Cobra One Length trial promotion

Qwiklap

Why would the lie angles not all be the same if all the lengths are the same?

And why are the shorter irons flatter? I have my PW/GW/LW at 65.5 at 36"...seems odd.

I asked about that -- and this was the response. Cobra found that with first gen (F7 and Forged) OL clubs - with constant lie angles -- that players tended to pull/hook the short clubs and push/slice the long. The lie angles are meant to address that tendency.

Titleist TSR2 9* w/ Tensei Pro Orange CK 60TX

Titleist TSR2+ 14.5* w/ Graphite Design AD-DI 7S

Titleist TSR3 18* w/ Graphite Design AD-IZ 8S

Titleist u505 3i 20* w/ Graphite Design AD-IZ 9S

Srixon ZX4 MkII w/ Project X LZ 6.0 5-PW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50@49* - Mizuno T22 54* - Taylormade High Toe 58*

LAB Golf Mezz Max Broom 79.5* lie, 45" or one of my Armlocks

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV or Maxfli Tour X

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And why are the shorter irons flatter? I have my PW/GW/LW at 65.5 at 36"...seems odd.

I asked about that -- and this was the response. Cobra found that with first gen (F7 and Forged) OL clubs - with constant lie angles -- that players tended to pull/hook the short clubs and push/slice the long. The lie angles are meant to address that tendency.

Thats the official response. As someone who did play the F8 OL from when they first came out in Feb to about July, thats plenty of rounds and range time - the difference in the lie angle really threw me out. First, I loved the flatter higher irons, makes plenty of sense and got really good. Then with the 5 & 4 irons, they looked steep and I had a hard time adapting to these irons. As a consequence, long game suffered and when I went to my current P790s, my usual foursome players all said "I'm back" and they said I was always short with my long irons with the Cobras.

Overall, I am much happier with my VL P790s, but I may still toy with the Forged Ones that do not have the different lie angle. If I did get the Forged Ones, I will increase the length of the 4 & 5 a tad to get back my "normal" carry.

All up, this is a brilliant idea from Cobra and if I did not already did the experiment, I would be all over it but I have to say, OL is NOT for every one especially if you are a low single digit player. Cobra market is the mid capper where the golfer needs help with consistency in ball striking and those cappers would prefer to use hybrids. The single digits already strike it well but in order to maintain the low iron carry distances the same as the VL irons - as I found out, you have to swing harder/faster on the equivalent OL irons. OL relies on roll for overall distances so you have to re-calibrate your carry distance with the shorter lengths.

Give it a try, it may work or it may not, you have 50% chance and at least it will quench the thirst of one length intrigue :)

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Cobra Forged Tec X 5 - PW KBS TGI 85 stiff shafts
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48* & Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

My brother has wanted t try these, so I shot him a text. It'll be a tight window up here in Alaska since winter is fast approaching

Doesn't winter get there on December 21st like the rest of the northern hemisphere? :tomato:

technically on the calendar, yes......however the snow possibly coming down in the next few weeks has other ideas. We are usually good for the first snow falling anywhere from late September to late October. As of now, we're kind of stuck in the 50's, so I would guess it would be the latter

Just an update. Cobra contacted me and said that they could not get the clubs with my desired graphite setup to the desired swingweight, but worked with me to find a lightweight, but stiff option that would work.

We ended up with Nippon Modus 3 105 Stiffs. On paper they seem like they should work.

Has anyone received a shipping notice? My order progressed to "sent to warehouse" but I don't want to read into what that means.

When I ordered my F8 One length irons a couple weeks ago it was stuck in that status for a few days, the day that it changed to shipped and got my tracking info the package ended up being delivered on that day haha

I'm torn between trying the FTEC with Smacwrap graphite or the Forged 1 with steel.

Qwik, curious why you went stronger on an already strong set? I was thinking of going weaker as with my last TEC set the spin was really low and I would get flyers out of the rough that would sail the green.

I am a sweeper and deliver a lot of dynamic loft at impact (this is confirmed with GC2-HMT). My AoA is 1* down to 0. My concern with the 780s is the high launch since my launch is already high (if less than 20* on a 7i is ideal -- I am typically 20 to 22). So -- I took a degree off the lofts to try and counter my higher launch.

The 1* strong also (for the most part) matches my existing lofts with my current setup -- which have lower launching Steelfiber shafts. The funny thing is -- they emailed me and said they could not get the 780s to the right swingweight, so mine are getting built with Nippon Modus 3 105s (which still are a high launch shaft).

If it matters -- I understand that the Forged One is part of the 1st gen OL lineup, and that improvements were made in the F-Tec and F8 sets (the 2nd Gen). I would go F-Tec.

Placed my order. I ended up going with the Forged ONE head as I have loved that head since the AMP Forged days, and my kid plays that iron. I am hoping the OL helps me be more consistent with a slightly smaller profile than my i200, and get me a much softer/quieter iron.

They ended up allowing me to get the newer Recoil 780 Smacwrap shafts as I really wanted to get the newer heavier shafts. Plus if these work I plan to match it up with 1 or 2 King Utilities in the 3/4 and they come standard with the Recoil Smacwrap shaft. They also did the custom lie over the phone.

One more thing for those that have ordered. Dicks just emailed a 25% off 1 item link, and they have Cobra hybrids and Utilities if you want to add to the set. I ordered a 4 OL Utility just in case these work out. If not I will return it to Dicks. Saves $55 if it does.

They make the long irons more upright because most golfers slice. More upright=better chance of hitting straight

They found that the short irons were more visually appealing slightly flatter.

TM SIM Max 9* Tensei Orange 60
Titleist TS2 16.5 Motore X 75
Ping g400 20.5 DVS 85
Titleist 818H1 23* Diamana 90

Ping i500 5-7, iBlade 8-Pw 
Ping Glide 53, 58, Callaway 64*
Kevin Burns “Icemakr” custom
Stage IV MELANOMA SURVIVOR
“kids wear your sunscreen !!"

OG wrxer (check my member #)

Well damn, didn't get around to placing my order yesterday and now they said they are out of stock. Really great promotion, hope to get an opportunity to try them.

Cobra LTDx Aldila NV 75 

TaylorMade Stealth Fairway 3HL FUJIKURA VISTA PRO 21 65S

Cobra LTDx 4 Hybrid 20* KBS PGI 85

Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 5-GW Project X LZ 6.0

Titleist SM9 55*/60*
Bobby Grace F-18

Has anyone received a shipping notice? My order progressed to "sent to warehouse" but I don't want to read into what that means.

When I ordered my F8 One length irons a couple weeks ago it was stuck in that status for a few days, the day that it changed to shipped and got my tracking info the package ended up being delivered on that day haha

Sent an email to Molly at Cobra CS. She responded within an hour or so and said "sent to warehouse" means that the order is in the custom shop (ordered the irons 2 up) and that they should be shipped today or tomorrow. As mentioned in an earlier post, their responsiveness has been wonderful.

Hi DavePelz4:

Good news - your order is shipping out today for delivery tomorrow :) You should receive an email with a tracking number later tonight.

We will follow up with you in 2 weeks.

Best Regards,

Molly

P.S. No offense but you have a funny name.

Geez...even people who don't know me make fun of me.

Wow, that was fast. Placed my order two days ago and it was pretty custom with shafts that aren't even listed as available for this head. They got them built and shipped the next day and will be here Friday. Just in time for this cool weather and a weekend full of golf. Well done Cobra, as usual. Been a fan of their CS for years.

Got a shipping notice today -- my irons arrive tomorrow via FedEx. I opted for the free shipping - so surprised at the speedy delivery.

Got a shipping notice today -- my irons arrive tomorrow via FedEx. I opted for the free shipping - so surprised at the speedy delivery.

If you went with the Cobra Connect grips you'll be pleasantly surprised when they send enough Arccos sensors for you to complete your set. Have to say how that Cobra has been really impressive with their service throughout. Now we need to see if they can bring consistency to an ugly swing.

And as a true WRX'er...starting to look at the SL hybrids. Oh my...not usually such a ho.

If you went with the Cobra Connect grips you'll be pleasantly surprised when they send enough Arccos sensors for you to complete your set. Have to how that Cobra has been really impressive with their service throughout. Now we need to see if they can bring consistency to an ugly swing.

And as a true WRX'er...starting to look at the SL hybrids. Oh my...not usually such a ho.

SL Hybrids end at 5. No 8s, sorry.

If you went with the Cobra Connect grips you'll be pleasantly surprised when they send enough Arccos sensors for you to complete your set. Have to how that Cobra has been really impressive with their service throughout. Now we need to see if they can bring consistency to an ugly swing.

SL Hybrids end at 5. No 8s, sorry.

Clearly you haven't seen the 2019 product line.

Yeah, they tell you that on their website. It's a pretty cool deal if you want ARCCOS. I think you have to pay an annual subscription after the 1st year to keep it though, and I wasn't a fan of how the grips felt in hand. Many have liked it though. I went without and got corded crossline. If the results match my excitement, i'm going to be a bit lighter in the pocket and have to deal with BST all over again.

Anyone received clubs yet? Hoping they're offering a significant discount when you get ready to return.

The set I ordered came on Wednesday. Last night the non-SL clubs got the sensors installed/paired and tomorrow is the first round. Already looking at the SL hybrid.

You could have grabbed one from Dicks online for 25% off the other day. I ordered the OL Utility. Just in case.

Anyone received clubs yet? Hoping they're offering a significant discount when you get ready to return.

Most folks ordered the FTEC black, which are really new. I would be surprised if they did offer much. But think they may do something. I got the Forged ONE, which are really old and about to be replaced. Also, I don't think they sold out of the FTEC, they just had a number limit in mind on the promotion and they hit that pretty quickly. More than likely they said, we can afford to discount X sets and gain some OL traction and they hit that quota rather quickly.