Practicing in the Winter

kobe123

Which is why I would use my time putting and chipping. Then stretching and stsying in shape if I were in a snow state. I wouldn't evenbother with full shots.

Definitely agree with this. Last winter I would hit up the indoor range maybe every other weekend to get out and hit balls, but the rest of the time I worked on flexibility, strengthening, putting in the living room and drills without hitting balls. It made me focus more at the range to the drills I had been working on and I felt great right from the start. Goal was to get down from 12 to 9 this year, got down to that by end of June and I'm positive it was due to significantly more up&downs.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just buy a net and a piece of turf and crank up the Pandora.

Hitting balls into a net, is boring, plus you have no clue as to where or how far it is going.

Not true. After just a few sessions you can tell by sound and feel how well you struck the shot and if the clubface was square or not.

It's easy to set up some chalk lines for alignment, ball position and contact. It's not meant to replace digging it out of the dirt 9 months out of the year, but to keep sharp during the winter.

There's nothing better than hitting a solid 4 iron or driver. I don't care if its on a real course or into the back of the net. Its all fun. Its even great keeping your chipping sharp.

Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
Bobby: I play because I love it.
Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.

I really don’t get how you could hit a ball into it. That said, biggest value of the case is leveling the unit with the built in adjustable feet.

A rebound from a driver or a shank with a sw

I've done the prior, not the latter

2014 Low 2.9
2015 Low 2.6
2016 Low 2.1
2017 Target 1.4
2018 Target 0.4
2019 Target +15
Current 0.2

Hitting balls into a net, is boring, plus you have no clue as to where or how far it is going.

Not true. After just a few sessions you can tell by sound and feel how well you struck the shot and if the clubface was square or not.

It's easy to set up some chalk lines for alignment, ball position and contact. It's not meant to replace digging it out of the dirt 9 months out of the year, but to keep sharp during the winter.

There's nothing better than hitting a solid 4 iron or driver. I don't care if its on a real course or into the back of the net. Its all fun. Its even great keeping your chipping sharp.

I once spent the winter taking lessons from a PGA pro and hitting into a net. Worked hard and started hitting the ball really solidly. The pro even said how impressed he was with my progress. Turns out all I was doing was grooving a hard hook. When spring came, I was worthless on the course. I literally hit the ball sideways, and it took months to undo what I had practiced. Miserable experience all under the guidance of the PGA.

I once spent the winter taking lessons from a PGA pro and hitting into a net. Worked hard and started hitting the ball really solidly. The pro even said how impressed he was with my progress. Turns out all I was doing was grooving a hard hook. When spring came, I was worthless on the course. I literally hit the ball sideways, and it took months to undo what I had practiced. Miserable experience all under the guidance of the PGA.

Sad commentary though it is also amusing. These indoor facilities will never go out of business.

Which is the exact reason I want a simulator/monitor.

Which is the exact reason I want a simulator/monitor.

Simulators are great. Lots of fun. Can also be great for teaching. I prefer the fun lol

Lol. That's hilarious.

Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
Bobby: I play because I love it.
Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.

I did the same thing one winter in my garage, my swing subconsciously became extremely shallow because I was afraid of catching the ceiling, but just hitting into the net it felt good. Spring came and I was hitting 40 yard hooks with mid irons.

This winter I’m probably going for some sort of device that will give me carry yardages. I don’t have a high enough ceiling for full swings but if I could really dial in 30-40-50-60 yard shots that would be worth it.

I did the same thing one winter in my garage, my swing subconsciously became extremely shallow because I was afraid of catching the ceiling, but just hitting into the net it felt good. Spring came and I was hitting 40 yard hooks with mid irons.

This winter I'm probably going for some sort of device that will give me carry yardages. I don't have a high enough ceiling for full swings but if I could really dial in 30-40-50-60 yard shots that would be worth it.

I'm really just wanting to dial 130 and in. I feel I could really reduce my handicap with this practice. I'm also going to buy 4'x10' birdie ball putting green. I've read a lot of mixed reviews with the driver on the skytrak. Distance doesn't matter with the driver to me as long as I can find a fairway, but distance with irons really matters.

This winter I'm probably going for some sort of device that will give me carry yardages. I don't have a high enough ceiling for full swings but if I could really dial in 30-40-50-60 yard shots that would be worth it.

I'm really just wanting to dial 130 and in. I feel I could really reduce my handicap with this practice. I'm also going to buy 4'x10' birdie ball putting green. I've read a lot of mixed reviews with the driver on the skytrak. Distance doesn't matter with the driver to me as long as I can find a fairway, but distance with irons really matters.

Skytrak has it's pro's and cons. It is an amazing device for the money. There are some valid complaints with higher swing speed players, but there are a lot of complaints from people who believe they hit the ball further/better than they actually do (EG, I hit my 9 iron 155, but skytrak is telling me 143, everything is short 10 yards)

I personally feel you need visual and numbers feedback, especially to dial in wedges from 130 yards. To easy to start hitting pulls, hard draws, change launch angle etc. To much risk in just hitting into a net.

Skytrak has it's pro's and cons. It is an amazing device for the money. There are some valid complaints with higher swing speed players, but there are a lot of complaints from people who believe they hit the ball further/better than they actually do (EG, I hit my 9 iron 155, but skytrak is telling me 143, everything is short 10 yards)

I personally feel you need visual and numbers feedback, especially to dial in wedges from 130 yards. To easy to start hitting pulls, hard draws, change launch angle etc. To much risk in just hitting into a net.

That's the main thing that worries me is my swing speed, I'm around 118-122 with the driver and about 100-102 with 6 iron. I'd really like to test one right next to a trackman/gc2 to see.

Irons certainly won't be a problem. Driver may give you some slightly slower ball numbers. I ready that skytrak was testing a firmware update to rectify this.

GC2 for indoor is still the best investment IMHO. But for wedge play, irons and fun, skytrak can't be beat because of price/features.

There are lots of people who have tested them all, including head to head. Youtube has some great videos about it. Look for Philip Stewart, he does some good reviews. They are very comparable. GC2 is better with short game/putting.

Irons certainly won't be a problem. Driver may give you some slightly slower ball numbers. I ready that skytrak was testing a firmware update to rectify this.

GC2 for indoor is still the best investment IMHO. But for wedge play, irons and fun, skytrak can't be beat because of price/features.

There are lots of people who have tested them all, including head to head. Youtube has some great videos about it. Look for Philip Stewart, he does some good reviews. They are very comparable. GC2 is better with short game/putting.

The real question is, will the software update be free? I'd love to have a GC2 but I don't want to drop 5,000 on one.

The software update will be a firmware update and always included. They have done many releases, including short game, putting and updates to their flight algorithm. No charges for them.

I'm assuming if I buy a CPO it's going to have the most up to date software.

Unless you find a GC2 bundled with the software they usually don't come with any software, not even range. Skytrak includes a basic range with the hardware and it is an extra $100 a year for their full-fledged range with bag mapping features. Skytrak pushes out software updates on a regular basis.

Yeah, just not in my budget. Rather spend 5000+ on other things. AKA: Student Loans

I’m suffering the results of hitting balls off of artificial surfaces over the years. I just can’t do it anymore, it’s grass or nothing. BB

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

I'm pretty sure this is a mental thing with swinging indoors. It was the same for me. It took me a good 3 months to get comfortable enough that I started seeing real numbers that compare to what I would see on the course (tracked with gamegolf). So the first couple months things might seem off, just give it time and you should see things start to normalize gradually.

I'm pretty sure this is a mental thing with swinging indoors. It was the same for me. It took me a good 3 months to get comfortable enough that I started seeing real numbers that compare to what I would see on the course (tracked with gamegolf). So the first couple months things might seem off, just give it time and you should see things start to normalize gradually.

I don't have the problem. There are people who have indoor swing issues and swing a bit more slowly, and there are people who believe they hit the ball further than they do. The complaints about GC2 or skytrak are usually a bit of both.

Granted one of the guys I play with will swear up and down that he hits the ball a certain distance, but that's usually his 1 in 20 shot.