2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Cobra One Length trial promotion

Qwiklap

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine were delivered today. I guess that means I need to try them out tonight on the range

What are people's initial experiences them OL vs their gamer set in terms of distances (particularly PW, 7i, 5i)?

Titleist TSR2 9* w/ Tensei Pro Orange CK 60TX

Titleist TSR2+ 14.5* w/ Graphite Design AD-DI 7S

Titleist TSR3 18* w/ Graphite Design AD-IZ 8S

Titleist u505 3i 20* w/ Graphite Design AD-IZ 9S

Srixon ZX4 MkII w/ Project X LZ 6.0 5-PW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50@49* - Mizuno T22 54* - Taylormade High Toe 58*

LAB Golf Mezz Max Broom 79.5* lie, 45" or one of my Armlocks

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV or Maxfli Tour X

Got mine and went straight to range. First impressions are not that great. 7i was great. Smooth, same height and distance as my Pings but a tad softer. 5i was horrible. No matter how well it was struck it would not get in the air. Barely carried past my 7i on the best strikes. Toe hits were about 8i distance. Switched back to my i200 and every 5i was high perfect carry and smooth. I am going to put them in play this afternoon and give them their proper chance, but I am just not sure. Could be more than just the OL as I am trying graphite for the first time also. The 9i and GW were easy to hit but went pretty high. I would be ok with that, but the main reason for trying this were the long irons. We’ll see.

Got mine and went straight to range. First impressions are not that great. 7i was great. Smooth, same height and distance as my Pings but a tad softer. 5i was horrible. No matter how well it was struck it would not get in the air. Barely carried past my 7i on the best strikes. Toe hits were about 8i distance. Switched back to my i200 and every 5i was high perfect carry and smooth. I am going to put them in play this afternoon and give them their proper chance, but I am just not sure. Could be more than just the OL as I am trying graphite for the first time also. The 9i and GW were easy to hit but went pretty high. I would be ok with that, but the main reason for trying this were the long irons. We'll see.

How was it adjusting to a wedge that was as long as a 7i?

Got mine and went straight to range. First impressions are not that great. 7i was great. Smooth, same height and distance as my Pings but a tad softer. 5i was horrible. No matter how well it was struck it would not get in the air. Barely carried past my 7i on the best strikes. Toe hits were about 8i distance. Switched back to my i200 and every 5i was high perfect carry and smooth. I am going to put them in play this afternoon and give them their proper chance, but I am just not sure. Could be more than just the OL as I am trying graphite for the first time also. The 9i and GW were easy to hit but went pretty high. I would be ok with that, but the main reason for trying this were the long irons. We'll see.

How was it adjusting to a wedge that was as long as a 7i?

Fine on the range. Will let you know on course with awkward lies/rough. Just the same easy 7i swing and it was good. Launched really high though, so not sure how gapping will work with wind. Might be more confusing than adjusting your swing and calculating for wind/elevation. It's pretty windy today so will see how distances manage on my home course.

I seem to have the 5i launching too high on my home GC2 - like over 22*. Seems to be coming up short. 7i is ok - in line with my Srixon but very spinny. So may carry short.

Gap was kind of weird. Really high spin and launch - and also a bit short

Question: am I supposed to vary ball positions like one would with VL clubs? Or play all clubs at 7i (center) position?

Played two rounds this weekend with the SL irons (5-GW) and a 4H, with an extended range session as well. Some thoughts on the clubs so far.

It's going to take some time to mentally compensate/trust on both ends. You have to trust that on a 5i shot you don't need to overswing because of the shorter length and on the wedges, you don't need to grip down or swing easier. The first few wedge shots on the course on Saturday came up short because I simply didn't trust that the design would accomodate for the length. It was very simple to put the ball in the same position with every iron shot and make the same swing. No golf club will fix a swing with issues but having the same length does bring more consistency which helps. The irons are forgiving and every bit as long as the Cally XR's that were in the bag even considering we played in 50 degree temps.

The club that was tough to get familiar with is the 4H. On a comparative basis, it's so short that it felt like you were swinging a child's club. The ball position needed to be exactly the same because moving it slightly forward of center would produce a right to left shot. This was also the one club that seems to fly higher than normal and I'm not as sure it carried as far as the other hybrid.

The one aspect that I was pleasantly surprised by was the Cobra Connect/Arccos tracking system. Over the 2 rounds it only missed a couple of shots. In several cases, it showed a shot ending on the green when it was actually on the fringe. It was very easy to correct through the dashboard. Having the phone in the front pocket was actually easy to get over and I really didn't think about it at all. The battery life is correlated to the time on the course. Saturday's round was 5+ hours and the battery drained down to 30%. Sunday's 3 hour round had more than 55% battery remaining. On occasion we play 36 holes and I think you'd need some kind of extra battery to make it through the entire day.

I'm a numbers person and having the statistical breakdown of the rounds was helpful and a bit surprising. It showed putting and sand play to be way better than what I thought with chipping to be an area of needed improvement. Only 2 rounds of data so not statistically meaningful yet but more directional. Being able to dive into the carry numbers was very insightful as well. Because of conditions, there was minimal roll this weekend so it's good to know that into the wind drives carried 221 yards and downwind, 250+. That definitely data that can help in decision making.

Hopefully the weather will cooperate and I'll be able to get a couple more rounds in this weekend to see if progress is truly being made with the clubs.

Good to see positive reviews. I think SL deserves more credits and personal opinion... but if Titleist came out with concept SL irons before Cobra did, it would've been touted as ground-breaking tech.

For armatures, long irons are hard to hit and SL can give golfers some serious confidence.

That is the biggest difference I have noticed with the Pinhawks I've been using. Previously if I was pulling 4-6 iron from the middle of the fairway I had no confidence I was going to hit a good shot. Now I can pull any club with confidence I can hit the center of the club face.

Ping G400
Ping Anser 3W
Ping Anser 3H
Ping i210 4-PW DGTI X100
Ping Glide 50*
Ping Glide 3.0 54* Eye2
Ping Glide 2.0 60* E/S
Ping Vault Anser 2

I ordered a 4-6 iron of the F8 single lengths to have my bag go same length from long irons down to 7 iron and then the normal progression. For me they are straight as an arrow, but I am not getting the height I wanted out of them so my stopping control isn't very good with them. I am a relatively low ball hitter though so it just compounded that issue for me. Although I will say I am impressed that I was actually getting slightly better distances with these than my progressive length irons. If anyone wants to give these 3 irons a new home then let me know.

I am not loving mine - even with the Tour 105s, they are about 11g heavier than my Srixons on i95s.

The weight of the club is throwing me off. I really want to love these as I love the long clubs being short on length.

Just saw in the other Tour news thread that they are doing away with the Forged Tour/ONE. I won’t be wasting anymore time on these and will go ahead and send them back to Cobra. Not interested in investing in a club that Cobra doesn’t even want to continue to invest in. I’ll stick with Ping for a while longer.

I am not loving mine - even with the Tour 105s, they are about 11g heavier than my Srixons on i95s.

The weight of the club is throwing me off. I really want to love these as I love the long clubs being short on length.

isn't 11g what the difference is between i95 and modus 105???

Yes - I asked if they could do i95s and they said no. This was the only lightweight and stiff option that they said could still get me to a D1 swingweight with midsized grips.

That’s strange. The recoils stock are D0. Add midsize grips and you should be at C9. It’ hard to believe Cobra doesn’t have 4g tip weights to install. No wonder Ping has the custom thing locked down. Heck they have different weight heads and then different weight CTPs.

On my set, unless they offer a 30%-35% discount, mine will be going back. I don’t mind paying $100 club for a 2 year old club, but $160 ea is a bit steep.

With TGW knocking $300 off the price of the Forged One, I would have to think Cobra will offer at least that discount.

I would think so. I am playing them again today. If they go as straight as the last time, and I hit as many greens I might give them a shot. As long as they can discount them. If not, i'll wait and see what comes about next spring and keep on with the i200s.

Nope, not for me. They are going back. The short irons were hit fat, and the long irons were hit thin. Just not seeing it.

I did place an order with them though on a F8+ 4w with PX HZRDUS Black for only $180 shipped. See if it wants to replace my F6 baffler. Not sure about the shaft, but figured I would get something I haven't tried yet as I have a stable full of all the Aldila offerings.

Thats strange. The recoils stock are D0. Add midsize grips and you should be at C9. It hard to believe Cobra doesnt have 4g tip weights to install. No wonder Ping has the custom thing locked down. Heck they have different weight heads and then different weight CTPs.

On my set, unless they offer a 30%-35% discount, mine will be going back. I dont mind paying $100 club for a 2 year old club, but $160 ea is a bit steep.

I ordered with the recoils (780 F4) and requested a D1 measured SW on 5-9 with the Lamkin Crossline Cord Mid grip, and D2 on PW and GW. They emailed me to say the best they could do was C7. They then subbed in the Modus 105.

They apparently have no graphite tip weights on hand.

That’s strange. The recoils stock are D0. Add midsize grips and you should be at C9. It’ hard to believe Cobra doesn’t have 4g tip weights to install. No wonder Ping has the custom thing locked down. Heck they have different weight heads and then different weight CTPs.

On my set, unless they offer a 30%-35% discount, mine will be going back. I don’t mind paying $100 club for a 2 year old club, but $160 ea is a bit steep.

I ordered with the recoils (780 F4) and requested a D1 measured SW on 5-9 with the Lamkin Crossline Cord Mid grip, and D2 on PW and GW. They emailed me to say the best they could do was C7. They then subbed in the Modus 105.

They apparently have no graphite tip weights on hand.

How are you getting along with your set?

So as someone thats had these in the bag for two full seasons now, I think I've said this a few times before. But if you are trying these sets out and thinking you're going to snap into something in one or two days/range sessions, you're just not.

IMO unless you have the full two weeks to dedicate to trying these out - they aren't going to be worth the time for you. Just save yourself the hassle/money.

TM Stealth2 10.5* - Ventus TR Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TBD - TM P7MC // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey 46*/50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash