What does a pro golfer owe the media?

puttfordoux

This morning on Golf Channel's Morning Drive, there was a somewhat heated debate between two of the co-hosts, Damon Hack and Charlie Rymer, centered around a Phil Mickleson presser at the Safeway, and what it should contain. Hack, from the media side, feels he is owed an explanation by Mickelson about the Ryder Cup, while Rymer, from the players' side, feels anything Phil would say besides an explanation of his birdies and bogeys would be a bonus.

So what do you think? Is Hack right, is Rymer right, or somewhere in between?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Given Phil spearheaded the task force (some say that was a factor in him being a lock pick this year when his form was trash) I think some comment would be good.

The cynics would say every player saying something like "we got out played and hats off to the opposition" is a way to try and kill the story so it goes away.

As someone said that reason works once or twice but every Cup since '93 there has to be underlying reasons, many people would be interested to hear an attempted explanation from someone like Phil.

Not sure if anyone is owed a comment though.

[size=2]Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

They already had a press conference post Ryder Cup Loss. Move on. We got beat. We got outplayed. Maybe there were a couple of errors in judgement. Move on it is a golf exhibition. I like to see good golf and sportsmanship and a US victory, but that didn't happen. I am no worse off today.

So, I don't think Phil owes us anything. He tried his best it didn't work out. What more do you want. He is not going to air dirty laundry why would he. I'm with Charlie

Given how anything said that isn’t mindnumbingly mundane is reported everywhere and spun depending on various agendas, there’s little surprise the vast majority give the most boring, monotonous answers ever. You can either be a “well golly gosh, everything’s great” a la Kucher, and be left alone. Or you can give your actual opinion on something, like Rory, and it will be news for two weeks.

PXG 0811X Gen2 9deg Driver - AD-GP 7TX
PXG 0341X Gen2 15deg Fairway - AD-GP 8TX
PXG 0311X Gen2 1 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311X Gen2 3 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 51 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 56 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Zulu 61 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
PXG Operator H - 34.5”
Toulon Indianapolis - 34.5”
PXG 50/50 Staff Bag
Bridgestone Tour B X

KaBoom Baby!

My own observations of players when they are interviewed is that responses will vary greatly when asked about their own individual games. From mundane, boilerplate answers like Tiger "I'm getting my speed back, which is nice. I'm getting my feels back, which is nice........zzzzzzzzzzz", to those who take the time to give thoughtful answers, Rory, Adam Scott, even Phil. But when the questions center around other things like RC controversies or the like they almost universally steer clear and take the safest route possible out of the question.

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

I personally don’t think they owe them a single word. But I do love tigers answers most times. Just words strung together to fill space until they get tired of hearing words. Lol

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

PGA pros don't have any responsibility to the press, but a positive relationship with the press likely benefits their sponsors.

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

I personally don’t think they owe them a single word. But I do love tigers answers most times. Just words strung together to fill space until they get tired of hearing words. Lol

He’s different now though. He’s actually giving real answers. I like listening to him now.

As for Hack....who cares what he thinks? What a waste of space on a golf show.

Nothing except what the tour requires of them.

That said, if they wish to be as successful as possible financially (notice I didn't say on the course, hi Fowler), a ton.

Depends on what you are after. Even Koepka who apparently doesn't care sure talks about it a whole lot for someone who supposedly doesn't care.

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

Without the media writing stories and creating content for us to enjoy, Golfers don't get a paycheck

Without Golfers playing, media doesn't get a paycheck

If goes both ways. They know what boundaries not cross though sometimes they don't play nice.

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

PGA pros don't have any responsibility to the press, but a positive relationship with the press likely benefits their sponsors.

And in turn, them , of course

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

With some players, it's relatively easy. Tiger for example, he doesn't give much away at the best of times. On that basis, I wouldn't ever really expect to get much from him.

On the other hand Phil is someone who usually gives too much away, without even being pressed too much, so I can see why they might expect a little more from him.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

They already had a press conference post Ryder Cup Loss. Move on. We got beat. We got outplayed. Maybe there were a couple of errors in judgement. Move on it is a golf exhibition. I like to see good golf and sportsmanship and a US victory, but that didn't happen. I am no worse off today.

So, I don't think Phil owes us anything. He tried his best it didn't work out. What more do you want. He is not going to air dirty laundry why would he. I'm with Charlie

Phil airing his dirty laundry in 2014 is exactly how we got here.

Without the media writing stories and creating content for us to enjoy, Golfers don't get a paycheck

If goes both ways. They know what boundaries not cross though sometimes they don't play nice.

You're describing the press as it used to exist before the advent of social media. Back when sportswriters understood the working relationship they shared with athletes and the integrity inherent to their line of work.

That is gone now, and it's not only gone in sports, it's gone in practically every single area of media and journalism. Short of trying to chum the waters to spin something purposefully, If I we're an athlete, I wouldn't feel like I owed them a thing, and I would do my best to be a calculated zombie like most of the intelligent ones are.

You're describing the press as it used to exist before the advent of social media. Back when sportswriters understood the working relationship they shared with athletes and the integrity inherent to their line of work.

That is gone now, and it's not only gone in sports, it's gone in practically every single area of media and journalism. Short of trying to chum the waters to spin something purposefully, If I we're an athlete, I wouldn't feel like I owed them a thing, and I would do my best to be a calculated zombie like most of the intelligent ones are.

If i was a pro athlete I would honestly skip all interviews and do my own thing; podcasts and youtube vlogs. I wouldn't let them spin anything

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

If i was a pro athlete I would honestly skip all interviews and do my own thing; podcasts and youtube vlogs. I wouldn't let them spin anything

very wise. Create your own narrative. I mean you might as well, that's what the press does now.

Eh, I don’t think it’s about Phil owing a Ryder Cup explanation or not at a Safeway Open press conference. It’s about the Safeway Open. It’s pretty understandable if Phil just wants to support the event he’s at currently.

It’s an open press conf, if Phil wants to talk about last week, that’s fine, but if he wants to focus on this week, fine too. There’s a valid built in reason to focus on the current event.

1000% this ^^^

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Phil airing his dirty laundry in 2014 is exactly how we got here.

I am giving him credit for learning from that mistake. And if I recall he did it at the press conference not a week later.

Common courtesy

Both directions, but that’s a pipe dream.

I felt like I had a good relationship with many writers, but it was easy, I was a nobody, so I wasnt being bombarded constantly with requests and questions.

I would always answer questions honestly to the best of my knowledge, and got in trouble a few times.

I also had things come out that were quoted so incorrectly, it boggled the mind. Fortunately no big issues, but amazingly

Inaccurate on a few occasions.

I liked the press I dealt with fwiw

Pro golfers owe the media nothing, not a single word. That said, if they choose not to speak to the media they pass up and opportunity to promote themselves, their Tour and venues.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

The news media are becoming less and less relevant with each passing day. As others have said with podcasts and other social media platforms, nobody needs them anymore.

Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
Bobby: I play because I love it.
Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.

At the most basic level, the public is paying the athlete. IMO the athlete owes the public something beyond their performance. The athlete does NOT owe the public everything.

Exactly where the line is, I don't know. Good luck finding it though.

I personally don't think they owe them a single word. But I do love tigers answers most times. Just words strung together to fill space until they get tired of hearing words. Lol

You actually listen ?

Personally, I HATE athletes being interviewed. With few exceptions (and none that I can think of offhand) I'll watch "It's a Wonderful Life" for the 537th time before I'll listen to an athlete being interviewed in the everlasting hope that they'll have something (different) to say.

Same thing on sports radio. I hear an interview starting and I just change the station.

The last putt is sunk or the ballgame is over and I change the channel.

Nobody's going to "give you" anything (on purpose) unless it's to suit their own agenda and, if that's the case, who wants to hear their agenda anyway ?

They ALL talk in cliches.

[media=]

[/media]

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

At the most basic level, the public is paying the athlete. IMO the athlete owes the public something beyond their performance. The athlete does NOT owe the public everything.

Exactly where the line is, I don't know. Good luck finding it though.

I personally don't think they owe them a single word. But I do love tigers answers most times. Just words strung together to fill space until they get tired of hearing words. Lol

You actually listen ?

Personally, I HATE athletes being interviewed. With few exceptions (and none that I can think of offhand)

Search for "Zlatan PTI" on YouTube...