Ideas for "value" group trips in US

You all have helped me focus a few terrific buddy trips over the years. I have a slightly different question...my apology if it is too open ended to answer, but I'm hoping you all might have some interesting ideas to share

Details:

*Group of us-- old dudes, between 15-20 golfers, get together twice/year. Guys come from all over US, so literally ANYWHERE in US works. Group has gone to Myrtle Beach, Las Vegas, Atlanta, Chicago, Indy, Innisbrook, etc--you get the idea...only condition would be reasonable (hour drive) from decent size airport

*Golfer skills are low-medium. Handicaps probably range from low of 8 to high of 36++++ Interesting, well conditioned courses, but no need for world class for sure!!

*2 courses minimum on site or close by, 3 courses even better, as the events are always 3 days/nights (some stay extra 4th day)

*Good food/drink always welcome, but all have known each other for almost 50 yrs, and with the right amount of booze/cards, etc, do not need a whole lot of entertainment or non golf stuff. Group is really self sufficient. Best facility may be Condos or some facility where late night "commotion" may not cause us to be thrown out! Basically a 3-4 day reunion twice/yr, built around golf

*Reason for asking ideas is basically cost--group is very mixed in terms of willingness to spend, so let's say upper cost limit for combination of room (doubles) and golf combined (so not including food, drink, travel, etc), would be $200/day/person. Real target might be even less. So the Bandon's, Steamsongs and Sand Valleys of the world are definitely out

If anyone reading this wants to share their experience with this kind of good solid "value" kind of place...would be much appreciated

Note--Group considering RTJ Trail already, but any comments on that welcome also

Thanks!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RTJ trail is your answer.

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle

Bend, Oregon.

3 hour drive from Portland or fly direct in Redmond and drive 20 minutes. If you want to stay somewhere on a golf course property you can choose between Sunriver, Eagle Crest, Pronghorn or 20 minutes away in Black Butte. At all of those locations or in Bend itself you have the option of lodging (hotels) or renting a couple house where you won’t have to worry about staying up late.

Sunriver, Eagle Crest have more than 2 courses and Black Butte and Pronghorn have 2. Plus you have a ton of other courses around ranging from $60 to $250 and there are plenty of options for all handicaps.

Add all that in to the craft breweries in Bend and its a great place to go.

As for flying into Redmond, a smaller airport that is a 1/2 flight from Portland, a friend of mine travels a LOT for work. He says it is faster for him to fly out of Redmond and connect in Portland or Seattle than it is for him to fly out of Portland.

Tucson has some cheap courses, even during our “season”. 1/2 the cost of Phx courses, granted they might not be as nice as the top ones but they are still good.

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS

Tucson has some cheap courses, even during our “season”. 1/2 the cost of Phx courses, granted they might not be as nice as the top ones but they are still good.

I was going to say Tucson since Myrtle and a few others were mentioned. OP is looking for a few days of good golf, not a lifetime of premium variety and Tucson gets him home here. Definitely a value over Phoenix or Palm Springs. Also Mesquite, NV. is inexpensive.

I love bend... But definitely doesn't fit the "less than one hour from a major airport" bill.

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle

Have you been to Pinehurst? Tough to beat the quality for the price there. Staying somewhere other than Pinehurst resort you can stay well under $200/day for golf and lodging and play some nice golf courses. For example book through Talamore and stay at their condos, which are very nice. Play Talamore, Mid-South and add in a couple other top courses in the area: Pine Needles, Mid-Pines, Tobacco Road, Dormie Club, Pinehurst #8.

Cobra King F7, Hzrdus Yellow 65 6.0

Cobra King F7 4wd, Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.0

Cobra King F7 Hybrid, Hzrdus Black 85 6.0

Mizuno JPX919 HMP 5-PW, AMT White S300

Vokey SM8, 48.10F/54.14F/60.08M, Stock shafts

Odyssey White Hot OG #7S 34"

Central Coast of California, San Luis Obispo area. Hunter Ranch, Cypress Ridge, Monarch Dunes are the best public courses - each 30 minutes from San Luis. Morro Bay, Paso Robles Golf Club are very playable ( I play most of my golf at these), a bit less expensive, and fun. Lots of good places to eat, drink, etc.

Another for Bend area, Albuquerque (very underrated), Colorado Springs - plenty of extra to do outdoorsy, St. George

This might be the first time I've ever seen Colorado Springs recommended as a budget golf destination. Outside of The Broadmoor, which seems to be out of their budget, what other courses are you thinking of?

Goose Pond Colony in Scottsboro, AL. Lake course is great and is as tough as anything out there. Plantation course is much shorter but still enjoyable. Plenty of lakeside cabins available across from the lake course. Very affordable. A group of us go there every year.

Callaway 2015 Great Big Bertha 10.5
Callaway Great Big Bertha ll 3W & 5W
Callaway Steelhead lll 9 wood 
Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4/E
Cleveland 588 TA 51* & 56* 
Ray Cook Blue Goose 

Another for Bend area, Albuquerque (very underrated), Colorado Springs - plenty of extra to do outdoorsy, St. George

This might be the first time I've ever seen Colorado Springs recommended as a budget golf destination. Outside of The Broadmoor, which seems to be out of their budget, what other courses are you thinking of?

Well it has been some time since I lived there, But my list was: Patty Jewitt, Antler Creek, Pine Creek, Springs Ranch, Silver Spruce and Kissing Camels.

Well it has been some time since I lived there, But my list was: Patty Jewitt, Antler Creek, Pine Creek, Springs Ranch, Silver Spruce and Kissing Camels.

Went to school there for 4 years, would not recommend a specific trip to play Patty Jewitt or Pine Creek. They were consistently in disrepair and were for the most part uninspiring besides the views but that's the view virtually everywhere in the springs. I'm not familiar with the others.

Went to school there for 4 years, would not recommend a specific trip to play Patty Jewitt or Pine Creek. They were consistently in disrepair and were for the most part uninspiring besides the views but that's the view virtually everywhere in the springs. I'm not familiar with the others.

Bummer...PJ used to be such a fun muni and always in good shape. And PC, while not the best course was kept in good shape and good value.

don't know the time of year ... streamsong drops their rates considerably starting june 1st ... even more in july ... yes, it's hot, but it's hard to beat the quality of those courses & the hotel room for right at $200 a night ... as for rtj, it's def a trip worth making as there are multiple sites within an hour or two of each other, so you could easily play multiple courses over the trip ... plenty of places to stay and eat/etc ... courses are decent for the money ... b'ham/oxmoor valley are about 1.5 hrs from grand national in auburn, so you could easily change places, and both are close to atlanta's airport if you needed there instead of b'ham ...

Wow--thanks for all the terrific responses. Had not thought of Pinehurst. I've played most of those over the years and you are right, it could be a great value pick

In terms of timing, the next trip is mid April (right after Masters--a few in group usually luck out in the lottery), then Sept/Oct again.

Group is leaning toward RTJ in April, all of your other suggestions will definitely be on the list to check out

Appreciate your input greatly, as always!

No better value than in the Ventura/Santa Barbara area. Rustic Canyon, Ojai Valley Inn, Soule Park, Olivas Links, Buenaventura are all great courses. Could play all 5 for under $300 total. Throw in Sandpiper up the road in Santa Barbara for some ocean front golf and you've got a great trip.

Shovels
Rakes
2x4s
Baseball Bat

Lake Tahoe should be considered. Lodging isn't all that expensive and you can probably get a cabin or lodge. Genoa Lakes course is great and is a place they use to hold tour card events. Edgewood Golf, Resort at Squaw, Old Brockway, Old Greenwood (Jack Nicklaus) and South Lake Tahoe are all great courses. Edgewood would run you the most money at around $150 but all the others would be $80 or less. Awesome if you want to play mountain golf. They're all within driving distance from each other as well. The longest drive would be to the Resort at Squaw which is around 30 minutes.

• 2 weeks later...

Lake Tahoe should be considered. Lodging isn't all that expensive and you can probably get a cabin or lodge. Genoa Lakes course is great and is a place they use to hold tour card events. Edgewood Golf, Resort at Squaw, Old Brockway, Old Greenwood (Jack Nicklaus) and South Lake Tahoe are all great courses. Edgewood would run you the most money at around $150 but all the others would be $80 or less. Awesome if you want to play mountain golf. They're all within driving distance from each other as well. The longest drive would be to the Resort at Squaw which is around 30 minutes.

I love Tahoe but I found the golf to be pretty expensive when I was there a month ago. It was $230 to play Edgewood on a Monday! We opted to drive an hour to play Coyote Moon instead and that was still $160.