Turn your Great Big Bertha (GBB) into a low spin monster

Noodler

So I broke the head of my Mizuno MP-650 about a month ago and had to go back to my GBB 2015. The GBB just wasn't producing up to the level of my MP-650 unfortunately (too much spin and too high launch). I started changing up the weight config in every way I could think of (using weights bought from BillyBob's); I tried "animal" (2 sliding weights), sole weights from 2g up to 15g, and every position of the sliding weight(s) in combo with the different sole weights. Nothing was really giving me the "magic". I couldn't get the spin under 2500 and my launch was a bit too high for my liking (~18*-20*, I have an upward AoA).

There are lots of posts about going "animal" with the GBB (or Epic) using 2 sliding weights, but that was only increasing the spin for me. Moving the weight all the way to the Draw position does lower the spin by about 150-200 rpm, but then the head turns over really easy through impact, sometimes resulting in way too much draw/hook.

Then it dawned on me that I should try removing the sliding weight completely. This removes 10g from the head, so I had to use the 13g sole weight screw from BillyBob to get the head weight back up to something reasonable (and keep the MOI/swingweight close to where I need it). To my surprise, this turned my old GBB into a low spin monster. Spin dropped to 1800-2000 rpm and my launch came down to about 16*. My GBB is now better than where I had the MP-650, but of course I have a Callaway BB Fusion already on the way to see how that head works for my swing.

So if you have an old GBB 2015 sitting around your house, try removing the sliding weight and increasing the sole weight (using lead tape or BillyBob). You may also find you had a low spin monster hiding in your house... ;)

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Makes some sense, right? Pulling the GC forward?

It does make sense from a physics perspective. That's why I was surprised that there weren't any other posts or other info on the Internet about doing this. The key is making up the loss of the 10g from the sliding weight. Replacing that weight low and forward using an after-market weight "screw" is what makes this work.

Too bad this won't work for the Epic driver since it doesn't have the weight screw where the GBB sits.

Well....I did have a GBB 2015 warming the bench, so I had to try removing the slider weight as you

did. Not having a heavier replacement weight, i used dense lead tape placed more toward the face

than the slider to make up the difference in weight.

Frankly, it transformed the already good GBB - lower spin, straighter without any bias and longer.

It has found its place back into the bag. Thanks for the idea.

Well....I did have a GBB 2015 warming the bench, so I had to try removing the slider weight as you

did. Not having a heavier replacement weight, i used dense lead tape placed more toward the face

than the slider to make up the difference in weight.

Frankly, it transformed the already good GBB - lower spin, straighter without any bias and longer.

It has found its place back into the bag. Thanks for the idea.

Good to hear that someone else has found some success with this mod. I hadn't considered the simple addition of lead tape to the bottom of the driver head. That would make this mod possible for the GBB Epic too.

An interesting side story to this mod...

Not long after I discovered this change using the heavier weight screw, I noticed that there was a loud rattling in my head. Upon removing the weight screw I noticed that the bottom half of it had sheared off and the broken piece was now knocking around inside the head. Oh no!

So I wrote a message to Billy Bob's Golf letting them know what happened. I guessed that the design of the weight was flawed and wondered if anyone else had experienced this problem. I just wanted to let them know about the failure and was asking about options to try to repair the head (including adding more hot melt to secure the broken piece, etc.). Billy Bob himself contacted me and after a few more email exchanges explaining what had happened and including some pictures, Billy Bob offered to replace the head! This is the company that had only provided the heavier weight ($17.99) and yet they were willing to replace the head via Callaway Preowned.

I haven't received the replacement yet, but I am just floored that they even offered to go this far to make the situation right. Billy Bob definitely stands behind his products and his company.

Agreed - Billy Bob's is top notch. I thought they would just offer to hot melt it for you...wow.

Glad I used lead tape instead ! Think i'll leave it that way for now.....

An interesting side story to this mod...

Not long after I discovered this change using the heavier weight screw, I noticed that there was a loud rattling in my head. Upon removing the weight screw I noticed that the bottom half of it had sheared off and the broken piece was now knocking around inside the head. Oh no!

So I wrote a message to Billy Bob's Golf letting them know what happened. I guessed that the design of the weight was flawed and wondered if anyone else had experienced this problem. I just wanted to let them know about the failure and was asking about options to try to repair the head (including adding more hot melt to secure the broken piece, etc.). Billy Bob himself contacted me and after a few more email exchanges explaining what had happened and including some pictures, Billy Bob offered to replace the head! This is the company that had only provided the heavier weight ($17.99) and yet they were willing to replace the head via Callaway Preowned.

I haven't received the replacement yet, but I am just floored that they even offered to go this far to make the situation right. Billy Bob definitely stands behind his products and his company.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.