Miura 1957 Small Blade/Baby Blade enthusiasts thread! (Lots of enabling and physics lessons inside)

PopIt&DropIt

Built for a friend in the Great White North. Shimada Tour with Grip Master. I may do a very similar build with mine.

Looks like a great build. Why the one-off grip on the 6-iron?

The one-off grip is something my buddy likes to do with his builds.

I just put together a set of unfilled satin with Shimada Tour 115, a build I’ve been wanting to do for some time. I’ll post pics when they’re dry and gripped.

Rebby, I've got extras of the BB should you want/need. :D

He has more than one set already, cause he sucks. ;)

Settle down, I only have 3 sets of BBs at the moment.

With one more set than me, yes, u suk.

Tcann32 it's almost worth it to switch to playing RH. Just sayin'.

kaaayelll don't forget I'm still in line for a 1i BB head. And that build is gorgeous. Chocolate Sluts.

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

Don't let him fool you, he has one of the few black oxide lefty Miura blade sets out there.

Stealth2+ 9 Atmos RWB 6x / MyStealth+ 9 Atmos Blue 6x | Stealth2+ 15, Ventus Red 8x
TI P770 2 | P770 3, P7MC 4-5, P7MB 6-9 / Miura 1957 4-9, $-Taper 125
TI MG3 46, 50, 54, $-Taper 125 | TI MG3 58 / HT 58, KBS Tour 120 SS
Mann Mini / Cameron CT, MC Smooth | TP5x | My WITB Thread

Don't let him fool you, he has one of the few black oxide lefty Miura blade sets out there.

That's like riding a black albino unicorn.

So jelly.

Registered Bladeocrat

If anyone is umming and erring on getting a set, just do it!

Every round under my belt with mine I learn to love and appreciate them that little bit more

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Taylormade Stealth Pro
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG3 TW 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x v’s Chrome Tour 

If anyone is umming and erring on getting a set, just do it!

Every round under my belt with mine I learn to love and appreciate them that little bit more

Amen to that! I've been playing my BBs for three years now and still keep loving them more and more. (Pro Tip: If they ever 'lose their luster', go play any other set of irons for a while and then go back to the BBs...it will rekindle the flame.)

And you should appreciate them even more now that they are obsolete and Miura and Miura-Giken are phasing out blade designs as I feared from their buy-out. I just browsed both websites and it is sad. The "blades" offered are a shadow of the BB and Miuraism and Tournament TB designs. So sad.

Registered Bladeocrat

jwcgolfer those are beautiful. The 'All American Girls'. So patriotic!

I'm very interested in how you like and how those BB grind wedges play.

Registered Bladeocrat

Thank Guys!

I will let you know how the wedges play next week when I give them the full gamut this weekend.

I have typically been a Vokey player, but though id give these a shot.

Hitting them off a premium hitting mat compared to Vokey they definitely sounded better to me, not as clunky sounding.

I also hate how big wegdes have become, these are more appealing to my eye (those Callaway Hi-Toe wedges look ridiculous)

And with how mental this game is, I just want to look down and say "Yeah that looks right!"

Thank Guys!

I will let you know how the wedges play next week when I give them the full gamut this weekend.

Hitting them off a premium hitting mat compared to Vokey they definitely sounded better to me, not as clunky sounding.

I also hate how big wegdes have become, these are more appealing to my eye (those Callaway Hi-Toe wedges look ridiculous)

And with how mental this game is, I just want to look down and say "Yeah that looks right!"

Agreed. Have 2 sets of Hand Grind Baby Blade Wedges myself!

I’m trying to understand how much smaller the B.B. are compared to my Mizuno MP33’s. Anyone got numbers or can point me in the right direction?!

Ping G400 - 8.5 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV X-Stiff

Callaway Epic Flash - 3W - Fujikura 757 TR 

Callaway Epic Flash - 5W - HZRDUS Smoke 

Mizuno MP20 - 4-7 MMC, 8-P MB - Project X LZ

Vokey SM6 - 52/56/60 - DG S200

Evnroll - ER5 

Recent build mentioned above...sans paint fill, plus some wedges that have been sitting far too long.

Wow!!!! Love it!

Evnroll - ER5 

Recent build mentioned above...sans paint fill, plus some wedges that have been sitting far too long.

Just beautiful, need some K Grind wedges in my life!

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Taylormade Stealth Pro
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG3 TW 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x v’s Chrome Tour 

I’m trying to understand how much smaller the B.B. are compared to my Mizuno MP33’s. Anyone got numbers or can point me in the right direction?!

You might find this useful.

http://fairwaygolf.c...tleist-716-mbs/

If you can play MP33's, you will not have any trouble hitting baby blades. They're small, but once you get used to it, it's like swinging a normal golf club. The real trip is going back to a player's CB - they all look like shovels to me now.

edit: also this

post-14694-016775400%201321607921.gif

TheMarvelousOne ...

This is data that WRXer Bigmean took with calipers and measuring various dimensions between his BBs and MP-14s. He collected the info and being an engiNERD I converted it to a bar chart.

Registered Bladeocrat

TheMarvelousOne these are visual comparison pics between BBs and Retro TBs and MP29s

Registered Bladeocrat

Thanks everyone. I figured I'd receive some backlash for not doing enough research before asking :)

Evnroll - ER5 

Thanks everyone. I figured I'd receive some backlash for not doing enough research before asking :)

FWIW I hit the MP33s (dan360's) side by side with my BBs and some Miura-Giken Hagane blades and the BBs had the (slightly) best feel and performance. dan360 felt the same and it was what convinced him to get his BB set. The MP33s are awesome irons. Arguably the best Mizuno iron ever, but still the BBs are a slightly better in terms of design and steel quality.

Registered Bladeocrat

FWIW I hit the MP33s (dan360's) side by side with my BBs and some Miura-Giken Hagane blades and the BBs had the (slightly) best feel and performance. dan360 felt the same and it was what convinced him to get his BB set. The MP33s are awesome irons. Arguably the best Mizuno iron ever, but still the BBs are a slightly better in terms of design and steel quality.

That's awesome! I know a set of BB's will be in my future, just not sure when!

Evnroll - ER5 

Look forward to reading about your BB journey! Also, I made the transition to my first set from MP67s. I had similar concerns as you about size differences until I compared BB 6i to my MP67 6i on a real turf range. It is a visual adjustment for sure but really there is nothing to fear. If you think about your own "hit dispersion" pattern on the face of your irons and them compare the size of it to the face of a BB, the pattern "fits" fine on the BB face! Sure, it's theoretically possible that an extreme toe hit on a BB won't make good contact as compared to a longer face iron, but in the grand scheme of things this is a very marginal benefit.

Where the margins matter a little more is in the exposed surface area of the clubhead to the ground. The smaller BB head simply will interact LESS with turf and grass and such to increase the chances of unhindered impact with the ball. True, this benefit will be minor comparing it with another blade like the MP33, but still in my experience it is noticable if you spend a lot of time comparing how the two clubs perform. And again I notice this as a difference with my MP67s and Retro TBs as compared to my BBs.

So in conclusion, have no fear that you will hit BBs any worse than your MP33s. There's ZERO technical justification for it and moreover there is an actual (minor) benefit!

(LOL but...if you were playing FUGLY and technically inferior SGI clubs with behemoth soles, you would reap an even bigger relative benefit by going to BBs!)

Registered Bladeocrat

Look forward to reading about your BB journey! Also, I made the transition to my first set from MP67s. I had similar concerns as you about size differences until I compared BB 6i to my MP67 6i on a real turf range. It is a visual adjustment for sure but really there is nothing to fear. If you think about your own "hit dispersion" pattern on the face of your irons and them compare the size of it to the face of a BB, the pattern "fits" fine on the BB face! Sure, it's theoretically possible that an extreme toe hit on a BB won't make good contact as compared to a longer face iron, but in the grand scheme of things this is a very marginal benefit.

Where the margins matter a little more is in the exposed surface area of the clubhead to the ground. The smaller BB head simply will interact LESS with turf and grass and such to increase the chances of unhindered impact with the ball. True, this benefit will be minor comparing it with another blade like the MP33, but still in my experience it is noticable if you spend a lot of time comparing how the two clubs perform. And again I notice this as a difference with my MP67s and Retro TBs as compared to my BBs.

So in conclusion, have no fear that you will hit BBs any worse than your MP33s. There's ZERO technical justification for it and moreover there is an actual (minor) benefit!

(LOL but...if you were playing FUGLY and technically inferior SGI clubs with behemoth soles, you would reap an even bigger relative benefit by going to BBs!)

Haha! No fear here regarding the size of the irons! More like fear of my wife finding out I spent $1000 on a set of iron heads when I haven't even replaced her SUV that I totaled a year ago!

Evnroll - ER5 

Haha! No fear here regarding the size of the irons! More like fear of my wife finding out I spent $1000 on a set of iron heads when I haven't even replaced her SUV that I totaled a year ago!

LOL I can help you from the sham of golf club "forgiveness", but marital forgiveness is way too complicated!

FWIW it took two years before my wife collected on me buying two brand new sets of BBs. LOL I just bought her a fancy new keyboard and she is all good now. You may have to sweeten the SUV deal by upgrading it.

Registered Bladeocrat

Thank Guys!

Was in Hilton Head this past weekend played roughly 108 holes of golf. And found that I am hitting the Miura Irons about 5 yards further on average longer then my Titleist 716MB. I also don't seem to notice as big of a gap on miss hits as I notice with the 716MBs. Ball flight very similar. I found if I really try to step on one and Pure it, I can get it up to about 10 yards longer.

My 716MBs were shafted with KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff. Where my Miura Baby Blades are equipped with Nippon Modus 105S

My final round of the trip was Monday at Harbour Town where I shot a 79 (42 front / 37 back) I had everything dialed in and working on the back nine. And holy $H1T I love the Usher's Baby Blade grind!!!! my wedge play and around the green chipping game was exceptional all weekend!!!

These irons are gonna be a staple in my bag for a long time. I still need to work on the lie angles I feel, I need to verify if they are bent 1-2* upright based off US standard or close to Titleist 716mbs or Miura Japan Standard, as at times they feel a bit flat.

Nicely done. Do you notice much difference between the KBS and Nippon's?

Driver: Wishon 919thi 11* w/AXE 6 stiff
FW: Wishon 949mc 16.5* w/AXE FW Stiff
3-4 Hybrids: Wishon 775hs w/ S2S White Stiff
Irons: Miura CB-1008 w/Nippon Modus 105 S
Putter: Ping Ketsch Heavy 34" 2 degrees flat
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0