2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Breaking 90 - the "easiest" way?

Z1ggy16

To be clear I'm not saying stand on the tee box saying to yourself "yea I'm gonna get a bogey woot woot".

Its more like bogey is your new par. You are still trying to do better than "par" on the hole, but if you end up with a bogey thats ok.

This mindset makes a par more like a birdie.

Will this strategy work if you are shooting 120 every time, no. Thats why said if you are legitimately in the 90s, a change of mindset is all you might need.

I'm talking about the strategy of laying back, AWAY from the green...to hit the green on the GIR plus one shot. For example, hit mid-iron (or shorter) on first and second shots on a par 4, to leave a full iron shot (or full wedge) into the green on the third shot. It leaves no room for error.

If someone is good enough lay up...hit all the greens on GIR+1 with a full shot...then two putt them all for a 90, he is good enough to shoot low 80's. Or much better.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^ I Agree. If you are consistent enough to hit every green in 1 extra stroke and 2-putt from there, you are generally a pretty decent ball striker and likely capable of well below 90. In reality breaking 90 is all about getting your ball striking to the point where you aren't completely wasting strokes/getting in trouble off the tee and putting up big numbers along with a serviceable short game. There really isnt a magic formula or trick to it, you need to have a decent all around game

Work on your weaknesses.

If you 3 putt more than once a round practice your putting, a lot.

You need to learn to hit at least one reliable short game shot to get on the green and vicinity of the hole.

Course management, keep your tee shots in play, and get your 2nd shots close to the green. Avoid hazards and OB.

I broke 90 every round I played this year except 1. There is nothing about my game that would impress most people except I rarely lost a ball, and my short game is solid. I rarely 3 putt, I often chip it close enough to make it, I rarely miss a putt inside 3 feet. I don't hit it long, but I hardly leave it in a bunker, or fail to put it on the green when inside 40 yards, and I'm usually with in a range that expect to have a chance to make the putt.

I used to break 80 a hand full of times a year, and occasionally 70 on an easy course. My game is falling apart because of physical issues, but my short game and course management remain strong. Current index is 8.8.

To me breaking 90 is all about the short game and management, going low requires longer drives and accurate irons, giving yourself chances to make birdie. Eliminate the big number, if you never do worse than bogey you will break 90 every time you play, I promise, I mean ya gotta make one par right? Or play a par 71......The guys I know who shoot in the 70's make 2-3 birdies a round, the guys I know who shoot in the 90's rarely get up and down.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

To be clear I'm not saying stand on the tee box saying to yourself "yea I'm gonna get a bogey woot woot".

Its more like bogey is your new par. You are still trying to do better than "par" on the hole, but if you end up with a bogey thats ok.

This mindset makes a par more like a birdie.

Will this strategy work if you are shooting 120 every time, no. Thats why said if you are legitimately in the 90s, a change of mindset is all you might need.

I'm talking about the strategy of laying back, AWAY from the green...to hit the green on the GIR plus one shot. For example, hit mid-iron (or shorter) on first and second shots on a par 4, to leave a full iron shot (or full wedge) into the green on the third shot. It leaves no room for error.

If someone is good enough lay up...hit all the greens on GIR+1 with a full shot...then two putt them all for a 90, he is good enough to shoot low 80's. Or much better.

Agreed, I'm not suggesting anyone goes for the strategy you mention either.

Play for par (or better) from the tee.

Most legit 90s shooters can at least advance the ball a fair distance on the vast majority of swings. It may not go the intended distance, and might be offline a ways.

If you get into trouble off the tee, remember bogey is ok, you don't have to hit the green on your 2nd. Just get the ball in the vicinity of the green. Most greens have a nice opening in front that offers a "simple" chip shot. Hit your chip shot and have a putt for par, and a 2 putt at bogey.

Hit a good drive great! You dont have to stick your second shot next to the pin. Play it smart.

This isn't the strategy I'm recommending for the 100s shooter, nor the guy that wants to get good enough to one day shoot a score in the 70s.

This is the advice for the guy/gal that shoots a real score in the 90s doesn't have the want/time/money/whatever to practice a lot and will be happy getting that first number to start with an 8 on the scorecard here and there. Hence, "easiest".

For any other goals or situations my answer is different.

Edit: Many people I see that call themselves 90s shooters are actually in the 100s when counting mulligans, S&D, putting everything out. Hence my qualifier of legitimate 90s shooter.

Golfing Ginger
So glad I picked an outside activity...

Two shots to hit par 3 greens...

Three shots to hit par 4 greens...

Four shots to hit par 5 greens...

Two putt every green...

Are you suggesting to purposefully try to NOT reach the greens in regulation?

I'm simply good at math...

It's up to the golfer to understand the math and how it relates to their goal of lowering their score and how they choose to play...

One of the biggest things is not losing balls.

I play a course with a 200 yard par 3 that has a long narrow green with water on one side and trees on the other. I've seen this type of hole on several courses. There is a nice wide fairway leading up to the green, the hazards start where the green starts. When I play holes like this, I often lay up with my 180 club to the gathering area leading up to the green then go for an up and down. The green is typically really flat and the pins are never in tricky locations, making a chip and a putt not so difficult. Im pretty sure the course designer made the hole to be played this way. I see people rack up 5's and 6's on par 3's like this because they go for the green and lose their ball in the woods or the hazard.

If you are focused on not losing your ball, you tend to make better choices and save strokes. So many poor golfers have the talent necessary to break 90, but they make poor decisions. They end up hitting their third shot from the tee of nearly 1/3rd of the holes they play and yet they never address this glaring issue. You need to ask yourself what the course designer had in mind with each hole. Sometimes it can be really fun and interesting to find the little landmines they leave for you. Like there are typically hazards/bunkers leading up the the green on short par 5's. That's because the designer knows people will try to get on in two. Or we all have been on that tricky short par 4 that has a wide landing area 160 yards off the tee and then it gets tight with hazards around 220-250 yards. Clearly the objective is to punish those who pull out driver every hole.

Buy a sleeve of Pro v1's and make it your objective to play them for as many rounds as possible. I'll bet your score will go down.

2 days ago, I got to game at Royal Links (Gold Tee, 6600 yds, 72.0/132) in Las Vegas, which consists famous the Open holes from UK. Very humbling experience; I underestimated the power of fescue. It is IMPOSSIBLE to find balls once goes in. Also, bunch of hidden bunkers. Lastly, weird bent grass or bermuda like greens.

During the round, these are few things I applied from this thread and videos.

• I used hybrids in many holes to avoid fescue and bunkers.
  • I used the laser rangefinder and course map (on the grint) for ball placements
  • I did not add up scores but recorded total strokes, total putts made and mistakes
  • I concentrated on one stroke at a time; upon a mistake, I focused on the next stroke by saying "one good stroke makes difference"
  • I focused on placing ball on green rather than trying to place it near green; it freed my mind and enabled me to make stree-free strokes.

I shot 91 with 2 blow-up holes. At a Par 5 hole, I shot 9 including 3 lost balls in fescue. At par 3, I shot 6 including 2 sand shots out of this impossible British style cylinder bunker. But the highlight was that I made 8 pars (6 in a row in back 9) with 4 1-putt par saves. I knew I made lotta pars but didn't know until done.

Although I didn't get to break 90, I do like the progress of somewhat stress-free process-driven golf with 70% rule. At easier course, I will be able to break 90 easily with this pace and mentality.

Buy a sleeve of Pro v1's and make it your objective to play them for as many rounds as possible. I'll bet your score will go down.

Yes and no. On one hand I agree entirely about not losing balls, but the problem is that if not losing balls is the goal (i.e. avoiding a negative result) then it's too easy to fall into the trap of playing defensively and not making good solid assertive swings. There's a fine balance that needs to be found between picking conservative targets to aim at where you can fit your dispersion pattern in comfortably, and playing positively and aggressively to the targets you choose.

I've realized that I have a silly mental block that prevents me from breaking 90 much more often.

My worst holes relative to par are almost always par fives, and it's almost always because I treat the tee shot differently than other holes. I try and hit a driver as far as I can, which often leads to tragic results.

This makes no sense, because I'm relatively short off the tee anyway and I'm never in position to get on in two. However, if I manage my game and get on in three I'm very likely to make par.

I need to adjust this. Rather than try and hit my driver as far as possible off the tee, risking OB or similar, I need to use a safe fairway finder and plan for three shots from the beginning.

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

Yesterday, I got to game at my home course (6439 yds, 71.6/130), narrow undulated fairways and fast hard undulated greens.

During the round,

• I used hybrids to keep balls on fairways.
  • I used the laser rangefinder and course map (on the grint) for ball placements
  • I did not add up scores but recorded total strokes, total putts made and mistakes until the round was done
  • I concentrated on one stroke at a time; upon a mistake, I focused on the next stroke by saying "one good stroke makes difference"
  • I focused on placing ball on green rather than trying to place it near green; it freed my mind and enabled me to make stree-free strokes.

Such practice resulted in:

• 86 gross score
  • 5 GIRs, 8 pars, 4 1-putt par saves
  • 79% FIR

Now time for me to keep the trend.

After a bad September for me, I was not able to play a lot last month. I was not able to practice too. So when I got the chance in October to play, I was afraid that I would suck. But I was wrong. I just kept the formula I was following in August.

I shot 84 for my first game back being rusty. 81 last week.

What I did is:

1 shot at a time. I accepted that I will make mistakes since I was rusty.

I tried to keep the ball in play always. Still lost two golf balls on each outing.

I got up and down a lot and putted well enough to get my second putts, in tap in range,

I did not add my score and just focused on what was on hand.

In the last two games, my driver has been spotty. But my irons and short game was still intact. It proved again my theory that even with a 160 yard drive, I can score low as long as I don't lose golf balls. That is if I play a 6000-6500 yard course.

The biggest problem is, it's not really easy to break 90. Also depends on the course that you play at. Flat, short, easy courses are the quickest way to break 90 IMO. Actually, IMO quickest way to break 90 is to play more. I know that's how I did it lol.

Callaway Paradym TD 10* Ventus Red TR 5S

Titleist TSR3 13.5* 3 Wood Tour AD-IZ 6S

Titleist TSR3 19* hybrid Modus GOST S

Titleist TSR2 24* hybrid Modus GOST S

Callaway Paradym Hybrid 27* Ventus non Velocore S

Titleist T100 2023 6-PW KBS Tour V S

Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron X7.5 CS

The biggest problem is, it's not really easy to break 90. Also depends on the course that you play at. Flat, short, easy courses are the quickest way to break 90 IMO. Actually, IMO quickest way to break 90 is to play more. I know that's how I did it lol.

+1 Two great points. If you're playing a hilly ball eating course, it will be harder to break 90. One time, a friend who is older in his 60's said, he shoots 80's all of the time. I said, what's the secret, he said, I play 3 days per week.

I shot a 93 this past weekend. Didn't lose a single ball, played the 2 balls in my pocket the whole round. Why did I still not break 90? Easy.. Putting. I had FOUR three putts, and had 3 missed putts inside four feet. You take away those garbage putts and I have an easy 87 or 88.

So... while I do think keeping 1 ball in play the whole round is crucial to breaking 90, avoiding 3 putts like the plague is also extremely important. Figure, for every 3 putt you make, that's like tossing a ball OB or in a hazard pretty much.

I've also been keeping stats on TheGrint and I've come to learn I play par 3's horribly. I'm losing the most strokes to par 3's and I'm shooting just over par on par 5's. So out of say the 16-20 strokes a round a lose, I'm losing nearly half to par 3's. Must be mental because non of the courses I play have par 3's over 200 yards so it's not like I'm having to play a 4i or hybrid often. Usually anywhere from 7-PW. My iron striking is decent enough where I should be making mostly 3's and 4's.

I shot a 93 this past weekend. Didn't lose a single ball, played the 2 balls in my pocket the whole round. Why did I still not break 90? Easy.. Putting. I had FOUR three putts, and had 3 missed putts inside four feet. You take away those garbage putts and I have an easy 87 or 88.

So... while I do think keeping 1 ball in play the whole round is crucial to breaking 90, avoiding 3 putts like the plague is also extremely important. Figure, for every 3 putt you make, that's like tossing a ball OB or in a hazard pretty much.

I've also been keeping stats on TheGrint and I've come to learn I play par 3's horribly. I'm losing the most strokes to par 3's and I'm shooting just over par on par 5's. So out of say the 16-20 strokes a round a lose, I'm losing nearly half to par 3's. Must be mental because non of the courses I play have par 3's over 200 yards so it's not like I'm having to play a 4i or hybrid often. Usually anywhere from 7-PW. My iron striking is decent enough where I should be making mostly 3's and 4's.

At par 3 holes, why don't you leave your ego at home and place balls in safe places? It does not have to be on green. 2 on and 2 putts for a bogey. In my case, I may play stress-free golf at part 3s with such mentality. It is simllar to driving with hybrids at par 4s & 5s.

If you ONLY had 4 3-putts and still shot a 93, putting is not your problem.

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

I don't quite understand what you mean? I had 40 total putts that round, didn't lose a single ball. Only hit 4-5 greens... but this is breaking 90, not 80. If I did nothing different but just made a couple putts, that's an easy 90 break.

I don't quite understand what you mean? I had 40 total putts that round, didn't lose a single ball. Only hit 4-5 greens... but this is breaking 90, not 80. If I did nothing different but just made a couple putts, that's an easy 90 break.

Zig, you seriously need indoor practice putting green. start from 2 ft and 1 foot interval. my cheap Cally one is only 9ft long but it helps me tremendously. I was king of 3 putts but now my avg putt is down to 32.1 per the Grint. since you have the Grint, have your buddies join and be in silent competition.

Zig, you seriously need indoor practice putting green. start from 2 ft and 1 foot interval. my cheap Cally one is only 9ft long but it helps me tremendously. I was king of 3 putts but now my avg putt is down to 32.1 per the Grint. since you have the Grint, have your buddies join and be in silent competition.

I don't have the room my man :-/ I have all hardwood floors and my condo is maaaybe 800sqft. I have a little area rug but it's at most 6 feet long. I do practice on it but it's not the same as on a real green. Maybe I need to buy a nice practice green thing like you have and sling it down my hallway. Wife will love that... lol.

Man... if I averaged 32 ppr that would change my game. Currently 37.1 PPR average.

I don't have the room my man :-/ I have all hardwood floors and my condo is maaaybe 800sqft. I have a little area rug but it's at most 6 feet long. I do practice on it but it's not the same as on a real green. Maybe I need to buy a nice practice green thing like you have and sling it down my hallway. Wife will love that... lol.

Man... if I averaged 32 ppr that would change my game. Currently 37.1 PPR average.

in your case, Matt from golf sidekick on YT recommends to putt on 4' metal ruler that you can find at hardware store. I have not done that yet but willing to try.

This webpage changed my game ...

https://www.paultrevillion.com/inventor-of-split-hand-putting-method.html

I didn't buy his book ... But I putt exactly like he does and it save my game. I'd went from a 4 handicap to struggling to break 80 because I was averaging over 36 putts a round. I went all in on this technique ... Except I'm 6-5 and old, so I kept my putter at 35 inches(a Cleveland HB1), added a Ping counterbalance grip (I think approx 15 inches long) and don't vary my hand position according to length of putt. I'm back to low to mid 70s consistently, and have never been better inside 4 feet.

https://www.paultrev...ing-method.html

I didn't buy his book ... But I putt exactly like he does and it save my game. I'd went from a 4 handicap to struggling to break 80 because I was averaging over 36 putts a round. I went all in on this technique ... Except I'm 6-5 and old, so I kept my putter at 35 inches(a Cleveland HB1), added a Ping counterbalance grip (I think approx 15 inches long) and don't vary my hand position according to length of putt. I'm back to low to mid 70s consistently, and have never been better inside 4 feet.

Trevillion looks nothing but golfer. LOL

Do you putt this way in all distance? Is your back ok from this crane stance?

Thanx for the articles and video.

LOL this dude looks like an actual crackhead. .... but like.. a cowboy who did crack.

But in all seriousness.. that mega crouched over stance reminds me of a lottttt of guys from the 70s. Those dudes could have putt with a twig and still had <30 putts. It just looks so horribly uncomfortable. Not to mention if you still suck while putting this way you're going to get a lot of odd looks (probably while you aren't looking...).

https://www.paultrev...ing-method.html

Trevillion looks nothing but golfer. LOL

Do you putt this way in all distance? Is your back ok from this crane stance?

Thanx for the articles and video.

Trevillion didn't like golf ... But he can putt.

I tried the 29 inch putter and it was too hard on my back, but I'm 6-5 ... I use a 35 inch putter, but I'm still plenty bent over.

I know it looks odd, but it's insanely easy to get - and keep - the putter head on line, no matter the distance.

Tried to paint brush grip yesterday.. Wasn't feeling it. Missed 3 pretty easy putts on the front nine. Switched back to my more normal grip (like Brooks Koepka, bottom finger extended) and had about 5 less putts on the back 9. Managed to shoot a back nine 42, but it wasn't enough to get me into the 80s after a horrible front 9. Shot 91 with 36 putts...3 putted the 18th for a bogey 6 which was mildly infuriating. Got up and down 2 times which was a nice feeling but things just weren't going my way at all. Pretty cold, windy day made it a bit tougher.

What's discouraging is even if I work on my short game around the greens... knowing I'm about 50% from 4 feet putts so much pressure on me to really stick things close. I reallyyyyy need to get this putting thing under control.

A good short game.

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0