Combo set or full blades

extrastiff

Thinking about picking up some blades, at least 7 iron through pitching wedge. I got the p770s new on eBay this season after a long injury Layoff. I can play blade golf, but the deal was too good to pass up and I was curious anyways.

Playing well, but i want to start putting blades in the bottom of my bag.

Curious for opinions on if I should Combo these with p730, or other options like full swap, etc

Current setup is p770 4-GW p770, kbs tour flt 130x.

Open to all blade companies, not just TM.

Anyone combo mixed company iron sets?

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+
Utility one length 3,4 iron/mmt105tx
                                                              Forged one length 6-9/x100 wedge onyx

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going back and forth between TM TP MB Smokes and a set of Cally Prototypes full blades on both. I've experimented with a mix, but always end up back with the full blades. Think it's due to the fact the cavity backs I've tried, both TM and Cally, are longer heel to toe and also have a bit more offset than my eye cares for. That said I've played blades since I first started playing, so it's hard to change!

Combo them with a set of blades that excite you to the point where you end up quitting your job so you can practice and play every day for the rest of your life! Or at least up until the intervention.

I like my 718's but lots of praise for the MP18's and the Apex MB's.

Just one guys thoughts but worth a watch.

[media=]

[/media]

Full blades man. It will make you better. I think so at least. Going from Ping G30s to Cobra MBs was tough but I learned a lot. For giggle and craps, I played the g30s as my dad has them in an extra set in New England and I felt like I was cheating with them but I couldn’t get them to stop on the green and feel where I was hitting them on the club face.

Go full blade. Suck for a while. Get better. Understand it’s you and not the club but you can blame the club.

Go fill blades, as long as they fit you correctly you won't have any problems

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Taylormade Stealth Pro
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG3 TW 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x v’s Chrome Tour 

Full blades man. It will make you better. I think so at least. Going from Ping G30s to Cobra MBs was tough but I learned a lot. For giggle and craps, I played the g30s as my dad has them in an extra set in New England and I felt like I was cheating with them but I couldnÂ’t get them to stop on the green and feel where I was hitting them on the club face.

Go full blade. Suck for a while. Get better. Understand itÂ’s you and not the club but you can blame the club.

Lmao. I shouldn't suck for too long, but rest assured, I will always, always,blame the club. I'll look down at it after a shank like it purposefully stopped at the bottom of my swing and I had no say In The matter.

that's majority for full blades so far. Thx for responses. So let's decide..

MP4/mp5/Srixzon z965for 300-500 used?

Older Taylormade, callaway, or titlelist mb's for around$300-600.

Newer Taylormade, callaway, or titlelist blades (mb's, apex, p730, etc) for whatever I can get them for.

Or break the bank, get new(what model ?),hide the from my ladyøŸ™ˆ

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

Combo them with a set of blades that excite you to the point where you end up quitting your job so you can practice and play every day for the rest of your life! Or at least up until the intervention.

I like my 718's but lots of praise for the MP18's and the Apex MB's.

Just one guys thoughts but worth a watch.

[media=]

[/media]

The intervention would have to be at a driving range to trick me into coming.

I vote combo. Furthermore if you're going to combo, you've got to do it properly e.g. Srixon 765/965 or Mizuno MP18 series. You can barely tell the difference at address.

7 iron up will give you the blade fix you desire. 6 iron down will give you that touch of forgiveness and extra launch.

TaylorMade Qi10 10.5* 
Callaway BB Alpha 816 16*
Srixon Z H45 Hybrid 19* 
Srixon ZX Utility 23*
Srixon ZX5 Mk II 5-AW

Callaway Jaws Raw Black 54 & 58
TaylorMade Spider Tour Black
Bridgestone Tour RX

Why not go p750 for the scoring irons ???

Because I can outplay them quite honestly! The 770s are great, don't get me wrong. But 750 seems similar just a bit smaller. I hit 770's fine, and can shape the ball pretty well. But I cannot feel where the ball hits the club face as well as I want. Important to me.

Never considered them though. If you think they feel like blades maybe I'll demo, but more inclined to go traditional muscleback/blade

I vote combo. Furthermore if you're going to combo, you've got to do it properly e.g. Srixon 765/965 or Mizuno MP18 series. You can barely tell the difference at address.

7 iron up will give you the blade fix you desire. 6 iron down will give you that touch of forgiveness and extra launch.

Nice! That's the answer I was hoping for . Well sorta. Was hoping to keep the 770's 4-6 but I think your right ill end up wanting something more uniform

I think the 770 are sweet looking. Not sure how they'll compare with the 730 at address. Only you can answer that by placing them side by side, but in my mind they have to look similar or you'll never fully commit to the set

TaylorMade Qi10 10.5* 
Callaway BB Alpha 816 16*
Srixon Z H45 Hybrid 19* 
Srixon ZX Utility 23*
Srixon ZX5 Mk II 5-AW

Callaway Jaws Raw Black 54 & 58
TaylorMade Spider Tour Black
Bridgestone Tour RX

So, personally I would go combo, but that's just because of what I personally need from my irons. I have used blades, or blade combo's as long as I can remember. I have continued to play some version of a forged blade or small forged CB mostly out of habit and familiarity.

With that said I just switched to an almost all Cobra bag and I ended up going with the Forged Tours... As much as I loved, and still love my MP-18 combo set I can't deny that these put me in better positions to score consistently. I still play competitively and if I were playing purely for joy the blades get the nod. But the slightly bigger, multi weighted head is longer and more forgiving.

What do you mean when you say you can outplay the 750's? Personally the only big concern I have with irons is too much offset. The blades give me more control over my launch, and make it easier to alter the flight. But if I'm being truthful, I don't need most of what the blades offer to score my best.

Right now I'm hitting the ball straighter and longer and that's showing up in consistently lower scores. There has never been a time in the history of golf where it's easier to hit the ball straight, or at least minimize curve.

I have both the 965 and MP4s. The 965 are bigger and definitely more forgiving. While the 965 feel sweet, the MP4's feel like nothing else.....absolutely amazing when hit flush. I play both sets and get the same score most of the time.

Srixon ZX5 Driver 10.5* Evenflow Riptide 50 6.0

Srixon ZX Fairway 15* Evenflow Riptide 60 6.0

Srixon ZX Fairway 21* Evenflow Riptide 70 6.0

Srixon ZX Utility 23* Recoil 95 F4

Srixon ZX Hybrid 25* Evenflow Riptide 80 6.0

Srixon ZX7 6-P Modus 120s

Cleveland Zipcore Full Face 52*,56*,60* Modus 115 Wedge

L.A.B. Golf B.2 LAGP TPZ ONE35

Srixon Z-Star

So, personally I would go combo, but that's just because of what I personally need from my irons. I have used blades, or blade combo's as long as I can remember. I have continued to play some version of a forged blade or small forged CB mostly out of habit and familiarity.

With that said I just switched to an almost all Cobra bag and I ended up going with the Forged Tours... As much as I loved, and still love my MP-18 combo set I can't deny that these put me in better positions to score consistently. I still play competitively and if I were playing purely for joy the blades get the nod. But the slightly bigger, multi weighted head is longer and more forgiving.

What do you mean when you say you can outplay the 750's? Personally the only big concern I have with irons is too much offset. The blades give me more control over my launch, and make it easier to alter the flight. But if I'm being truthful, I don't need most of what the blades offer to score my best.

Right now I'm hitting the ball straighter and longer and that's showing up in consistently lower scores. There has never been a time in the history of golf where it's easier to hit the ball straight, or at least minimize curve.

What I mean to say is I can hit it straight when I want, or curve it when I want. Don't necessarily need to minimize curve, I don't mis hit at a high rate. And I'm strong with a solid swing so distance is no issue at all. I score consistently with any clubs if I play safe.

However as you pointed out, I'm able to spin the ball more, with more consistency/repeatability, with blades. Easy for me to feel, but even more apparent on launch monitors. This means better distance control and shaping for me. That's when I can get up and down/ score under par. I put 5 foot putts in at a pretty high rate, so that's always a goal on my approach.

That being said, I have hit the p770(cavities in general) well enough to think that with 4-6, I can get the shape I want(ish) with less risk. If I slightly miss it a short iron, I'm a few feet further away from the hole. But miss slightly off center with a 4 iron blade, could miss the green. That's not too often for me with blades, and I don't really miss (shots left or right)using 770s. I'm thinking I can get long blades to that point as well. I could before my injury ,and I'm better now than I was.

Really good thoughts everyone. To be a perfectionist and go for maximum workability throughout the irons, or lower risk in the longer ones using a cavityback.

I'm thinking while I can still sling iron, I'll just get blades. I'd probably end up there anyways. Even if I get my 4 iron p770 to 5 feet a lot, I'll wonder if my blade would have gotten me to a gimme putt.

I think the 770 are sweet looking. Not sure how they'll compare with the 730 at address. Only you can answer that by placing them side by side, but in my mind they have to look similar or you'll never fully commit to the set

Truth. If I go 730 I should just go to store and compare with my 4 iron.

Oh and again, I don't know that the p750s wouldn't keep up, I have never hit/compared to my blade spin rates/face impact patterns

I have both the 965 and MP4s. The 965 are bigger and definitely more forgiving. While the 965 feel sweet, the MP4's feel like nothing else.....absolutely amazing when hit flush. I play both sets and get the same score most of the time.

So you would give up 965s before MP4?

As in buy MP4 if I can find?

Anyone one else have eBay type blades they recommend I try to find?

Or recommend buying a certain new set?

full blades combos are not worth it. you will just regret it. i have, twice.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

I play p730 P-6 and then p750 5-4 one degree strong on those. Absolutely love it. I do not do this because I can't hit a blade long iron, its purely for gapping reasons which allows me to alleviate the 3 iron and play a 2 iron without a massive gap while still keeping a 60-56-52 in the bag

Interesting...you simply shorten backswing/arc on the 2 iron to fill that gap?

That's a very cool approach. +1 point for combo. Think I should they 750's with 730? Or try my 770 4-5 with 730?

Full blades will make you strive to be better IMO

Yea I'm thinking I agree.

Any recommendations? Or is this the thread consensus (in this order)

1.p730

2.any newer blade offering

3. Any mizuno blade, starting with mp 4/5

I purchased the MP4's as my first set of blades. Once I figured out that I was not man enough for them at that time, I started searching for something else. I went to 765's seeking a little more forgiveness. They were good but just didn't have the feel of the MP4's. I picked up the 965's with the intent to play a mixed set with the 765 long irons but found that the 965s were basically just as forgiving, so I sold the 765s on bst. I'm playing both the 965s and the MP4s still and don't really want to give up either set. There are lots of great blades out there...….these are just the two sets I happen to use.

Srixon ZX5 Driver 10.5* Evenflow Riptide 50 6.0

Srixon ZX Fairway 15* Evenflow Riptide 60 6.0

Srixon ZX Fairway 21* Evenflow Riptide 70 6.0

Srixon ZX Utility 23* Recoil 95 F4

Srixon ZX Hybrid 25* Evenflow Riptide 80 6.0

Srixon ZX7 6-P Modus 120s

Cleveland Zipcore Full Face 52*,56*,60* Modus 115 Wedge

L.A.B. Golf B.2 LAGP TPZ ONE35

Srixon Z-Star

Full blades will make you strive to be better IMO

Yea I'm thinking I agree.

Any recommendations? Or is this the thread consensus (in this order)

1.p730

2.any newer blade offering

3. Any mizuno blade, starting with mp 4/5

Have you eliminated Bridgestone blades? J15 MBs are pretty sweet.

I purchased the MP4's as my first set of blades. Once I figured out that I was not man enough for them at that time, I started searching for something else. I went to 765's seeking a little more forgiveness. They were good but just didn't have the feel of the MP4's. I picked up the 965's with the intent to play a mixed set with the 765 long irons but found that the 965s were basically just as forgiving, so I sold the 765s on bst. I'm playing both the 965s and the MP4s still and don't really want to give up either set. There are lots of great blades out there...….these are just the two sets I happen to use.

Two sets and can't pick huh? Si couldn't handle that. Analysis paralysis every round

So 965 comparable feel to MP4 or sacrifice a bit for forgiveness