Of two minds re irons

wmblake2000

I love to play blades. Part of me has the attitude that I want to shoot the lowest score I can, but using irons I love to play. I have three incredible sets - Callaway mb pro raw, a little know jdm brand RomaRo pro and Macgregor 1025m. Love them all.

But I also believe that while I can score with these when I am on, there are swings in every round where more forgiving clubs would get me closer to the hole. And clubs that are hotter and provide more distance which at 66 I could use.

So now I am thinking I want an equally fine set whose only purpose is to support better scores. More consistent good impact, a little help on fat shots, and a little stronger loft (but not longer shafts).

I even wonder about putting in a bunch of hybrids, if I could get a set with std iron length shafts.

What do you think? Especially if you’re a low/mid single index, if you throw out look and feel and just want to get the ball in the hole, what is that set of irons?

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

See my Signature, irons been working for past 4 years. I too enjoy playing blades, but have to give it to modern tech as far as forgiveness.

Hybrids are so much easier to hit than a 2 or 3 iron, and if adjustable as mine are, you can dial in trajectory to your liking.

2021 Bag Update:

Epic Max LS - MMT 60S

Epic Flash 5 Wood

Epic 3/4 Hybrids

Apex '21 Irons 5-7  MMT95 TT

Apex Pro '21 Irons 8-A  MMT95 TT

PM Grind Slate Wedges 58/64

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

B330 XS Yellow

So now I am thinking I want an equally fine set whose only purpose is to support better scores. More consistent good impact, a little help on fat shots, and a little stronger loft (but not longer shafts).

What do you think?

Since you asked...

I think you should stay with the blades. As I recall a few months back you had an itch for something more forgiving but they didn't last in your bag. And a few months prior to that the same business... Seems to me your experiments wind up in the same place so I say spend the money on something more useful.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

Mr Blake. I get you 1000 -%.

There’s also some of the idea that “ everyone else is getting help and I’m not “ and the thought that it’s costing you. I do not know if that thought can actually be quantified though. I’ve tried and cannot do it.

There’s also style of play. I get in 2 minds sometimes as well. There’s the pin hunting , see curves really connected swing that is much harder to keep up and have every round. Then there’s the fairways and greens just keep it on plane swing and hope we drop a putt swing or mind. I’m fairly new to the game (4 years) so I’m still sorting out some mental aspects. I can hit anything. Not meant as a brag. Just that I don’t feel limited when I’m choosing clubs. It that doesn’t mean that I don’t enjoy a 6 iron that feels as easy to hit as a Pw. Especially if I see scores improve. It’s amazing how we evolve in this game.

Kind of the same tangent you are currently. And the iron that has my eye is the i500. Scored a new set on the cheap. Long story that doesn’t matter. The low offset suits the eye of a guy coming from Miura etc. and although feel is different. Performance makes you forget that. I’m not 1000 % yet. But eAch practice / tuning session I’ve left with another smile. I’ll say this. You should test them. But being a length of lead tape with you. Coming from any mb they will feel light. Any fitter who isn’t an a** won’t mind you slapping some tape on to have a good feel. It took quite a bit to get mine to feel head heavy. But made all the difference in strike.

I don’t know if any of that helps. But at least you know you aren’t alone.

I also have fits of “ F-it “ and I’ll say what am I doing ? And have the urge to ditch everything in my bag and go back. But so far hitting a few more balls with the ping irons has snapped me to my senses. It’s a conundrum for us who don’t fear the small irons. You feel like your giving something up playing a small iron. But I’m not certain it is a measurable thing either way to a decent player. How’s that for a stream of consience that’s spinning off into never never land ?! Lol.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I see from your sig you already have a 2h and a 4h. How about adding one more to replace your current longest iron (or two)? If you're like most, you don't need much more "forgiveness" in the shorter irons, so go with something that maximizes the forgiveness in the categories you mention at the end where it'll have the most impact - which is usually a the longer end.

There are definitely some smaller sized players CB's out there. I played Z965's this past season. After switching out to 2016 Apex Pro's I realized that the Z965's blade length is actually longer than the Apex Pro's. Plus, they are just flat out easier to hit. Get a little on the toe side and I still get almost the same distance as a flushed shot. I hit them a little further than the Srixons, but they are pretty darn consistent. I am so confident in them, that I just sold the Srixons and plan on sticking with these for the foreseeable future. From the top, they look just as demanding as my MB's.

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

What do you think?

Since you asked...

I think you should stay with the blades. As I recall a few months back you had an itch for something more forgiving but they didn't last in your bag. And a few months prior to that the same business... Seems to me your experiments wind up in the same place so I say spend the money on something more useful.

Haha! This unsolved conflict has raged for years, not months!

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

I see from your sig you already have a 2h and a 4h. How about adding one more to replace your current longest iron (or two)? If you're like most, you don't need much more "forgiveness" in the shorter irons, so go with something that maximizes the forgiveness in the categories you mention at the end where it'll have the most impact - which is usually a the longer end.

This is the option I have thought about the most - throwing hybrids in thru maybe 7 iron. But most hybrids have pretty long shafts and feel like they are designed for distance and not accuracy. That could just be my bias speaking.

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

When its not blades, its my RC BBD V7's. When you get back you should take them out for a round. That way, you'll just know whether or not to move forward :).

Thx! Sitting in Dubai airport, just looked them up to see a pic. I’ll take them out especially if you can squeeze a round in.

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

Maybe if their were some sort of GI safe space like the blade lovers thread you could get the support to see this through ;-)

I hear what you are saying - I’m always having the doubts that you expressed.

Ping G400 @ 10.5° (Ping Tour 65S)

Ping G400 5 wood @ 16.5° (Ping Alta CB 65S)

Ping G410 7 wood @ 20° (Ping Tour 75X)

Titleist 818H2 @ 22° (PX 6.0)

Ping i210 PowerSpec 5-U (DG S300)

Titleist SM7 54° F / 60° K (DG S200)

Ping Heppler Floki

Titleist ProV1x/AVX

Hows that for a stream of consience thats spinning off into never never land ?! Lol.

After 24 hrs of travel and still counting, spinning into never never land just fits perfectly.

The thing about this is I really do have 2 different mind sets. I’m keeping all 3 blades. They are each just magnificent. (I actually got the Macs from Nessism years ago! And the RomaRos from Kingcat. Both live in so cal and are total golf nerds of the highest order!)

But I’d like to find a set that is just as deeply a keeper that’s ... better? I just don’t know how to define this set. The 3 blade sets are all the result of a lot of trial and error. I doubt I buy another.

The most practical answer is to mesh some Mac 1025 cb with the mb. I have 3,4 cb. Add the 5,6 cb and play a fully blended set. Hmmm. I might do that.

PS: taking golf clubs in the dead of night in an airport half a world away is total fun.

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

Maybe if their were some sort of GI safe space like the blade lovers thread you could get the support to see this through ;-)

I hear what you are saying - Im always having the doubts that you expressed.

Nah. That thread is sacrosanct. It’s the least contentious place in all of wrx and I would not want to risk it!!

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

There are definitely some smaller sized players CB's out there. I played Z965's this past season. After switching out to 2016 Apex Pro's I realized that the Z965's blade length is actually longer than the Apex Pro's. Plus, they are just flat out easier to hit. Get a little on the toe side and I still get almost the same distance as a flushed shot. I hit them a little further than the Srixons, but they are pretty darn consistent. I am so confident in them, that I just sold the Srixons and plan on sticking with these for the foreseeable future. From the top, they look just as demanding as my MB's.

This new generation of players distance irons (p790, rogue pro, etc) are interesting. I also hit some xforged from maybe 2013 that were nice.

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

See my Signature, irons been working for past 4 years. I too enjoy playing blades, but have to give it to modern tech as far as forgiveness.

Hybrids are so much easier to hit than a 2 or 3 iron, and if adjustable as mine are, you can dial in trajectory to your liking.

I can’t see your signature on my phone/app. What are you playing?

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

I hear what you are saying - I’m always having the doubts that you expressed.

Don’t make me pull your Ric Flair avatar. You know Ric is swinging a blade !!

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Short answer: AP2 - ridiculous GI like help on off-center strikes in a small-mid package that doesn't launch the ball to the moon.

Longer answer: Do you really want to go there..? Ask yourself whether your "off days" really matter. As you know, a great many people choose clubs that will "help them on their off days." Sound plan - especially if it gives them confidence to play well. I have recently come to the realization that, for me, I will choose the exact opposite approach. To wit, ...

Consider it is most likely over 50 rounds the variability of individual ball striking would plot according to natural distribution - or a bell curve. Can't speak for anyone else, but I suspect my particular plot would have "pretty solid - or, at least good enough" about 70% of the time, "above my paygrade" about 15% of the time, and "you suck, switch to tennis" about 15% of the time. Moreover, when I'm in the unfortunate 15% range, there is no club design on earth that could help much. Therefore, why would I want to base my club choice on 15% of my rounds - especially when during that 15%, it wouldn't matter much anyway.

As such, I recommend you play the clubs that bring you the most enjoyment over the vast majority of your rounds and on the days it feels like you're wearing boxing gloves or you're otherwise struggling, embrace the suck and work on your scrambling.

TSi3 10

TS2 16.5 & 21

G425 22 & 26

ZX7 6i - PW

Vokey 54F-14, 58K-12

Spider X

Short answer: AP2 - ridiculous GI like help on off-center strikes in a small-mid package that doesn't launch the ball to the moon.

Longer answer: Do you really want to go there..? Ask yourself whether your "off days" really matter. As you know, a great many people choose clubs that will "help them on their off days." Sound plan - especially if it gives them confidence to play well. I have recently come to the realization that, for me, I will choose the exact opposite approach. To wit, ...

If one considers it is most likely over 50 rounds the variability of individual ball striking would plot according to natural distribution - or a bell curve. Can't speak for anyone else, but I suspect my particular plot would have "pretty solid - or, at least good enough" about 70% of the time, "above my paygrade" about 15% of the time, and "you suck, switch to tennis" about 15% of the time. Moreover, when I'm in the unfortunate 15% range, there is no club design on earth that could help much. Therefore, why would I want to base my club choice on 15% of my rounds - especially when during that 15%, it wouldn't matter much anyway.

As such, I recommend you play the clubs that bring you the most enjoyment over the vast majority of your rounds and on the days it feels like you're wearing boxing gloves or you're otherwise struggling, embrace the suck and work on your scrambling.

There’s some wisdom in your point. I tend to get on runs - good and bad. Sometimes I want a club that helps me re-find confidence.

I’m actually thinking the answer is just add 5,6 cb from the Mac 1025. These are super easy to hit blades and cb. They aren’t real long (weakish lifts compared to modern clubs) but easy to play.

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

Depends on the way in which you want to improve score. If you want to hit more greens, find some giant-a** iron design and fire away. If you want an iron to fire at pins with, blades are the way. I don't hit them farther, but I hit them closer.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

If one considers it is most likely over 50 rounds the variability of individual ball striking would plot according to natural distribution - or a bell curve. Can't speak for anyone else, but I suspect my particular plot would have "pretty solid - or, at least good enough" about 70% of the time, "above my paygrade" about 15% of the time, and "you suck, switch to tennis" about 15% of the time. Moreover, when I'm in the unfortunate 15% range, there is no club design on earth that could help much. Therefore, why would I want to base my club choice on 15% of my rounds - especially when during that 15%, it wouldn't matter much anyway.

You forgot to add how you have know idea when it will be a 15% great day, 70% normal day, 15% suck day when you tee it up!!!

Depends on the way in which you want to improve score. If you want to hit more greens, find some giant-a** iron design and fire away. If you want an iron to fire at pins with, blades are the way. I don't hit them farther, but I hit them closer.

I was thinking that I have a better sense of distance control with a blade and agree that I hit it closer with blades.

I hit some Callaway Rogue Pros - man, they are long. But I was wondering if I’d hit them close. It’s more about the mindset I imagine I’d have and not so much about the club itself, where I’d think more about hitting that club hard vs close. With blades I often hit a lot of club but end up in great shape. That sort of seems stupid to believe (that I’d lose sight of the goal of getting it close with, say, Rogue pro), but, hey, I’ve been called worse.

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

I was thinking that I have a better sense of distance control with a blade and agree that I hit it closer with blades.

I hit some Callaway Rogue Pros - man, they are long. But I was wondering if I’d hit them close. It’s more about the mindset I imagine I’d have and not so much about the club itself, where I’d think more about hitting that club hard vs close. With blades I often hit a lot of club but end up in great shape. That sort of seems stupid to believe (that I’d lose sight of the goal of getting it close with, say, Rogue pro), but, hey, I’ve been called worse.

Again. Exactly what I’ve found. For whatever reason I wat to hit a gi club hard. With an mb I’ll take 1-2 clubs more plenty of times and swoop something in close. It has to do with the sole and the closing of the toe a mb offers. A gi club is harder to hit the sawed off shot sometimes. If it’s soft out not as hard. But if it’s firm you need to be able to get under the ball to turn it over. You can hit the hold off punch fade. But that’s pretty 1D in my book.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I think it's a relatively simple formula. The object of the game is to get the ball into the hole. Play what gets you the distances you desire and affords you the goal of getting to the greens with the best averages. A few years ago, I happened to play with an older gentleman who did not have a matching club in his bag. I had to ask why and he said that through the years, he had found specific clubs which not only fit his eye, but worked for his swing. In this particular case, it was not only the Indian, but also the arrows.

A good friend of mine said always use the tool that helps you do the best job possible. If if the change helps lower your scores then go for it. At 66 you’ve held out longer than most.

Driver- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

4H- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699U 21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges - Sub 70 286 50+54 degree

Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach #11