2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

What does a pro golfer owe the media?

puttfordoux

For an astoundingly boring interview, listen to Jason Garret after a Cowboy loss. Phil is usually an entertaining interview, as he will go off script from time to time, ie, "I'm such and idiot.". Given that players are contracted to equipment companies, they owe the press an appearance, but should not be expected to comment on topics other than their play during that event. It's not in their best interest to provide clickbait comments in a presser.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 years ago I would have agreed that it was important that players really try to communicate and cooperate with the media, but so much today is hyperventilation and sensationalism with very little effort to obtain the truth before running with the story that I have to say that I don't blame players for being extremely guarded in their dealings with them.

In sports especially, the media was how you got most of the stories even 10 years. Now I can basically watch as much golf/football/basketball as I have time for, find replays, etc. The product really is what's no the field (course), so the media is basically left with an audience that is people frothing at the mouth to talk about sports, while the rest of us just watched it on TV.

They all long for the day they can be grantland rice, jim murray, etc, but that ship has sailed. We don't need flowing prose to describe something that's on TV and we can witness it with our own two eyes.

It used to be that the pro needed the media for exposure and that was why they gave so many interviews. Today with social media it is probably not so important . But the sponsors still require the pro to get exposure either through interviews or by advertising .

The pro owes the media for exposure that the quotes in the newspaper gives the player although this can be a two way street when the media want a quote on something that the pro doesn’t want to talk about but they need a comment .

what, exactly, is a golfer supposed to say when they don't play well? ... what, precisely, was phil supposed to say, other than 'we played worse than they did, hence they won'? ... yes, they owe their time, and they should put some thought into it ... but i'm reminded of an interview bobby knight gave shortly after an IU win against an opponent ... "coach, what was the difference tonight?" ... "well, leslie, i don't know that there was a difference ... you know, sometimes, one team just makes more shots before the clock runs out" ....

4<5 ... not hard to understand ...

Politics aside, the media has lost a lot of credibility in the electronic era. Everyone claims to be an influencer, blogger, reporter, etc and hardly anyone of them are qualified or understand the fundamentals of journalistic integrity. Even among the top golf reporters in the field we see hack stories written strictly for click bait, facts are an annoyance and the whole game is to be the first one to report the story no matter how inaccurate it is.

Given that why would any pro golfer owe anything to the media? It used to be reporters had a relationships with athletes, especially the local guys. They would get exclusives in exchange for some common courtesy of giving the guy a heads up if there was some negative talk going on.

If I was a pro golfer I'd do what was minimally required by the PGA Tour and nothing else. I'd give one word answers or non-substantive answers as there's no benefit today to being friendly with the press.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

Are they even obliged at all to talk to the media? Always wondered what would happen if a player snubbed them entirely.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

Are they even obliged at all to talk to the media? Always wondered what would happen if a player snubbed them entirely.

Assuming they would be fined by the Tour.

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

Phil owes us an explanation about his "lackluster play" as a "veteran leader" in the Ryder Cup, the "sudden" removal of Bones from the bag, the "thought process" behind the putting incident at the US OPEN, and his "alleged" dealings with insider trading.

Other than that, I'm good.

So basically you want to know why he has been behaving like a loon, check! Lol...

TM SIM2 Max Driver

TM SIM2 Max 3 & 5

PXG 0311 XF Gen 1 4-W 

Titleist SM8 Black Wedges 48-54-58

Srixon Q-Star Tour 
2009 Custom Scotty Cameron Welded Neck 009 35/330g (with a slap of lead tape for sauciness)
“Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”

By default Phil doesn't owe anyone in the media anything.

However, he has been pretty opinionated and outspoken after the previous two Ryder Cups. And the media took his back and helped him get some of the team changes he wanted to see. I think he "owes" the media the same level of outspokenness this time around, even though it may not be to his advantage now. He should speak out about his experiences on the team this year, with the same candor as he spoke in 2014 when complaining about Tom Watson.

Interesting post-round comments from Phil regarding the Ryder Cup particularly in terms of the venue setup but given what he said he should never have been picked.

The setup was no secret and neither is Phil's style of play so why was Phil selected for this match?

[size=2]Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

I like Amanda Balionis' interviews.

I don't think that it is necessarily that she is an awesome interviewer but that given what she is asking and has at her disposal, giant screen to replay shots, you at least get a look inside the head of a pro golfer regarding what they are thinking facing certain shots.

Plus she is good looking. She could interview an eggplant and I would likely watch.

He owes them a presser. He will be asked questions. He might answer them candidly or he might say “no comment”.

The media made these guys rich and famous so they really just owe the media an opportunity to be put on the spot. If we don t like the answer then we can judge as fans. LOL it’s not a grand jury.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

By default Phil doesn't owe anyone in the media anything.

However, he has been pretty opinionated and outspoken after the previous two Ryder Cups. And the media took his back and helped him get some of the team changes he wanted to see. I think he "owes" the media the same level of outspokenness this time around, even though it may not be to his advantage now. He should speak out about his experiences on the team this year, with the same candor as he spoke in 2014 when complaining about Tom Watson.

He did speak of this year’s team and leadership, as well as his poor performance.

Listening to some of the questions they get asked, I have to admire their restraint. The people who said there is no such thing as a stupid question have never listened to reporters.

Bingo. That’s why I love an old school tiger interview. Love it. He cuts some reporters off at the knees. Yes I watch interviews of certain people. I enjoy the mental battle from media to player. Stenson , Woods , Spieth , Mickelson , Dustin Johnson. All masters at that craft.

Yes I said DJ. He rarely if ever responds to a question directly. Almost always a rambling left field statement involving lots of idunos , and uhhhh, and I just dos. Love that he makes them work and gives them nothing. At least until Paulina came along. Lol

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I think they owe it to comment. The media is our conduit to them - they should comment and speak to the fans, and the typical way is through the media. We are the paying public, watching public, paying the salary so yes, I think they owe it.

I also think Phil - as a leader and someone who did not do super well - it would be nice to hear his perspective.

No one is forcing him to comment on specific things or personal things but I do think he / they should comment. They do a ton of press and hype before the event - to get us to attend, watch, be invested in the outcome. The 'leaders' have gone pretty radio silent.

Cobra driver
TMade 3 & hybrid
Titleist AP2 Irons (4-PW)
Vokey wedges
Cleveland putter
Srixon ball

FG-Winning-in-the-Business-of-Sports-7.png

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Everybody loves to give out about the media but take it away and people would complain it wasn't there. The players are playing for prizes like $15m jackpots now, the least they can do is answer a few questions in a genuine and honest way.

Golfers owe it to media, a good golf writer will broadcast their greatest moments in a way they can always look back on with pride. Have to take the rough with the smooth.

Rory McIlroy has had plenty of comments in the media spun in all sorts of directions but is well respected in the press room. His interview with Paul Kimmage in the Sunday Independent last year was an example of good journalism benefiting a player.

Unless you really got something you want to say, everybody should take a page from Bill Bellicheck' pressers...Might improve the questions and reduce inane nonsense we have to endure.

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

Listening to some of the questions they get asked, I have to admire their restraint. The people who said there is no such thing as a stupid question have never listened to reporters.

Bingo. That's why I love an old school tiger interview. Love it. He cuts some reporters off at the knees. Yes I watch interviews of certain people. I enjoy the mental battle from media to player. Stenson , Woods , Spieth , Mickelson , Dustin Johnson. All masters at that craft.

Yes I said DJ. He rarely if ever responds to a question directly. Almost always a rambling left field statement involving lots of idunos , and uhhhh, and I just dos. Love that he makes them work and gives them nothing. At least until Paulina came along. Lol

Love it, really?!

Tiger in his prime was completely horrible with the media not even directly answering some of the most softball questions ever. He was the face of golf and off the course he was often awful. He basically gave fans zero insight. Tiger 2.0 is thankfully much more interesting but not quite the same player.

For the record I think the work his foundation does is amazing and Tiger doesn't get enough credit for it.

Funny when he wanted to make his big apology post fire hydrant he suddenly wanted the media's help and he got it with wall to wall coverage of his press conference.

Just a few simple direct answers its not that difficult. I'm not expecting players to spill their guts on everything, in fact in the era of oversharing I don't really want that.

Most of the interviews are completely boring but there is genuine interest in certain matters ie. US Ryder Cup

[size=2]Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

Entertainers (including athletes) and politicians can't survive and make their millions without the media. They love em when it's positive attention and hate it when it's negative.

Rogue ST Max Graphite Design MAD
Rogue 3HL and 7 wood
Sub 70 4/5/6 949x Hybrid
Sub 70 699 Pro Black 7-GW Recoil 680 F4
Sub 70 JB Forged Wedges 54/58

Odyssey EXO Seven Slant