip moving back and up but not away from the target. Also tried to rotate my right shoulder over my left foot. What felt like worlds of difference was barely noticeable on video. BUT my ball striking was different. It sounded different. I used 8 iron for a hundred or so balls then hit driver for about 10. I hit one over the range and I have never done that before. I felt less powerful but quicker. This change will take me a long time to get right and groove but I am happy with the progress tonight. Left is before and right is tonight.

After seeing the post on the other board about Club Champion fittings I decided to make an appointment. They got me in right away. I feel like I have made a lot of progress on what ITeach Dan had told me in the lesson. I tried to get fit for driver last year but had a severe negative AOA and as I posted earlier I had been working on it.

This was a driver and putter fitting. I will keep it short, my swing speed with my swing speed radar is 102-108mph and trackman had me 100-102. I also had a...positive AOA! I was so happy. I did not hit my gamer great. I play a 44.5” rogue draw with no swing weight compensation for shortening. We tried a bunch of shafts, and heads and my head was the best overall. The shaft however was horrible. Ended up with a Accra FX 2.0 and I hit it so much better. My dispersion was very tight, carry was 245 and total 265. He said I will see a little more on the course compared to the bay. My worst swing with that shaft was as good as my best with my gamer. Blown away.

Next up was the putter and he hooked me up to the machine SAM I think. He had me hit 7 balls and I made 6 of them. Looked at the data and my stroke is pretty good. My putter just happened to be almost perfect for me (Berwick). He adjusted it slightly for me and also gave me a Mullen (that’s what the machine recommended). It has toe hang where mine is face balanced. I hit mine again and could tell it was tweaked and I liked it better. I pulled one and it missed the cup. Tried the Mullen and same thing only the pulled put still went in. I was sold. New putter and driver shaft on the way!

• 2 weeks later...

Well I got the driver shaft and putter. Folks if you have never been truly fitted, do it. Not at a big box store but a real fitting. I am blown away how much better my driving is. The putter is better but not as noticeable as the driver. Tons of rain here so the ranges have been closed. Had a scramble and we shot 15 under and I only hit one drive not in the fairway. Played today and driving was just great. Range is open tomorrow so looking forward to playing around a bit.

Congratulations on your success. I'm also going through some changes, not huge, but they have made a difference.

TM SIM2 Max Driver

TM SIM2 Max 3 & 5

PXG 0311 XF Gen 1 4-W 

Titleist SM8 Black Wedges 48-54-58

Srixon Q-Star Tour 
2009 Custom Scotty Cameron Welded Neck 009 35/330g (with a slap of lead tape for sauciness)
“Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”

• 4 weeks later...

So I just back back from Jacksonville. I had spent two half days with Dan C. Mind blown. He had my over the top move fixed in a few swings and by a few, I mean 2...literally 2. Folks, this man's insight into changes, and how to make them is beyond anything I have experienced. I am not going to share how he did it as I feel you should get a lesson if you are struggling. I flew from wisconsin, stayed for three days and was the best thing I have done for my game. I have lower back pain and this swing is so much more effortless that I really feel it will not be so hard on my back. It is also longer, from what I can tell, a good bit longer but I want to play on my home course to know just how much. For now, here are some before and after pics. The after pics I just took. Went to the range raw on my lunch. They are on the left. Long ways to go but amazing changes for 2 days I think.

• Like 1

I'm going down to see him in a few weeks and cannot wait!

This lesson was NOTHING like I thought it was going to be. My advice is to keep a very open mind and pay attention to what he says. Have zero expectations and do exactly what he tells you to do. One thing is for sure, you will not pound balls. I hit a extremely surprisingly low amount of balls but like I said in the OP, he taught me how to improve. I used to think I knew how to practice, I had no idea.

Awesome changes. Dan is a swing whisperer.

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle

So I just back back from Jacksonville. I had spent two half days with Dan C. Mind blown. He had my over the top move fixed in a few swings and by a few, I mean 2...literally 2. Folks, this man's insight into changes, and how to make them is beyond anything I have experienced. I am not going to share how he did it as I feel you should get a lesson if you are struggling. I flew from wisconsin, stayed for three days and was the best thing I have done for my game. I have lower back pain and this swing is so much more effortless that I really feel it will not be so hard on my back. It is also longer, from what I can tell, a good bit longer but I want to play on my home course to know just how much. For now, here are some before and after pics. The after pics I just took. Went to the range raw on my lunch. They are on the left. Long ways to go but amazing changes for 2 days I think.

Rich, that's great stuff.

Here's my question... Ok, so that's truly great improvement. (But!) at least in my experience, I can leave a lesson with Monte and "I've got it!" is how I feel, only to see the move vanish in a few days and I'll revert to old habits. Then the real work begins.

So, what's your plan now? What did you learn about how to practice to help this settle in?

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

Great question and Dan dealt with that exact question. I watched countless YouTube videos and read countless articles and have never heard what Dan explained as the way to ingrain a move. For that reason I will just say to ask Dan that question. He layed out the right way to do it for me and it made total sense. Sorry for the vague response, hope you understand

Great question and Dan dealt with that exact question. I watched countless YouTube videos and read countless articles and have never heard what Dan explained as the way to ingrain a move. For that reason I will just say to ask Dan that question. He layed out the right way to do it for me and it made total sense. Sorry for the vague response, hope you understand

Awesome that you learned so much but not sure why you are posting this if you're not going to tell us a single thing he shared.

Awesome that you learned so much but not sure why you are posting this if you're not going to tell us a single thing he shared.

Great question. I have tried for a while to fit myself when it comes to clubs. I have tried for a long time to fix my swing based on articles, videos, forums etc. The point of this post was to show people what worked for me. I bit the bullet and got professionally fitted and almost instantly started playing the best golf of my life. I did online lessons and had some success but then took a trip to get one in person and the results are drastic. So in my eyes, people that are/were in my shoes might benefit from my experience. The one thing I have learned the most in all of this is that every swing is different and what worked for me might not work for you. I have tried using what has worked for other (using their feels) and I think all it has done is set me back. The other side of this is that Dan has put in countless hours/days/months figuring out what works for some people so why should I just give that away for free. I just would not feel right about doing that.

I hope some find value in the post!

I’m fine with that and respect your approach. This is, in fact, Dan’s IP and he should be the one to decide whether or not to make it public.

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

I’m fine with that and respect your approach. This is, in fact, Dan’s IP and he should be the one to decide whether or not to make it public.

Thanks, one of the reasons I edited the OP was so he might see it and decide if he wants to participate. I am not in tight with golf instructors so I am really not sure what the etiquette is.

Golf swing wise what we worked on was a little mechanics and changing perspective on how it will feel and look. The practice routine was designed to make every rep count and be of the highest quality so that retention and application on the course is the highest. If the rep quality isn’t there you slow down until you can do it correctly. Essentially you only go as fast as you can execute the drills to near perfection and that speed will change based on how you feel physically and mentally that day

Damn that first still is impressive. Nice work to you and iteach.

Golf swing wise what we worked on was a little mechanics and changing perspective on how it will feel and look. The practice routine was designed to make every rep count and be of the highest quality so that retention and application on the course is the highest. If the rep quality isn't there you slow down until you can do it correctly. Essentially you only go as fast as you can execute the drills to near perfection and that speed will change based on how you feel physically and mentally that day

Pretty much like learning to play piano.

How dare you say Dan changed a huge flaw in your swing in 2 swings. Someone posted that he too had changed an enormous swing flaw in two swings with Dan about 6 years ago and he was almost burned at the stake around here. LOL.

It isn't possible he was told.

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

• rich_s2 changed the title to Rich S: shot my low round and won