2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Practicing in the Winter

kobe123

All,

Fall/Winter is approaching here in Nashville, TN which means less time on the course. I'm trying to get in tip top form for some bigger AM tournaments next year. What are some ways to continue to hit balls/get better in the winter? I contacted Golf Smith to hit on their GC2 but they wanted $20 for 30 minutes which I thought was high. I have debated buying a skytrak.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Kobe123

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I started playing in a winter indoor league on simulators 4 years ago (this winter will be my 4th) and I think it has been the key to my accelerated improvement. First it helped me by keeping the swing going over the winter months, but it also taught me a lot about my game. Learned my true carry distances and collected a lot of data on my swing. I dropped my handicap significantly since I started and once you get used to the sims I think its wicked fun.

I got AstroTurf, nets and a small radar (very poor man's GC2) to hit into. The radar estimates swing speed and distance and I get to hot every night for an hour so. Since I started I've found that my consistency in ball striking has improved so much.

Means I can do a 30 minute warm up prior to my rounds on a Friday and Saturday and I've found myself getting off to fast starts.

Obviously nets aren't ideal but for working on my swing it's been so good. If I have a dodgy round I can spend sometime in the evening figuring out what was off and then move on. Reps are the key for me.

I purchased a Sky Trak and I have seen my scrambling improve a lot this year because that was the majority of my practice time was dedicated to. I also have seen better driving and ball striking this year. I practice 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100 yard shots until I am sick of it. It really showed on the course this year!

I used to practice once a week, every weekend every Winter. It worked fine because ever since I started doing that, I was ready to play right away when the courses open and I did not waste the games I played. But having a ST at home, was really a huge change for me. Best golf purchase imo for my game.

I mean, I'll never be a PGA pro but I have never shot in the 70's this much, in my life. Safe to say, the first season of having a ST is the best season ever.

I'm in upstate N.Y. and snow is coming. I use my basement to practice during the winter months. I have a practice green and to practice full swings I use a Swing Power Fan.

I also schedule a few golf trips between skiing and snowshoeing.

TM SIM2 Max Driver

TM SIM2 Max 3 & 5

PXG 0311 XF Gen 1 4-W 

Titleist SM8 Black Wedges 48-54-58

Srixon Q-Star Tour 
2009 Custom Scotty Cameron Welded Neck 009 35/330g (with a slap of lead tape for sauciness)
“Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”

Just buy a net and a piece of turf and crank up the Pandora.

I don't disagree with this, but I also don't want to practice bad habits. Would like to see some ball flight.

I’m in the Nashville area as well. I hit foam balls in my garage but it hurts more than it helps for me personally. My tendency is to be shoulder dominated so without seeing the ballflight I start opening my shoulders too soon. Even with video it can be hard tell how far I’m getting off.

Definitely need to either hit inside with a LM or just hit when it’s a warm enough to.

I'm in upstate N.Y. and snow is coming. I use my basement to practice during the winter months. I have a practice green and to practice full swings I use a Swing Power Fan.

Which practice green do you use? Do you use any practice aids and do they help if you do.

Thank You for any info you share

[email protected]

Which practice green do you use? Do you use any practice aids and do they help if you do.

Thank You for any info you share

[email protected]

I bought a 15 footer Big Moss last year. I use it for putting and chipping. I have a putting arc that I use on the green.

For full swings I use the Swing Power Fan and I also use a Ledbetter Swingsetter. I have an Impact Snap that I'm planning on using this winter, it is nice for indoor training.

TM SIM2 Max Driver

TM SIM2 Max 3 & 5

PXG 0311 XF Gen 1 4-W 

Titleist SM8 Black Wedges 48-54-58

Srixon Q-Star Tour 
2009 Custom Scotty Cameron Welded Neck 009 35/330g (with a slap of lead tape for sauciness)
“Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”

How far away is Topgolf from you? Their rates are pretty reasonable and even though the balls are often limited distance they still behave about the same as regular balls. I am of course assuming they stay open all year. I would imagine that the bays would be heated if they don’t close for the winter.

[size=3]Titleist 913 D3 9.5 Diamana S+ 62 stiff[/size]
Titleist 915 F 3 wood, Diamana S+60 stiff
[size=3]Mizuno F-60 5 wood[/size]
[size=3]Mizuno MP-33 w/S300 stiff +1/2 by me[/size]
[size=3]Mizuno T7, 52 and 58 degrees[/size]
[size=3]Taylormade Juno TP  putter[/size]
[size=3]Titleist Pro V1 and V1x depending on what I find.[/size]

I don't disagree with this, but I also don't want to practice bad habits. Would like to see some ball flight.

Very smart. It's amazing how even a small amount of incorrect technique can ruin your game in a very short time.

Which is why I would use my time putting and chipping. Then stretching and stsying in shape if I were in a snow state. I wouldn't evenbother with full shots.

Very smart. It's amazing how even a small amount of incorrect technique can ruin your game in a very short time.

Which is why I would use my time putting and chipping. Then stretching and stsying in shape if I were in a snow state. I wouldn't evenbother with full shots.

I'm in the Nashville area as well. I hit foam balls in my garage but it hurts more than it helps for me personally. My tendency is to be shoulder dominated so without seeing the ballflight I start opening my shoulders too soon. Even with video it can be hard tell how far I'm getting off.

Definitely need to either hit inside with a LM or just hit when it's a warm enough to.

What's your home course?

How far away is Topgolf from you? Their rates are pretty reasonable and even though the balls are often limited distance they still behave about the same as regular balls. I am of course assuming they stay open all year. I would imagine that the bays would be heated if they don’t close for the winter.

It's about 10 minutes, but it's $40/hr for peak time and at that price I would rather just rent a bay at golfsmith on the gc2.

I'm in the Nashville area as well. I hit foam balls in my garage but it hurts more than it helps for me personally. My tendency is to be shoulder dominated so without seeing the ballflight I start opening my shoulders too soon. Even with video it can be hard tell how far I'm getting off.

Definitely need to either hit inside with a LM or just hit when it's a warm enough to.

What's your home course?

It's about 10 minutes, but it's $40/hr for peak time and at that price I would rather just rent a bay at golfsmith on the gc2.

Didn't golfsmith go out of business? Are there any indoor golf facilities around?

Just find a range that it open all year, possibly with heated bays and keep hitting. There are a few ranges in my area that are open year round and I continue to practice throughout the winter. And still play unless the ground is snow covered as there are a couple of courses that remain open as well. At the very least you get to swing and keep in form, but don't expect to hit perfect shots or even ones that travel the same distance as the cold, and frozen ground, will affect your outcomes. Still fun though.

Just find a range that it open all year, possibly with heated bays and keep hitting. There are a few ranges in my area that are open year round and I continue to practice throughout the winter. And still play unless the ground is snow covered as there are a couple of courses that remain open as well. At the very least you get to swing and keep in form, but don't expect to hit perfect shots or even ones that travel the same distance as the cold, and frozen ground, will affect your outcomes. Still fun though.

You'd think there'd be a driving range with heated bays here in Nashville, but the only place is Topgolf, well the only one that I know of.

If a skytrak is possible. Count up the cost of one winters range balls, travel and time. Then buy a skytrak.

Enjoy hitting 10x the balls with no travel and less time. As well as all the other benefits.

Coupled with good lessons it will change your golfing life and probably make your real life more enjoyable too!

2014 Low 2.9
2015 Low 2.6
2016 Low 2.1
2017 Target 1.4
2018 Target 0.4
2019 Target +15
Current 0.2

You'd think there'd be a driving range with heated bays here in Nashville, but the only place is Topgolf, well the only one that I know of.

When I lived there it never really got so cold for so long that I couldn't play/practice in Jan and Feb. There was a 1 week period where the highest temp was 8 degrees or something like that, but then the week after it got up to the mid 40's and low 50's again.

If you have the right type of clothing being outside in 35-45 degree temps for 4 hours isn't bad assuming sun, no wind, and you keep moving (walk the course). Oh, and this statement is coming from someone who grew up in Florida.

Skytrak is a great entry point to home golf simulation, it got me hooked on it and have since moved on to the GC2+HMT. You can get a CPO Skytrak directly from Skygolf right now under $1,500. It's a great deal considering just the range software for other launch monitors can run $1000+

How important is the case for the skytrak? Trying to decide if it's worth $150.

Skytrak is a great entry point to home golf simulation, it got me hooked on it and have since moved on to the GC2+HMT. You can get a CPO Skytrak directly from Skygolf right now under $1,500. It's a great deal considering just the range software for other launch monitors can run $1000+

It's worth the $150. I've never shanked a ball into it, but I've had a lot of balls rebound off the net into device. So I think it's worth it just for piece of mind.

That being said my 5 year old has shanked balls into the device, but I assume if you are contemplating not getting the case you don't have a 5 year old that will be hitting balls.

I have never shanked my unit myself but it is worth it. I have three friends how smacked the unit and thank God for the steel armor.