Ryder Cup disappointment

jimb6golf

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly my point.

They are a lock until they die just because of who they are.

But we may be able to benefit from other players instead.

Cant they provide leadership (even more so) as a co captain?

I would sure think so.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

Callaway 2007 X-Forged 5-PW/ PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 / Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2.5+ 

Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving

Or 160th in total driving anyway.

I think the biggest issue with Phil and Tiger both was that they were both mentally shot. Phil played 12 out of 15 weeks and Tiger was emotionally shot from his victory at East Lake. Furyk said there was no way Phil and Tiger weren't going to be on the team because of what they meant to the rest of the team for their leadership. He said if he would have left one of them off he could have had big problems internally.

I see Phil as leader in the same way as Odell Beckam Jr. is a leader.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

I think the biggest issue with Phil and Tiger both was that they were both mentally shot. Phil played 12 out of 15 weeks and Tiger was emotionally shot from his victory at East Lake. Furyk said there was no way Phil and Tiger weren't going to be on the team because of what they meant to the rest of the team for their leadership. He said if he would have left one of them off he could have had big problems internally.

I understand, but evidently other players love the guy.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

OBJ or Phil?

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

OBJ or Phil?

I've never paid any attention to OBJ. :)

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

The Ryder Cup task force should beg Zinger to captain again.

Furyk said he's only concerned with the comments from guys on the team and vice captains. They're all stroking each other, and they are all part of the problem. Now he's going to have input on the next captain and help him.....help him make the same dumb decisions?

In what universe did a captain and 5 vice captains decide Phil in foursomes was a good idea, when he wasn't ready for four ball?

Breaking Spieth and Reed because Tiger and JT wouldn't be a good team? effin crazy

I'd say Tiger was a disappointment if it wasn't expected.

Ping G400 Max AD IZ 6s
2016 TI M2 HL AD IZ 7s
M2 4h AD DI 8s
Ping G400 5hy ADDI 9s
718 TMB 6-Gap Modus 130s
Scratch 53 Modus 125
Scratch 57 Modus 125
PXG 03x 60* Modus 125

Scotty Cameron Custom 009 HHH

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/982109-joes-witb-set-for-2014-update-2015/#entry10682349"]WITB Link[/url]

Phil was a wasted pick. Hes 2nd to last on tour in driving accuracy. That just wont fit to a euro rc event.

Its tough because phil and tiger are basically a lock until they die. But i wish a capt had the cahones to pick to the strength of the team

Phil was 3rd in putting which is what wins Ryder Cups. It's easy to say Phil was a wasted pick after the fact but no one was beating Molinari and having Phil play foursome's was just stupid.

As Gary McCord said when he won the putting award (before it was based on greens in regulation) - thanks for the prize for missing the most greens

As for the fact that Europe wins in Europe, we should not be surprised. We should be surprised when the visiting team wins. That is how sports competitions are...

What I would like to see (and I am a Phil fan) is for Mickelson to put up or shut up by being the next US captain when the Ryder cup is played in Europe (2022)

How to play golf.
Hit the ball.
Find the ball
Repeat until the ball is in the hole.
Have fun.
...Chuck Hogan

The team needs better leadership.

Jim Furyk was not the guy to coach this team of individuals, in this event, on foreign soil, in 2018.

And David Duval as a Vice Captain?

It was lost before the first shot was struck.

Great thoughts Fergs and I couldn’t agree more!!

First, I do not believe that a Playing peer of the team members should be the Captain. I look at the Captain of the RC team as more of a CEO, ie., putting the right pieces in the right positions(both with his Captain’s picks and match pairings), dealing with and minimizing or eliminating any and all pre-match issues, whether they be on-course or off-course situations, to give them the best opportunity for success.

As I’ve said previously, knowing both Jim & Tabitha Furyk and there is no Classier guy on Tour today, and my heart broke for him sitting there at the presser and afterward because he was in waaaaaay over his head because just as Jim or any Player goes to his mentall vault for visions and thoughts of prior on-course successful swings, shots and outcomes to execute the three under the extreme pressure of Tournament golf, whether it be a regular PGA Tourney or a Major, one also must have the ability to draw from that mental vault for off-course and everyday events and situations.

Never really having been in this or really ANY leadership position before his RC Captain’s selection, Jim had absolutely NOTHING to draw on mentally, so this left him to do what anyone would do in this situation, lean on his Vice-Captains and Team Members and just listening to Phil in the Presser, and please go back and listen to him again if you do not know what I am speaking to, and his description of both Jim and his RC actions, decisions and thoughts are those of a FRIEND speaking of a FRIEND, not a team member speaking of their Captain, and THIS was the problem.

While input, feedback & individual team members’ sentiments are indeed critical to overall team, organization and/or group success, it cannot be a democracy!!

And no, a dictatorship in today’s world with today’s Players wont get it done either

It’s gotta be a benevolent dictatorship!!

Did ya catch that???

A BENEVOLENT DICTATORSHIP!!!

THAT takes a certain personality type!!

Not the Nicest guy available!!

Not the friendliest guy available!!

And most certainly not the most popular guy available!!

He/she’s gotta be firm, confident, decisive, aggressive when necessary and in control of all situations at ALL times.

Jim Furyk is not that man.

Yes, the members said all of the right things in the post-Cup presser, well, most of em, lmao, however I was watching their body language on Saturday and they didn’t have it!!

Actions ALWAYS speak louder than words and after the US had lost those four straight matches on Saturday, they showed Tiger, Phil and Jordan, and I love Jordan, but they were lost!!!

And all of this Post-Cup strife and garbage has been brewing below the surface for months, at least, and it should have been brought out of the dark and into the open, BEHIND CLOSED DOORS OR IN THE LOCKER ROOM PRIOR TO THE US TEAM EVER LEAVING OUR SHORES!!!

Anyone breaks that rule and they’re off the team!!

And no, I don’t care who it is because the team is bigger than any one individual.

Believe me, I can get humiliated without Phil Mickelson.

Jordan, I can understand as he’s still a “kid,” however Tiger & Phil??

That’s unforgivable if I’m the Captain

You may not Play like a Champion but you’d damn well better carry yourself as one!!

You look at who has always shown up for the Euros, regardless of their level of Play leading up to and during the Cup~

Monty!!

Sergio!!

Ian!!!!!

No matter how they are Playing, win lose or draw, they bring an attitude and swagger that is priceless!!!

Historically, the big Dogs, the top of the line-up, have to bring home approximately 60%+ of the point total for the winning Cup teams and until the US Big Dogs not only show up, but they PLAY, the US will continue along this roller coaster road.

I’ve read a few posts where guys say that this isn’t a “team” event at all and it comes down to just Playing great as an individual and it doesn’t matter cuz if 5-6 guys Play great, ya win.

#1, when that’s the outcome, ya get what the US gets, uneven, inconsistent and more often than not, losing results. The reason for that should be obvious.

Secondly, when I see these comments I know instantly that the OP has never ever Played in a team golf event.

EVER!!

It’s not like a football team

It’s not like a basketball team

It’s not like a soccer team

The pressure is much more intense!!

I realize that to literally compare an Inter-Club RC style team event to the Ryder Cup is crazy however I assure that those of you that have know exactly of what I speak.

Having Played on and Captained such teams, while the size & scope is obviously not even comparable, I can assure you that Playing Jay Sigel, Duke Delcher or Nathan Smith for the deciding points in two of those three matches, with 700-800 fans following you, along with your wife/sig other, family, friends, your team members and team members from other clubs, would leave most of ya speechless and numb, and that’s IF ya were a Plus Player to start with, lolol?

Playing for yourself is one thing. However when you look into the gallery and see your teammates, who are depending on you to Play well and win, it’s a ln intensity & pressure that I didn’t ever feel on a football field, in front of 60,000-75,000+, and it’s virtually impossible to isolate yourself mentally.

You guys that have “been there,” know exactly of what I speak.

Now ratchet that intensity emotion & pressure up about a thousand fold, and instead of 700-800 peeps, you’ve got a small football stadium’s worth of peeps on the course and tens of millions more watching on TV worldwide, well, it’s not even remotely the same as a Tour event or even a Major.

Those tourneys are for YOU

A team event is for everyone BUT you, lol

This is what the US just doesn’t get.

Europe most certainly does!!

And win lose or draw, their actions always match their words!!!

Oh, and I love how they finally moved the gallery ropes back, hahaha.

We had “tight” ropes back in the 90’s when I was Playin in the Inter-Club and though we only had hundreds lining the fairways, the tight ropes mad it great if ya sprayed your ball cuz chances are that it would hit someone in the gallery and fall or stop in the close proximity of them, with the rough being trampled down so Oakmont’s 5-6” rough was about half that and matted, lol. However when we hosted the Finals, especially against Oakmont, who had no shortage of bombers, we moved the ropes back to let the second cut come into play, though we kept it at 4-5”. Also, ya didn’t yell “fore” as that would give peeps time to scatter and then WTF, it lost its benefit, lmao.

Believe me, we got that trick from Oakmont, who got it from their former HP and Ryder Cupper(1947, he went 2-0) Lew Worsham(and 1947 US Open Winner)

So I see that the Euros moved the ropes back to let the rough come into Play, lmao

Great move!!

We see how that worked out for Jim & the boys??

I mean HowITF can a world class Pro out a HYBRID in the water????

Better yet, an IRON?????

Though in all seriousness, instead of the US doin all of this pod bullshat, they should take the Euros’ template, make it their own, and learn from this humiliation.

They won’t do this, but they should??

That’s what a Champion would do?

So these are my scattered discombobulated thoughts on the 2018 Ryder Cup?

You know me and my novellas?

Stay well Gents and have a great day?

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Great Leaders are great decision makers. They make the call good or bad based on their experience and what's in their gut. I think Jimbo got pushed around and let the egos and arrogance of his players affect his decision-making.

Ben Crenshaw (gentle by nature) was a great leader. He gave a clear and cogent expectation to the team, and told his players to execute and win.

I like Jim as a Vice Captain. As a Top Dog he folded.

He's another guy who should NOT be in the HOF.

While I agree completely and have posted such over the weekend on the bomb and gouge tactic making u.s. tour players inferior golfers - the pga tour is absolutely not going to change the style of play required on their tour to facilitate a once every two years event that they have zero to do with.

Bomb and gouge with free relief from anything remotely in the way has made these guys exceptional PGA Tour players. It has made them inferior golfers.

Inferior golfers? They had a bad week. 3 of the last 6 British winners are American. DJ, Rickie, JT, they’ve all had success there. Even won on Euro courses. Every time the US loses a RC it’s the end of the world. Our players suck. We will win at Whistling Straits, and the Euro’s won’t immed go stand on a ledge. Yes that course exposed some of our weaknesses, but we couldn’t even hit fairways with irons. We didn’t make any putts at all. The Euros made putts. DJ, JT, Spieth, Brooks, Rickie, Reed, Tiger...they are not inferior players. They just all seemed to play bad golf the same week.

Still haven't seen anything from Phil over the course of his career that leads me to think he is, or would be, a good leader.

He is a legend in his own mind so of course he would be.

5 majors, 43 wins during the Tiger era makes him one of the best to ever play the game. I think he's entitled to have some ego just like you're entitled to hate on him.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

He is a legend in his own mind so of course he would be.

5 majors, 43 wins during the Tiger era makes him one of the best to ever play the game. I think he's entitled to have some ego just like you're entitled to hate on him.

yep..Hate Phil all you want..But theres only 1 active player with a better resume...and maybe 10-15 all time with a better resume.... hes earned his ego. good captain ? eh... i dont know.. probably not

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock