2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

End of the Season - Cold & Snow

A.Princey

Man, the end of the golf season is fast approaching here in the upper midwest, and with all the unseasonably cool/rainy weather lately, fall golf up to this point has been a bear. I'm trying to squeeze every little bit out of it that I possibly can, but November is fast approaching and this weather pattern seems as though its here to stay. Not only that, but later this month I'll be consumed by whitetail bow hunting for several weeks during this prime archery period, and that leaves little room for rounds between now and then. I've played so well this season and only seem to be getting better, but its all coming to a close much faster than I'd like. Maybe we'll get lucky and have some drier/warmer days soon, but it's got me in a funk like no other season end in recent memory. I know some other folks are even less happy than me due to snowfall already, but who else is feeling the winter blues already??

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Snow came 6 weeks early here this year and with a vengeance. Our season got cut very short. We got 40cm on October 1st, the courses were hoping to stay open until the end of the month. This is quite extraordinary weather, we broke a record on that day actually. We broke a few records this year both for heat as well as snow, the weather is getting more extreme and Alberta is already famous for it's weather extremes. We can shift by 50 degrees in 24 hours.

Depressed? Not at all. We are used to it, we grow up in it. Calgary is the sunniest city in Canada, I find that as long as it's sunny out the rest just isn't that depressing. It never gets grey here for more than a minute. I installed a 3 x 20 foot Rymar green, great for putts and chipping, and put in an 8 x 15 as well for break setups. Got a ton of putting gadgets, and also got Rapsodo Rmotion going this week, so if anything I'm glad to have the winter to fine tune some stuff.

Cool bonus of hitting Sterling Wishon Irons is I can swing them inside without hitting the roof. Ha ha.

Snow came 6 weeks early here this year and with a vengeance. Our season got cut very short. We got 40cm on October 1st, the courses were hoping to stay open until the end of the month. This is quite extraordinary weather, we broke a record on that day actually. We broke a few records this year both for heat as well as snow, the weather is getting more extreme and Alberta is already famous for it's weather extremes. We can shift by 50 degrees in 24 hours.

Depressed? Not at all. We are used to it, we grow up in it. Calgary is the sunniest city in Canada, I find that as long as it's sunny out the rest just isn't that depressing. It never gets grey here for more than a minute. I installed a 3 x 20 foot Rymar green, great for putts and chipping, and put in an 8 x 15 as well for break setups. Got a ton of putting gadgets, and also got Rapsodo Rmotion going this week, so if anything I'm glad to have the winter to fine tune some stuff.

Cool bonus of hitting Sterling Wishon Irons is I can swing them inside without hitting the roof. Ha ha.

On the metric system up there I see?

Re: the ladder you left outside

Do they call it a "6-footer" or a "1.83-meter?"

It's going to be 80 degrees in New York this afternoon. My buddy and I are gonna play at least 9 after work tonight. But this weekend looks to be in the 40's-50's. So it's possible this is it for 2018.

Then again, it's New York. If you don't like the weather now, just wait 15 minutes.

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

Tough year. Started late (first of May) and ended early (Oct 1). We usually get 7 months in. Maybe fox hollow will open during a chinook in January lol

Summer weather in Ontario yesterday and today, then back to seasonal temps end of week into weekend, hope to hit the range tonight, then have our work tournament this weekend. Hope were playing at least into November, last year Dec 2nd was our last round. Sucks though when your game is showing improvement steadily then the season ends haha

TM SIM Max 9*  Tensei blue AV 65-S

Mizuno ST180 3w 15* Tensei blue-S

Cobra BioCell 5w 19* Matrix RedTie-S

Ping G30 4h 22* TFC 419-R

Taylormade R-11 5-PW KBS Tour 90-S

Cleveland CBX 52* 58* DG 115-W

Mannkrafted rebar Rattler 

Winter golf pretty much began for us today, on a day when it was 65F.

Our summer was do dry and warm that our fairways took an absolute battering and were burnt out by the beginning of June with next to no growth on them. We then had a really wet end to August and September. As a result we are on kick to the side or hit off mats already. Sucks! We'll keep on playing, we are rarely shut for any length of time over the winter but putting on four layers and waiting for the frost to lift before you go out does not make for a great golfing experience. Roll on March 2019.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

On the metric system up there I see?

Re: the ladder you left outside

Do they call it a "6-footer" or a "1.83-meter?"

We use metric for temperature but imperial for distance. Yards, feet, celcius. lol. The great thing about being Canadian is you can mix and match systems. :D

Tough year. Started late (first of May) and ended early (Oct 1). We usually get 7 months in. Maybe fox hollow will open during a chinook in January lol

Bingo. I had a great year on the course, it was a nice sunny summer without much rain but yep very short. They had said it would be a short winter, will cling to that dream for now. :D

5 centimeters or 2 inches of snow white in central Alberta, they closed my home course for the season.

D.

sCirEAX.jpg

zDvkxRq.jpg

Ping G430 10k - 10.5° Driver Tour Chrome 2.0 65 or Ventus Blue 6-S Velo

Ping G430 Max 15° 3 Wood - Tour Chrome 2.0 65 S or Ad Di8-S
Ping G430 Max 21° 7 Wood - Tour Chrome 2.0 75 S

Ping G430’s, 4-P/W - UST Recoil ES 780 F4-S

Ping G430 - 45° & 50° - UST Recoil 95's F4-S

Ping Glide Pro 56° - UST Recoil 95's F4-S

Odyssey Versa Jailbird 380 Limited Edition Putter

Ping DLX Cart Bag

V1 Sport Push Cart - Garmin Approach G80

What is cold, sincerely Florida...

giphy.gif

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

Temperatures have been excellent here in northern MO........we've just had 2 feet of rain in about 4 days this week however :(

Driver - Taylormade M2 2017 9.75*

3W - Cobra RadSpeed Draw 14.5*

5W - Callaway Epic Flash 18*

7W - Taylormade M4 5HL 21*

5H - Callaway Rogue 24*

Irons - Taylormade P790 6-PW

Wedges - TM Milled Grind 50* & 54* | Hi-Toe 60*

Putter - Nike Method Converge B1-01

Grips - MCC clone| Ball - TP5

As long as there's no snow on the ground, I'm usually willing to play. So far the past 2 years, I have played in every single month in the winter. Was it fun to play in the upper 30s, probably <32F with the wind? Not really... Miiight not be doing that again.

I'll probably draw the line at 45F this year. Depending on weather, that usually means I only need to take off January and February, barring any early snow.

We’ve only had a few days it hasn’t been raining in the last couple weeks, and temps have been in the 40’s for the most part, with a couple 50* days sprinkled in.

Fall is typically a beautiful time to play golf in MN, but it’s been a rough fall. We went from 90* to 50* and raining within a few days. I definitely have the winter blues already. The last few seasons I got to play a lot of golf and was ok with a bit of a forced break, but I didn’t get nearly as much golfing in this year, and I’m very unhappy about the weather situation looking bleak.

I’ll play if the courses are open regardless of temp, but it’s just been windy and raining on top of the cooler weather, and 40 degrees plus rain isn’t much fun.

On a happier note, I started a new job a couple months ago and we have a golf simulator, so the withdrawals will be slightly curbed, but it only helps scratch the itch so much..

Makes me glad I’ll be in Hawaii the next 2 weeks. Golf on Maui and Kauai then I’ll have to go home to reality that will suck.

Driver- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

4H- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699U 21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges - Sub 70 286 50+54 degree

Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach #11

giphy.gif

Damn you, damn you to hell!!!

Edel Brick

giphy.gif

Also in Florida.....

drake%20gif.gif

I think that's a 9-club wind.

Edel Brick

80 yesterday. 60 today. Windy. Great golf weather. Bad news is by next week the fairways will go dormant and it will be mud season until late April when the fairways come out of dormancy.

You guys that have cool season grass have got it pretty good. Maybe in the heat of summer the fairway gets a little rough for you but through the winter, provided it is not covered by snow, you have something green to play golf on.

giphy.gif

Also in Florida.....

drake%20gif.gif

Oddly, means I get to golf more since the courses rarely get badly effected, but I get paid days off of work and you have to find something to fill the time so why not golf.

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

The biggest issue I have this year is how well I've played. Everything is falling into place right now and I know my personal best, where I go crazy low, is out there. Driving, irons and putter are all getting hot, but the temperature has other ideas. When the last day does hit me hard, waiting for winter to pass will be a hard pill to swallow. Nothing short of trophy deer this bow season will be enough to brighten my spirits, lol.

Edel Brick

The biggest issue I have this year is how well I've played. Everything is falling into place right now and I know my personal best, where I go crazy low, is out there. Driving, irons and putter are all getting hot, but the temperature has other ideas. When the last day does hit me hard, waiting for winter to pass will be a hard pill to swallow. Nothing short of trophy deer this bow season will be enough to brighten my spirits, lol.

I feel the same. Something I worked on all season finally came together ... and we just had the kind of heavy, wet snow dumped on us that'll likely close courses.

Like the OP I am dreading the end of gplf season. However I am sitting waiting to pick up a buddy to hit the woods for whitetails. And that has me welcoming the cold weather. So the weather marks the end of a great season but also the beginning of more fun and memories. The beginning of hunting is like the beginning of golf season. filled with anticipation and what ifs, hoping that there are no bad turns ahead.

Lows last night and tonight around 30 degrees and we had snow flurries today. High of 37 today but tomorrow it's supposed to be a high of 54. 10 AM tee time tomorrow. Last year we played golf every month of the year in Illinois. We had to drive a couple hours a few times to do it but I've got a few buds that are willing to play anytime we can find an open course.

But yes, the winter cloudy and dreary weather pattern is here and it is depressing.