Yearly Tmnt Schedule for 10 & younger.

This topic has been discussed before as asides on different threads, would like to open up as its own thread. Dont blink - 2018 will be done before you know it, so I am taking an early peak at next years schedule. Personally, I am in the multi-sport while they are young/ specialize later camp. My son is 8 later this month. He plays football, basketball, soccer, and golf....with some tennis, kids triathlons, etc. Golf seems to be his greatest passion overall but I am hyper cautious about not burning him out and encourage him to mix it up and take a break. In 2018 - He played in 3 USKG regionals (all in spring/summer March-July) and Worlds. He also did 1 local tour series in the summer. My plan was to not do any locals, but the schedule for the summer series was quick and convenient - all stacked in June and seemed to offer good prep for Worlds. So this year he played 14 tmnt rounds (6 @ regionals, 3 @ worlds, 5 @ locals). During season, he practices at course 2-3 x/ week. This seemed to have worked well this year - he never seemed like he was sick of golf and kept good interest in progressing and wanting to play.

Lets move ahead to some meaningful discussion and skip the unhelpful "USKG golf is meaningless, expensive, yada yada" commentary. It is expensive, and doesnt mean much in the long term, but our family enjoys the mini-vacations, friendships, better competition, and time together on and around the course for these tmnts. For that, it is worth it for now.

What do you find is a good schedule load for your kid at their age? For parents of older kids, at what age did you began to increase the load and to what effect?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure their is a perfect schedule for a kid at 7/8, but here is what we did or will have done by the end of 2018.

- 25 Local tournaments

- 3 Regionals

- 1 State

- 1 IMG World (3 days of 18 holes)

Honestly, we probably would have done more regionals out of state and USK Worlds if money wasn't an issue.

My son plays other sports such as basketball and soccer on a recreational basis at school, but is good enough to play at the club level if he wanted to. Only thing is that any sport at the club level is very expensive around here and I'd rather spend it on golf. lol

My boy turns 8YO later this year. For his 7YO golf campaign, we are similar to you in rounds. Counting the USKG Fall tour this year, we will end up playing 10xUSKG local and 1x JGANC tournament rounds of golf. We probably average out at practice once/week over the year given that we go some weeks without practice or play. During summer, we probably practiced more in the 2-3x/week range. On top of all of that, we probably played 20-25 practice rounds (9-holes typically) during the year.

I feel like we will be in the heavy multi-sport mindset until he is 13. This year was baseball (spring and fall), swimming, basketball, tennis and golf. If he continues to be passionate about golf as his sport of choice, we'll probably cut down to a couple sports by age 11-12 with the plan to cut down to golf as the specialized sport at 12-13 if he chooses.

It's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun.

I don't know where you are from, but I would check out the state chapter of the USGA and PGA of America to see if they do any junior golf events. Other than that, I would just keep doing what you are doing. Once he gets to 11 you need to be doing more 36 hole events and move away from US Kids local if you can.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

I'm not sure their is a perfect schedule for a kid at 7/8, but here is what we did or will have done by the end of 2018.

- 25 Local tournaments

- 3 Regionals

- 1 State

Honestly, we probably would have done more regionals out of state and USK Worlds if money wasn't an issue.

My son plays other sports such as basketball and soccer on a recreational basis at school, but is good enough to play at the club level if he wanted to. Only thing is that any sport at the club level is very expensive around here and I'd rather spend it on golf. lol

I hear ya...different kids have different capacity for sure. We've also been asked to play club level soccer but time and money...just not ready for 4 day/week practice, and an $800 uniform package....and really it is a whole lifestyle change. We have a younger daughter coming up getting started in sports so need to save time for her. Haha.

So serious question, we all know that Ben is a great player - why do so many locals? It sounds like you have a good competitive group in your area, maybe that is why. We dont really - usually there is 3 -4 kids in the age group and maybe 1, sometimes 2 that can compete. Aside from trying to chase Status (what a rat race, ugh) I am trying to minimize the local tours....maybe open the door for some other kids to move onto the bigger tmnts. I guess if we had a consistent group of 10 kids showing up at locals it would be different.

I don't know where you are from, but I would check out the state chapter of the USGA and PGA of America to see if they do any junior golf events. Other than that, I would just keep doing what you are doing. Once he gets to 11 you need to be doing more 36 hole events and move away from US Kids local if you can.

Charleston, SC. Great place but surprisingly few Junior Golf Tmnt opportunities. Yes, def trying to minimize local tmnts. My early thoughts for 2019 are 3 or so Regionals and then Worlds. Maybe even skip a regional or two and sub it with a weekend dad-son golf getaway to somewhere cool. We went to Pinehurst last year for a non-tmnt weekend and played Mid Pines, Pine Needles, & the Cradle together - no pressure , just chill, golf, pool, and fun. Great Memories.

Charleston, SC. Great place but surprisingly few Junior Golf Tmnt opportunities. Yes, def trying to minimize local tmnts. My early thoughts for 2019 are 3 or so Regionals and then Worlds. Maybe even skip a regional or two and sub it with a weekend dad-son golf getaway to somewhere cool.

They host events for 10 year olds. Even have a 7-9 year old girl division.

https://scjga.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/scjga18/schedule/index.htm

- 25 Local tournaments

- 3 Regionals

- 1 State

So serious question, we all know that Ben is a great player - why do so many locals? It sounds like you have a good competitive group in your area, maybe that is why. We dont really - usually there is 3 -4 kids in the age group and maybe 1, sometimes 2 that can compete. Aside from trying to chase Status (what a rat race, ugh) I am trying to minimize the local tours....maybe open the door for some other kids to move onto the bigger tmnts. I guess if we had a consistent group of 10 kids showing up at locals it would be different.

Valid question and everyone asks me the same thing. Honestly, I don't have a good answer, but for the fall session which we are playing right now- the main goal in playing is to win the tour championship so we can partake in the western cup in Vegas in January. Amazingly, a lot of the local tournaments recently have had over 10 kids playing. This weekend, there are 15 signed up. Only 2 of the kids are real competition though. I believe we have status for worlds through a Regional win so status shouldn't be an issue.

Been saying it forever, but we need to get going on the SCPGA stuff asap in place of locals.

Charleston, SC. Great place but surprisingly few Junior Golf Tmnt opportunities. Yes, def trying to minimize local tmnts. My early thoughts for 2019 are 3 or so Regionals and then Worlds. Maybe even skip a regional or two and sub it with a weekend dad-son golf getaway to somewhere cool.

They host events for 10 year olds. Even have a 7-9 year old girl division.

https://scjga.bluego...edule/index.htm

Thanks of the link. Well aware and I keep an eye on the SCJGA regularly, but over last year the local chapter events in charleston for 7-9 boys division has averaged about 1 player...literally! Of 7 Chapter Events , only 1 event had 2 players. The others either had 0 or 1 and that kids average score was around 57. There is a pretty popular multi-day event in Columbia for the younger kids, but once you factor in a Membership fee on top of the tournament fee its aboutt he same cost per round as doing a USKG regional. For some reason, SCJGA is much more active in the upstate than it is in the lowcountry. There are more options once they get 11+ , but younger than that is pretty limited.

Charleston, SC. Great place but surprisingly few Junior Golf Tmnt opportunities. Yes, def trying to minimize local tmnts. My early thoughts for 2019 are 3 or so Regionals and then Worlds. Maybe even skip a regional or two and sub it with a weekend dad-son golf getaway to somewhere cool. We went to Pinehurst last year for a non-tmnt weekend and played Mid Pines, Pine Needles, & the Cradle together - no pressure , just chill, golf, pool, and fun. Great Memories.

I might be heading that way in a few weeks to attend a tournament at Kiawah.

- 25 Local tournaments

- 3 Regionals

- 1 State

Valid question and everyone asks me the same thing. Honestly, I don't have a good answer, but for the fall session which we are playing right now- the main goal in playing is to win the tour championship so we can partake in the western cup in Vegas in January. Amazingly, a lot of the local tournaments recently have had over 10 kids playing. This weekend, there are 15 signed up. Only 2 of the kids are real competition though. I believe we have status for worlds through a Regional win so status shouldn't be an issue.

Been saying it forever, but we need to get going on the SCPGA stuff asap in place of locals.

SCPGA is a must... 7 of the 30 players at the Tour Championship at East Lake played on the SCPGA.

I hear ya. Maybe I'm the one holding my son back since I actually enjoy caddying. lol

Guess I can just wait for him in the club house and have a few beers.

- 25 Local tournaments

- 3 Regionals

- 1 State

SCPGA is a must... 7 of the 30 players at the Tour Championship at East Lake played on the SCPGA.

I hear ya. Maybe I'm the one holding my son back since I actually enjoy caddying. lol

Guess I can just wait for him in the club house and have a few beers.

That's right, SCPGA doesn't allow parents at the events at all, do they? You guys in California are too serious about your golf. Must've had too many parents brawling in the parking lot after tournaments.

That's right, SCPGA doesn't allow parents at the events at all, do they? You guys in California are too serious about your golf. Must've had too many parents brawling in the parking lot after tournaments.

It's about 70% of the courses that allow parents to spectate on the golf course. Only talking with the child should be about whether or not they need food / drink or if they are hurt. At the other 30% where they don't allow spectators, the CRAZY parents try watching from outside the fences while the normal parents enjoy a beer. Pace of play is faster without parent caddies and amazingly, the kids actually talk about things that are important to them among themselves.

*Spectating means you stay 25 yards or more away at all times and on the cart path. No walking with your child.

Used to live In California and lot courses there are pretty pricey I was wondering is it the high end courses there that keep out the parents.

My daughter turned 8. I live in an area where if you want you can almost play golf each weekend. She plays two different locals (one close to my dad) and another STPGA as well for longer yardages where she plays in a 10 year old division. She played in about 20-25 local one regional and us kids worlds. I love the idea of regionals wish they have the tour championship a two day event but I digress. But I can't justify getting on a plane that often for a 8 year old playing golf as much as she loves it. Worlds we will do each year she wants to, but regionals yeah I doubt we ever do many due to cost.

We practice anywhere from 2-4 times a week depending on our schedules, has a lesson about once a month to every other month. I feel she getting too tired of golf she gets put on a break from golf. But then I find her putting in the house because I won't take her.

She plays other sports softball, basketball trying to get her to play volleyball as well. But if you ask her she says I love golf, golf is my passion and its very special to me.

My daughter turned 8. I live in an area where if you want you can almost play golf each weekend. She plays two different locals (one close to my dad) and another STPGA as well for longer yardages where she plays in a 10 year old division. She played in about 20-25 local one regional and us kids worlds. I love the idea of regionals wish they have the tour championship a two day event but I digress. But I can't justify getting on a plane that often for a 8 year old playing golf as much as she loves it. Worlds we will do each year she wants to, but regionals yeah I doubt we ever do many due to cost.

We practice anywhere from 2-4 times a week depending on our schedules, has a lesson about once a month to every other month. I feel she getting too tired of golf she gets put on a break from golf. But then I find her putting in the house because I won't take her.

She plays other sports softball, basketball trying to get her to play volleyball as well. But if you ask her she says I love golf, golf is my passion and its very special to me.

We're furtunate to have several regionals within driving distance - Jekyll Island, Williamsburg, Red White Blue, Holiday Classic, Copperhead Classic. Certainly having to go by plane would make it unfeasible.

It's about 70% of the courses that allow parents to spectate on the golf course. Only talking with the child should be about whether or not they need food / drink or if they are hurt. At the other 30% where they don't allow spectators, the CRAZY parents try watching from outside the fences while the normal parents enjoy a beer. Pace of play is faster without parent caddies and amazingly, the kids actually talk about things that are important to them among themselves.

*Spectating means you stay 25 yards or more away at all times and on the cart path. No walking with your child.

That is how it is here, but 50 yards away from the kids. How some parents spectate bugs me. You should always try to walk ahead of the group.

How to Properly Observe a Group (Where you should stand & walk)

• Follow your players from a distance (at least 25 yards). Stay ahead of the group and in the rough or on the cart paths. Do not lag behind the participants as this often delays the group behind.
  • The FSGA encourages spectators to stay ahead of players to help spot golf balls.
  • You should NOT be in the fairway.
  • Stay to the side of the action and remain still and quiet while all players play.
  • Move forward to the putting green when all shots have been completed.
  • Putting Green - Spectators must never be on the putting surface and should observe the putting green from a reasonable distance that will not interfere with the players
  • Looking for Balls - Please help spot balls for all players. Spectators are encouraged to watch each player's shot closely and may assist searching for a lost ball during the five-minute search period.

We're furtunate to have several regionals within driving distance - Jekyll Island, Williamsburg, Red White Blue, Holiday Classic, Copperhead Classic. Certainly having to go by plane would make it unfeasible.

The Holiday Classic at PGA National is great. The Junior Honda is also great at the same facility. https://imgjgt.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/imgjgt18/event/imgjgt1812/index.htm

My son is more average at his development right now compared to many of yours but here is his for this calendar year. He is 8 years old and has been playing just over a year:

6 Spring USKids Local Rounds

4 Summer US Kids Local Rounds

8 PGA Junior League Rounds

5 Fall USKids Local Rounds

1 Junior Club Championship Round

He got a little blah towards the end of the summer so we curtailed his local rounds to give him a break. He was close to hitting the scoring requirement but has since gone a bit backwards so he is taking things a bit easy for awhile.

The Holiday Classic at PGA National is great. The Junior Honda is also great at the same facility. https://imgjgt.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/imgjgt18/event/imgjgt1812/index.htm

We did Holiday Classic last year, it was great. Its tough the week before christmas though, we'll see about this year. I wish my kids had off school though and we could do a double header with the Publix Doral Junior Tmnt and then the Holiday Classic. Looks like a lot of locals compete in both.

We did Holiday Classic last year, it was great. Its tough the week before christmas though, we'll see about this year. I wish my kids had off school though and we could do a double header with the Publix Doral Junior Tmnt and then the Holiday Classic. Looks like a lot of locals compete in both.

Publix Doral is right in the middle of exam week for us. Kind of makes it a non option. Between the timing and pricing, a lot of kids have started to play in the Honda event. $500 for the Publix/Doral is just to steep for my wallet. I believe a couple of WRX members are opting for the Honda this year over the Holiday. I was texting with one of them last night.

We had a Texas event but Drama with the course us kids killed it for this year.

I’m Looking at doing one regional next year I’m not sure which one at this point

We had a Texas event but Drama with the course us kids killed it for this year.

I’m Looking at doing one regional next year I’m not sure which one at this point

Palm springs open is fun. Everyone stays at the Westin and hits up the pools after their rounds. It's usually 100+ but a dry heat.

I can't hear dry heat with out thinking of Jeff Dunham and Walter.

Publix Doral is right in the middle of exam week for us. Kind of makes it a non option. Between the timing and pricing, a lot of kids have started to play in the Honda event. $500 for the Publix/Doral is just to steep for my wallet. I believe a couple of WRX members are opting for the Honda this year over the Holiday. I was texting with one of them last night.

I’ve heard good about the Honda also, but it’s only a 9 hole one day deal until age 10. That’s a long drive from SC for 9 holes. Will keep an eye on it in a few years.

This topic has been discussed before as asides on different threads, would like to open up as its own thread. Dont blink - 2018 will be done before you know it, so I am taking an early peak at next years schedule. Personally, I am in the multi-sport while they are young/ specialize later camp. My son is 8 later this month. He plays football, basketball, soccer, and golf....with some tennis, kids triathlons, etc. Golf seems to be his greatest passion overall but I am hyper cautious about not burning him out and encourage him to mix it up and take a break. In 2018 - He played in 3 USKG regionals (all in spring/summer March-July) and Worlds. He also did 1 local tour series in the summer. My plan was to not do any locals, but the schedule for the summer series was quick and convenient - all stacked in June and seemed to offer good prep for Worlds. So this year he played 14 tmnt rounds (6 @ regionals, 3 @ worlds, 5 @ locals). During season, he practices at course 2-3 x/ week. This seemed to have worked well this year - he never seemed like he was sick of golf and kept good interest in progressing and wanting to play.

Lets move ahead to some meaningful discussion and skip the unhelpful "USKG golf is meaningless, expensive, yada yada" commentary. It is expensive, and doesnt mean much in the long term, but our family enjoys the mini-vacations, friendships, better competition, and time together on and around the course for these tmnts. For that, it is worth it for now.

What do you find is a good schedule load for your kid at their age? For parents of older kids, at what age did you began to increase the load and to what effect?

My 10 year old played 6 USKG Local, 1 Regional, 1 State Invitational and Worlds. Additionally, in Mississipi, we have a MS golf Association junior tour. Played 7 of those, Future Masters, and played one independent event in Georgia.

My kid is probably the best 10 year old in MS, but when he goes to Worlds, for example, he finds out where he really stands (finished 60th this year). His coach says that his tournaments should be broken down into 25% where he dominates (USKG Local), 25% where he gets his butt kicked (regionals, Worlds, independent events, Future Masters) and 50% where he competes to win (MJGA).

In hindsight, I probably would have cut out a little. We played a lot of golf.

That is how it is here, but 50 yards away from the kids. How some parents spectate bugs me. You should always try to walk ahead of the group.

• Follow your players from a distance (at least 25 yards). Stay ahead of the group and in the rough or on the cart paths. Do not lag behind the participants as this often delays the group behind.
  • The FSGA encourages spectators to stay ahead of players to help spot golf balls.
  • Stay to the side of the action and remain still and quiet while all players play.
  • Putting Green - Spectators must never be on the putting surface and should observe the putting green from a reasonable distance that will not interfere with the players
  • Looking for Balls - Please help spot balls for all players. Spectators are encouraged to watch each player's shot closely and may assist searching for a lost ball during the five-minute search period.

Could be different in other organization, but spectators are not allowed to go ahead of the group per US Kids policy. Otherwise I would have the whole family spread out 200 yards in the front to keep an eye out for my sons ball. :search:

Spectator Policy: If spectator carts are permitted, the above Cart Policy must be followed. Cell phones, headphones, pagers, and the like may not be used during play. All walking spectators should stay on or near the cart path at all times. Spectators are not allowed on the greens or in the fairway. Please stay behind the group being followed and do not go ahead to spot shots in advance of play. First offense: warning, Second offense: removal from the golf course.

Could be different in other organization, but spectators are not allowed to go ahead of the group per US Kids policy. Otherwise I would have the whole family spread out 200 yards in the front to keep an eye out for my sons ball. :search:

Spectator Policy: If spectator carts are permitted, the above Cart Policy must be followed. Cell phones, headphones, pagers, and the like may not be used during play. All walking spectators should stay on or near the cart path at all times. Spectators are not allowed on the greens or in the fairway. Please stay behind the group being followed and do not go ahead to spot shots in advance of play. First offense: warning, Second offense: removal from the golf course.

US Kids does some odd things and this is one of them.

This is the AJGA rules. Look at #8. Close to what I posted previously.

I think US Kids may do it because of the number of people that rent carts. A lot of the cart renters are casual observers of golf and don't understand the etiquette to use with them. I can see them riding up on groups ahead of them and not being considerate of their play. As you move away from US Kids you will see less parents and observers renting carts.

Parents Code of Conduct

"In golf, customs of etiquette and decorum are just as important as rules governing play." It is appropriate for parents and spectators to applaud successful strokes, but in order to secure the spirit of the game, we ask parents and spectators to please adhere to the following guidelines: (Please note that if any of the following guidelines are perceived as broken by an AJGA official, the player may be subject to penalty.)

1. Advice (Rule 8) is any counsel or suggestion which could influence a player in determining his play, the choice of a club or the method of making a stroke. In addition, any conversation between player/spectator may be construed as advice. This includes any conversation between player/spectator in their native language. In either instance, penalty for breach of this rule is two strokes. Players are responsible for the actions of their relatives and spectators in regards to this rule.

2. Keeping the above statement in mind, please keep your conversation with the player to words of encouragement as long as advice is not given.

3. Spectators attend AJGA events at their own risk.

4. Please turn off all cell phones at AJGA events.

5. The AJGA does not allow spectator carts except if the spectator has a permanent handicap placard. Handicap spectators must present their placard to the Tournament Director prior to getting a golf cart. Spectators will not receive a cart unless they have this official placard. Letters from doctors or visible injuries will not warrant a golf cart without a placard.

6. All players and spectators are not permitted to ride on the back of a golf cart at any time during AJGA competitions.

7. Spectators should stay on cart paths. In the absence of cart paths, we ask that spectators stay in the rough. Please stay off fairways, tees and greens.

8. Spectators should stay one shot ahead of the group they are following. This allows spectators to follow errant shots and help identify where the ball comes to rest. Spectators are allowed to aid in the search for lost golf balls.

9. Spectators should not give rulings. Please seek an AJGA rules official if the need arises.

10. Spectators are allowed to carry medicine, drinks, food, umbrellas, etc.

11. The AJGA staff may assess a penalty to the player based on the severity of the spectator violation. If a serious breach has occurred, the spectator may be asked to leave the facility or the spectator may not be permitted to attend another AJGA event.

12. For your personal safety, we ask you exercise caution at all times. When inclement weather moves into the area, the AJGA will suspend play by sounding airhorns. Accordingly, you should seek shelter immediately. The AJGA staff will evacuate players from the course first and then spectators.

The AJGA staff will further discuss the spectator guidelines at each tournament's parents meeting.

Holiday Classic (12/21/2018) or Copperhead Classic (1/19/2018)?

We did Holiday Classic last year. Enjoyed it very much, but the travel just before Christmas was taxing. Thinking about trying Copperhead classic this year instead, a few weeks later. Anyone done both and can compare?

We haven’t done the Holiday Classic, but did the Copperhead a couple of years ago. They didn’t have any social events the evening before the tourney like other regionals. Which was ok for us. My then 7yo thought it was cool to play where the PGA plays (7 yo age group doesn’t play the same course, but he didn’t know that).

My kid played this past Sunday at David L. Baker SCPGA Junior event. As I left to run some errands, I saw some parents walking around the fence over by the street to spectate since parents weren't allowed to follow on the course.

Was at another one before that where I saw volunteers repeatedly remind parents they have to stay away from players and cannot coach their kid.

What's up with us Californians. Lol