How do you respond to this...

GoIrish17

When you’re selling, and someone asks you “what’s the lowest you’ll take?”

**Driver:** TaylorMade SIM Max 9° **|** Ventus Black 7 Velocore **3wd:** Titleist TS2 15° (C1) **|** Diamana D+ LTD 70 **Hybrid:** Callaway Apex 18° **|** AD-DI 95 **Irons:** Mizuno MP 18 Fli Hi 4 iron **|** AD-DI 95**/** JPX 919 Forged 5-PW **|** Recoil 95 **Wedges:** Vokey SM8 raw 50°F (Handground S), 54°S, 58°M (Handground A) **|** DG Black Onyx **Putters:** Byron Morgan DH 89 WITB: https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1505670/goirish17s-witb-updated-end-of-page-2#latest

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I usually respond with “what’s your offer?” If I respond to those clowns at all.

[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Current bag:
Titleist TS3 Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65 [/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist TS2 GD Tour AD-MT 7[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist 818H1 19, 818H1 23 GD Tour AD-DI 85[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Epon AF-705 5-AW MRC OT-I 95
Vokey Wedgeworks SM7 Raw 54M, 58D[/font][/size]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Scotty Cameron 009[/size][/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Taylormade TP5x[/size][/font]

I would quote the listing price if they don't make an offer. If they want to negotiate make some effort at least.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

This is why I have been all but a ghost on BST recently. More often than not the responses are from lazy people who refuse to do their own research and for some reason they are curious as to what my experience was with the item. Unless our swings are carbon copies our results will be different.

So when asked 'what's the lowest I'd take' I sometimes reply with an answer that is $10 more than what I listed it for

Ping G400 Max AD IZ 6s
2016 TI M2 HL AD IZ 7s
M2 4h AD DI 8s
Ping G400 5hy ADDI 9s
718 TMB 6-Gap Modus 130s
Scratch 53 Modus 125
Scratch 57 Modus 125
PXG 03x 60* Modus 125

Scotty Cameron Custom 009 HHH

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/982109-joes-witb-set-for-2014-update-2015/#entry10682349"]WITB Link[/url]

This really annoys me. My response is always something like I'm asking $XXX...make me an offer if that's too high for you.

Callaway Paradym 9*
TaylorMade SiM Max Rocket 14*

Srixon ZX 2 hybrid 16* and 4 hybrid 22*
Srixon ZX7 MKII 5-PW
Cleveland RTX ZipCore6 50, 54, 58
Evnroll EV5.1 with Stability Tour Black
Titleist ProV1X
Bushnell Pro XE Rangefinder | Garmin Approach S70 Watch

I always put the ball back in their court. I hate that question. Because, if you do throw out a number that is lower than your asking price, they try to get you down even more. I just ask them to offer a price that they feel is reasonable and we'll go from there.

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

I look at their feedback and posts, etc here. If they seem solid I will negotiate. If they are of the 0 post/0 feedback ilk, I ask them how much money they have. Then I block them.

Aerojet 10.5, turned to 9.5*-  Ventus Blue TR 6x
Cobra F9 3w - Atmos TS Blue 7x
T300 4i (19*) - UST Recoil 95 F4
Srixon 565/765 Combo 5-PW - Project X 5.5hs
SM5 50,54,58,62 - F,K,S Grinds - Rifle 6.0
Odyssey OTR putter
TP5x

I just tell them a price that I am willing to let the item go for. This is a potential buyer, guess I am not easily offended?

TM M6 10.5 Ventus Blue 6S Velocore 
TM GAPR Hi 3 KBS C-Taper Lite
TM 2011 Tour Issue MC 4-PW KBS Tour 120
TM MG2 Nickel 50 and 54 KBS Tour 120

TM MG2 Raw 58 KBS Tour 120
TM Black Copper Soto TP Collection 34in
TM TP5X balls Yellow/Pix

I think it depends on you as the seller. I've listed items before with a number in mind that I have to have, because let's face it - many of us are selling in order to fund another purchase, or pay ourselves back for a club already purchased. I usually list items for what I think they're worth, but also slightly more than I think I might get for them, knowing the negotiations are coming, and what I need to clear.

If I'd honestly rather just have the money than wait around for the perfect buyer to come along, I just tell them....I need to clear $xxx.xx, so that number plus whatever PayPal fees is my bottom dollar.

If I'm really fairly priced and the question comes 5 minutes after listing, I might reply with a number $25 over list price, just on principle.

Ping G425 LST 7.5* | Aldila Rogue White 70TX // TM 300 Mini 13.5 | Aldila Rogue White 80TX // Callaway Apex UW 19* | HZRDUS Smoke RDX 80 6.5 // Srixon ZX U 20* | Recoil Proto 110 F5 // Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo 5-PW // CTaper  Lite 115X | Cleveland CBX2 50/56* | DG 115 Wedge // 37" Odyssey 5K Tri-Hot Triple Wide

If I'm feeling fiesty I'll ask, "What's your highest offer?"

If I actually care I'll ask them to make and offer since I'm not going to bargain with myself.

Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White - 8*
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP - 4-G - Recoil 95 S - 2* upright

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Odyssey OWorks 2ball  -  34" - 1* loft - 71* lie
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

Something I thought of a while back that I haven't had the chance to try yet.

You'll need a neutral third party (finding one you both agree on is the tricky part).

Tell them: "You write down the most you're willing to pay. I'll write down the least I'm willing to take. If our numbers cross, we split the difference. If they fall short of each other, we go our separate ways."

90% of list.

then i ask them to gift.

kidding! i never ask for gifted payments, but i have received them.

as for lowering my price, it's the same dance, i'm just taking the lead. if someone else makes a better offer prior to any $$$ being sent, i have no issue selling it off to the better price.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

Something I thought of a while back that I haven't had the chance to try yet.

You'll need a neutral third party (finding one you both agree on is the tricky part).

Tell them: "You write down the most you're willing to pay. I'll write down the least I'm willing to take. If our numbers cross, we split the difference. If they fall short of each other, we go our separate ways."

I offer just such a service, for the low low price of $15 (gifted of course)

Ping G425 LST 7.5* | Aldila Rogue White 70TX // TM 300 Mini 13.5 | Aldila Rogue White 80TX // Callaway Apex UW 19* | HZRDUS Smoke RDX 80 6.5 // Srixon ZX U 20* | Recoil Proto 110 F5 // Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo 5-PW // CTaper  Lite 115X | Cleveland CBX2 50/56* | DG 115 Wedge // 37" Odyssey 5K Tri-Hot Triple Wide

I will either respond with my listing price/make an offer orrrrrr if its been a bad day I will just laugh and say apparently too high for you or something like that. Just a nonsense question IMO. Give me a legitimate offer and if its close I will give you my lowest right away if I don't feel like haggling.

Forever Changing at this point.......

I'd reply with the lowest offer I would accept.

Finally.

I suspect a number of you guys aren't business people in "real life" (I'm not either).

You don't generally get so many customers that you can afford to offend people unnecessarily. Then again, if you aren't really business people in the first place I guess it's to be expected.

My guess would be 99% of the advertised prices are starting prices and the advertiser expects to sell for less. So why be so offended/offensive ?

99% of the buyers don't expect to pay the asking price here. This isn't Amazon for goodness' sake.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Wow. Pretty much a consensus here.

I ask that question a lot. I preface it by explaining that I don’t want to put an offer out that might be offensive (becasue you never know). If you’ll give me the bottom line that you would accept for it, I’ll either say yes or no. I won’t offer less than that. It eliminates a lot of back and forth.

I don’t think I’ve offended anyone yet. Maybe I have and I’m blocked by a bunch of people, I don’t know.

I have this exact discussion a lot being in the car business. When the ask me that I tell them I’ll give them the bottom dollar, but don’t offer me any five dollars less.

Finally.

I suspect a number of you guys aren't business people in "real life" (I'm not either).

You don't generally get so many customers that you can afford to offend people unnecessarily. Then again, if you aren't really business people in the first place I guess it's to be expected.

My guess would be 99% of the advertised prices are starting prices and the advertiser expects to sell for less. So why be so offended/offensive ?

99% of the buyers don't expect to pay the asking price here. This isn't Amazon for goodness' sake.

I am not offended by it as much as I am annoyed. I have already done the research on pricing and put something up for what I believe to be a fair price. Yes, more often than not, I am willing to work with someone on pricing. But, I started it, I put out a price, a potential purchaser already has an idea of what they are wanting to pay for an item. In the past, I have responded with my lowest price only to have the buyer offer even less. They are trying to lower your starting point so they can negotiate it even further, at least in my experience. I have also just told people to make what they think is a fair offer, just to have them disappear all together.

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

Finally.

Both of those came in while I was typing mine. Sums up my thinking exactly.

Finally.

I am not offended by it as much as I am annoyed. I have already done the research on pricing and put something up for what I believe to be a fair price. Yes, more often than not, I am willing to work with someone on pricing. But, I started it, I put out a price, a potential purchaser already has an idea of what they are wanting to pay for an item. In the past, I have responded with my lowest price only to have the buyer offer even less. They are trying to lower your starting point so they can negotiate it even further, at least in my experience. I have also just told people to make what they think is a fair offer, just to have them disappear all together.

I get it. But who doesn't want to pay the least for the most ? You ? Probably not. Me ? Definitely not. :D

But it takes about 15 seconds to hit "reply" and type "Sorry but xxx is the lowest I can go." and move on. :dntknw:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Finally.

There are so many threads here about low ball offers. I like to think I’m a fair buyer and most of my offers are not bad. But you never know what a seller is going to think. What I might think is fair, it might piss him off. This way, one question, one answer.

Now, as a seller, if do give the bottom price and then someone offers less......then there’s an issue.

I have to haggle enough in my job.