Installing grips. What am I doing wrong??

joj

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regular grip or putter grip?

Some grips have a smaller opening I think and are harder to get on. You can't use too much solvent really, it always evaporates eventually.

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

Not enough.

When you put some in the grip, plug the ends with your fingers and shake it to make sure it gets all over. Use the small hole end to let it drain over the tape.

Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
Bobby: I play because I love it.
Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.

Kleen Strip Odorless Mineral Spirits in the clear bottle. that's what you want. then get a condiments squeeze bottle for a dollar or two and fill it up. it's easier to work with in a squeeze bottle for me. pick up a roll of shop towels to help keep the end of the grip clean. should all be under $10 at walmart.

d08a009d-624b-4d7a-b624-838c3d1c08f3_1.10af2e9f040fe5558ea40e8ebb0a8807.jpeg?odnHeight=450&odnWidth=450&odnBg=FFFFFF

915D2 Rogue Silver 60S
915F Rogue Black 80S
915H Rogue Black 85S
712u 4i Recoil F4 110
714 AP2 5-PW Nippon Modus3 Tour 105x
SM6 51.08F | 56.08M | 60.10S
Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec 33/350G
restoration on my Mil-Spec

Have to go fast with it. I slide that grip on quickly.

This is the key, and almost guarantee this is the cause of your issues. Once you have the grip over the tip of the shaft, don't mess around with it. You have to move quickly, almost like putting the grip over the butt and sliding it on is one continuous motion. When I first started doing my own, I had the same exact problem you're describing. I tried different solvent, using a tee in the end while installing, not using a tee when sliding it on, etc. It all was because I was being too methodical when sliding it own. Make any alignment adjustments once the grip is all the way on, not as you're sliding it on (although it's better to slide it on as strait as possible to avoid any twisting).

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5° | Tensei Pro Orange 60s

Taylormade BRNR Mini 13.5° | Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.5

Callaway Apex UW 19° | Tour AD TP 7s

Callaway XR Pro 23° | Tour AD DI 95x
Mizuno Pro 225 5-PW | Dynamic Gold 120 S300
Cleveland RTX 6: 50° 56° 60° | KBS Tour Custom 120s Black 

L.A.B. DF 3 Counterbalance 37.5" | TPT Putter Shaft 

Have to go fast with it. I slide that grip on quickly.

This is the key, and almost guarantee this is the cause of your issues. Once you have the grip over the tip of the shaft, don't mess around with it. You have to move quickly, almost like putting the grip over the butt and sliding it on is one continuous motion. When I first started doing my own, I had the same exact problem you're describing. I tried different solvent, using a tee in the end while installing, not using a tee when sliding it on, etc. It all was because I was being too methodical when sliding it own. Make any alignment adjustments once the grip is all the way on, not as you're sliding it on (although it's better to slide it on as strait as possible to avoid any twisting).

This has to be it.

I am using the odorless mineral spirits. I am plugging the hole with my finger and pouring through hole onto tape. Just need to stop messing around and get it on!

This has to be it.

I am using the odorless mineral spirits. I am plugging the hole with my finger and pouring through hole onto tape. Just need to stop messing around and get it on!

Believe me, I wasted my share of grips when first starting. Putting it on in one motion, more or less, was my aha moment. Haven't had an issue since. One other thing to remember... work your hands back toward you as you're sliding it on. Only pushing from the butt end of the grip. This will make it slide on easier and will prevent from getting any stretching of the grip.

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5° | Tensei Pro Orange 60s

Taylormade BRNR Mini 13.5° | Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.5

Callaway Apex UW 19° | Tour AD TP 7s

Callaway XR Pro 23° | Tour AD DI 95x
Mizuno Pro 225 5-PW | Dynamic Gold 120 S300
Cleveland RTX 6: 50° 56° 60° | KBS Tour Custom 120s Black 

L.A.B. DF 3 Counterbalance 37.5" | TPT Putter Shaft 

Even easier is using blue painters tape and compressed air. 50% of grips go on with nothing else but blowing air into the grip hole at the top. The other 50% (usually the tacky rubber grips) need some rubbing alcohol used, just as you would the solvent method. Slides right down quick and easy and dries up pretty quick. The best part is... you want to take that grip off because you don't like it, but maybe you could change your mind again? Air compress that bish right off in about 1 second and save your grip instead of destroying it.

What brand tape are you using?

Woods: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9*, Ventus Blue 6S / TM Stealth Plus+, 15*, MCA Diamana Thump 75S
Hybrid: PXG 0317 X Proto 3H & 4H, Ventus Blue 7S

Irons: Takomo IRON 101, 5-PW, Accra T90i S
Wedges: Cleveland CBX ZipCore  48* Accra T90i S, 53* & 58*, Accra T100i S
Putter: Evnroll ER 1.2, Tour KBS GPS, 33",
 SuperStroke MidSlim 2.0
Ball: Maxfli Tour
Bag/Cart: '20 Nike Air Hybrid 2 / Clicgear 4.0 / Alphard Club Booster V2 / V2 Swivel Kit
Accessories: Arccos 360 / Garmin G80 / Nikon Coolshot Pro Stabilized

supposed to be relatively easy.

keep in mind - you need the correct inside diameter grip size in relation to your shafts, or there's going to be an adjustment required.

build up or stretch.

else, it's simple to tape, wrap, apply solvent and slide the new grip on.

lately I used blue painters tape, because it was already here.

the sticky strips from DSG because you can't beat five bucks a pack off the rack.

solvent from same, in the big spray bottle.

golf tee to plug the little hole on the new grip.

drip pan under the work area.

rubber shaft clamp for the vise.

use good tape and when ready get the entire inside of the grip good and wet, get the sticky part of the tape wet.

slide the grip onto the shaft end by about a half inch, remove the tee, stand to the side a bit, quickly get the grip installed all the way down, turn and adjust for alignment and check the installed length.

why did you move off center? A) leverage. B) that solvent runs out pretty quick and you don't need an eyeful.

now marvel at your success.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

It’s not nearly as complex as some are making out. I’ve used Brampton’s, mineral spirits, and paint thinner and none made a difference with installation. It doesn’t take as much as you think but I’d err on the side of more until you get it down. I don’t even use a Vice anymore just free hand it. If it’s a .58 or .60 core you should have no problem using either on a .58 or .60 shaft. Like someone said get a condiment bottle and squirt some on the tape after you get it on the shaft (be sure to peel the backing off it’s double sided). After you squirt some on the tape squirt some in the grip. Just enough to slosh around inside the grip then pour that on the tape. Pinch the opening of the grip a little and slide it over the shaft pushing the grip all the way down. Take the club and tap the butt a couple times on the ground and line it up how you want.

Even easier is using blue painters tape and compressed air. 50% of grips go on with nothing else but blowing air into the grip hole at the top. The other 50% (usually the tacky rubber grips) need some rubbing alcohol used, just as you would the solvent method. Slides right down quick and easy and dries up pretty quick. The best part is... you want to take that grip off because you don't like it, but maybe you could change your mind again? Air compress that bish right off in about 1 second and save your grip instead of destroying it.

I have an air compressor and vise but I've had mixed results with this method.

What sort of hose tip do you use?

Do you have any trouble with grips going on mis-aligned? I like to use Swing Rite grips and the alignment aid needs to be perfect.

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

First, I've been a convert to using an air compressor for at least the past decade. Adjusting alignment is trivial - just keep enough continuous pressure on the butt end of the grip while blowing air in and your can make minute alignment adjustments. Once the grip is fully on, reduce the pressure (just via the nozzle trigger) so there's just enough flow to keep a full cushion of air under the grip. While that air cushion is there, you can make as very tiny incremental alignment changes. One you have the grip where you want it, release the trigger. Done.

You can do these adjustments any time (even years) after they were first installed. I use a standard brass-tip air nozzle that I got at Harbor Freight. fits perfectly into the grip hole.

However, for solvent installation, all the comments on making sure all surfaces are generously wetted are spot on. Also, once the first inch or so of the grip is on the shaft, it's easier to install with most of the force coming from pushing from the butt end rather than pulling from the open end (you still need to pull a little bit on the open end to guide things, though). Pushing tends to expand the grip diameter making it easier to slide on, pulling makes it want to shrink and make things tighter (sort of like those novelty chinese finger traps.) BTW, this pushing technique also helps for air installation, too.

I’ve got my club in the vise.

I fill the grip with mineral spirits.

Pour it out on the grip tape.

Slide the grip on.

It goes half way, then stops. Won’t budge.

What am I doing wrong?

Make sure to shake the solvent in the grip for a good 10 seconds or longer.

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

For years I used mineral spirits and tape from either Golfsmith or Golfworks and it works fine for the most part. You have to make sure the grip is fully coated inside, plug holes and swish fluid around inside, before dumping out solvent over the grip tape on the shaft. You need something like a painters tray to catch the spill off or it will make a huge mess on the floor (recycle the spill off). When using this technique every so often you will come across a grip or batch of tape that tends to stick a little. It's frustrating for sure but using force will typically get the grip on in those instances. Having your air compressor handy can be a real lifesaver when you get a sticking grip; a quick blast of air in the grip hole will loosen up the grip and allow you to slide it on the rest of the way. More recently I've moved to Bramptons grip solvent and I find it's slicker than using mineral spirits. A few pump shots inside the grip and a few mist pumps over the grip tape is all that's needed. The grip slides on easily and you don't need to deal with catching runoff.

Regarding air, I only use it to help get the grip to slide when the tape grabs too fast. I've found that grips tend to rotate over time when installed using air and masking tape and that bugs the crap out of me so I don't do that. Plus, you still need to apply tape to the shaft so using air doesn't save any time over grip tape and solvent. The only advantage of blowing on grips to me is the ease of removal.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

It's a matter of doing it often enough to know what's needed to be done right.

Also the type of grips plays a major part of how the grips will slide on the shaft. The typical two piece construction ( Winn grip with inner lining and wrap on the outside ) and multi material ( harder material on the top and softer material on the lower hand portion ). are the two types needing extra care and a little practice.

Nothing too difficult, anyone could do it with a little practice.

So I have a couple questions...

I changed the grip on my putter with a superstroke 2.0 a few weeks ago with the compressor, didn’t have to replace the tape. It was still tacky and the grip wouldn’t budge unless I blew more air in the end.

I went to do the same with another putter and the tape rolled up with the grip as I was pulling it off so now I have to replace the tape. I will be changing grips this way moving forward so I want to set myself up for success if this continues to happen or a friend comes over for me to change theirs and this happens again. So my questions are:

What tape do I get?

Do I need to use solvent since I’m using the compressor?

Would a water activated tape work better in this type of installation?

Basically I just need to know specifically what to get in order to set up for success. Thanks in advance for any advice

Most of you would laugh at my method/workstation. I put the shaft and head on my washing machine(towel down), where positioned right next to it is a large rectangular sink, a few inches lower than the washer. I put a large cooking sheet atop the sink edge to catch the m.s., let the grip end hang off the washer, dowse the tape and muscle it on with my hands.

The one thing I do that seems to help is to fill the grip and hold, but before dumping the grip contents onto the tape, put some from the bottle onto the tape and let it sit for a 10sec. Then pour the grip quantity over the tape and slide it on.

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick

I changed the grip on my putter with a superstroke 2.0 a few weeks ago with the compressor, didn't have to replace the tape. It was still tacky and the grip wouldn't budge unless I blew more air in the end.

I went to do the same with another putter and the tape rolled up with the grip as I was pulling it off so now I have to replace the tape. I will be changing grips this way moving forward so I want to set myself up for success if this continues to happen or a friend comes over for me to change theirs and this happens again. So my questions are:

What tape do I get?

Do I need to use solvent since I'm using the compressor?

Basically I just need to know specifically what to get in order to set up for success. Thanks in advance for any advice

When installing the Superstroke putter grip, most the time it'll need to built up the shaft with tape near the tip of the grip. It has a larger opening that's a fixed diameter which won't conform to the taper shape of the shaft.

Using air compressor is great for this project, since you could back out the grip and adjust the tape position and layers if needed.

When using the air compressor to install golf grips, there is no need to use double sided tape with adhesive. All you need is either the regular masking tape or the painter's tape ( 2" or 1 7/8" if you can;t find the 2" , narrow tapes could be used applied with a spiral pattern ). Use the same size of grip to the shaft, 0.60 to 0.60 and 0.58 to 0.59 ( it;s okay to use 0.58 grip on the 0.60 shaft , it'll just feel a bit thicker, but using the 0.60 grips on the 0.58 shaft will need built up with extra layers of tape , in case you did not use the two sided grip tape.

In general, no adhesive grip tape is needed if you install with air compressor. Dip the opening of the grip in either water or a little solvent to help slip on the shaft. Easier to install and stay on without twisting if installed with matching size ( could modify to fit if not the same size, just a little more time needed ).

I changed the grip on my putter with a superstroke 2.0 a few weeks ago with the compressor, didn't have to replace the tape. It was still tacky and the grip wouldn't budge unless I blew more air in the end.

What tape do I get?

Do I need to use solvent since I'm using the compressor?

When installing the Superstroke putter grip, most the time it'll need to built up the shaft with tape near the tip of the grip. It has a larger opening that's a fixed diameter which won't conform to the taper shape of the shaft.

Using air compressor is great for this project, since you could back out the grip and adjust the tape position and layers if needed.

When using the air compressor to install golf grips, there is no need to use double sided tape with adhesive. All you need is either the regular masking tape or the painter's tape ( 2" or 1 7/8" if you can;t find the 2" , narrow tapes could be used applied with a spiral pattern ). Use the same size of grip to the shaft, 0.60 to 0.60 and 0.58 to 0.59 ( it;s okay to use 0.58 grip on the 0.60 shaft , it'll just feel a bit thicker, but using the 0.60 grips on the 0.58 shaft will need built up with extra layers of tape , in case you did not use the two sided grip tape.

In general, no adhesive grip tape is needed if you install with air compressor. Dip the opening of the grip in either water or a little solvent to help slip on the shaft. Easier to install and stay on without twisting if installed with matching size ( could modify to fit if not the same size, just a little more time needed ).

I always do two wraps for superstroke and a little more build up near where the bottom of the grip will sit. I don’t get the air thing unless you like swapping grips out once a week or saving a grip (which can be done with tape) on occasion. I bought a driver shaft that had a blown on grip and it would twist at the butt and drove me crazy. I have never had a problem with tape or using odorless mineral spirits, paint thinner, or Brampton’s. I like knowing when I put a grip on its there to stay but to each their own.

Buy a cheap $2 bottle spray from home depot to put the mineral spirit in. This makes it easy to spray all sides of the tape once you have put the club in the vise and then pour the spirit from inside the grip over the tape too. The bottle sprays make it easy to squirt the spirit into the grip without spilling any too.

Where most go wrong is that by just pouring spirit over the tape once the club is in the vise, little or no spirit gets to the tape on the underside of the shaft and it sticks.

The grip should go on real easy, if it ever seems like it is struggling to go on, always choose to take the grip straight off and start again with more spirit rather than hoping you can force it on.