Are you kidding me!! How come few instructors talk about this!!!!

Lamb

Just a short clip done indoors since it's cold here. All I'm trying to show is how my lead shoulder works up and out from the very beginning. Hopefully I can get some outdoor stuff done tomorrow.

wait...what is that clip showing...?

I feel like I lost 3 seconds of my life b/c I watched it 3x felling like I may have missed something...SHAME ON ME

Nice long con btw. as I see you've been around for a while...very strong!

"Long con." Love it.

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

Just a short clip done indoors since it's cold here. All I'm trying to show is how my lead shoulder works up and out from the very beginning. Hopefully I can get some outdoor stuff done tomorrow.

I feel like I lost 3 seconds of my life b/c I watched it 3x felling like I may have missed something...SHAME ON ME

"Long con." Love it.

lmao I haven't seen that approach to trolling. Very nice!

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

"Long con." Love it.

An impressive setup. Very patient, 8 years in the waiting, a few benign posts here and there not to throw anyone, then bam! From out of nowhere. And we never knew we were The Mark this whole time.

"Long con." Love it.

An impressive setup. Very patient, 8 years in the waiting, a few benign posts here and there not to throw anyone, then bam! From out of nowhere. And we never knew we were The Mark this whole time.

Drop the mic moment to be sure!

I just watched it again and I’m legitimately laughing now. Very well played.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

I didn’t watch it. Now I think I should

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

The lead side staying down longer maintains width in the arms, eliminates EE, and creates more shaft lean. It happens as left leg increases in flex and left side bend increases. You will actually see hip tilts steepen in transition.

If lead hip gets in front of lead knee the leg will straighten too early and left side will raise too early. So it’s not as simple as transitioning to lead side

Thank you! Much appreciated.

TLDR: before chasing this, I needed to sort my backswing right

Im guilty of a flat shoulder turn and too much tilting too soon in the downswing. Lifetime effects: low point issues (mainly fat but thinning too, high dynamic loft spins, all kinds of compensating to keep ball in play and BOY O BOY lots of lower right back pain!! Ouch. I€™ve been playing like this for 20 years. For the past few months Ive been obsessively chasing this elusive transition move and yesterday I think Ive figured it out - still too early though but I€™m excited. Here i€™s what I did:

As someone (or a few others) mentioned earlier here, I could NOT achieve the lowering of my lead shoulder because my backswing was still wacky - just not steep and fully rotating behind the ball enough. I was essentially cheating with an arms lift move. Once I got the proper BS down - Im talking full coil and no arm over run, it allowed me the feeling/confidence of having room to actually get my left arm off the chest faster in transition without my previous feeling/result of digging the club a foot behind the ball. For me, tilting immediately from the top was a result of a faulty BS - thats what i had to do to hit the darn ball! Sorry if I€™m not communicating this effectively. The range session and vids were promising and I took it on the course for 18. Lets just say I€™ve never struck the ball as straight and as effortlessly as i did yesterday. My mates were in awe as they€™ve never seen my ball this straight and this consistent. I was most impressed with the low point of my irons - no more hitting 3 inches behind the friggin ball! And guess what? Lower back pain was limited and not just concentrated to the lower right! For me that was a sign that i wasn€™t excessively/aggressively tilting from the top - even my normal urge to kill the ball from the top was naturally subdued being in this fully coiled BS position. Of course Ive got a lot of work ahead but the light bulb went off yesterday. Ball flight was lower and compression was off the chart for me.

Edit: Thanks Dan and Monte for these many lessons over the years insisting i fix my backswing first and foremost. Sorry for being a bad student but Im just stubborn!

The lead side staying down longer maintains width in the arms, eliminates EE, and creates more shaft lean. It happens as left leg increases in flex and left side bend increases. You will actually see hip tilts steepen in transition.

If lead hip gets in front of lead knee the leg will straighten too early and left side will raise too early. So it's not as simple as transitioning to lead side

Thank you! Much appreciated.

+1

I was trying this last night and the glean of 'If lead hip gets in front of lead knee'. was a key for me in getting this to work in ways it has not before. Good stuff.

Interesting thread which has got me wondering if there is a half way house for those having difficulty increasing the lead leg flex and increasing lead side bend.

If you were to move the lead hip over the lead knee without raising the lead side, allowing the shoulders to open in transition while the arms drop to P5/6 would that do it.

Sorry if it's not clear but I'm trying to envisage if there is a way to prevent the lead side from raising and the lead shoulder coming up and around even if the lowering of the lead side is not possible for the golfer. A way of eliminating the bad even if the ideal is not yet attainable.

All comments are made from the point of
view of my learning and not a claim
to expertise.

Interesting thread which has got me wondering if there is a half way house for those having difficulty increasing the lead leg flex and increasing lead side bend.

If you were to move the lead hip over the lead knee without raising the lead side, allowing the shoulders to open in transition while the arms drop to P5/6 would that do it.

Sorry if it's not clear but I'm trying to envisage if there is a way to prevent the lead side from raising and the lead shoulder coming up and around even if the lowering of the lead side is not possible for the golfer. A way of eliminating the bad even if the ideal is not yet attainable.

Have to make sure you extended properly in the backswing...not too much :-)

Have to make sure shaft isn’t getting vertical and/or club isn’t getting too open.

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

You don’t want the hip over the knee. The knee should be in front of left hip

You don't want the hip over the knee. The knee should be in front of left hip

poor description on my part - I meant laterally not forward so would a better description be hip over the lead foot with the leg still flexed. The knee would be in front ie nearer the target line than the hip.

to expertise.

Just curious, why would you think it's not possible?

Like many things in golf it's counter intuitive. When I try it feels like the club is steepening and wants to come over the top. Blenhard made a good post earlier when he said;

' I think there is some misinterpretation of what is actually happening. The left shoulder is not "turning" forward and moving down. In the initial stages of transition, the shoulders do not turn (think keep back to target). The lowering and forward motion of the lead shoulder is caused by the increase in "flexion" of legs, rib cage, etc. The whole body is lowering (includes the head) and moving forward which increases pressure on the lead foot. Centre of mass and centre of pressure are moving forward and down into left leg (probably not expressed correctly, but that what it feels like).

You are now ready to unwind the shoulders (arms have already dropped down into P5/P6). Lower half is now opening up and lead shoulder is now beginning its upward and backward movement. Lead leg is beginning to straighten - this is the "jump" up that shallows the club and provides parametric acceleration to the club. When you are at P6, you should feel ready to spring up.'

Iteach added;

'The shoulders are opening as the lead side lowers. But most of that is correct' .

A lot of the comment have been about lowering whereas the other way of looking at it is that the lead shoulder stays down. I'm trying to think of it in stages - staying down first as a fault correction then lowering if I can get the first bit.

The shorter answer is LOFT.

to expertise.

poor description on my part - I meant laterally not forward so would a better description be hip over the lead foot with the leg still flexed. The knee would be in front ie nearer the target line than the hip.

Why is the lead hip behind the lead foot at the top of the swing? The lateral part is extremely easy and 99% of people don’t have to think about it in the downswing when the backswing is good

Why is the lead hip behind the lead foot at the top of the swing? The lateral part is extremely easy and 99% of people don't have to think about it in the downswing when the backswing is good

I'm doing a poor job of describing things here. I'm not sure I can answer the first sentence because I don't know how to interpret 'behind'. The lead hip moves laterally away from the target then back as you say.

I meant hip moving back laterally as a move in transition - moving the pressure from the trail side to the lead side but without straightening the lead leg. I'm struggling with the lowering aspect and am trying to envisage a move which keeps the lead shoulder down rather than coming up. Maybe there is no half way house

to expertise.

Why is the lead hip behind the lead foot at the top of the swing? The lateral part is extremely easy and 99% of people don't have to think about it in the downswing when the backswing is good

I'm doing a poor job of describing things here. I'm not sure I can answer the first sentence because I don't know how to interpret 'behind'. The lead hip moves laterally away from the target then back as you say.

I meant hip moving back laterally as a move in transition - moving the pressure from the trail side to the lead side but without straightening the lead leg. I'm struggling with the lowering aspect and am trying to envisage a move which keeps the lead shoulder down rather than coming up. Maybe there is no half way house

No I understand what you’re saying. I’m asking why are you moving left hip away from the target in the backswing? You don’t have to physically move laterally to shift pressure. I think your issues are caused by misconceptions you think you should be doing.

Like many things in golf it's counter intuitive. When I try it feels like the club is steepening and wants to come over the top. Blenhard made a good post earlier when he said;

' I think there is some misinterpretation of what is actually happening. The left shoulder is not "turning" forward and moving down. In the initial stages of transition, the shoulders do not turn (think keep back to target). The lowering and forward motion of the lead shoulder is caused by the increase in "flexion" of legs, rib cage, etc. The whole body is lowering (includes the head) and moving forward which increases pressure on the lead foot. Centre of mass and centre of pressure are moving forward and down into left leg (probably not expressed correctly, but that what it feels like).

You are now ready to unwind the shoulders (arms have already dropped down into P5/P6). Lower half is now opening up and lead shoulder is now beginning its upward and backward movement. Lead leg is beginning to straighten - this is the "jump" up that shallows the club and provides parametric acceleration to the club. When you are at P6, you should feel ready to spring up.'

Iteach added;

'The shoulders are opening as the lead side lowers. But most of that is correct' .

A lot of the comment have been about lowering whereas the other way of looking at it is that the lead shoulder stays down. I'm trying to think of it in stages - staying down first as a fault correction then lowering if I can get the first bit.

The shorter answer is LOFT.

Perhaps Monte's take on it is key, one of the caveats of this whole thing is properly extending in the backswing first. For me it doesn't feel like an OTT move at all, it feels more like getting back to where I started. It also has an opposite effect (for me at least) in terms of presented loft at impact. I would drop my right shoulder/ left shoulder up to come from the inside, stall/flip and could hit huge moon balls (esp with lofted clubs). When I get this right I can actually flight down my wedges now without trying to manipulate the club with my hands

Question. Can this be though of as more of a barrel roll instead of a swivel? Or would that be way off track and don't start down that road? The way this is explained seems lacking. I get the regain the flexion and move forward and that really seems like the spine is moving on its own arc, with the shoulders rotating on that arc, it would seem more like a barrel roll.

Edit: Forget I posted this. Horrible, I couldn't even wrap my mind about how to do it once I got a club in my hand.

In the bag

Driver: Taylormade Sim2 Max 9*

4w: Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero

Hybrid:  Apex 19 3h 20*

Hybrid:  Apex 19 4h 23*

Irons: Callaway Apex CF 19 5i-AW

W1: Vokey SM7 54* S

W2: Vokey SM8 60* L

Putter: Swag Handsome Too

One simple way that worked today (this kind of feel is iffy... will it work tomorrow? Who knows but maybe). This idea of extension in the backswing - it’s a new feeling - to extend plus left tilt. But this led to a feel of ‘extend, then crunch, then extend again.’ Sort of took the complexity out of it. And led to a lot of great shots on the range. But the extension going back sets the rest in motion. At least today.

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

One simple way that worked today (this kind of feel is iffy... will it work tomorrow? Who knows but maybe). This idea of extension in the backswing - it’s a new feeling - to extend plus left tilt. But this led to a feel of ‘extend, then crunch, then extend again.’ Sort of took the complexity out of it. And led to a lot of great shots on the range. But the extension going back sets the rest in motion. At least today.

Yeah and (for me at least )throw in getting left arm off chest sooner too. Get shoulder away from head, get arm off of chest, increase flexion of left side, "crunch angles". This is the 'swing down hill ' by another name, isn't it? Monte at times mentioned the motion of (properly) throwing a frisbee. Lead shoulder goes down and target bound and arm gets off chest, same thing imho.Trick is knee and hips. Dan's comment on that is gold to me, because that was my fail, too much sway, too level and not enough (tailbone back) rotation. Had a range session two nights ago and I was striping them from wedge to driver locking in these feels. Good stuff here.

When I move correctly, extending in the back swing whilst getting the left shoulder down and then staying in posture in the down swing with the chest still away from the target and the left arm launching forward away from the chin it feels that I am ridiculously bend forward and crushing into the ground. On video it looks pretty good though and I am hitting the ball straighter and longer.

After my disastrous attempt of attempting the barrel move, I worked on more of the extension, regain flexion that is being talked about. Pretty impressed with the results. I think in my good swings I am doing this to begin with, but my bad swings I never regain that flexion, and end up compensating for it. Everyone feels swing mechanics different, and hopefully I am getting this. I was able to hit some drives doing this, which was great. Anyway, my feels; at setup you have flexion towards the ball and some flexion to the right for secondary tilt. During the back swing you lose your right tilt in favor of left tilt towards the ball and you extend your forward flexion to match your initial secondary tilt at address. Now at the top you effectively squat and regain some of your forward flexion, but really this isn't pointed towards the ball anymore, it is behind the ball, (this will perform the zipper away to 10:30 for you). Once you have regained some of your forward flexion, you can now start to lose your left tilt as you drive through the ball. If this is true, then early extension really is just losing left tilt, without regaining forward flexion. Maybe??

In the bag

Driver: Taylormade Sim2 Max 9*

4w: Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero

Hybrid:  Apex 19 3h 20*

Hybrid:  Apex 19 4h 23*

Irons: Callaway Apex CF 19 5i-AW

W1: Vokey SM7 54* S

W2: Vokey SM8 60* L

Putter: Swag Handsome Too

After my disastrous attempt of attempting the barrel move, I worked on more of the extension, regain flexion that is being talked about. Pretty impressed with the results. I think in my good swings I am doing this to begin with, but my bad swings I never regain that flexion, and end up compensating for it. Everyone feels swing mechanics different, and hopefully I am getting this. I was able to hit some drives doing this, which was great. Anyway, my feels; at setup you have flexion towards the ball and some flexion to the right for secondary tilt. During the back swing you lose your right tilt in favor of left tilt towards the ball and you extend your forward flexion to match your initial secondary tilt at address. Now at the top you effectively squat and regain some of your forward flexion, but really this isn't pointed towards the ball anymore, it is behind the ball, (this will perform the zipper away to 10:30 for you). Once you have regained some of your forward flexion, you can now start to lose your left tilt as you drive through the ball. If this is true, then early extension really is just losing left tilt, without regaining forward flexion. Maybe??

Early extension is just what it says: you are extending early so need to stay longer in flexion.