St Andrews trip - best places to eat and drink

Off on my 3rd trip to St Andrews next week, 1st time was only a brief overnight stay, didnt play, 2nd trip last year (2 nights) and played the Old Course (best golfing day of my life!) this time going for 3 nights, its me, the wife, my dad and his girlfriend, and was basically after some recommendations for eating and drinking at night.

Last year i stayed at the fairmont so had dinner at the hotel, but this year staying right in the centre, no driving needed (so plenty of drinking permitted) and as i've said i'm there for 3 nights this time.

I know about the Jigger inn which is essential for at least 1 drink, but anywhere people recommend, just needs to be walking distance from the centre, not too fussed on cost (it is my birthday after all)

Thanks in advance

Ping G425 LST 9*

Cobra LTDx LS 14.5*

Cobra SZ 17* hybrid

Ping G425 Crossover 3

Ping I500 5-PW

Ping I210 UW

Ping Glide 4.0 54/58

Odyssey OG Rossie "Rahm"

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Off on my 3rd trip to St Andrews next week, 1st time was only a brief overnight stay, didnt play, 2nd trip last year (2 nights) and played the Old Course (best golfing day of my life!) this time going for 3 nights, its me, the wife, my dad and his girlfriend, and was basically after some recommendations for eating and drinking at night.

Last year i stayed at the fairmont so had dinner at the hotel, but this year staying right in the centre, no driving needed (so plenty of drinking permitted) and as i've said i'm there for 3 nights this time.

I know about the Jigger inn which is essential for at least 1 drink, but anywhere people recommend, just needs to be walking distance from the centre, not too fussed on cost (it is my birthday after all)

Thanks in advance

The Dunvegan...right up the street from The Old Course. Good food and atmosphere.

Ping G430 LST (GD AD IZ} 10° 
Titleist TSr 2 FW (GD AD DI) 14.5°
Titleist TSr 2 Hybrid (GD AD DI) 18° 
Ping i530 5-UW (KBS Tour S 120)
Ping S159 52° & 57°, Glide Pro 62°
Ping PLD Anser D 

I liked the Whey Pat and the Cross Keys. The Jigger and the Dunvegan are both very popular with visiting golfers, and are lovely, but if you want to be among Scots, you have to walk a little further. The Whey Pat is on Bridge Street, just outside the old city gate on South Street. The Keys is on Market Street, just west of the market square.

We had some very nice meals at the Russell Hotel. For Indian food, try Jahangir, in South Street. I've read lots of raves about Little Italy, not been there myself. The Seafood Restaurant, close to the R&A clubhouse, was great when I was there a few years ago, but I believe it has changed hands. Last, for a wee bite to take to the course with you (most don't have any "halfway house") get "Probably the best bacon roll in the world" at Munch, just inside the old city gate on South Street.

I liked the Whey Pat and the Cross Keys. The Jigger and the Dunvegan are both very popular with visiting golfers, and are lovely, but if you want to be among Scots, you have to walk a little further. The Whey Pat is on Bridge Street, just outside the old city gate on South Street. The Keys is on Market Street, just west of the market square.

We had some very nice meals at the Russell Hotel. For Indian food, try Jahangir, in South Street. I've read lots of raves about Little Italy, not been there myself. The Seafood Restaurant, close to the R&A clubhouse, was great when I was there a few years ago, but I believe it has changed hands. Last, for a wee bite to take to the course with you (most don't have any "halfway house") get "Probably the best bacon roll in the world" at Munch, just inside the old city gate on South Street.

Something a bit out of the ordinary and a bit off the beaten track definitely appeals

Thanks

Ping G425 LST 9*

Cobra LTDx LS 14.5*

Cobra SZ 17* hybrid

Ping G425 Crossover 3

Ping I500 5-PW

Ping I210 UW

Ping Glide 4.0 54/58

Odyssey OG Rossie "Rahm"

Ziggy’s is surprisingly good and only a couple of blocks from the Dunvegan. It was suggested by the bartender at the Dunvegan earlier this year and we liked it a lot for a change of pace from pub food. I’ve been to St Andrews several times and it was my first time there but I’ll be trying it again next time.

Just googled this, definitely looks a little different, easily (drunken) walk able to my hotel as well

Ping G425 LST 9*

Cobra LTDx LS 14.5*

Cobra SZ 17* hybrid

Ping G425 Crossover 3

Ping I500 5-PW

Ping I210 UW

Ping Glide 4.0 54/58

Odyssey OG Rossie "Rahm"

Ziggy’s is surprisingly good and only a couple of blocks from the Dunvegan. It was suggested by the bartender at the Dunvegan earlier this year and we liked it a lot for a change of pace from pub food. I’ve been to St Andrews several times and it was my first time there but I’ll be trying it again next time.

Just googled this, definitely looks a little different, easily (drunken) walk able to my hotel as well

Where are you staying? I stayed in the Murray Park area, and none of the places were too far for a drunken stumble.

Where are you staying? I stayed in the Murray Park area, and none of the places were too far for a drunken stumble.

Staying at the premier inn this time, stayed at the fairmont last time, but you have to drive in to the centre, first time we stayed at the Rusacks, which was nice, but 3 nights for 4 of us it was a bit pricey considering how much golf we are also planning on playing, Premier Inn's are usually quite good considering how much they are

Ping G425 LST 9*

Cobra LTDx LS 14.5*

Cobra SZ 17* hybrid

Ping G425 Crossover 3

Ping I500 5-PW

Ping I210 UW

Ping Glide 4.0 54/58

Odyssey OG Rossie "Rahm"

I second the Whey Pat. Make sure to try the Haggis Nachos. Delicious!

Best Fish and Chips in town is Cromars at the end of Market Street

If you like craft beer, the St. Andrews Brewing Company is a must stop.

Sports bar and lots of locals (especially caddies), check out The Blue Stane

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6
G410 LST 3 Wood w/ AD-DI 8
19* Callaway Rogue Pro Hybrid w/ AD-DI 85
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged w/ Steelfiber 110
Mizuno T20 Blue Ion 54* and 58* w/ Steelfiber 110
Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Del Mar

Ball: ProV1

I second the Whey Pat. Make sure to try the Haggis Nachos. Delicious!

Best Fish and Chips in town is Cromars at the end of Market Street

If you like craft beer, the St. Andrews Brewing Company is a must stop.

Sports bar and lots of locals (especially caddies), check out The Blue Stane

It seems like the Whey pat is going to be on the list, and its only a 10 min walk from the hotel

and i love proper haggis!

Ping G425 LST 9*

Cobra LTDx LS 14.5*

Cobra SZ 17* hybrid

Ping G425 Crossover 3

Ping I500 5-PW

Ping I210 UW

Ping Glide 4.0 54/58

Odyssey OG Rossie "Rahm"

Copied from my post back in August:

=====================

Guess this is as good a place to start as any.

So food/bar wise we ended up hitting some really good spots - some more than once. Depends on what you like really. There are apparently a couple of nightclub/late night type places - cant comment on those good or bad. But it depends on whether you're looking for sort of more popular, crowded, touristy spots or more locals type places.

And if there's one thing a list like this shows its just how much you can miss if you blow through St Andrews in a day or two.

Dunvegan - went once because we felt like we had to. Made a reservation for dinner through the hotel but ended up sitting in the bar area anyway. Food was decent. I dont know, if we hadnt gone I wouldnt have felt like we missed anything. IMO its a bit overrated - at least compared to some other options. Our cab driver told us the Dunvegan nickname is the "American embassy". But so many people were saying "Oh you have to go to the Dunvegan, you have to". OK, I went. Yeah, there are a ton of pictures hung up on the wall. And oh how quaint, a trough in the mens room instead of urinals. On any return trips though, it wont be on the list.

If you are only there for one night, I wouldn't go.

Jigger - worth going if you can sit outside and watch people play up 17. Absolutely beautiful spot in the late afternoon/early evening with the view of the city. BTW "early evening" at this time of year is around 9pm LOL. If we had been just sitting inside, I'm not sure I would have gone. Another place people say you have to go to, so we went. Would go back if we could sit outside.

The Keys - Probably my favorite place of the whole trip. Small place, very much a locals and caddie hangout. Primarily a whisky spot but a good amount of beer too. Never ate here, honestly not sure I saw anyone eating there. But we watched the first half of the Man U game there on Friday night and it was so much fun. Just a great crowd. Again its small, couldn't go there with a big group and expect to get in let alone get seats. Went three different nights.

Whey Pat - Another local place although a little bigger. Couple of blocks off the main drag/s but certainly not far enough away that you would need a cab. Quiet spot, great service. Probably an easier place to go with a group because there is a lot more room to spread out.

Criterion - Were told it was a sports bar but when we went the tvs were all off and they werent showing any games at all. Nonetheless really good bartenders and the locals that were there said the food was good.

Foodwise we really liked Forgans and Tailend. Tailend is a chip shop up front - or some type of to-go operation - and then a restaurant in the back. A+ food, great service. Same with Forgans. Cool interior space with the entrance down an alley, excellent drink menu, really good bartender.

We ate in the Fairmont clubhouse one day for lunch. Beautiful spot, hard to beat the views. Ate a couple meals in the Links Clubhouse too. Again, good food, OK service. But its very convenient if you are playing the New/Jubilee or waiting out an Old Course slot.

We wanted to get to the Steak Barn but they dont take reservations. Also missed out on the St Andrews Waffle Company which we heard was very good.

If I only had one night out in town, I would eat dinner at the Tailend (make a reservation if you can although we didnt have one) and then hit The Keys for drinks.

TM Stealth2 10.5* - Ventus TR Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TBD - TM P7MC // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey 46*/50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

Everyone always recommends me to go to Forgans

http://www.forgans.co.uk/st-andrews/

Had a good meal there first night of a stag do in May, second night a distinctly average meal in the St Andrews Brewing co.

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

There this past August - we thought Forgan's was excellent. Playfair's was also nice. Blackthorn, the burger place, is pefect for a quick lunch. Criterion definitely gets a more local and less "golfy" crowd and is very cool. Mozza was a last minute dinner selection for us one night and was pretty solid for another casual option.

Tailend for take out fish n chips or their sit down restaurant with all types of seafood. Along with Forgans, these were my two spots.

Nike Tour Premiere
Nike TW13
Jordan Flight Runner
Ecco Biom Hybrid
Nike TW14 Masters 
Nike React Vapor 2
Nike AM97

Sim Max driver
M6 3, 5 woods
Vokey SM7 wedges
Scotty Fastback T22

Go to Forgans for brunch/lunch or dinner. I'd book for dinner, lovely treat for the family.

This is also very nice.

http://dollshousestandrews.co.uk/food/

To be honest - St Andrews is such a lovely place, with alot of money flowing though it, it is hard to go wrong. I think it is too upmarket to have any "tourist traps"

The peat inn is special - though i bit outside of st Andrews

https://www.thepeatinn.co.uk/

Enjoy the trip bro - I hope the weather clears - it has been a little rainy and windy of late.

The Steak Barn is AWESOME but used to be seasonal - double check when you arrive but if you can go it is real good.

https://www.balgove.com/pages/steak-barn

Pubs and pub grub you really can't go wrong anywhere, there are so many eatery's to duff ones are closed quickly!

2014 Low 2.9
2015 Low 2.6
2016 Low 2.1
2017 Target 1.4
2018 Target 0.4
2019 Target +15
Current 0.2

Go to Forgans for brunch/lunch or dinner. I'd book for dinner, lovely treat for the family.

This is also very nice.

http://dollshousestandrews.co.uk/food/

To be honest - St Andrews is such a lovely place, with alot of money flowing though it, it is hard to go wrong. I think it is too upmarket to have any "tourist traps"

The peat inn is special - though i bit outside of st Andrews

https://www.thepeatinn.co.uk/

Enjoy the trip bro - I hope the weather clears - it has been a little rainy and windy of late.

The Steak Barn is AWESOME but used to be seasonal - double check when you arrive but if you can go it is real good.

https://www.balgove.com/pages/steak-barn

Pubs and pub grub you really can't go wrong anywhere, there are so many eatery's to duff ones are closed quickly!

I've been checking the weather forecast daily and from Tuesday it doesn't look to bad, been to Scotland 4 times in the past 2 years (my favourite place in the uk) and I've never had bad weather, just lucky I guess, got sunburnt one 1 trip!

Ping G425 LST 9*

Cobra LTDx LS 14.5*

Cobra SZ 17* hybrid

Ping G425 Crossover 3

Ping I500 5-PW

Ping I210 UW

Ping Glide 4.0 54/58

Odyssey OG Rossie "Rahm"

I'm up in St Andrews for a short family break at the moment (no golfing) and just been for a meal in the Thai street food restaurant, Tanon. This is probably the best tasting Thai food I've ever eaten.

Been to the usual ones also, Tail-end for a sit in and Cromars for a takeaway and both were great as usual.

I'd happily eat in the Thai restaurant every day though and just have something different each time, it was that good.

TaylorMade M2 (2016) 9.5* (2* lower) HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5
TaylorMade M1 15* Tensei CK Pro White 80X or
Taylor Made tour issue M2 T3 Ozik Matrix 8M3 X

TaylorMade Rsi TP 3-PW (1.5* strong) NS-Pro MOdus 3 tour130 X
Callaway MD 3 48 bent to 50 KBS 610 S+
Callaway MD 3 52 bent to 54 [size=4]KBS 610 S+[/size]
Callaway MD 2 58 [size=4]KBS 610 S+[/size]

Odyssey 2-ball Pro-Type milled face putter.

Tour Preferred X or TP5x ball.

Tailend for take out fish n chips or their sit down restaurant with all types of seafood. Along with Forgans, these were my two spots.

THIS! Tailend is the bomb. Was in st. Andrews for 12 days and went 3 times

The Jigger is very cool

Ziggys was a blast, great food

Rascals has best milkshake in town

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

Balgove Larder

Little Italy

Maisha (Indian)

New Course ( clubhouse pub )

Eden Course (clubhouse pub)

Dunvegan

Pizza Express

Dr Noodles (fast food takeaway)

All decent not too expensive

Dr. Noodles was extreme good, Pizza Express i thought wasnt that great but i guess i cant expect much at 2am

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

We found Little Italy to be quite good. It was booked the first time we tried, went back a day or two later.

Same, we made a reservation for a later day and went back and had outstanding meals.

St. Andrews Waffle Company is quaint and actually went there twice and tried 3 different kinds, lol, second time had to include the apple crumble for dessert.

Restaurant at the clubhouse overlooking the New Course was just okay, IMO.

We were staying and self-catering out of the city so didn't get to explore restaurants/pubs to the extent we would have had we stayed in St. Andrews.

So i'm back home from another great trip, although couldn't get on the Old course this time, it was so busy, first day tried to queue at 5.15am and there was about 10 people already waiting, there was only about 4 spots though, so played the New course, second day i tried to queue up at 4.15am, we turn up and there was 9 people who had all camped out overnight, crazy, especially in the middle of October, so ending up playing the Torrance course at the Fairmont.

So my thoughts -

New course - was good, some interesting holes, shot 81 on a very cold frosty morning

Torrance course (Fairmont) - a real surprise, i loved it, shot 79, and from what i could see there was only about 10 of us on the course, would definitely play this and the other course (Kittocks) in the future, some of the best views i have ever had playing golf.

First night -

Drinks at

Whey pat - Great little pub, ending up eating here, average food tbh

The saint - Loved this place

St Andrews brewing co. - another great little pub

Greyfriars - Drinks - Great atmosphere

Second night -

Whey pat - drinks

The saint - drinks and then a meal - Lovely food

Third night -

Whey pat - drinks

Greyfriars - drinks and food, food not great, guy with a purple beard was an interesting chap!

Vic - drinks

The saint - drinks

Unfortunately this time we went with my dad and his missus, who don't like Italian, so couldn't try Little Italy etc, was very disappointing i didn't get to try Ziggys as well, as i have now found out they don't do steaks either!

You will also notice a few places were visited a few times, apparently once they find a place they like whats the point in trying others!??

So next years trip is already booked, this time just me and wife!

Ping G425 LST 9*

Cobra LTDx LS 14.5*

Cobra SZ 17* hybrid

Ping G425 Crossover 3

Ping I500 5-PW

Ping I210 UW

Ping Glide 4.0 54/58

Odyssey OG Rossie "Rahm"