2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Taylormade P790 Irons

trhode

Initial review of 790's-

I recently bought a set off a member on BST. PX LZ 6.0 shafts. I had demo'd them at TM fitting day and got fitted into them, and then was lucky to find a set to my spec.

Feel:

First - I really should have hit more balls during the fitting session. After 2 rounds and 4 range sessions - I really dislike the feel of the clubs. I had an old set of 714AP2s with Ctapers. While the face may be forged, the 790s feel nothing like a forged club. It's just not the same. When struck purely, feedback is so-so - just feels like it's missing something. Perhaps it's the shaft? I dont know. I generally like the feel of the LZs. I wouldnt think they would feel too different from CTapers. My set came with an AW. I'm trying it out vs. my old Vokey SM5. Vokey wins on feel hands down. personal preference - I want a nice feel from my wedge shots. Will probably put the vokey back in the bag.

Distance:

Less noticeable at the PW end of the bag (1/2 club). About a club or so longer at the long end, im not really dialed in on distances yet. Im guessing that's because of the increased gap for the lofts as the 4i is 21 deg i think and my AP2 4i is 24. This was one of the primary reasons why i switched over to the 790s. Extra distance from my 4i helps close my gaps, good for teeing off of short par 4s and on 2nd shot par 5s, and long par 3s. Suppose i could have just replaced my long irons with AP3s... lol. As far as "hot spots" that people claim- I just dont see it. Would have to attribute it to swing variance vs. hot spots on clubs. In general pretty consistent (or at least as consistent as my swing is).

Dispersion:

Limited time w clubs. Bad shots still bad, good shots really fly. Ball flight is nice. I think it holds true that LZ's are a mid launch/ lowish spin shaft. Seems like my ball flight is higher launch that flattens out. Spin numbers were lower than my AP2s w CTapers. I dunno - can that be true? I thought CTapes were supposed to be lower spin, but this is just what was told to me. Visually it does seem to spin less. Balls still hold greens no problem, so overall I'm fine with it. In general - the clubs DO seem slightly more forgiving then AP2s. But by forgiving - I'm saying slightly off center strikes aren't too bad. Bad swings will be bad swings as I did pull hook a couple of shots during my round with them.

Overall:

I'm going to give them another month or so. See if I grow into them and adjust to the non-forged feel. The better distance could override that factor, at least for me. However, if I feel i don't like the harsh feeling i get, or if it starts causing pain I'll go back to the AP2s. The other factor for me will be distance control and consistency. If that's good, I'll probably live with the non-forged feel. As a backup - I'm going to test out the 919 forged to see how they feel.

I was PXG , then wen to the 790s when they came out- Now back to PXG

I really did and still like the 790s, I just had an itch and got a great deal on my PXGs - such a good deal, I decided to tinker with shaft options, and have settled on a combo I'm really happy with (Accra GRAPHITE!) - And Ive stuck with them since April.

I would have ZERO reservations about going back to 790s though. Really nice clubs. I really like how they offer an in-line gap wedge, as well. I wish PXG would in the "T"

Callaway Paradym X 10.5  GD Tour AD XC-6X
TM M2 16.5* VEYLIX ROME 888
PXG 0317X 20* Oban Devotion S
Mizuno Fli-Hi #4
Mizuno Pro 225 5-G Modus 120
Mizuno T22 RAW 53/57 Modus 120
 Limited Edition PING PLD Prime Tyne 4 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/530023/ladahls-witb-pxg-callaway-titleist-taylormade-trying-graphite-in-irons-updates-on-last-pag

I’ve got about 6 rounds in with my P790’s-C Taper Lite shafts 5-Gap. While I had my low round of the year with them, I don’t seem to get my 5 iron up in the air as high as I would like (the other irons have a very nice ball flight). While the 790’s have less offset than my TA5’s, I’m beginning to wonder if it’s me or that the 790’s have a little less offset. Thoughts?

Went with P790's tried to like them because of the distance and liked the idea I was getting PXG iron technology at a lower price. Then PXG dropped the price on Gen 1, hit them head to head against the P790, now the P790's are in the corner waiting for the PXG's to get delivered. PXG's felt better and didn't have the distance gap between the 7i and 8i for me.

Lesson learned, the 790's carried me through the season and in the end I saved a lot of money given the price drop of the Gen 1's.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

Little late to the party but I just demo'd the P790 with DG 105 R300....holy cow. Purchased on the spot. LOVED the feel and performance, felt light? not sure if that's a great description but so easy to swing, was hitting some bombs (will have to see about distance control), so much better results than the JPX919 Forged I also demo'd. Cannot wait to get these on the course. As many have said iron of the year for '18.

Ping G410 Plus 10.5

Ping G410 5 Wood 

Ping G430 22* Hybrid 

Titleist U*505 ('23) 4i

TaylorMade P790 ('23) 5-AW

Taylor Made MG4 56*
Titleist SM8 60*

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 7.5

TaylorMade TP5x Pix

Vessel Lite Lux

Hit mine for 3 rounds now. Like someone mentioned, the face looks pretty small at address (topline looks a bit chunky) and I'm not seeing a ton of added forgiveness coming from AP2.

But most importantly, distance I'm getting with these clubs are just stupid and inconsistent. I'm seeing big gaps in between clubs, especially in mid-long irons. 7i avg is 194 and 6i 226, then 5i 245.

I also get these flyers that seem to go a mile and some of these high avgs are a result of that. For 6i, my avg of eight shots was 226 but i had a high of 244 (and a low of 202, which I'm sure was not the best strike but it wasn't bad enough to delete). I have zero desire to hit these distances and these are just too wildly inconsistent for me. With AP2, I was confident that avg strike or flush strike, I was going to be within 10 yards and wasn't going to fly the green into the woods.

440053217e4b96759116fb147f5d591a1e0fa615dba4529266681120ec24be09a0ff1755.jpg

Could be the ball you don't have enough backspin across the board on your irons

5i spin is definitely super low and probably 6i too. But with these jacked lofts, I'm really treating them as one club up (P790 6i as traditional 5i) and looking at it that way, spin numbers for 7i-GW don't look too out of place to me. I used V1x which is my gamer. As I understand, P790s are supposed to be lower spin and higher launch?

pgatourstats.png?resize=680%2C503

Damn....You are hitting your 6 iron 25 yards further than PGA Tour average and playing off 7?! Can you not putt or what?

He posted the tour average....................

Played a wet 9 this morning with my group walking and love the bounce and wet turf interaction of the P790! I always though the bounce in these irons (especially the 7-8-9) was perfect for dry summer golf here in AZ, but was pleasantly surprised this morning in the wet conditions.

Going to keep a spot for in the bag for 2019. Oh an the Gap wedge replacement dropping the P790 A wedge for the Mizuno S18 50 has fit the bill nicely. Much more consistent from 115-110 yards and also hit a few 90yard cut offs perfectly today.

P790 4-PW are the truth!

PXG GEN6 0311 10.5*DRIVER/FUJI RED VELOCORE 6S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN5 0311XF 17*FAIRWAY/FUJI MOTORE X F3 7S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN3 0311XP 3 IRON/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN3 0311P 4-PW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN4 0311P GW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG SD II WEDGES/56/13&62/10/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/GP TW BLK

MACHINE M2A 1018RAW CS PUTTER/ACCRA I-STEEL/SS FLAT 1.0

• 4 weeks later...

So I've tested the hell out of the 790 and 770 this fall and have come to the following thoughts after an awful lot of golf:

The 790 long irons are monsters, and tremendously forgiving clubs.

The 790 short irons are good, but tremendously forgiving. Compared to the 770, you get a LOT more out of a mediocre strike with the 790. Like, a material amount.

The 770's are nice clubs, but you lose a good amount off center comparative to the 790.

The 790's, they have a spot on the face (I think just above center) that if you hit them on the screws, they come out low spin and go 10-15 yards long. I've tested this up and down on the course and on trackman. It happens probably 1-2 times a round.

If you're good enough to it on center consistently, I'd probably play a 790/770 combo set. If you're me and need more forgiveness, I have to deal with the few shots per round that go long because I stripe them. I need the forgiveness.

The 760s would be a success if they provided the forgiveness of the 790 without the fliers - otherwise the 790's do everything I could possibly need save for the fliers.

several rounds in on the 790s now. I've gotten used to the non-forged feel. it's just a non-issue now. but anyone going from full forged to the 790s will feel the difference. at this point, i simply love the irons. i have seen some distance dispersion. i think when you get hot irons - you are subject to this. really on the screws is really on the screws and will go go go. and im not going to hit every shot like that. from a golf course perspective, it's entirely manageable. obviously, these will be better for those with the most consistent strike. if you're all over the club face, you will see more of the distance dispersion. overall - i just love these irons. big pick up on distance at the long end of the bag. really adds confidence - taking a long iron out on a short-mid par 4. long par 3s. 2nd shots on par 5s. no issues with flighting, workability.

since, i've added a 3 iron, but went with graphite HZRDUS black 6.0 shaft. Cut it down to 38" (stock 38.75). getting used to it, but it can be a real monster off the tee. ball flight a bit lower than i want with more roll out which is ok off the tee, but not great for long par 3's or par 5's. also not as forgiving as i thought it'd be, but will give it some time. being able to hit a solid 230-240 with less dispersion off the tee would be huge for me. could see it saving me a couple strokes a round on avg.

So I've tested the hell out of the 790 and 770 this fall and have come to the following thoughts after an awful lot of golf:

The 790 long irons are monsters, and tremendously forgiving clubs.

The 790 short irons are good, but tremendously forgiving. Compared to the 770, you get a LOT more out of a mediocre strike with the 790. Like, a material amount.

The 770's are nice clubs, but you lose a good amount off center comparative to the 790.

The 790's, they have a spot on the face (I think just above center) that if you hit them on the screws, they come out low spin and go 10-15 yards long. I've tested this up and down on the course and on trackman. It happens probably 1-2 times a round.

If you're good enough to it on center consistently, I'd probably play a 790/770 combo set. If you're me and need more forgiveness, I have to deal with the few shots per round that go long because I stripe them. I need the forgiveness.

The 760s would be a success if they provided the forgiveness of the 790 without the fliers - otherwise the 790's do everything I could possibly need save for the fliers.

Love my 790s. I haven’t really seen any flyers myself but I can’t say I hit many shots above center. Great looks, great performance when you hit them solid, and some forgiveness on those off center strikes.

Anyone consider converting their 790’s to single length? I’m seriously considering testing with the 5 & 6 irons in my set. The concept makes perfect sense to me but not enough to commit to changing the whole set before testing. Interested if anyone has any experience with this.

IMHO, as someone who played half a year with the Cobra F8 OLs, I would NOT suggest going there with the P790s. My experience is that the biggest problem is the lack of carry distances with the 5 & 4 irons. The 6 irons is OK. With my Cobra F8s 4 & 5 were designed to go higher but it still missed the mark, for me. I was always short with those irons. As well, the mental aspect of dealing with "I got to swing this 4/5 iron faster under OL" WILL screw your swing. Looking down at it, the 5 & 4 did not look right. Even after 6 months, this played games with my mind with these irons in the hand.

The longer P790s gave me back my carry distance. May be Cobra fixed the 4 & 5 with the F9s but for now, I'll just stick with my trusted P790s :)

Hope this helps

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Cobra Forged Tec X 5 - PW KBS TGI 85 stiff shafts
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48* & Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

What's the finish on these irons? Would you call it "brushed?" I've only had my new-to-me 790s for a very short time, but I've noticed that some marks on them show up as almost "polished" spots. Given that, anyone using anything on them other than soap and water to get the finish looking fresh and as uniform as possible?

What's the finish on these irons? Would you call it "brushed?" I've only had my new-to-me 790s for a very short time, but I've noticed that some marks on them show up as almost "polished" spots. Given that, anyone using anything on them other than soap and water to get the finish looking fresh and as uniform as possible?

I usually just use water on the heads and the only marks are a little bit of bag chatter. Well aside from the pebble that scarred the sole of my 5 iron. I guess you could call it a brushed or satin chrome aside from the little strip with 790 on it.

... Probably have close to 200 rounds on my P790's and they still look like the did when I bought them, other than some face wear of course. Soap and water is all I have used on them.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    Cobra Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour

Pretty much finished golfing till next spring but I'm very pleased with my purchase as they are everything I wanted and more than I expected in terms of results. Lov'in mine

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

so i am on my 3rd set of p790s. question, my recent set is the black finish. for some reason they are sounding a little different to me, more hollow sounding. louder, almost like there is no foam - a cracking sound. anyone else have this x with any of the 790s? just curious.

• Mizuno STZ 220 Driver
  • Mizuno STX 220 3w
  • Mizuno STX 220 Hybrid
  • Mizuno Pro 225/223 Irons 
  • Mizuno T22 Copper Wedges
  • Mizuno/Timeless Putters
  • Titleist Pro V1 Ball

The only one that showed wear was my 8 iron but that was on the face. Rest of club looks great and so do other irons. I am super happy with them, now if snow and cold would leave i would be happier.

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

The only one that showed wear was my 8 iron but that was on the face. Rest of club looks great and so do other irons. I am super happy with them, now if snow and cold would leave i would be happier.

I was just curious. I bought my chrome set back in August and was on the fence and the main reason I opted for chrome was concern over the wear.

Final thoughts on these -

1. Im a lower spin, lower launch player. These launch well and typically spin well. But 10-15% go much lower spin and definitely are fliers. I have had 5 in my last 2 rounds with them.

2. They aren't great on fat misses. They're good but not great.

3. On skinny misses they are freaking awesome and it's literally the best feature of them besides how easy they are to hit.

I am a fan but the fliers got in my head - which stinks but doesn't mean they aren't great clubs in the right hands.

If you are worried about wear then go chrome, the bottom and faces will get wear they are instruments to hit the ground and golf balls. The reat of the club will be fine.

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

Had a full set and recently sold them. They def wear faster if you use on practice range. It didn’t really bother me though. I just wanted a set of 919F, so sold to finance them lol.

Are you still happy with the decision? I just sold my 919f to pursue a set of p790s! Lol!

-Taylormade BRNR 11.5* set at 9.5* Ventus Red TR 7X playing 44.25”
-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 16* set at 15* Ventus Blue 8X

-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 19* Ventus Blue 9X

-Mizuno JPX 923 Forged4&5, Tour 6-PW Project X LS 6.5
-Titleist Vokey SM9 50F set to 51*, 56D, & 62M set to 61*

-Mizuno M-Craft OMOI Type 1 Blue Putter

Had a full set and recently sold them. They def wear faster if you use on practice range. It didn’t really bother me though. I just wanted a set of 919F, so sold to finance them lol.

Are you still happy with the decision? I just sold my 919f to pursue a set of p790s! Lol!

Ha I thought you were starting to warm up to the 919f’s? I’m indifferent actually. I have a full set of 919HM’s that I played some before weather got bad and now I also have a new set of 919f with recoils sitting in my closet. I was going to GG weekly to test multiple combos and on the monitor the 919f with recoils gave me the best results when comparing to 790’s, i500’s, and AP3’s. But, to be honest the 919HM’s are beasts! Super long and good spin numbers. I’m not a long iron hitter - 7i carry 150-160 with most modern sets but HM’s were 165 and giving very good numbers. I also built a 7i Maltby DBM to test out and I’m considering just going that route. I have (golf equipment) commitment problems lol