Tiger Woods: "No Timetable for my Return to Golf..."

tigers9iron

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you need to re-read many of my posts. Some / much of what I highlighted wasn’t “obvious” to most, in fact a few key points were quickly mocked by many as being delusional or me being a hater/troll simply for stating something that was self evident, just not to those with closed minds. The funny part was later on in the year many in golfing media spoke out about some of the very issues I highlighted at the start of the year.

Ps: My trip to Paris was incredible (highly recommend it), even Tiger going 0-4 and the US team being handily beaten by the Euros couldn’t sour a great trip overall. Great friends, great golf, great wine… what’s not to like ;)

We are in agreement!

But now that he has dispelled all of them...

How many wins for TW this year, super fan?

I'm thinkin like 3 would be money.

You failed to highlight/bold the key distinction in my original comment “just not to those with closed minds”… and that was many of you chaps.

I’m just hoping Tiger can win again (any event) next year - if he can get an early win that could lead to others… but just one win would be a good start.

How was France ? Not a fan. I had to get two large fries at McDonald's in France to be the equivalent of one here in the states.

It was one of the best trips I've ever made… but why would anyone go to McDonald's when on holiday in France?

Honestly french food kind of suck. Nothing but preset menu and the Michelin star restaurants always disappoints. After spending a week there I was craving for burgers and fries.

I just remember my large coke was like smaller than the size small here in the states. Until I get an invite to Morfontaine I'd probably never go back.

I would agree typical French food is certainly different than typical US food, and people tend to crave what they normally eat… but for me burger and fries aren’t what I normally eat or crave. I just eat at quality restaurants overseas that serve the food I like. Personally I can't wait to go back as there's so much to see and do.

Cool Runnings, a simple "I was wrong" would suffice.

All of the doubts that you repeatedly made clear (depth of field, level of talent, etc.) are WELL documented.

You simply underestimated Tiger Woods. You underestimated the fact that he is an inherently better golfer than perhaps anyone to ever live.

The ONLY concern that has any real merit is the health concern. I acknowledged that all along. But, if he stays healthy, he will rise to #1 again. He's still young enough and swinging well enough and fast enough to do that.

The depth of the field and this "greater talent" level obviously doesn't matter when he plays well. Tiger will be better next year, with more practice time under his belt, and he will continue to win.

I think a little re-cap is needed… My main concerns (that I repeatedly stated and stand by even now if he’s to win again) are Tiger mentally, Tiger physically, The level / depth of competition, Tiger no longer having the edge over his competition (mentally, physically, preparation, distance), Tiger’s age.

All of these key points I’ve gone into many times and in some detail when we’ve observed them holding him back from pushing on and winning. They all still apply to Tiger going forward if he’s to win again, especially the events he/everyone wants to win most… the Majors.

Tiger’s win at this years finally event (Tour Champs) was awesome, great for him, great for us fans and the game in general. This was a needed and timely win that validated what has been a tough tough journey for him mentally & physically. As I’ve explained above I was too busy celebrating his win in Paris with fellow friends some who are fellow Tiger fans, REAL honest & open Tiger fans that like me can call things objectively straight down the middle.

Your concerns have some potential validity: Tiger is older, there are a lot of good players out there today, etc. (the mental and pressure things I don't agree with)---But, what we've observed, is that he WON vs. 29 of the best players in the world.

So you would think at some point you might say, hmmm...maybe Tiger has more left in the tank than I thought. Maybe he can deal with the pressure. Maybe the other guys aren't unbeatable. No, instead, you just dig in deeper with the same broad generalizations.

The key component that you seem to ignore is that Tiger basically sat out 2016 and 2017. And he's also made major changes to his swing.

These are immediate and specific challenges to overcome. You don't just roll out of bed (literally) after a spinal fusion and have your best Tournament golf ready to go. Not winning until the end of the season can be explained by these (finding his swing and short game after a LONG layoff, new swing feels, swinging post Spinal fusion) challenges, and not the ones you repeat.

So, if he's able to continue to be healthy and progress as he has all season, his trend is clearly pointed upward. He won't have to overcome rust next season. His new swing will be more solidified. He will have practice hours under his belt that he didn't this season. He will go in great form to The Master's, not in the uncertain form he had this year.

I’ve always stated a fit & healthy Tiger would likely compete and ‘could’ potentially win IF i.e. on the right course, against the right field, and particularly IF he could mentally overcome the many doubts and uncertainties he was experiencing playing today, especially as today’s fields are deeper more talented than ever. *(and these ‘IFs’ were many & varied internally & externally that I’ve consistently outlined with justified caution and reference).

What we saw from Tiger over almost the entire season were many of these mental issues continually play out despite some great golf being played (even gatorMD admitted to TW still having ”some mental issues” in the last event)… thankfully at the very last event things aligned for him and he deservedly got that much needed win. Was this win the exception or the rule going forward?… we’ll have to eagerly wait for the 2019 season to find out for sure. Like I said, if he can get an early win next year (but even this early win is still dependent on the many ‘IFs’ falling into place that I’ve outlined) then it could be a multiple win year.

I think you need to re-read many of my posts. Some / much of what I highlighted wasn't "obvious" to most, in fact a few key points were quickly mocked by many as being delusional or me being a hater/troll simply for stating something that was self evident, just not to those with closed minds. The funny part was later on in the year many in golfing media spoke out about some of the very issues I highlighted at the start of the year.

Ps: My trip to Paris was incredible (highly recommend it), even Tiger going 0-4 and the US team being handily beaten by the Euros couldn't sour a great trip overall. Great friends, great golf, great wine… what's not to like ;)

We are in agreement!

Yes ! I'll agree with 3. 1 being a major. I'm not ready to guess which major yet. But I see him attacking jacks record next if he stays heathy. The way he played this year is going to be the norm next year. Greg Norman hopes that it doesn't shift to " all tiger " again. But that shows how far behind the times Greg is. It already has shifted to All tiger again !

bladehunter

“I’ll agree with 3. 1 being a major… But I see him attacking jacks record next if he stays heathy.”

Serious question… if Tiger doesn’t win a major next year does than automatically qualify him as playing unhealthy?

I think you need to re-read many of my posts. Some / much of what I highlighted wasn't "obvious" to most, in fact a few key points were quickly mocked by many as being delusional or me being a hater/troll simply for stating something that was self evident, just not to those with closed minds. The funny part was later on in the year many in golfing media spoke out about some of the very issues I highlighted at the start of the year.

Ps: My trip to Paris was incredible (highly recommend it), even Tiger going 0-4 and the US team being handily beaten by the Euros couldn't sour a great trip overall. Great friends, great golf, great wine… what's not to like ;)

We are in agreement!

Yes ! I'll agree with 3. 1 being a major. I'm not ready to guess which major yet. But I see him attacking jacks record next if he stays heathy. The way he played this year is going to be the norm next year. Greg Norman hopes that it doesn't shift to " all tiger " again. But that shows how far behind the times Greg is. It already has shifted to All tiger again !

bladehunter

“I’ll agree with 3. 1 being a major… But I see him attacking jacks record next if he stays heathy.”

Serious question… if Tiger doesn’t win a major next year does than automatically qualify him as playing unhealthy?

no. not at all ... But doesnt mean hes automatically healthy either.

He of course may not win anyting. I dont have a crystal ball. BUT i truly believe that IF he remains healthy he cant help but win . Just continuing on the track he set this year will get him inside the top 10 in the world . Surely a top 10-15 player isnt in true question of whether or not he can win. That being agreed on , the next logical step is winning a major. And its not a wide jump to say that . Afterall , the tour championship was a pretty large stage. Not like winning the safeway or something ..

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

How was France ? Not a fan. I had to get two large fries at McDonald's in France to be the equivalent of one here in the states.

It was one of the best trips I've ever made… but why would anyone go to McDonald's when on holiday in France?

Honestly french food kind of suck. Nothing but preset menu and the Michelin star restaurants always disappoints. After spending a week there I was craving for burgers and fries.

I just remember my large coke was like smaller than the size small here in the states. Until I get an invite to Morfontaine I'd probably never go back.

I would agree typical French food is certainly different than typical US food, and people tend to crave what they normally eat… but for me burger and fries aren’t what I normally eat or crave. I just eat at quality restaurants overseas that serve the food I like. Personally I can't wait to go back as there's so much to see and do.

Living in the same part of the world I have been spending a lot of time in France, the country supposed to be the Gastronomic heaven. But still, after spending like half a year there in total I have never eaten anything in restaurants as tasty as the top-5 meals I have had in my 3 weeks in Italy. OK, I havent visited any Guide Michelin restaurants in France but neither in Italy. Moules frites in Normandie is about as good as I have experienced.

(As for my only two week in the US, Boston, back in the 80's, I've never eaten better.)

For those who think playing TW is no longer intimidating or a big deal for the young uns ; ) Cool of Rahm to share this...

https://www.golf.com...onal-ryder-cup/

“I played the first 16, 17 holes without looking at him,” he said. “I realized that if I don’t look at him, if I pretend I’m playing alone, it’s just me, then it would be easier to deal with.”

“He was coming towards me with a smile still. I mean, I started crying. I got emotional, tears started coming out of my eyes.” Rahm got choked up as Woods approached him, and again as he spoke about the round in an interview afterwards. The moment resonated with him so much that Rahm found Woods later at the closing ceremonies, just to tell him what an honor the match had been.

“It meant an incredible moment then and it still does,” he concluded. “It’s going to be tough to beat that moment in my life.”

All of the doubts that you repeatedly made clear (depth of field, level of talent, etc.) are WELL documented.

You simply underestimated Tiger Woods. You underestimated the fact that he is an inherently better golfer than perhaps anyone to ever live.

The ONLY concern that has any real merit is the health concern. I acknowledged that all along. But, if he stays healthy, he will rise to #1 again. He's still young enough and swinging well enough and fast enough to do that.

The depth of the field and this "greater talent" level obviously doesn't matter when he plays well. Tiger will be better next year, with more practice time under his belt, and he will continue to win.

I think a little re-cap is needed… My main concerns (that I repeatedly stated and stand by even now if he’s to win again) are Tiger mentally, Tiger physically, The level / depth of competition, Tiger no longer having the edge over his competition (mentally, physically, preparation, distance), Tiger’s age.

All of these key points I’ve gone into many times and in some detail when we’ve observed them holding him back from pushing on and winning. They all still apply to Tiger going forward if he’s to win again, especially the events he/everyone wants to win most… the Majors.

Tiger’s win at this years finally event (Tour Champs) was awesome, great for him, great for us fans and the game in general. This was a needed and timely win that validated what has been a tough tough journey for him mentally & physically. As I’ve explained above I was too busy celebrating his win in Paris with fellow friends some who are fellow Tiger fans, REAL honest & open Tiger fans that like me can call things objectively straight down the middle.

Your concerns have some potential validity: Tiger is older, there are a lot of good players out there today, etc. (the mental and pressure things I don't agree with)---But, what we've observed, is that he WON vs. 29 of the best players in the world.

So you would think at some point you might say, hmmm...maybe Tiger has more left in the tank than I thought. Maybe he can deal with the pressure. Maybe the other guys aren't unbeatable. No, instead, you just dig in deeper with the same broad generalizations.

The key component that you seem to ignore is that Tiger basically sat out 2016 and 2017. And he's also made major changes to his swing.

These are immediate and specific challenges to overcome. You don't just roll out of bed (literally) after a spinal fusion and have your best Tournament golf ready to go. Not winning until the end of the season can be explained by these (finding his swing and short game after a LONG layoff, new swing feels, swinging post Spinal fusion) challenges, and not the ones you repeat.

So, if he's able to continue to be healthy and progress as he has all season, his trend is clearly pointed upward. He won't have to overcome rust next season. His new swing will be more solidified. He will have practice hours under his belt that he didn't this season. He will go in great form to The Master's, not in the uncertain form he had this year.

I’ve always stated a fit & healthy Tiger would likely compete and ‘could’ potentially win IF i.e. on the right course, against the right field, and particularly IF he could mentally overcome the many doubts and uncertainties he was experiencing playing today, especially as today’s fields are deeper more talented than ever. *(and these ‘IFs’ were many & varied internally & externally that I’ve consistently outlined with justified caution and reference).

What we saw from Tiger over almost the entire season were many of these mental issues continually play out despite some great golf being played (even gatorMD admitted to TW still having ”some mental issues” in the last event)… thankfully at the very last event things aligned for him and he deservedly got that much needed win. Was this win the exception or the rule going forward?… we’ll have to eagerly wait for the 2019 season to find out for sure. Like I said, if he can get an early win next year (but even this early win is still dependent on the many ‘IFs’ falling into place that I’ve outlined) then it could be a multiple win year.

"Winning takes care of everything", it brings confidence, not the other way around.

For those who think playing TW is no longer intimidating or a big deal for the young uns ; ) Cool of Rahm to share this...

“I played the first 16, 17 holes without looking at him,” he said. “I realized that if I don’t look at him, if I pretend I’m playing alone, it’s just me, then it would be easier to deal with.”

“He was coming towards me with a smile still. I mean, I started crying. I got emotional, tears started coming out of my eyes.” Rahm got choked up as Woods approached him, and again as he spoke about the round in an interview afterwards. The moment resonated with him so much that Rahm found Woods later at the closing ceremonies, just to tell him what an honor the match had been.

“It meant an incredible moment then and it still does,” he concluded. “It’s going to be tough to beat that moment in my life.”

There is a huge difference between idolising/admiring a player and fearing a player… many of today’s younger players like Rahm clearly idolises/admires TW, but as we saw that had zero impact on “intimidating” him, his play and result.. In fact it likely inspired him with pressure at its greatest to take Tiger’s scalp as some kind of trophy - which lets be honest, he did in emphatic style.

Nice to hear the admiration he still has for Tiger, although I wish these talented young guns would fear him like many use to do, this way Tiger might have an edge over them.

"Winning takes care of everything", it brings confidence, not the other way around.

Agree as a general principle… but even winning has its limits. Watching Tiger go 0-4 at the Ryder Cup was proof of these limits.

There is a huge difference between idolising/admiring a player and fearing a player… many of today’s younger players like Rahm clearly idolises/admires TW, but as we saw that had zero impact on “intimidating” him, his play and result.. In fact it likely inspired him with pressure at its greatest to take Tiger’s scalp as some kind of trophy - which lets be honest, he did in emphatic style.

Nice to hear the admiration he still has for Tiger, although I wish these talented young guns would fear him like many use to do, this way Tiger might have an edge over them.

Lol, cool, with the obvious response. However,

Rahm's recounting of his experience stands on it's own and I admire his candor on his feelings.

It doesn't require an explanation.

Lol, cool, with the obvious response. However,

Rahm's recounting of his experience stands on it's own and I admire his candor on his feelings.

It doesn't require an explanation.

I always appreciate the peeling back of the ‘onion layer’ to reveal more in any response… and that’s what I also appreciate about Rahm - he wears his heart on his sleeve.

Are you for real? You think 'not looking at him and pretending to play alone' is idolizing and not fearing?

Are you for real? You think 'not looking at him and pretending to play alone' is idolizing and not fearing?

At the very least a fear of the weight of the situation. Akin to not lookin down with a fear of heights. Cannot spin that into admiration of said heights.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

what's TW schedule for this year?

My guess would be;

Torrey Pines

Maybe Pebble Beach but I would be surprise

Riveria

Mexico

Bay Hill

Sawgrass

Maybe Match-Play but I have a feeling he won’t

Masters

Quail Hollow

PGA

The Memorial

US Open

Could potentially see him playing MI/MN

The Open

Probably won’t play St Jude

All 3 Playoff events

what's TW schedule for this year?

My guess would be;

Torrey Pines

Maybe Pebble Beach but I would be surprise

Riveria

Mexico

Bay Hill

Sawgrass

Maybe Match-Play but I have a feeling he won't

Masters

Quail Hollow

PGA

The Memorial

US Open

Could potentially see him playing MI/MN

The Open

Probably won't play St Jude

All 3 Playoff events

First part off the season makes for some interesting choices:

Torrey-Phoenix-Pebble-Riviera-WGC Mexico-Honda-Palmer-Players-Valspar-WGC Match Play-Valero-Masters

Torrey, Pebble or Riviera, Mexico, Palmer, Players, Matchplay, Masters seems most likely

But Honda is his home event, so its possible he'd play there instead of Mexico.

St Jude is now a WGC, and backed by the Tour's biggest sponsor. I would be surprised if he skipped it.

Can you please present some empirical evidence that Tiger has been experiencing "mental issues", beyond what any (pro) golfer normally faces? And evidence that it's these supposed issues that have specifically prevented him from winning (more) and how?

Just you or someone else saying it, doesn't make it true.

Also, even in Tiger's prime I'm sure he experienced "doubts and uncertainties". That's part of being a human being, and especially when you play a very difficult game like golf at the highest level.

Agree as a general principle… but even winning has its limits. Watching Tiger go 0-4 at the Ryder Cup was proof of these limits.

This makes no sense. You are putting limits on TW again?

After TW destroyed your thesis, which you laid out in great detail.

Again. And again. And again.

You put up a wall worthy of the Quin dynasty, assembling all of your bricks so meticulously, and stood on it and proclaimed your doubts.

But, you forgot that you were dealing with one of the best athletes and mentally gifted/disciplined sports minds of all time.

Thus, your wall turned out such

giphy.gif

You need to hit bistros. The ingredients are still choice but the fare is simpler, fattier and tastier and the portions are bigger.

Man, now I want some duck,

365286011_1_640x640.jpg?identifier=4434e44ea7498ab2d9dce562e41e6b18