Scotty Cameron Detour Altering

uwhockey14uwhockey14 Members Posts: 263 ✭✭
I have seen some pictures of people that have altered their Scotty cameron Detour's by removing the back weight flange. Anybody have any information on how and who does this work, and what options there are for this and how is that weight replaced because i'm guessing without it the head weight is really light. I have a detour newport 2.5, I liked it for about a month when I got it and its basically sat for a decade because I can't stand that back flange with the line on it.... Thanks for the information.
Titleist 913D2/D3 (8.5) Stiff Diamana
Sonartec 14* Aldila NV Stiff
Sonartec 19* Fujikura Tour Platform (Stiff) 
Mizuno MP Fli-Hi Cut Muscle 3-Iron (Project X 6.0)
Mizuno MP-67 Cut Muscle 4-PW (Project X 5.5)
Titleist Vokey RAW 252.08 256.12 260.12 (Custom Grind) DG S200
Cobra Greg Norman (U-Model) Putter 
Ping Hoofer (Team USA)
Driver Cover (Black Lab)
3-Wood Cover (USA knit pom pom)
Putter Cover (Team USA 2016 Ryder Cup)

Comments

• naj959naj959 Members Posts: 1,003 ✭✭
    I looked into this as well after trading my buddy a Nome putter for his Detour. The flange and face insert are actually one piece. If you want to remove the flange you will have to replace the face insert. It wasn't worth it to me and the alignment aid has actually grown on me. The removal can be done, but I would imagine you would have to send your putter to a boutique shop unless you have a ton of club building experience. Good luck.
  • dbdorsdbdors Houston, Clear Lake areaClubWRX Posts: 1,779 ClubWRX
    edited Oct 11, 2018 #3
    If you do a goggle images search for "site:golfwrx.com detour mod". You see a lot of pics of what you want and then click on the pic will take you to the thread. For the most part these are DIY projects. There was some one who did it but it was pretty expensive. There was a guy on Facebook, but all he was doing was removing the insert and, grinding off the back and placing it back in. Which made for a very light putter in the end. I think you best shot is to DIY, find a pieces of copper, (easy to work with and lots denser than aluminum) and shape and install it.

Anyone that would do it for you would make it senseless from a cost stand point.

Like these the should help:

http://www.golfwrx.c...diy-buttonback/

http://www.golfwrx.c...-13-price-drop/

Woods: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 8*, Fujikura Ventus 6, stiff: TM M5, 13*, Diamana Thump 75, stiff
    Hybrids: TEE CBX 3H (20d), 4H (22d), Project X Hzrdus Black Hybrid 85 6.0
    Irons: TM M6, 5-GW, Accra 80i, stiff
    Wedges: Cleveland CBX 54* (bent to 55*), 60*, Accra 80i, stiff
    Putter: Evnroll ER1.2 355g, 33", SS Counter Core Mid Slim 2.0
    Ball: Wilson Duo Professional in green & yellow
    Bag/Cart: '18 Ping Hoofer/Clicgear 3.5+
    Accessories: Garmin G8/Nikon Coolshot Pro Stabilized
  • PesquadoPesquado Members Posts: 84 ✭✭
    I have seen a few of them turned into a cheap mans T10 by taking out the aluminium insert alignment aid and replace it with a copper style insert.

It does look good when done right, but im not sure of the headweight after the replacement, but the copper would weigh more so you would use less to achieve the same overall weight.

Driver: Titleist 913D2 9.5
    3 Wood: Callaway Steelhead III
    2 Iron: Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi
    Irons: Mizuno MP-32 - 3 to PW
    Wedges: Cleveland RTX 3 - 52, 56, 60
    Putters: Scotty Cameron Newport Classic, Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Pro Platinum & Ping Scottsdale Anser BeNi

• PutterProPutterPro ClubWRX Posts: 78 ClubWRX
    I bought one of these modified insert Detour putters. Mine was a milled copper insert from Spry Evo. It looked awesome, very clean! Because the copper was heavy it helped to bring the head weight up to 340 grams. Once the scotty insert/alignment “aid” is removed you’ve got a Newport 2 head with no sight line. It looked really good and obviously very unique. The inserts through Spry Evo are over $100 US and they do explain how to DIY it and there have been posts on WRX about it.
  • FlyOverFlyOver SoCalMembers Posts: 394 ✭✭
    Pesquado wrote:

I have seen a few of them turned into a cheap mans T10 by taking out the aluminium insert alignment aid and replace it with a copper style insert.

It does look good when done right, but im not sure of the headweight after the replacement, but the copper would weigh more so you would use less to achieve the same overall weight.

If the Detour 2 Mod is done well. It can look like the anniversary 10 yr terrilyum putter. BTW, both came out the same year I believe.

PJ Putters did my mod restore and the weight came back at 340 grams.
    Taylormade M6 9.0 loft-GD AD IZ 7S shaft
    Taylormade M6 3W-GD AD IZ 8S shaft
    Titleist 818 H2 Hybrid-Tensei Blue stiff 19*
    Honma TW 747v forged 4-10 irons-Modus 105 stiff shafts
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50* F Grind
    Mack Daddy 4 54* C Grind
    Mack Daddy 4 58* C Grind
    Scotty Cameron modified Detour Newport 2 putter
    Scotty Cameron Black Mist Notchback Putter
    Titleist yellow ProV1X 
    Here is a pic of the anniversary 10 year putter.
    Mack Daddy 4 54* C Grind
    Mack Daddy 4 58* C Grind
    Titleist yellow ProV1X 
  • uvaskemeuvaskeme Members Posts: 177
    FlyOver wrote:

Pesquado wrote:

If the Detour 2 Mod is done well. It can look like the anniversary 10 yr terrilyum putter. BTW, both came out the same year I believe.

Wow, your putter looks absolutely amazing! Thanks for the pics.

By chance, have you compared the feel of your custom insert to Scotty’s Tel insert? I’m gaming a buttonback and love the feel, but now I have an urge to add a detour to the collection.
    edited Oct 12, 2018 #9
    uvaskeme wrote:

FlyOver wrote:

Pesquado wrote:

Wow, your putter looks absolutely amazing! Thanks for the pics.

By chance, have you compared the feel of your custom insert to Scotty’s Tel insert? I’m gaming a buttonback and love the feel, but now I have an urge to add a detour to the collection.

Yes, I have a TEI3 Gen 1 Longneck and the Detour Mod feels softer. IMO, the Detour mod is softer, because it’s a thicker copper from front to back. From the pic you will notice the copper extends all the way through the center cavity. It also doesn’t have steel on the very back of the copper like the Buttonback or TEI3 does.
    Mack Daddy 4 54* C Grind
    Mack Daddy 4 58* C Grind
    Titleist yellow ProV1X 
  • smeech8000smeech8000 Ev'ryday I'm Trufflin' Members Posts: 2,419 ✭✭
    SpryEvo sells inserts pre-fabbed to fit the cavities: https://www.spryevo.com/shop/cameron-detour/

Not sure if he does any with dots milled into the cavity portion, but that would be awesome. Very similar to a T10 reproduction should you decide to finish the head to a high polish and torch.

The fact that these heads were stainless means you can pretty easily DIY the project with some sandpaper, caulk, and elbow grease. Sometimes sanding the flange and back cavity on anser-style heads is a chore due to the difficulty in accessing the nooks and crannies however the detour alignment/protrusion does a pretty good job of protecting those areas from chatter.
    Titleist 915D4 9.5*
    Titleist 909f3 15*
    Titleist 913h 19*
    Cally RAZR MB 4-PW
    Cally Forged 50/54/58
    Lajosi Sensor
  • kgeisler13kgeisler13 ClubWRX Posts: 339 ClubWRX
    I've been trying to find a cheap detour on ebay or the wrx so my friend and I can do this to a detour as well. He has a machine shop so he makes putters and we refinish some of our old scottys too
    KG
  • dbdorsdbdors Houston, Clear Lake areaClubWRX Posts: 1,779 ClubWRX
    dbdors wrote:

If you do a goggle images search for "site:golfwrx.com detour mod". You see a lot of pics of what you want and then click on the pic will take you to the thread. For the most part these are DIY projects. There was some one who did it but it was pretty expensive. There was a guy on Facebook, but all he was doing was removing the insert and, grinding off the back and placing it back in. Which made for a very light putter in the end. I think you best shot is to DIY, find a pieces of copper, (easy to work with and lots denser than aluminum) and shape and install it.

Anyone that would do it for you would make it senseless from a cost stand point.

Like these the should help:

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1561758-my-detour-2-refinish-a-diy-buttonback/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...diy-buttonback/[/url]

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1577600-dont-want-to-spend-800-on-a-buttonback-check-this-out-custom-newport-25-detour-buttonback-mod-13-price-drop/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...-13-price-drop/[/url]

I forgot the Spyrevo option. Still expensive, but an option nonetheless. https://www.spryevo.com/shop/cameron-detour/

Woods: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 8*, Fujikura Ventus 6, stiff: TM M5, 13*, Diamana Thump 75, stiff
    Hybrids: TEE CBX 3H (20d), 4H (22d), Project X Hzrdus Black Hybrid 85 6.0
    Irons: TM M6, 5-GW, Accra 80i, stiff
    Wedges: Cleveland CBX 54* (bent to 55*), 60*, Accra 80i, stiff
    Putter: Evnroll ER1.2 355g, 33", SS Counter Core Mid Slim 2.0
    Ball: Wilson Duo Professional in green & yellow
    Bag/Cart: '18 Ping Hoofer/Clicgear 3.5+
    Accessories: Garmin G8/Nikon Coolshot Pro Stabilized
  • GolfdoctorGolfdoctor Members Posts: 1,398 ✭✭
    Received my Detour 2.5 today, and waiting for the copper insert from Spryevo to arrive. Also have something in mind for the back of the insert. If it works it should look pretty cool.
    Well I'm about ready to assemble the Detour with the new copper insert. But I was wondering if I should place a ultra thin piece of rubber between the insert and the putter. Has anyone assemble one and what did you do.
  • DeCuchiDeCuchi Members Posts: 1,122
    edited Oct 29, 2018 #15
    Golfdoctor wrote:

Well I'm about ready to assemble the Detour with the new copper insert. But I was wondering if I should place a ultra thin piece of rubber between the insert and the putter. Has anyone assemble one and what did you do.

I don’t think any rubber is needed. The insert is plenty soft. Spryevo recommends using epoxy to secure the insert. The screws will hold, but it is soft copper so there is potential to strip I guess. I used a little epoxy on mine then filled the gap with DAP as recommended on the website. I’m very happy with it. Now I just need to get a sight line milled into the top line.
    You didn't plan to fail,
    you failed to plan!

M3 460/9.5*/HZRDUS 75 6.0
    '17 M2 Tour/16.5*/'ilima 70s
    '17 M1 /19*/'ilima 70s
    '10 MP Fli Hi 3-4/Recoil Hybrid Proto 100 f4
    MP4 5-PW/Recoil Proto 110 f4
    Taylormade Milled Grind 52*/KBS Tour 120 s
    Taylormade Hi-Toe 58*/ KBS Tour 120 s
    Cameron Oil Can Newport 2
    Srixon XV
    DeCuchi wrote:

Golfdoctor wrote:

I don't think any rubber is needed. The insert is plenty soft. Spryevo recommends using epoxy to secure the insert. The screws will hold, but it is soft copper so there is potential to strip I guess. I used a little epoxy on mine then filled the gap with DAP as recommended on the website. I'm very happy with it. Now I just need to get a sight line milled into the top line.

Thanks for responding. I was thinking of putting a little epoxy behind the face and a little on the screws so they'll hold better.