Worse finish to a round

scruffynick

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was eight under going into #16. Pin was back, went at it. Over the green dead, double. #17 par 3 pin on back again. Over again, double. I am a little hot by now. Big drive on 18 and into the grass face of a bunker that I never reach. Severe upslope. Catch a flyer over the green into the parking lot, OB. Made a nice triple. 7 over in three hole for a round of -1. Just another day in of play. Couses wins again.

Shared this in the other thread....

This weekend I had a tough front 9 45 so I decided to turn things around on the back and was even through 4 when disaster struck:

• Par 5 14th.... hit a high bomb, but tugged it left behind some trees. Had to punch out then scramble just to make bogey.

• Was determined not to go left on the next tee....pushed it right on the other side of the same trees....tried to hit a big high draw that never drew....had to chip through some more trees...hit a branch, finally up and down with 2 putts....double.

• Par 3 16, I leave it a little right.....slides down the slope to the right of the green and ends up under a tree. I have no stance, no swing, and try to basically putt it out left. Had to get cute with the chip to get it near the pin...bladed it into the back bunker. Out, then 2 putts. TRIPLE.

• At this point, my round is spiraling, and my cousin asked me to hit his new driver to see what I think....smoked one long, and a little left....it gets lost in a decorative flower bed. Drop, hit my 3rd off a tree branch, which drops straight down. Long iron to the back of the green, two putts for double.

• Determined to be in the fairway on 18, I hit driving iron, but it's off the toe and I'm in the center of the fwy, but way back. 230 left off a steep downhill lie to a peninsula green with a tight opening. Chunked my hybrid, ended up right in some...you guessed it....trees. Had to punch out. Wedge to 15 feet. 2 putt for 6.

If you're keeping score at home, that's even through 4, then FIVE 6's in a row to close with a smooth 45, exactly what I had on the front. Brutal.

Ping G425 LST 7.5* | Aldila Rogue White 70TX // TM 300 Mini 13.5 | Aldila Rogue White 80TX // Callaway Apex UW 19* | HZRDUS Smoke RDX 80 6.5 // Srixon ZX U 20* | Recoil Proto 110 F5 // Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo 5-PW // CTaper  Lite 115X | Cleveland CBX2 50/56* | DG 115 Wedge // 37" Odyssey 5K Tri-Hot Triple Wide

I made a quad on the par 4 18th on both days of the club scratch championship to miss out on the play-off by 1

The guy I was playing with had won it a number of times and was one ahead of me teeing off on the 36th yet also made a quad to join the play-off.

That was a seriously ugly hole.

The following year I was playing horrible in the first round and played the last 4 holes in 5 under to shoot level par including a hole in one on the 230 yd par 3 16th. Sums up the game.

I've got another entry from yesterday when I had the craziest round ever.

So going along nicely at level par thru 6 and then make double on the long par 3 7th. I then lipped out with my tee shot on the 170 yard 8th finishing 3 inches behind the hole. Next hole 400 yard par 4 I holed my second shot with the Hi toe wedge I stuck in the bag 3 weeks ago. Followed that up with a birdie at the 180 yard 10th to have a 2-2-2 run and 2 under thru 10. A few scrappy holes but then had a hole in one at the 130 yard 16th with the 790's that have been in the bag for 2 months to get it to 4 under thru 16.

Missed the green on 17 and didn't get up and down. 18 long par 5 uphill, I layed up in two and just fell off into the left hand rough. Ball really sitting down and caught a horrible flyer from 75 yards into a dead spot and made 7! So dropped 3 in the last two holes for one under and had every score from 1 to 7 on the card. Crazy......

Just now. Nice 9-hole neighborhood course I play all the time. Playing lights out, but consciously not adding up score because I know I'm playing well. Turns out, I"m a bogey away from breaking my record, with nothing but a short (like, 120 yards) par-3 left. Hitting into strong wind, pure the 9i. Except, it's going right. Chip onto the green a little far, but nothing catastrophic.

Three puts.

Two stories for me.

1) -3 with 4 holes to play, never went sub 70 before. Standing with a short iron in my hand on 15, pulled that shot into a bunker and bogeyed, two holes later completely lay the sod over a 9i and double that hole. Had to scramble for par from the trees on 18 to shoot even.

2) Bandon Dunes this past fall, standing on 18 tee, a par 5, at even par thinking I've got a shot at birdie and a 71. Proceed to block my tee shot right and into the ravine. Drop at the ravine thinking I still salvage my par and completely top that shot. Eventually take my medicine and two shots to the green and 1 putt for a 74. What could have been.

• 2 weeks later...

Well did it again.... I'm gutted. Got it to just one over after 13 holes, hit a ok drive up 14 and hit a decent second but I bunkered it.... It was right in the face and horrid! A few swipes and ended up with a snowman... Friggin 8! Followed up with a double... Carded another 78. This feels like a kick in the teeth as I played really well....oh well on the brandy!

Well had a really good round going today, and after I'd birdied the 12th things were really looking good..... Then even after back to back bogies on 14&15 which are 2 tough holes I wasn't too fussed. Then it went t!ts up.... Spectacularly!! Just had a mare of a finish, worse I that I can remember. A few pints helped after as I sat there with my playing partners wondering WTF just happened.. So come on we've all done it, what's your worse finish youve done to a round!?

2003. California State Am Qualifier. 3-under with one to play at Spring Valley Lake CC in Victorville, CA. Shanked a 6-iron and triple-bogeyed the185-yard downhill par-3 18th to miss by one.

2003. Southern California Amateur Qualifier at Rancho California Golf Club in Murrieta, CA. 2-under with one to play. double-bogey the 18th hole to shoot even, which put me in a playoff. Hit a 9-iron to 15 feet on the first playoff hole and promptly 3-jacked to miss out.

2003. U.S. Mid-Am Qualifier. 3-under at Desert Island Country Club in Rancho Mirage, CA with one hole to play. I triple-bogeyed the last hole to shoot even and miss by one.

I cried on the drive home after this one. Yes, all of those really happened. Yes, in the same year. Yes, back-to-back-to-back. Yes. I really choked that badly back then.

THEN, in 2004, I broke through and shot 69 (one behind current PGA Tour player and then senior in high school Cameron Tringale!) to qualify for the SCGA Amateur. After that, I went on a run where I qualified for just about everything in California and even had some nice finishes for about five years in a row. Good times. :-)

Good for you for not giving up!

Roy McAvoy on No. 18... Brutal

I was about to say that.....agree.....brutal. I mean, it cost him the US Open!

I was played pretty well (for me) +14 through 15 at a pretty difficult course I had never played before and finished 8-4-9-10, wasnt particularly meaningful but it stung I just have no idea what happened.

You played 19 holes?

4 over after 11 went 9 over over the next 7. 3 doubles on 3 putts. Missed putts all had a chance to go in. Hit an acorn on one green on a good chip up to elevated green. The ball went sideways.

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

• 2 weeks later...

Have shared this too many times here but this is the worst thing I've ever done on a golf course.

Playing with a course super and GM on a Monday night after work. Changed in the parking lot, not a practice swing. Not really doing anything special until driving the short par 4 8th hole and making a 3 foot putt for eagle. Birdied both par 5's on the back. We were playing fast and in such a great rhythm. Stopped on the 17th tee to wait for the group on the green and the super asked if I was 3 or 4 under. I'm a double digit handicap playing the round of my life and hadn't looked at the scorecard. Made the mistake of adding up the score and it turned out I was 2 under and about to break par for the first time in 45 years of golfing with a chance to shoot in the 60's (par 71 course). 17th hole is an uphill par 3 around 170 and my tee shot was on the right fringe. Hit an unforgivable chip and 3 putted for double.

Back to even.

18 is a short par 4 that I've birdied many times and the thought is I can still shoot under par. Nice drive with a wedge into the green. Took dead aim at the flag and as soon as I hit it, I knew the line was perfect. However...I hadn't accounted for the adrenaline and hit the ball 30 yards over the green. Tripled the hole and went from -2 to +3.

As a double digit index, 74 was still a nice round but to quote the band Little Texas..."What might have been."

Putting 5 OB on the Par 4 18th in a junior comp when a 6 would have won it....

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/size][/font][/color][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Matrix Ozik R[/size][/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/size][/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]HiRev[/size][/color][/font]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/size][/color][/font]

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if its the worse, but it definitely stands out because it was fairly recent.

On 17, sitting at a 70...I've been trying to break 80 all year (lots of scores right at and around 80) and this felt like the moment; 17 is a par 3, 18 is a par 5 (eagleable one at that).

17 is a ~165 yard peninsula style par 3...all i want to do is get it on the green. I end up hanging it out to the right, hits off the front right, bounces, rolls, into the water. Damn! Hit a crappy wedge onto the green, 2 putt for a 5.

I try to shake it off and move on to 18. There is a body of water that runs sort of parallel through the middle of the hole, so the safe shot is to layup to the wide part of the fairway, it gets more narrow and dangerous as you advance. I decide to go with driver and hit it well (for me that's about 270), leaving me in a good position for my 2nd. I felt like I had to get greedy and go for it in two...i was only about 230 out, although the fairway gets narrow as you approach the green and it's kind of protected by long wild grass. Grab the trusty 2 hybrid...hit it beautifully...wait...noooo...overdraw it/hook it just short of the green. OK, no problem, it can't be that bad. Get to my ball, and its buried. To wrap up this drawn out story, I hack it out to about 20 ft and two putt for an 80.

Qualifying for states in 10th grade. Back then if you qualified for states from my section when you're in 10th grade, you're practically guaranteed to play D-1 golf...somewhere.

I didn't get to play a practice round because my coach's wife was sick and he had to tend to her. I go out on the front nine and shoot 34 (-2), lowest front nine in the tournament.

I can't remember it all clearly because it was so long ago and I only played the course that one time....but it went something like this:

I didn't know where the holes went and on the front nine I would just ask my playing partners 'is the green over to the left?' and they would tell me. When I got on the back nine, one of the playing partners quit. Then when I asked the other playing partner (who was going to play at UVA), he refused to tell me. All I was asking was where the green was at. I guess that could be considered as soliciting advice, but then again...I'm not a rules dork. He was just doing it because I was beating the pants off him and the following two summers I made it my personal mission to beat him every tournament we played together and I almost did.

Anyway...I bogey the 10th hole after hitting...what I thought was a perfect drive. The problem was that you can't hit the drive down the middle because there's a stupid tree in your way (would have been nice if I had a practice round to find that out). I had to lay-up and I ended up missing a 3-footer and made bogey.

I then get on #14, a par-3 and I hit a tee shot short of the green and then blade my Ping Eye 2 Sand Wedge (which I promptly snapped over my knee in front of the clubhouse after the tournament was done) into the water and make triple.

I then get on #15, having never played the hole before and hit a perfect drive right down the middle...only to find out there was water there that you can't see off the tee. Make bogey.

#16 was a sharp dogleg left, hit a good drive...but too far and under a huge oak tree and have no shot...make bogey.

I can't remember what I did on #17 except for making a bogey. Then I got on #18 and missed a 5-footer and made bogey.

I ended up shooting 78 and I ended up in a 3-way playoff. That was also the lowest score ever recorded in the state qualifier to not make states.

We start on #16 and I have no clue what to hit because I just hit a perfect drive that went too far under an oak tree....and with about 200 people watching I sky one, hack around and make bogey.

I then snapped my wedge in two in front of everybody...looking really bad. Just an awful, awful day.

RH

Qualifying for states in 10th grade. Back then if you qualified for states from my section when you're in 10th grade, you're practically guaranteed to play D-1 golf...somewhere.

I didn't get to play a practice round because my coach's wife was sick and he had to tend to her. I go out on the front nine and shoot 34 (-2), lowest front nine in the tournament.

I can't remember it all clearly because it was so long ago and I only played the course that one time....but it went something like this:

I didn't know where the holes went and on the front nine I would just ask my playing partners 'is the green over to the left?' and they would tell me. When I got on the back nine, one of the playing partners quit. Then when I asked the other playing partner (who was going to play at UVA), he refused to tell me. All I was asking was where the green was at. I guess that could be considered as soliciting advice, but then again...I'm not a rules dork. He was just doing it because I was beating the pants off him and the following two summers I made it my personal mission to beat him every tournament we played together and I almost did.

Anyway...I bogey the 10th hole after hitting...what I thought was a perfect drive. The problem was that you can't hit the drive down the middle because there's a stupid tree in your way (would have been nice if I had a practice round to find that out). I had to lay-up and I ended up missing a 3-footer and made bogey.

I then get on #14, a par-3 and I hit a tee shot short of the green and then blade my Ping Eye 2 Sand Wedge (which I promptly snapped over my knee in front of the clubhouse after the tournament was done) into the water and make triple.

I then get on #15, having never played the hole before and hit a perfect drive right down the middle...only to find out there was water there that you can't see off the tee. Make bogey.

#16 was a sharp dogleg left, hit a good drive...but too far and under a huge oak tree and have no shot...make bogey.

I can't remember what I did on #17 except for making a bogey. Then I got on #18 and missed a 5-footer and made bogey.

I ended up shooting 78 and I ended up in a 3-way playoff. That was also the lowest score ever recorded in the state qualifier to not make states.

We start on #16 and I have no clue what to hit because I just hit a perfect drive that went too far under an oak tree....and with about 200 people watching I sky one, hack around and make bogey.

I then snapped my wedge in two in front of everybody...looking really bad. Just an awful, awful day.

RH

Have you snapped any clubs since?

I’ll just list the few that come to mind right off the bat:

- Went out in 33 and came home in 44

- The first time I had the chance to break par I was -1 on the 18th tee and made double bogey

- The first time I had the chance to shoot 69 I three putted the final green for a bogey and a round of -2, 70

Those rounds were all ages ago now. I’m happy to report that I’ve broken par numerous times and have even broken 70 once since then. Brutal at the time though, just brutal.

In the Hoofer

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke 🔹🔹🔹 10.5° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 6-X
TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 15° | Mitsubishi TENSEI CK Pro White 70 S
TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 19° | Mitsubishi TENSEI CK Pro White 70 S

Mizuno Pro 221 4-PW | Project X Rifle 6.0

Titleist Vokey SM9 52°, 56°, 60° | Project X Rifle 6.0

Odyssey Ai-ONE Seven CH | KBS CT Tour
Titleist ProV1

• 2 weeks later...