Obee's Putting Improvement Thread

Obee

another 35 putt day....

Tracking my putting for a bit, I have noticed my total feet of putts made does not differ much from my good putting rounds to my bad putting rounds. In my good putting rounds I make most of my 2-3 footers. In my bad putting rounds I miss quite a few of those. Then I have to make the comeback putt. So if you have a four foot birdie putt, you miss two feet low, you miss that one and you make your third putt, a 2 footer, you have made two feet of putts that hole. If I had two putted, I would have also made two feet of putts.

When I am putting good and lagging within a foot, my total feet made will be low. When I am lagging 2-4 foot by, I will have lots of three putts, and many made comeback putts, my total feet of putts made is actually higher than a good putting round. My longer putts made or missed don't differ much between good or bad putting rounds since that is not my problem area.

The Lucas Glover miss shown in link below is a good sample of what I look like several times per nine when I am yipping.

So much good content in this thread! I thought I'd share my practice setup. I picked up a PuttOut Pressure Putt Trainer along with their putting matt and I've really gotten a lot of use out of it. It definitely helped my putting this year and I can't wait to really put in some time this offseason to tighten up some setup issues I was having. The parallel and perpendicular lines are great to help with alignment and the distance indicators are helpful as well. In addition, I will also use my Eyeline alignment mirror occasionally to check my setup too.

Obviously there's no substitute for putting on real greens, but when the ground is covered with snow 4-5 months of the year this is a great alternative.

LiC3pO9.jpg

SGrBikc.jpg

[media=]

[/media]

Damn, too much coffee and laptop time this morning and now I've ordered one! This really looks like a good way to practice and fairly compact. I'm still trying to get over the design of the actual device and it looks like some sort of specialty ladies product or maybe just that sculpture that Marie Barone created, lol, whatever, maybe it will provide some incentive. ;-)

Seriously, thanks for putting up the video, gives a good idea of how it works and yes, the winters are long in this part of the country.

I think you'll really enjoy it! I've found I need to use it a bunch this winter and get my fundamentals back down.

My last round I couldn't even setup short putts online.

----> See my current WITB
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Fujikura VENTUS Red 6 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 15° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

another 35 putt day....

Tracking my putting for a bit, I have noticed my total feet of putts made does not differ much from my good putting rounds to my bad putting rounds. In my good putting rounds I make most of my 2-3 footers. In my bad putting rounds I miss quite a few of those. Then I have to make the comeback putt. So if you have a four foot birdie putt, you miss two feet low, you miss that one and you make your third putt, a 2 footer, you have made two feet of putts that hole. If I had two putted, I would have also made two feet of putts.

When I am putting good and lagging within a foot, my total feet made will be low. When I am lagging 2-4 foot by, I will have lots of three putts, and many made comeback putts, my total feet of putts made is actually higher than a good putting round. My longer putts made or missed don't differ much between good or bad putting rounds since that is not my problem area.

The Lucas Glover miss shown in link below is a good sample of what I look like several times per nine when I am yipping.

Going past 2 ft on a 4 ft putt seems a lot. Have you tried 'pop' putting from 4/5 ft and in?

I'm not sure why you would measure feet of putts made when it is clearly not a measure of how well you are putting. What does it indicate to you?

All comments are made from the point of
view of my learning and not a claim
to expertise.

Although not a total indicator of how well you putt, I prefer using total footage made of 1st putts only as one indicator of how well one is putting. No one stat gives a true picture of how well one is putting. Overall, I am putting much better than my improvement in stats indicate.

My quality of strike and speed control are overall much better. As a result, I am getting better reads (and more confidence in the reads). I am much more comfortable and confident over short putts - 2 ft to 6 ft. Even when I miss a shortish one, it is a "better" miss (if that makes sense) that what I was experiencing before.

So 30 is your second lowest putt total of the year?

Do you think it's your short game or your putting that's mostly holding you back.

My short game and 2 - 10 foot putting are both significant strengths and I have multiple 24 - 26 putt rounds every year.

I don't understand how a good player can fail to have plenty of rounds like that when their ball striking it's a little bit off and they are missing greens by only a little bit.

How does that happen with you?

30 putts again Woo Hoo! I missed a lot of greens today and chipped well, so I saved a 75. Normally with that many missed greens I would be above 80. Only one three putt and no missed putts under 3 feet. Made a total of 56 feet in putts including an 11 foot putt for par. Birdies were from 6 inches and 18 inches.

• Like 1

So 30 is your second lowest putt total of the year?

Do you think it's your short game or your putting that's mostly holding you back.

My short game and 2 - 10 foot putting are both significant strengths and I have multiple 24 - 26 putt rounds every year.

I don't understand how a good player can fail to have plenty of rounds like that when their ball striking it's a little bit off and they are missing greens by only a little bit.

How does that happen with you?

30 putts again Woo Hoo! I missed a lot of greens today and chipped well, so I saved a 75. Normally with that many missed greens I would be above 80. Only one three putt and no missed putts under 3 feet. Made a total of 56 feet in putts including an 11 foot putt for par. Birdies were from 6 inches and 18 inches.

LOVE to see this!!!!

That's what this thread is ALLLLLL about, my friend: People improving their putting by being mindful of it and NOT getting on a negative downward slide! :-)

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

The good news is that I have made measurable progress over the past 2-3 weeks by saying no mas to bad putting. Found a grip where my wrists don't break down and have been putting in a lot of practice.

Have played 2 rounds and holed out much better from inside 6 feet. Using the putting tests from "Every shot counts", I have improved from scoring between an 80 and 90 shooter to between an 80 shooter and "worst tour pro".

The bad news is that yesterday I suffered the MOABS (mother of all back spasms) and I think it's from all the bending over while putting.

The good news is that I have made measurable progress over the past 2-3 weeks by saying no mas to bad putting. Found a grip where my wrists don't break down and have been putting in a lot of practice.

Have played 2 rounds and holed out much better from inside 6 feet. Using the putting tests from "Every shot counts", I have improved from scoring between an 80 and 90 shooter to between an 80 shooter and "worst tour pro".

The bad news is that yesterday I suffered the MOABS (mother of all back spasms) and I think it's from all the bending over while putting.

Sorry to hear that. However, back spasms absolutely can get better. Probably just from The stress of the new.

40 putt 80 over the weekend followed by a 34 putt 74 today. I thought I was in for another 40 putt day after 3 putting 3 of my first 4. (Two were birdie putts under 10 feet, the other an 18 foot eagle putt). I made a couple of 2 foot pars putts to save 2 putts on the next couple of holes, and my confidence soared. If I can keep it at 34 putts a round or better, my scores are definitely going down.

I just picked up the PuttOut tool as I'm yipping hardcore over short putts these days. My lagging isn't great, but it also doesn't seem to be an issue. I'm missing 3-4 EASY short putts per round, whereas I maybe only leave 1 lagg putt woefully short or long per round.

I know putting goes down as HC goes down, but I feel like that putting is really holding me back. Play to about a 14 right now but I putt like a 20. I think having bad or even just OK putting puts so much pressure on your game. Knowing that unless you get your shot inside of 2 or 3 feet makes chipping seem impossible. Having the confidence to know you can get up and down from 4 or 5 feet almost every time has to be huge for one's game.

And to the guy above who 40 putt an 80... holy crap, you must strike the ball incredibly well.

40 putt 80 over the weekend followed by a 34 putt 74 today. I thought I was in for another 40 putt day after 3 putting 3 of my first 4. (Two were birdie putts under 10 feet, the other an 18 foot eagle putt). I made a couple of 2 foot pars putts to save 2 putts on the next couple of holes, and my confidence soared. If I can keep it at 34 putts a round or better, my scores are definitely going down.

The only way you can three putt from those distances is poor sure control. On any putt really speed trumps line. Without controlling your speed you cannot choose a proper line.

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

You could be cursed with my current problem... Mind reads putts at a speed of 1 foot past the hole, body is only producing putts that die at the hole or run 4ft past.

I make nothing over 6ft.

Sometimes I like to say I can 2 putt from anywhere, buuuttt I'm likely to two putt from everywhere.

Golfing Ginger
So glad I picked an outside activity...

The only way you can three putt from those distances is poor sure control. On any putt really speed trumps line. Without controlling your speed you cannot choose a proper line.

Yips. On the 2-3 footers I sometimes barely hit the club face. I might miss 6 inches right or left on a 3 foot putt. In fact when I yip a short one, it seldom hits the hole. I cannot replicate my yips on a practice green. Putts from 10 feet and out are not affected. Yes I am working on this, and I do have stretches where I can have less than 34 putts. My goal is to average under 34. If so, I think I could cut my index in half.

Yips. On the 2-3 footers I sometimes barely hit the club face. I might miss 6 inches right or left on a 3 foot putt. In fact when I yip a short one, it seldom hits the hole. I cannot replicate my yips on a practice green. Putts from 10 feet and out are not affected. Yes I am working on this, and I do have stretches where I can have less than 34 putts. My goal is to average under 34. If so, I think I could cut my index in half.

Have you tried...

Close both eyes

Close just your left eye (for RH players)

Look at the hole

Look at a spot a couple inches in front of ball and roll over that

Two to four feet can be treated as a tap in. If you make those when just reaching over and tapping them in do that on short putts. I have.

Point being, experiment. You're too good of a player to have 40 putts.

When you have exhausted all options... Contact Jim Waldron on here. He seems to do great things with mental challenges.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Have you tried the claw?

Have you tried the claw?

Yes. My yips seem like arms / shoulders stop mid stroke. When that happens, I will either barely hit the ball with the heel leading and miss right and short or flip my hands to save it and go long left. Inside a foot I am still on line enough to make it almost always when this happens unless left short. In the 18 inch to 3.5 foot range, if this happens, it will not come close to hitting the hole. This is not a conscious thing, and I cannot replicate it when practice putting. I cannot convince my brain I am practicing when I am on the course. This is not every putt, but probably 3 to 6 per round when it is bad. This also puts pressure on my lag putting, sand play and chipping which are all pretty good.

If you watched it when happening, you reaction would be disgust, followed by pity. My normal playing parters do not even make fun of it, since it is so sad. I am the reason all putts get putted out in our games. My index reflects my putting, so the games are fair. Current index is 4.5, trending 4.2, But that is because I now have a couple of rounds under 30 putts and a couple at 30 putts in my last 20.

Great thread here, folks. Thanks for everyone's input.

Regarding the idea of putting the ball "end over end" (keeping the line on the ball from wobbling), are there some rules-of-thumb as to why people have trouble with this? Being a mediocre putter, I'm guessing I can't do this well. But short of having an instructor watch me, I'm not sure how easy it would/will be to diagnose the problem.

For instance, do most people shut the club face? Or cut across the ball? Or...? (Lets assume a perfectly straight, flat putt here, where reading the break isn't an issue.) Just looking for any commonalities (if there are any) to be aware of.

• Like 1

Regarding the idea of putting the ball "end over end" (keeping the line on the ball from wobbling), are there some rules-of-thumb as to why people have trouble with this? Being a mediocre putter, I'm guessing I can't do this well. But short of having an instructor watch me, I'm not sure how easy it would/will be to diagnose the problem.

For instance, do most people shut the club face? Or cut across the ball? Or...? (Lets assume a perfectly straight, flat putt here, where reading the break isn't an issue.) Just looking for any commonalities (if there are any) to be aware of.

When you play in a scramble, can’t you notice your partners tendencies after 18 holes of standing behind them? Just get a buddy to watch you on the course for a few holes and maybe take a video or two on the practice green so you can see it yourself.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

Yes. My yips seem like arms / shoulders stop mid stroke. When that happens, I will either barely hit the ball with the heel leading and miss right and short or flip my hands to save it and go long left. Inside a foot I am still on line enough to make it almost always when this happens unless left short. In the 18 inch to 3.5 foot range, if this happens, it will not come close to hitting the hole. This is not a conscious thing, and I cannot replicate it when practice putting. I cannot convince my brain I am practicing when I am on the course. This is not every putt, but probably 3 to 6 per round when it is bad. This also puts pressure on my lag putting, sand play and chipping which are all pretty good.

If you watched it when happening, you reaction would be disgust, followed by pity. My normal playing parters do not even make fun of it, since it is so sad. I am the reason all putts get putted out in our games. My index reflects my putting, so the games are fair. Current index is 4.5, trending 4.2, But that is because I now have a couple of rounds under 30 putts and a couple at 30 putts in my last 20.

So you are describing myself 3 years ago. I had the yipps for 5+ years. I won a tournament (flighted) by shooting 80 with 41 putts. On short puts my right arm felt like it was convulsing, I would try to use my "big" muscles to hit a 3' putt. My mind would tell me it's way too hard of a swing, so I'd decelerate and at the last minute my brain says "oh crap it's gonna be short" then I fire my right hand at it. I had numerous 3' straight putts where I missed the hole by more than a foot on the left side (or left them short). I use to joke that I had a form of Parkinson that only appears when I'm close than 6' to the hole. One guy in my group responded back with "well do you putt better in the morning."

Here are all the putting styles I tried over that 5-10 year span none of which worked for me.

overlap grip, 10 finger grip, double overlap, left hand low, claw, saw, pencil, belly putter (kind of worked but now illegal), 1 handed putting, eyes closed, looking at hole. Throw in 1-2 different putters and styles per year on top of that. Many things seemed to work for varying periods of time some seemed to work for 8-9 holes, and some worked for 2-3 months. But the spasms would always come back.

Here is the only thing I've done that has seemed to help me get over it (although I feel like a person in rehab, and I'll never truly be over the yipps). It's actually 2 things the first didn't really help my yipps.

1) I noticed when putting looking at the hole my distance control was remarkably better. So now any time I'm more than 6' from the hole I putt looking at the hole. It makes my next putt a lot shorter (over 1000's of lag putts I recorded I was about 40% closer by looking at the hole).

2) This is the big one for the yipps. I switched to a very heavy putter (660+ grams). This basically forces me to use my big muscles and take my arms out of the stroke. I have been using a CURE putter for the last 3 years with the weight damn near maxed out on it. I also noticed it has the added benefit of a higher MOI, so my issue with not hitting the center of the club face while looking at the hole has made my lag putting even better. It took me 2-3 months to get use to the weight, but *knock on wood* I have not felt that "yippy" spasm type feeling in a single putt since getting that putter. I use to have that feeling 4-5 times a round. It's kind of ironic that it's named CURE because so far it has cured my yipps.

I don't know if it will work for you but I was able to find a used one on second swing for $80. I'm not magically the best putter in the world now. But because that $80 got rid of that terrible spastic convulsion feeling that is the 1 club in my bag that has a permanent spot (assuming that feeling never returns). I don't really give a damn what any putter fitting will ever tell me, that putter can only be pulled from my bag if that yippy feeling returns, other than that you can pull it from my cold dead hands.

*Even typing this conversation about the yipps I feel my right hand trembling as if just typing the response makes me want to start crying. This is really a terrible golf disease that for those that haven't ever dealt with it will never truly understand.

• Like 2

It could probably be any of several problems. My miss tends to be path related. I mostly pull putts which shows in the wobble and miss direction. I think my alignment of putter face to ball line is pretty good at address and impact (no twisting). The nice thing is once you ingrain and can repeat a stroke that generates a pure rolling line, the exact mechanics become less important.

After reading this thread, I have started putting claw. It is a big improvement for the most part, although I am still struggling to match pace and line. Currently playing in a big four-day tournament and have only three putted 7 times in the first three days. One thing I have noticed with putting claw is that it is very easy to get the stroke path way too inside out. To remedy this today, I have been bunching up my shirt under the left armpit to promote a better connection of my lead arm.

Rogue ST Max LS (8.0), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX 

Cobra Aerojet (14.5), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX

TSi2 (18, A1), Tensei AV Raw White 85TX

U85 (22), X100

i210 (5-UW), X100

Glide 3.0 (54.12SS, 60.06TS)

35” Daddy Long Legs

Srixon Z-Star XV

I have found that my putting has slipped at the end of this season, and while I'm sure I could have better technique, I think the main cause is laziness. Making all the 2-4 footers requires discipline. With the competitive season behind me, I find it hard to stick with the routine that has worked all year, especially on the bunnies.

• Like 1

I have found that my putting has slipped at the end of this season, and while I'm sure I could have better technique, I think the main cause is laziness. Making all the 2-4 footers requires discipline. With the competitive season behind me, I find it hard to stick with the routine that has worked all year, especially on the bunnies.

This is excellent insight and self-awareness. Making all of your 2 to 4 footers requires discipline, a consistent process, and caring, "just the right amount." LOL

After reading this thread, I have started putting claw. It is a big improvement for the most part, although I am still struggling to match pace and line. Currently playing in a big four-day tournament and have only three putted 7 times in the first three days. One thing I have noticed with putting claw is that it is very easy to get the stroke path way too inside out. To remedy this today, I have been bunching up my shirt under the left armpit to promote a better connection of my lead arm.

Give yourself permission to have a little "play" in your left wrist. Let the left wrist hinge forward a bit as you hit the putt.

Don't let it hinge on the way back, but feel free to let it release as you hit the putt.

See if that helps with feel at all. I vary how much I allow my left wrist to hinge based on the speed of the greens.

When you play in a scramble, can't you notice your partners tendencies after 18 holes of standing behind them? Just get a buddy to watch you on the course for a few holes and maybe take a video or two on the practice green so you can see it yourself.

I'll have one of them take some video. I don't want to leave the diagnosis up to some of these guys. LOL

It could probably be any of several problems. My miss tends to be path related. I mostly pull putts which shows in the wobble and miss direction. I think my alignment of putter face to ball line is pretty good at address and impact (no twisting). The nice thing is once you ingrain and can repeat a stroke that generates a pure rolling line, the exact mechanics become less important.

Makes sense. I'll just have to get out there with a complete line on the ball and see what's going on.