My 8i Swing

KC13

Hey WRX'ers!

Stock 8 iron shot here as I sometimes struggle with an "overdraw". I start messing with my alignment to compensate....bad.

More turn and hold the club off at the bottom? I feel like my impact can be a bit flippy.

Let me know.

- KC

Titleist TSi3 8°

Mizuno ST-Z 230 5w

Ping G430 4hy

Ping i59 4-PW

Ping Glide 4.0 52S/58T

Odyssey Marxman XG 48"

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That’s a good swing, to hit a cut.

Having to hold it off is usually a red flag.

Your arms and hands lift in backswing and drop in downswing.

That’s a recipe fo getting club open and path too right which will need to be flipped to avoid a block.

Either eliminate the drop in transition and turn and move path hard left and hit a cut....or you need to turn more in the backswing and get the hands deeper.

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

That's a good swing, to hit a cut.

Having to hold it off is usually a red flag.

Your arms and hands lift in backswing and drop in downswing.

That's a recipe fo getting club open and path too right which will need to be flipped to avoid a block.

Either eliminate the drop in transition and turn and move path hard left and hit a cut....or you need to turn more in the backswing and get the hands deeper.

Understood. I've struggled with the lift and agree, I need to get deeper in the turn.

I am trying to obtain/work on a more CP release than CF release, and obviously my swing is more CF release currently.

Thanks, Monte.

- KC

Titleist TSi3 8°

Mizuno ST-Z 230 5w

Ping G430 4hy

Ping i59 4-PW

Ping Glide 4.0 52S/58T

Odyssey Marxman XG 48"

You're very bent over at address. Have ever tried a more upright posture? Could help with some of things you're trying to change.

Could definitely require longer length clubs

Interested in thoughts on a more upright swing while trying to obtain CP release.

- KC

Titleist TSi3 8°

Mizuno ST-Z 230 5w

Ping G430 4hy

Ping i59 4-PW

Ping Glide 4.0 52S/58T

Odyssey Marxman XG 48"

You're very bent over at address. Have ever tried a more upright posture? Could help with some of things you're trying to change.

Could definitely require longer length clubs

Interested in thoughts on a more upright swing while trying to obtain CP release.

- KC

Look at the address spine angles of some of your favorite player's swings. I think you'll find most are not as bent over as you are

You seem obsessed with "release", especially since you said it 3 times in 1 sentence. Just follow what Monte gave you.

No really understanding the purpose of this post...? I used "release" 3 time in one sentence to describe an action in the golf swing.

Thanks!

- KC

Titleist TSi3 8°

Mizuno ST-Z 230 5w

Ping G430 4hy

Ping i59 4-PW

Ping Glide 4.0 52S/58T

Odyssey Marxman XG 48"

This is meant as trying to help you become a better golfer and not to be an a-hole.

Eliminate CP and CF from your vocabulary.

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

This is meant as trying to help you become a better golfer and not to be an a-hole.

exactly what Monte said......just focus on being a better player and having a better swing rather than trying to fit a defined pattern, release, etc....Sometimes it's hard to do but you will be better for it.

Driver: Sim2 with Ventus Blue 6x
FWY: Sim 2 Ti w/ TenseiAV Raw Blue 75x
Hybrid: PXG 0317x 17* with Fuji Pro 2.0 85x
Irons: PXG 0211ST w/KBS Tour X
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: New Level Golf SPN Forged M Grind
Putter: Toulon San Diego

exactly what Monte said......just focus on being a better player and having a better swing rather than trying to fit a defined pattern, release, etc....Sometimes it's hard to do but you will be better for it.

I have every intention of being a better player and obtaining a better swing. Maybe my approach was wrong but I think the majority of shot shape is in fact a defined pattern. I'd love to play a cut all day every day rather than an overdraw that runs on forever. Appreciate the feedback from you both. I'll give "turn and path hard left" a run.

- KC

Titleist TSi3 8°

Mizuno ST-Z 230 5w

Ping G430 4hy

Ping i59 4-PW

Ping Glide 4.0 52S/58T

Odyssey Marxman XG 48"

Hips are pretty closed at impact, this happens to me. Maybe not the issue, but almost always the cause of anything left for me. The harder I swing the worse it is.

I would add a little more knee bend to your swing, it will help with the bent over posture and engage the leg muscles better to move through the ball. It's easier to move hips from athletic position vs straight-leg.

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick

Hips are pretty closed at impact, this happens to me. Maybe not the issue, but almost always the cause of anything left for me. The harder I swing the worse it is.

I would add a little more knee bend to your swing, it will help with the bent over posture and engage the leg muscles better to move through the ball. It's easier to move hips from athletic position vs straight-leg.

That makes perfect sense, thank you!

- KC

Titleist TSi3 8°

Mizuno ST-Z 230 5w

Ping G430 4hy

Ping i59 4-PW

Ping Glide 4.0 52S/58T

Odyssey Marxman XG 48"

• 2 weeks later...

Think I figured out the issue; Right arm just before impact is separating from the body causing me to close the club face. Keeping trail arm more connected through impact. In turn, this is also helping me keep my spine angle through impact. Its the little things....arghhh

- KC

Titleist TSi3 8°

Mizuno ST-Z 230 5w

Ping G430 4hy

Ping i59 4-PW

Ping Glide 4.0 52S/58T

Odyssey Marxman XG 48"

Could be a model for you: Brooks Koepka

Check the difference here: his arms are more "out". You are not far away from that.

289627-1540458174.png74ff5b-1540458542.png951409-1540458630.png3ea2a7-1540458736.png

Except the delivery position.

41b1f4-1540458827.png2f66ea-1540458912.png

Appreciate the comparison photos. Great visual for me.

I see what you mean in delivery; BK's shaft is down the line and club head behind the hands. Whereas it appears I am coming way to inside, club head under my right forearm, flip feel at the bottom. I need to keep the hands higher a bit more and turn shoulders a bit more to get to that position, I assume.

Thanks, Golf nerd!

- KC

Titleist TSi3 8°

Mizuno ST-Z 230 5w

Ping G430 4hy

Ping i59 4-PW

Ping Glide 4.0 52S/58T

Odyssey Marxman XG 48"

Check the difference here: his arms are more "out". You are not far away from that.

289627-1540458174.png74ff5b-1540458542.png951409-1540458630.png3ea2a7-1540458736.png

Love this.

Keep in mind, though, that if you change where you are delivering the club from relative to your stance and your intended ball starting line, you will have to change you aiming and sight lines also.

This is much more difficult than many people realize, especially for anyone who has been playing golf for a while.

Meaning: If you are used to delivering the club from well inside and play a draw, then you probably are used to looking/aiming quite a bit to the right of your intended finish target (where the ball will end up once it lands and moves on the ground (if at all).

I see so, so many good players go get lessons, work on swing-related issues that are affecting their ball-striking negatively, fix those issues, and then they don't get better because they can't "take it to the course" in a way that improves their scores. I firmly believe that much of that is due to the significant uncomfortableness that comes from changing our alignment and sight lines on the course in an actual round of golf with actual consequences (score, $$$, tournament finish), versus on the range.

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

By the way, that is a really, really solid move.

It's time for me to do another post of 20 random plus-handicap amateurs. You will be absolutely, flat-out shocked at the wild variety and seemingly awful technical perfection of their swings. Shocked.

Your swing, visually, right now, is good enough to play below scratch golf. Scoring is an altogether different item. I bet you hit as many GIR's as I do, and I be you are every bit as good as I am (or better) off the tee.

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

Love this.

Keep in mind, though, that if you change where you are delivering the club from relative to your stance and your intended ball starting line, you will have to change you aiming and sight lines also.

This is much more difficult than many people realize, especially for anyone who has been playing golf for a while.

Meaning: If you are used to delivering the club from well inside and play a draw, then you probably are used to looking/aiming quite a bit to the right of your intended finish target (where the ball will end up once it lands and moves on the ground (if at all).

I see so, so many good players go get lessons, work on swing-related issues that are affecting their ball-striking negatively, fix those issues, and then they don't get better because they can't "take it to the course" in a way that improves their scores. I firmly believe that much of that is due to the significant uncomfortableness that comes from changing our alignment and sight lines on the course in an actual round of golf with actual consequences (score, $$$, tournament finish), versus on the range.

Agreed. I try to be aware of my "window" I am trying to hit. Sometime on the range when I am playing a straight to target line draw that runs out left forever, I open my stance and work on finishing left. Similar to the "Noren drill". I'd love to play a high fade all day and working towards it.

- KC

Titleist TSi3 8°

Mizuno ST-Z 230 5w

Ping G430 4hy

Ping i59 4-PW

Ping Glide 4.0 52S/58T

Odyssey Marxman XG 48"

Love this.

100% agree with you here. I've been hitting a push draw with my irons for the past year. Been working on tightening up the ball flight, and can have good range sessions but translate none of it to the course.

Ended up putting down a stick every time I played a shot that was longer than a wedge on the course and that helped get me more comfortable with the different alignment. Not the prettiest thing to do out there, but had to be done.

By the way, that is a really, really solid move.

It's time for me to do another post of 20 random plus-handicap amateurs. You will be absolutely, flat-out shocked at the wild variety and seemingly awful technical perfection of their swings. Shocked.

Your swing, visually, right now, is good enough to play below scratch golf. Scoring is an altogether different item. I bet you hit as many GIR's as I do, and I be you are every bit as good as I am (or better) off the tee.

Appreciate it. I have definitely put in hard work this year. Made some swing changes and lowered my index from a high 9 to a high 5 within the past 8 months. (Lowering single digits is amazing-ling hard...)

Hoping to obtain scratch level at some point but that seems at least a year away, if not more.

Fairways is usually not the issue for me, typically 9-11 for 14. HOWEVER, I do struggle with GIRs, typically 6-9 for 18. Not sure if its a club selection issue or mental issue.

Example, my nemesis hole at Tustin Ranch Golf Course, Hole 14 / Par 4 / 395 yards from the tips.

Tee shot: Always a wood playing left to avoid the bunker playing middle/right. Keep in mind, hazard left as well.

Approach shot: Usually 140-155 out and the green is two tier.. 8 iron and the ball fly's the green hitting the top tier or 9 iron and the balls falls short of green.

Maybe this a course management issue and I need to hit a longer club for a better yardage approach or maybe I need to take a look at a gaping issue.

Please note, this is not always the case on this hole but these are the little things that prevent lower scoring.

- KC

Titleist TSi3 8°

Mizuno ST-Z 230 5w

Ping G430 4hy

Ping i59 4-PW

Ping Glide 4.0 52S/58T

Odyssey Marxman XG 48"

I, too, went through the process of changing my original draw (with misses being hooks running hard left, too often OB) to a fade. It's been a plus for my game, no doubt.

I'll give no advice about your swing mechanics (I'm not qualified to do so), but one thing that was mentioned above that I also found true was retraining my eye to the new sight lines and alignment for shots on course.

While you can certainly use an alignment stick, a less obtrusive technique might be to use a tee, leaf, or tuft of grass out 2-3 feet in front of the ball as an alignment aid. Perfect for practice. (And heck, if you don't actually place the leaf or grass tuft there and just use something that is already on the right line, it's even legal for official scoring purposes.)