2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

How do you respond to this...

GoIrish17

I delete the conversation

Do you even answer them?

No. My stuff always seems to sell within a day or two so I don't waste my time with people that don't make an offer.

I used to answer with "What's the most you're willing to pay?" but don't even bother anymore.

It just seems somewhat lazy on the buyers part to me. I always check sold eBay listings and previous BST listings and list for the same or lower. I guess if I had trouble selling an item I needed to get rid of I might be inclined to answer, but I haven't come across that situation yet.

Fair enough. Your feedback speaks for itself, obviously a top notch seller.

I guess it proves that “to each their own” is very true.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guess I'd give them the price that I've decided is the minimum I need for the sale. And I will tell them that so it's a take it or leave it at that point.

That’s what I’m asking for when I ask. And if I do ask, it is definitely take it or leave it.

But if someone decides they’re selling soemthing, and the least they’ll take is $200. If they tell me that and it works for me, all I’m going to ask for is PayPal info so I can send the money. A whole lot of hassle just got avoided.

Delete the conversation without even an answer and a sale, for an amount the seller would be satisfied with, is gone.

I respond with I can’t buy it and sell it, make me an offer

Driver- TC Epic 440 with Hzrdus T1100<br />3-Wood- 13 Degree Ping stretch with Ping Tour 75x<br />Hybrid- 915 with Graphite Design Tour AD DI 85<br />Irons- ( 4-PW ) JPX 900 Forged with 110s Steelfibers - Wedges- Sm6 Vokey 48 bent 2 degrees strong - sm6 vokey raw 56 bent to 55 , 58 Raw Low Bounce K grind ( 110 Steelfibers in all wedges same length shafts )<br />Putter- Scotty Cameron Laguna 1.5 Studio Torch Finish that I did...

Imagine a BST full of "whats your lowest" when most of the items being sold are already at half price. Exceptions for collectible and limited release items...

Ideal scenario;

Buyer: Whats your lowest?

Seller: I have it listed for $250 but its yours for $225 PayPal'd and shipped.

Buyer: Payment incoming, thanks!

Annoying scenario;

(two days later)....

Buyer: You still got that Scotty?

Seller: Yes, $225 PayPal'd and shipped.

Buyer: Will you take $185?

(conversation deleted)....

- KC

Titleist TSi3 8°

Mizuno ST-Z 230 5w

Ping G430 4hy

Ping i59 4-PW

Ping Glide 4.0 52S/58T

Odyssey Marxman XG 48"

I respond politely and move on.

TM SIM2 Max Driver

TM SIM2 Max 3 & 5

PXG 0311 XF Gen 1 4-W 

Titleist SM8 Black Wedges 48-54-58

Srixon Q-Star Tour 
2009 Custom Scotty Cameron Welded Neck 009 35/330g (with a slap of lead tape for sauciness)
“Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”

Imagine a BST full of "whats your lowest" when most of the items being sold are already at half price. Exceptions for collectible and limited release items...

Ideal scenario;

Annoying scenario;

(two days later)....

- KC

The second scenario, when he says will you take $185? Now it’s $265!

Dang.

Alot of angry sellers here.

Its a sale and should be approached that way by both sides. There really is no tight or wrong question or answer. If you are inquiring then ask however you want. If your responding to an inquiry then also do so however you want.

If your approach is to delete then block your inquiring buyers then so be it. You just narrowed your buyer potential.

If you ask one ended inquiries then you may have lowered your chances of a deal.

Both sides should approach every deal with the hopes to make a deal. At least thats what has worked for me in the past.

Dang.

Its a sale and should be approached that way by both sides. There really is no tight or wrong question or answer. If you are inquiring then ask however you want. If your responding to an inquiry then also do so however you want.

If your approach is to delete then block your inquiring buyers then so be it. You just narrowed your buyer potential.

If you ask one ended inquiries then you may have lowered your chances of a deal.

Both sides should approach every deal with the hopes to make a deal. At least thats what has worked for me in the past.

Yeah and since opening with "what's the lowest you'll take?" clearly doesn't sit well with a lot of sellers...it's probably not the best or even a good approach when you're "hoping to make a deal".

OP here. I just wanted to clarify, the question that prompted this post was not a BST offer, but an offer on an item I had listed on eBay with a Buy-it-Now price and the Best Offer option. I probably should have specified my question, seeing as how everyone just assumed I was talking about BST (and rightly so). I have fielded my fair share of "what's the lowest you'll take?" here on BST, and while a little frustrating because they are trying to circumvent the negotiation process and just get me to "whip it out" (so to speak) and tell them what my rock bottom is, it's not offensive to me and I'll try to tactfully use it as a jumping off point in a negotiation. Because, the honest answer to the question of "what is the lowest you'll take?" is "the most someone is willing to pay", but I am also not looking to fleece any members here. I will always give members here the benefit of the doubt and never slam the door shut on an inquiry. Well, I might be a little shorter with the guys that have no posts, a recent join date, and no feedback... but we're all homies here as far as I'm concerned about the BST.

What made me post this was the fact that it was an eBay BIN sale with a best offer option. Clearly, it was someone kicking tires and not looking to place a committable offer via the option on my listing. When I sell here, I enjoy a little back-and-forth with a potential buyer. Allows me to "feel them out", so to speak. Now, when my item has made the rapid decent down the first page and disappears on to the older pages and I decide to move an item to eBay, I do it because I am done babysitting an ad. I am not looking to dicker back and forth via private message on eBay.

Basically, I was curious how others handle this situation in all aspects of selling, not just the unique world of the BST. I tried to keepo my answer as brief and impersonal as possible. "You're free to make an offer. I will consider any reasonable offer, but I am not desperate and not looking to give my putter away".

My problem with the best offer feature on EBay is that if you aren’t going to accept anything less than what it’s listed at why put it as an option?

Dang.

Yeah and since opening with "what's the lowest you'll take?" clearly doesn't sit well with a lot of sellers...it's probably not the best or even a good approach when you're "hoping to make a deal".

I cant recall ever using it. And absolutely revised my statement if i got no response quickly.

OP here. I just wanted to clarify, the question that prompted this post was not a BST offer, but an offer on an item I had listed on eBay with a Buy-it-Now price and the Best Offer option. I probably should have specified my question, seeing as how everyone just assumed I was talking about BST (and rightly so). I have fielded my fair share of "what's the lowest you'll take?" here on BST, and while a little frustrating because they are trying to circumvent the negotiation process and just get me to "whip it out" (so to speak) and tell them what my rock bottom is, it's not offensive to me and I'll try to tactfully use it as a jumping off point in a negotiation. Because, the honest answer to the question of "what is the lowest you'll take?" is "the most someone is willing to pay", but I am also not looking to fleece any members here. I will always give members here the benefit of the doubt and never slam the door shut on an inquiry. Well, I might be a little shorter with the guys that have no posts, a recent join date, and no feedback... but we're all homies here as far as I'm concerned about the BST.

What made me post this was the fact that it was an eBay BIN sale with a best offer option. Clearly, it was someone kicking tires and not looking to place a committable offer via the option on my listing. When I sell here, I enjoy a little back-and-forth with a potential buyer. Allows me to "feel them out", so to speak. Now, when my item has made the rapid decent down the first page and disappears on to the older pages and I decide to move an item to eBay, I do it because I am done babysitting an ad. I am not looking to dicker back and forth via private message on eBay.

Basically, I was curious how others handle this situation in all aspects of selling, not just the unique world of the BST. I tried to keepo my answer as brief and impersonal as possible. "You're free to make an offer. I will consider any reasonable offer, but I am not desperate and not looking to give my putter away".

My problem with the best offer feature on EBay is that if you aren't going to accept anything less than what it's listed at why put it as an option?

Who said they wouldn't accept anything less than the listed price? I use the feature exactly the same as "OBO" here on BST. I have a number in my head I'd like to get for my item, but I'm not going to indulge some stranger on eBay in his tire kicking. If he wanted to make an offer, he was more than welcome to. The problem I imagine from his end, though, is that if he made an offer (rather than message me) and I accepted, he'd be on the hook to pay it.

**Driver:** TaylorMade SIM Max 9° **|** Ventus Black 7 Velocore **3wd:** Titleist TS2 15° (C1) **|** Diamana D+ LTD 70 **Hybrid:** Callaway Apex 18° **|** AD-DI 95 **Irons:** Mizuno MP 18 Fli Hi 4 iron **|** AD-DI 95**/** JPX 919 Forged 5-PW **|** Recoil 95 **Wedges:** Vokey SM8 raw 50°F (Handground S), 54°S, 58°M (Handground A) **|** DG Black Onyx **Putters:** Byron Morgan DH 89 WITB: https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1505670/goirish17s-witb-updated-end-of-page-2#latest

I hate the back forth when buying stuff so I always ask what their bottom dollar is and if it’s a good number for me I buy it if not I move on. It’s better than than a 30 post back and forth argument over a couple of bucks.

Callaway Customs Rogue ST Max D 12° Driver

Ping BeCu Eye 2 + Brown Dot 4-PW/SW Irons

Taylormade MySpider GT Putter

I try to price everything low enough so I don't have to worry about that but it still happens. I am more open to that when a buyer wants multiple items.

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 Max 9* Matrix 8M3
3 Wood: TM 16 M2 13* Diamana Thump 75
4-7 Wood: Cobra F6 Baffler 19* PX Evenflow
4 Iron: TM RSI TP UDI Aldila Rip'd VS Proto
5-PW: Bridgestone J15DF KBS C-Taper
50,56,60: Callaway MD3, Vokey TVD, Mizuno T7
Putter: Method 003, Bettinardi Queen B7

I hate the back forth when buying stuff so I always ask what their bottom dollar is and if it’s a good number for me I buy it if not I move on. It’s better than than a 30 post back and forth argument over a couple of bucks.

Did you see the thread in DoND (locked right now for cleanup). 49 posts and multiple days to almost complete a purchase.

Ideal scenario;

Annoying scenario;

(two days later)....

- KC

This. All day every day for, it seems like, every sale I’ve ever made on BST and/or make and offer on EBay.

Now I don’t negotiate against myself.

My problem with the best offer feature on EBay is that if you aren't going to accept anything less than what it's listed at why put it as an option?

Who said they wouldn't accept anything less than the listed price? I use the feature exactly the same as "OBO" here on BST. I have a number in my head I'd like to get for my item, but I'm not going to indulge some stranger on eBay in his tire kicking. If he wanted to make an offer, he was more than welcome to. The problem I imagine from his end, though, is that if he made an offer (rather than message me) and I accepted, he'd be on the hook to pay it.

Sorry, I wasn’t clear. Wasn’t talking about you. I’ve made quite a few offers that are within $10-20 of the asking price and they have gotten rejected immediately, showing me they had the “auto decline” set basically at their asking price.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. Wasn't talking about you. I've made quite a few offers that are within $10-20 of the asking price and they have gotten rejected immediately, showing me they had the "auto decline" set basically at their asking price.

i know the ones you’re talking about. I’ve bid on $80 BIN listing and been automatically turned down at $70. Tried $75, then $77, $78, $79, nada. I didn’t try to see what decimal they’d landed on as their “auto accept” threshold, I moved along and paid slightly more to someone else, just because of the waste of my time. I ask myself the same question you asked - why in the world have the option if you aren’t going to accept anything? Though, I do seek out listings that have an offer option, so maybe that is the answer.

I very much enjoy the offer feature on eBay, in spite of the fact that it’s a relatively anonymous and consequence-free way to kick tires. It makes negotiating so simple - you offer, I counter offer, we either meet somewhere or we don’t, and we move on. The only real downfall of the offer feature is when you counter someone’s offer and they don’t respond, you’re kind of handcuffed on editing your ad/ price until either they decline, or (more likely) don’t decline but rather just ignore the counter. Then you’re stuck having to wait like 48 hours to make changes to your listing.

**Driver:** TaylorMade SIM Max 9° **|** Ventus Black 7 Velocore **3wd:** Titleist TS2 15° (C1) **|** Diamana D+ LTD 70 **Hybrid:** Callaway Apex 18° **|** AD-DI 95 **Irons:** Mizuno MP 18 Fli Hi 4 iron **|** AD-DI 95**/** JPX 919 Forged 5-PW **|** Recoil 95 **Wedges:** Vokey SM8 raw 50°F (Handground S), 54°S, 58°M (Handground A) **|** DG Black Onyx **Putters:** Byron Morgan DH 89 WITB: https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1505670/goirish17s-witb-updated-end-of-page-2#latest

You tell them the lowest number you will take. It takes the whole thing of letting them low ball you, you being irritated, not responding at all, then finally sending them the lowest offer you will take. I have done it many a times and it quickly clears those who are serious buyers and those who dont have enough money to buy it and want something for cheap.

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

My favorite is when you list something for say $300 and get this 10 min after listing

Buyer - “hey will you take $285?”

Me - “Yes, you pay shipping.”

I try to list things as fair as possible and think I do a good job at that. I never really understand the point of an offer to say $10-$20. But it happens almost every time now. Is what it is. Not really sure when the BST turned into everything was obo but.... it’s always better then paying eBay.

PING G400 LST 10* Tensei Pro Orange
TI 16 Tmag M2 16.5 Tensei Pro White
Taylormade P790 3-PW KBS $-Taper
Vokey SM7 54, 60
Few CT's
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/614765-noyes-witb-updated-8-4-13/"]WITB Link[/url]

I just tell them a price that I am willing to let the item go for. This is a potential buyer, guess I am not easily offended?

Sometimes it's better to sell the item than to be annoyed at the way someone goes about negotiating. I'm with you on this one.

M5 w/Rogue
Cobra F6 3/4 wood w/Kuro Kage
RSI 2 driving iron w/recoil
PSI Tour 4-pw w/S300
MD3 50/54/58
Lajosi DD201 w/full face Damascus insert

Sorry, I wasn't clear. Wasn't talking about you. I've made quite a few offers that are within $10-20 of the asking price and they have gotten rejected immediately, showing me they had the "auto decline" set basically at their asking price.

i know the ones you’re talking about. I’ve bid on $80 BIN listing and been automatically turned down at $70. Tried $75, then $77, $78, $79, nada. I didn’t try to see what decimal they’d landed on as their “auto accept” threshold, I moved along and paid slightly more to someone else, just because of the waste of my time. I ask myself the same question you asked - why in the world have the option if you aren’t going to accept anything? Though, I do seek out listings that have an offer option, so maybe that is the answer.

I very much enjoy the offer feature on eBay, in spite of the fact that it’s a relatively anonymous and consequence-free way to kick tires. It makes negotiating so simple - you offer, I counter offer, we either meet somewhere or we don’t, and we move on. The only real downfall of the offer feature is when you counter someone’s offer and they don’t respond, you’re kind of handcuffed on editing your ad/ price until either they decline, or (more likely) don’t decline but rather just ignore the counter. Then you’re stuck having to wait like 48 hours to make changes to your listing.

I like it as well. I am on the same page. I am more apt to look at ads that have it as an option for whatever reason. My biggest issue is as a buyer, you offer and they don't respond to it and it just expires. I then am locked in until that point or they decline. If a day goes by and I hear nothing back, I can't just go with another listing. I am not talking about a lowball offer either. If they feel it's too low, then just counter or reject it. I make a point to respond to offers as soon as I can to avoid that situation for buyers.

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

A lot of great stuff here. Interesting debate and plausible reasoning for both sides. I think the psychology behind all of this is pretty fascinating. The seller can certainly do their market research... but still, the prices in the posts that we author ourselves are arbitrary (some more so than others). Oftentimes, I feel like the buyer just wants to feel like they "win" a little by knocking off a tiny fragment of the listed asking price. Baking in that "win" for the buyer who is inevitably going to offer some sort of lowball is something that I have experimented with as a seller.

That being said I can see how the seller who thinks they are listing everything for a "more than fair price" would be irritated, just like I can see how the seller who uses the listed price as a starting point for negotiations to be perfectly content. I tend to fall into the former category and often ignore ridiculous lowballs. When I get this question specifically, I want to send back "The prices that are listed aren't suggestions. That's what they cost," but I realize this isn't the best closing technique :)

A lot of great stuff here. Interesting debate and plausible reasoning for both sides. I think the psychology behind all of this is pretty fascinating. The seller can certainly do their market research... but still, the prices in the posts that we author ourselves are arbitrary (some more so than others). Oftentimes, I feel like the buyer just wants to feel like they "win" a little by knocking off a tiny fragment of the listed asking price. Baking in that "win" for the buyer who is inevitably going to offer some sort of lowball is something that I have experimented with as a seller.

That being said I can see how the seller who thinks they are listing everything for a "more than fair price" would be irritated, just like I can see how the seller who uses the listed price as a starting point for negotiations to be perfectly content. I tend to fall into the former category and often ignore ridiculous lowballs. When I get this question specifically, I want to send back "The prices that are listed aren't suggestions. That's what they cost," but I realize this isn't the best closing technique :)

Good point. It is difficult to list items for a realistic and fair price. Because the BST has become a place where it is expected that people will offer less. Anymore I find it’s newer members who are more likely to pay the asking price. Not that there’s a lot of them, but still some. Then when someone does pay full price you start to wonder if you priced it too low!

Did you see the thread in DoND (locked right now for cleanup). 49 posts and multiple days to almost complete a purchase.

If it's taking 49 posts to make a purchase/sale, you're both doing it wrong. Weirdest thread I've seen in a long while.

Paradym 10.5

Epic 3w 15

Callaway Apex UW 21*

Titelist T150

Callaway Jaws 5 50*, 54*

Cleve Zip 60*

Ping PLD3/Rahm Rossie S/TP Mills Fleetwood custom

The BST is a sellers market for sure.

Over the past few years the BST has seen an increase in listing prices. And a decrease in “good deals” for the brotherhood it was before.

The past few years have also seen a decrease in the number of clubmakers on the market (less competition between brands), as well as an increase in retail prices, all while retail locations (and the sales prices and employee discounts) have diminished, as have trade in values as the remaining options leverage their market strength. All of the above make it more expensive for the first buyer and have raised the market in general; it’s not necessarily owners just wanting more money imo.

I find it hilarious that some of you that get irritated by that question have given low-ball offers yourselves.

This is an interesting post