Does the Tour need an offseason

Hellstorm

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For guys that are independent contractors having to play to earn a living, versus other sports where players are bound by contracts, the wraparound season is almost a necessity.

This is the crux of it. I bet all the players that fight every week for their card and paychecks want a wrap around season. If the players did not want it, the PGA Tour would not have it.

This is true.

It's a 3-way dance though. It's gotta work for the players, the sponsors and the fans.

Given that this is the 5th year of the wraparound, I guess it's working for everyone.

I think they should acknowledge this period between September and January for what it is, a pre-season. The only big names involved will be recovering from injury, a poor season or working on new swing thoughts without getting skelped by big names. Stakes are low for them.

These events are crucial to journeymen, new card holders fresh off the Web.com and Euros looking to make their way early on.

They could make a feature out of these stories, giving them some exposure while accepting the big names are having a rest.

Pretty much all of the top players have an offseason through choice.

It seems a bit silly that the 2019 season starts in October of the preceding year, and that the results count towards the FedEx. I think there should be tournaments, but they certainly shouldn’t count towards the FedEx. The FedEx qualification period should start at Kapalua in January. I’d quite like these October-December tournaments to be co-sanctioned with the Web.Com tour too.

PXG 0811X Gen2 9deg Driver - AD-GP 7TX
PXG 0341X Gen2 15deg Fairway - AD-GP 8TX
PXG 0311X Gen2 1 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311X Gen2 3 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 51 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 56 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Zulu 61 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
PXG Operator H - 34.5”
Toulon Indianapolis - 34.5”
PXG 50/50 Staff Bag
Bridgestone Tour B X

KaBoom Baby!

This is all kinda what I was getting at. I am not complaining that there is golf on, and I am not begrudging the lesser players a chance to make some money against weak fields...I just have a hard time caring about the Safeway Open. The younger or lesser known guys are interesting but really, how many people just watched to see Snedeker blow that lead? That's why I watched.

Like you guys are saying....if the tour really had an opening weekend, it would be a much bigger event with all kinds of fanfare. Instead, the tournament comes on and they are all "Oh, hey, its a new golf season. Come watch these guys you never heard of play some golf". I'm sure it works for those players and the tour and the local economy but its really not all that special for fans.

Really a matter of markets. This time of year if there are smaller or developing market for an event that can pull it off and

Meet the goals, whether charity, community, or marketing based, why would you NOT have those events?

Remember one thing, from amplayers perspective, these events are opportunities for some to move up in the pecking order.

When you’re a new player or developing, there are stretches of the schedule that you don’t play much. Invitationals, majors, etc.

These events are huge opportunities for those players. If the organizers see value in it, the market revises that opportunity

Another benefit is one of these markets, may be, or develop into, a market that could replace an event that loses sponsors.

A deep schedule gives a lot of opportunity for players charities, and the tour

I think having a few events between the Tour Championship and Kapalua is alright however there's too many as it currently stands. The top players are mostly unaffected as they rarely play fall season events and if they are European may elect to play out the Race To Dubai playoffs.

Taylormade Stealth + 10.5 (Mitsubishi Kai'li White 60S)

Titleist 913F 15 (Mitsubishi Diamana S+ 70)

Titleist 712U 2I (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist 680 MB 4-W (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist Vokey SM5 50,54,58 (True Temper Dynamic Gold S200)

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 SS

ProV1

Fill the silly season with silly tournaments. Have a Skins Classic somewhere. Do match play and team events mixed in with the 72 hole stroke affairs. Have it on some compelling architecture instead of TPC Vanilla.

PGA Tour season starts with the ATT Pro-Am for me. Isn't that near the end of January?

Wrap around season or the old fall schedule there really wasn’t much of a break. Fully exempt guys still get to pick and choose their schedule abd the guys looking fir improved status abd the grinders were going to play in these type of events regardless.

There is a break in late nov thru the beginning of the year

This is all kinda what I was getting at. I am not complaining that there is golf on, and I am not begrudging the lesser players a chance to make some money against weak fields...I just have a hard time caring about the Safeway Open. The younger or lesser known guys are interesting but really, how many people just watched to see Snedeker blow that lead? That's why I watched.

You tuned in to watch Snedeker blow a lead? I think you need to turn the channel

I definitely focus less on watching the Tour during the winter months, as my excitement for the NHL season starting up is in full effect. But I still like having the option to watch golf on the weekends if I choose to. Why would anyone want LESS options to choose from?! If you don't want to watch golf, don't watch golf. But to suggest it shouldn't be an option for anyone? Come on now.

I don't understand the constant need to compare PGA TOUR to the other sports leagues...why do we need an "off-season" and "opening day" like other leagues? Those offseasons are needed because their regular season + playoffs are grueling and the players don't have the option of taking a week or two every month off to recharge their batteries.

Golf is, and has always been, a different sport...one that allows for a year-long schedule. As soon at players and (more importantly) sponsors stop seeing value in October and November events, they will go away.

Pretty much all of the top players have an offseason through choice.

It seems a bit silly that the 2019 season starts in October of the preceding year, and that the results count towards the FedEx. I think there should be tournaments, but they certainly shouldn’t count towards the FedEx. The FedEx qualification period should start at Kapalua in January. I’d quite like these October-December tournaments to be co-sanctioned with the Web.Com tour too.

Sorta was like this in the past w Fall events. But then it comes down to sponsors (FedEx pts help lure in bigger names). Also, if these aren't full credit events, highly likely Augusta doesn't give invites to the winners. That alone is worth a lot to the players.

I think it'd be great for the sport to have an offseason, build up some excitement to the west coast swing. But players want to play and there are sponsors that want to pay, so too much pressure not to make it happen.

At least now with the FedEx ending in August, it will be a little cleaner break. Basically, when football season starts, the major networks quit showing tournament golf until the new year. So these tournaments become hospitality events more than anything. It'll still be on GC for the diehards, but for every general sports fan out there it will feel like golf runs jan-aug, or with players ch moving to may, it may start to feel like season begins then even.

The wrap around gives the golfers in the bottom 50 a chance to keep their card and rack up some FedEx points while the top guys vacation. I don't mind tuning in on Thursday, Friday and Saturday to see some of the lesser known guys play especially if the weather is so bad there's not much else to do.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

It does seem a bit ridiculous to crown a FedEx Champion and then restart 2 weeks later...

With that said all the Web grads can typically get into these wrap around tournament fields so it's important for them to earn enough points to get exempted in the tournaments that begin in January. It's also nice to see a guy like Tway win for the first time. It's a window for the tour to go to Asia and expand the $port over there but if I were a top guy wouldn't bother with the Asian swing unless I received an appearance fee for doing so (which I'm strongly guessing isn't allowed)... I don't see Spieth, Rose, Rory or DJ playing in Malaysia this week and don't blame them.

I dislike it. This is October, baseball playoffs, football, looking forward to college basketball. No interest in the wrap around season. Golf season is over unless you play the Australian tour, Sunshine tour or the Asian tour. I think it’s cool to see the top players compete in the Australian Open and the PGA.

I enjoyed the occasional skins game or shootout event, I really don’t miss it till Pebble.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

From the start of October to January, the wrap-around season makes sense, but it is marketed in the wrong way. Remember the "PGA Tour Fall Series"?

In my opinion, to all golf fans, that title for it made a lot of sense, it was a series of tournaments, not really high up on the totem pole that the under card PGA Tour pros/Journeymen/Web.Com guys are playing in. This time of the year gives you more exposure to people you don't usually see.

I really think they need to name that 3 month span from October to December before Hawaii "The PGA Tour 2019-2020 Pre-Season Series". You're still accomplishing the same things Fedex Cup wise (a whole different issue in itself) but now that time of year for the views standpoint to me makes a lot more sense.