2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Closed

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I think WinKiePie maybe onto The Secret. Doing a search of GolfWrx using "Reverse Instinct" his thread is the only one that comes up out of the whole site.

"Reverse every natural instinct and do the opposite of what you are inclined to do, and you will probably come very close to having a perfect golf swing." Ben Hogan

If you have posted about Hogan's swing, then can you clarify what instincts we are too reverse based upon your instuctions?

Love the enthusiasm .. look me up if u get to Toronto

Will do sir. Thank you so much. Might be in NYC next February. Will see if any of my friends wanna visit Toronto with me :blush2:

Do not visit here in Feb ... it's freezing ... and I am in Florida anyways

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

Full swing alone won't get you on tour. Short game and course management along with under 30 putts a round and solid recovery skills will give you a better chance.

Here's the thing. Physical skill can only get you so far. You need to be able to make better decisions, and that's not just course management, but avoiding mental mistakes, such as trying to go for a pin over a bunker, or threading the ball between trees that you know you can't. Recovery is important, and being able to come out with nothing more than a bogey on those holes is required.

Yes, ball striking is important. But don't ignore the rest of the game.

I also think that you're trying to get on tour for the wrong reason, which is to try and prove that you're right. It's a job, not a leisure activity. It's difficult to live the professional golf life, and if you're in it just to prove something, you're not going to make it.

I'm sorry, but with your current attitude, you have an extremely slim chance of making the tour.

Post the video with instructions already, you have certainly peaked enough interest. Even if you don't make the tour I am sure all the WRXers will enjoy the straight shots time after time. Best of luck on your card.

Ping G425 LST 9 Fuji Pro 2.0 Tour Spec
Ping G425 LST 3 wood KBS TD Cat 4 
G 410 17 Hybrid KBS Proto 75X
PXG Gen2 0311T MMT 80
Vokey SM6 48F-50F-58L
Lajosi DD201

• 3 weeks later...

Post the video with instructions already, you have certainly peaked enough interest. Even if you don't make the tour I am sure all the WRXers will enjoy the straight shots time after time. Best of luck on your card.

Okay then... will do just that. Give me a couple of weeks. Swamp with work right now. Need to finalize how I am gonna edit it so it is comprehensible. Cheers!

Bump. Looking forward to this iteration of the elusive Hogan swing.

Looks like the swing described in Crouching Tiger Hidden Hogan

Is that any good that book or yet another pimping off the Hogan name?

The author is sincere about finding Hogan's swing. It is a swing dynamic that produces solid shots. But, I don't think it captures the essence of Hogan's swing. In order to have "The Secret", it has to account for all of Hogan's descriptions of his swing. In Crouching Tiger Hidden Hogan, I am unclear as too what exact instinct I am reversing in order to swing like the model explained in the book. In fact, I am looking through out the Hogan Hero's forum, and trying to find explanations of his swing that involve reversing every natural instinct and which instincts I am too reverse. So far, no luck. Which makes me think the comments so far have not nailed The Secret.

Interesting. I think we all know visually what his swing is but reproducing it at full speed with all the centrifugal and other rotational forces acting on the swing is the difficult part. Particularly the flat plane, shallow entry, hands low and close to body during strike, late release leading to extension deep into follow through such that there is no cross-over and therefore held off finish. Many speak of the low left which visually it appears to be with the hands so close but for me the magic is actually the concept of straightening out or lengthening the circles. The right side covering the left from down the line gives the appearance of cutting left but does he really? Think about the direction the arms extend if they can be so close to the body at impact yet right arm so extended shortly thereafter. Think of it as low and on the right side somewhat at entry and then low and left in the early follow through. But... from a front on point of view, not down the line. Now what does this do to clubhead travel from down the line?

Looks like the swing described in Crouching Tiger Hidden Hogan

Is that any good that book or yet another pimping off the Hogan name?

The author is sincere about finding Hogan's swing. It is a swing dynamic that produces solid shots. But, I don't think it captures the essence of Hogan's swing. In order to have "The Secret", it has to account for all of Hogan's descriptions of his swing. In Crouching Tiger Hidden Hogan, I am unclear as too what exact instinct I am reversing in order to swing like the model explained in the book. In fact, I am looking through out the Hogan Hero's forum, and trying to find explanations of his swing that involve reversing every natural instinct and which instincts I am too reverse. So far, no luck. Which makes me think the comments so far have not nailed The Secret.

Thanks for that. I think too much is read into the reversing natural instincts comment he made. My interpretation is that was more about not flailing away at it from the top like you can in other sports like baseball where you have a big arc to hit in and don’t have to go and play your foul balls. Starting the downswing with the lower body, not flipping at it with hands, saving the energy for late in the downswing etc etc. His most relevant comment for me is the one he made several times to various people that in striking an object more force is applied when the striking implement is travelling faster after the strike than before. Or, at the least, doesn’t lose its acceleration/energy. As well as force this has great accuracy benefits because the shaft hasn’t kicked as much and you haven’t “excited the toe” as Moe liked to say about hooks. It gives you that beautifully wide right arm follow through because you haven’t used it yet. That follow through can’t be faked by using the right arm earlier in the piece and then trying to maintain it. It is a right arm that is gradually getting wider until it falls back down to his left shoulder. Unlike much of modern teaching, I think his arms weren’t passive at all. He spoke about them many times to people he let in to his circle.

With the darkened portions of Five Lessons, it shows how his arms are activated fairly soon in the back swing. So I just assume they remain activated throughout the whole swing.

He also talks about using the inside muscles of the arms, maintaining pressure or connection and then illustrates a crossover release which he didn’t do. I’m not sure much of his arm movement can be found in the book. Especially not the very wide and held off extension of the right arm into the follow through. An effort to keep the heel leading the toe is and simply a byproduct of using the right arm so late. Unlike a Seve or Phil who release it earlier. Great for pitching but not so much for driving.

• 3 weeks later...

With the darkened portions of Five Lessons, it shows how his arms are activated fairly soon in the back swing. So I just assume they remain activated throughout the whole swing.

He also talks about using the inside muscles of the arms, maintaining pressure or connection and then illustrates a crossover release which he didn't do. I'm not sure much of his arm movement can be found in the book. Especially not the very wide and held off extension of the right arm into the follow through. An effort to keep the heel leading the toe is and simply a byproduct of using the right arm so late. Unlike a Seve or Phil who release it earlier. Great for pitching but not so much for driving.

Specifically he talks about the muscles that stretch along the inside. Another clue to his "Secret"

• 3 weeks later...

As for becoming a golf professional, my brother, the lawyer, and his golf teaching pro described it best. My brother was trying to do something with his swing and was asking a bunch of questions of the golf pro. The golf pro, pointed to a golf match on tv and said "Golf pro" then he pointed at my brother and said, "lawyer". Repeated with the finger point, "Golf pro", "Lawyer". "You are a lawyer, and will never be a golf pro. They are golf pro's and will never be a great lawyer"

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...