BYRON MORGAN REVIEW

bigbluefan1132

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Byron does a great job and I like my putter - and will never get rid of it - but I was very unhappy with the entire process and communication with their team. I personally will not be doing business with them again.

Ping G425 LST

TSi2

Mizuno 223 4-5, 221 6-P
Mizuno T20 51/55

WedgeWorks 60T Grind
Custom Byron
ProV1x
Instagram : danieljfalcone

• 2 months later...

Byron has always responded promptly to me, unless of course he's away. It has taken Steve a few days to get back, but not a week. I'd resend the email or call his cell.

You can also reach out to Eddie Austin at [email protected].

Hope it helps.

thanks for the reply. But based on the feedbacks on this post, i think i would prefer to contact Byron straight.

I’ve owned 2 DH89’s (one was stolen) and worked through Steve to acquire both of them. I knew ahead of time that the lede time for both putters was a few months give or take a week or two. Both putters blew away my expectations both in quality of craftsmanship and in playability. If you are in the market for a designed by you, 1 of 1 putter, I couldn’t recommend having Byron make your vision come to reality.

Ive owned 2 DH89s (one was stolen) and worked through Steve to acquire both of them. I knew ahead of time that the lede time for both putters was a few months give or take a week or two. Both putters blew away my expectations both in quality of craftsmanship and in playability. If you are in the market for a designed by you, 1 of 1 putter, I couldnt recommend having Byron make your vision come to reality.

You must mean "you couldn't recommend him enough"?

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick

Am trying to place an order and sent emails to Steve and Byron directly. Just wondering, what is the wait time of their reply usually? Its been a week+...

When I contacted Byron I attached a very detailed design drawing and bullet list of my specs. It was very elaborate but had everything to avoid confusion. I think as a maker, it would be an easy decision to respond immediately in this case. He quoted me a price in his reply, I PayPal-ed him and 8-9 days later I had my putter. Mine was stainless steel and glass misted, so I could see other options taking longer. Ymmv

Edel Brick

I have ordered twice and it took a while for both of mine, 7-10 months. The finish is everything and completely dependent on when they have enough to send out as a batch. This is what I learned after the fact. I was also given a shorter time estimate when ordering, and I think this is avaoidable, but their process is what it is. I've read a lot of posts complaining of the same.

Having said that, I love my Byron's. The one I knew I wanted to play is still in the bag. And it earns it's spot there. I love the feeling I get when I setup and have as much confidence as any putter can give me. The other is a GSS 612 midslant that I though would look cool and it does. But I don't putt as well with it. Either way, they are both quality. My Mannkrafted is tied for quality BTW. I bought one he posted on IG. So I don't know his order process or lead time. But great to work with.

[color=#0000ff]Titleist TSR3 8*[/color]
[color=#0000ff]Callaway Epic SZ 15*[/color]
[color=#0000ff]Taylormade M3 Hybrids 17, 21[/color]
[color=#0000ff]Srixon ZX Utility 23[/color]
[color=#0000FF]Bridgestone 221CB 6-PW[/color]
[color=#0000FF]Miura 50, 54, 58C - KBS Tour[/color]
[color=#0000FF]Byron Morgan DH89[/color]

Super sorry to hear about this, OP. My experience was nothing short of flawless. I wanted to a Tiger-ized 615 and asked for very complicated and confused stamping. Basically, Byron and I have reverse initials. So, I wanted BYRON inside of MORGAN in the cavity and the MB circled...get it, MB/BM...

Not gonna lie, I was worried that given how particular my request was that something might be lost in translation. But, he nailed it.

He called me personally, as well.

I know this probably doesn't help you feel any better. Super bummed for you.

I will say that Steve, Byron's rep, said he was EXTREMELY busy. And, given Luke List's near win, that only increased hype, etc. That's no excuse but maybe he's buried?

Anyway, best of luck getting it resolved!

lol, nobody knows what kind of putter Luke List uses or who Luke List even is.

Being too busy to communicate means you need more people to handle communication. I hate that excuse! I bet there was a time Jeff Bezos got busy, and he fixed it via staffing.

TM Sim D-Type Tour AD IZ 7s
Mavrik SZ 16.5 Tour AD DI 7s
Cleveland Hibore Xli 3,4,5
TaylorMade P790 6-AW
TM Tour MG Raw 54/58
Evnroll ER-1.2

When you contact him/them you should most likely have a legitimate order in mind, even down to the smaller details, and include this so he knows you're serious. As a business owner, I wouldn't want to start a lengthy back-and-forth conversation without a definite idea of whether or not someone is actually interested in placing an order. If you present a fully functioning order for BM, he will build it. If you contact him for all kinds of design advice and want to shoot the breeze during the process, I could completely understand BM ignoring you.

Are you more likely to fill the shelves at home with the necessary groceries/items yourself, or would a detailed list from your spouse make things easier and get the ball rolling faster. Same concept, and to be honest, without a list I'm not getting off the couch....

Edel Brick

Lastly, there are plenty of people that have already gone through the process, myself included, that can easily answer many questions you may have regarding the process and pricing. I doubt very much if BM wants to spoon feed the customers that don't come to the table with a serious hunger for a putter to be built. Price quotes and design ideas can and should be tossed around forums like this because I believe most/all of them can be answered by the knowledgable people here.

Edel Brick

When you contact him/them you should most likely have a legitimate order in mind, even down to the smaller details, and include this so he knows you're serious. As a business owner, I wouldn't want to start a lengthy back-and-forth conversation without a definite idea of whether or not someone is actually interested in placing an order. If you present a fully functioning order for BM, he will build it. If you contact him for all kinds of design advice and want to shoot the breeze during the process, I could completely understand BM ignoring you.

Are you more likely to fill the shelves at home with the necessary groceries/items yourself, or would a detailed list from your spouse make things easier and get the ball rolling faster. Same concept, and to be honest, without a list I'm not getting off the couch....

Excuse me, but that’s part of the point of communicating with the putter maker, to ask for suggestions, options, ideas. I’m glad I’m not doing business with you, because it seems you don’t care much for the customer. I don’t know how many custom putters you own, but I have a closet full dating back twenty years. I have dealt with Byron, Cameron, Bettinardi, Piretti, even PING, and have had plenty of conversations in the process.

Comparing putters to groceries? Really? Lol......

TM SIM2 Max Driver

TM SIM2 Max 3 & 5

PXG 0311 XF Gen 1 4-W 

Titleist SM8 Black Wedges 48-54-58

Srixon Q-Star Tour 
2009 Custom Scotty Cameron Welded Neck 009 35/330g (with a slap of lead tape for sauciness)
“Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”

Lastly, there are plenty of people that have already gone through the process, myself included, that can easily answer many questions you may have regarding the process and pricing. I doubt very much if BM wants to spoon feed the customers that don't come to the table with a serious hunger for a putter to be built. Price quotes and design ideas can and should be tossed around forums like this because I believe most/all of them can be answered by the knowledgable people here.

I don’t €™understand why are you speaking for Byron, cause that’s not the Byron Morgan I know. The one I know will give you all the time in the world, even if you end up going elsewhere. You make it sound like Byron is some elitist of some kind.

TM SIM2 Max Driver

TM SIM2 Max 3 & 5

PXG 0311 XF Gen 1 4-W 

Titleist SM8 Black Wedges 48-54-58

Srixon Q-Star Tour 
2009 Custom Scotty Cameron Welded Neck 009 35/330g (with a slap of lead tape for sauciness)
“Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”

I'm not, but if you get down to brass tax from very start, you shouldn't have an issue. Visiting his shop is an entirely different matter, but in the email age I would totally understand how some people get lost in the mix unless they are very upfront about their intentions. Last month I emailed him on a Friday night with a complete detailed design for a 615, got a response email/price next Monday afternoon, and by Thursday of the following week had my perfectly executed putter in hand.

If you want something done well and with decent speed, you can't enter the process all "wishy washy", that's all I'm saying. Lost in translation should never be a reality if you know what you want and make that absolutely clear to the maker. If you're not including pictures/drawings of what you want, you'll likely receive some "interpretation" of what you described in words. The problem with that, is when the maker uses his/her best judgement the end result is their "perceived" design and not yours, so you are stuck with how it turns out.

Edel Brick

• 8 months later...

I have been trying to order a B-17 "betweens" or "Secrets"...sort of a mashup between the two....tour satin with custom stamping......

Its very hard to get a hold of anyone and ive been trying for weeks. Received two emails but none of my questions answered really. Trying through multiple channels to get my dream putter but its tough right now......patiently trying to wait it out in hopes of it paying off.

Email Byron directly. He will respond in a day or two. His putters are worth it.

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

> @RobotDoctor said:

> Email Byron directly. He will respond in a day or two. His putters are worth it.

No $1100 putter is worth it...and waiting 7 months makes it much less worth it. I've always respected Byron and have always heard his business was run like a well oiled machine. This type of thread scares me. Smaller boutique putter companies have started on this path and never recovered...

I dont think Byron is in the same boat as these however.

PING G400 Max 
Maltby STi2  Fairway

Maltby STi2 Hybrid 

Maltby STI2 Irons 
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50 54 58

BBFandCo Roulette
MannKrafted Carbon Rattler XL
TP Mills Stainless Softtail
Krew Blade

Mannkrafted HotRod

I got 2 putters from Byron last year, one in 8 days and the other in 14 days. Going through BM himself definitely fast tracks the process. Byron was dealing with a personal issue a couple months ago, and with Spring-Summer as the absolute busiest season, lead times may be pushed out a little.

Edel Brick

> @5hort5tuff said:

> > @RobotDoctor said:

> > Email Byron directly. He will respond in a day or two. His putters are worth it.

>

> No $1100 putter is worth it...and waiting 7 months makes it much less worth it. I've always respected Byron and have always heard his business was run like a well oiled machine. This type of thread scares me. Smaller boutique putter companies have started on this path and never recovered...

> I dont think Byron is in the same boat as these however.

>

I have never encountered an issue ordering from Byron direct. All my putters are custom orders and I tell Byron not to rush my putters. They usually take anywhere from 4 to 8 weeks to complete. One major delay is that I want my putters to be copper plated and know Byron prefers to have a batch of putters to send to plating. That is no worry to me since I always get the putter I want, my way, created by an outstanding craftsman. My current gamer, a carbon steel copper plated Epic Day with long pipe neck is simply the best putter I have ever gamed. It's as close to perfection for me as any putter I have ever putted with. I will wait because I know the end product is worth every penny.

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

• 1 year later...

For any of the custom putter makers one can get the putter asap if they ask the right questions and order the right specifications.

For example, most of these custom makers have a CAD design of a stock head including plumbers neck hosel. If one orders a stock head with plumbers neck this great improves the production, delivery time. But if one orders a special shaft orientation (such as center shaft), or, a neck other than the stock plumber style, this means the custom maker may have to send the putter head elsewhere to have the welding work performed. Once the putter is sent elsewhere it could be months before it returns to the custom putter maker.

Also, most custom putter makers have a finish they do in house, such as brushed or polished stainless. Ordering this finish makes for speedy production and delivery. If one orders a special Oil Can or Copper or Black Oxide finish this likely means the custom maker is sending the putter head elsewhere for finish application and this can add months to production/delivery time.

So, if you want a custom Byron, Lajosi, David Mills etc... putter within a few weeks time, find out which heads are in stock and which finishes are done in house, and order same.

If you want custom neck style or shaft orientation, which requires welding, or if you want a special finish, the putter will likely take 6 months or more before you receive delivery.

I appreciate the insight but I’m well aware of how it works. I’ve done numerous customs with multiple companies. I was given a time frame for delivery and it was exceeded by numerous months without proper communication...and not to mention it was incorrect. That’s not even the part that was wrong, it was the fact that they didn’t want to make it right.