Switching Ball for colder weather.

blehnhard

I am a Pro V1x player. Scratch golfer with a driver SS of mid 90's. Got about $50 GC to spend in golf shop and looking to maybe experiment with a different ball for colder weather.

Still want some favorable short game spin characteristics (don't expect as much as the Pro V1x), but maybe some increased long game distance during the winter.

Looking for any and all recommendations.

Current drive is 917 D2 9.5 with Diamana Red S tipped 1/2 inch. Should have in within a couple of weeks Srixon Z785 with HZRDUS Red in stiff. My son with SS in low 100's is getting 15 to 20 yds more off the tee with this driver (HZRDUS Yellow S) than with his 915 D3 with same shaft. I would settle for half that many yards increase.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's that time of the year.

I used to play the same golf ball year round, but, finding the low compression golf balls much friendly in the cold Winter days.

Any good 2/3 piece golf ball will be a good choice, just need to adapt to the greenside behavior. One guy I played with love the Srixon Super Soft. Another love the DUO Urethane.

Me, Anything under 80 compression is good to go since the wet condition in the Winter usually don't need a lot of ball spin in and around the greens. A high spinning golf ball probably will perform less than ideal for the bounce and release. I tend to use one type of golf ball for the Winter since there won;t be a guessing game what the golf ball will do under the circumstance.

Most balls spin similarly enough now a days off the driver, that you won't be gaining 15-20 yards all else equal. However, you will lose significant spin around the greens going to a "distance" ball.

Where the real difference comes in are full shots off your irons and wedges. You can gain some decent distance back with a ball like Supersoft or QST, but again... don't expect your ball to check check stop on those short little 30 yard pitches like it will using a ProV.

Srixon QST, Cally Supersoft (VERY underrated), Srixon Soft Feel (even more grossly underrated), Vice Pro Soft, Wilson Duo U (I think this ball was made for cooler weather honestly), and TM Project A all come to mind. The Supersoft and Soft Feel have Surlyn covers, but the others all have urethane covers, however all perform very similarly around the greens.

TaylorMade M3 w/HZRDUS Yellow stiff
TaylorMade M4 Tour 3 wood w/HZRDUS Red stiff
TaylorMade M3 2 hybrid (set to 19*) w/HZRDUS Black stiff
Srixon U65 4i Miyazaki Stiff
Srixon 765 5-PW Modus 120 Stiff
Cleveland RTX 3.0 50*, 54*, and 58* KBS 61
TaylorMade Spider Black

Gameball: Vice Pro Plus, Srixon Q Star Tour

I’ve never understood why people do this. This has been discussed in a million threads.

Find a ball you love and Play the same ball.....ALWAYS. Golf is all about consistency. Changing balls on a whim is foolish. Your ball is important.

From a performance Standpoint there is absolutely no reason to change in cold weather. Not compression, not distance, not spin. No reason.

I take that back. If you don’t post scores in the winter and you don’t care as much about your score perhaps you don’t want to tear up $4 dollar Pro v’s.

I personally will never spend more than $2 bucks on a golf ball so that reason is irrelevant to me. I bought 20 dozen Srixon XV’s for $20 a dozen and I will use those until they are gone in a couple years. I will surely buy another 20 dozen of next years edition when they go on sale next spring.

I’ve never understood why people do this. This has been discussed in a million threads.

Find a ball you love and Play the same ball.....ALWAYS. Golf is all about consistency. Changing balls on a whim is foolish. Your ball is important.

From a performance Standpoint there is absolutely no reason to change in cold weather. Not compression, not distance, not spin. No reason.

I take that back. If you don’t post scores in the winter and you don’t care as much about your score perhaps you don’t want to tear up $4 dollar Pro v’s.

I personally will never spend more than $2 bucks on a golf ball so that reason is irrelevant to me. I bought 20 dozen Srixon XV’s for $20 a dozen and I will use those until they are gone in a couple years. I will surely buy another 20 dozen of next years edition when they go on sale next spring.

And I don't understand this. There are plenty of resons to change golf balls during the winter. For me, I like a soft feeling ball and when the temps are in the 50's and below a ball with 90+ compression feels like a rock to me. Also, living in the PNW over half the year is played under soft conditions where a high spinning urethane ball is not needed. Most of the guys I play with use urethane year round and my 2/3 piece non urethane ball sits right where it landed under soft conditions. It often takes them time to adjust their short game as the urethane ball really bites on the soft greens and they often come up shorter than under firmer conditions.

Cost may also be a factor for many people. I play the TF D2 Feel and other random found balls throughout the late fall and winter. Doing this will keep me at .50 a ball or less for at least half of the year. Between leaves and some extremely soft places on the course, I will lose far more balls than any other time of the year.

Looking back at my low rounds for the current year (+2,3,4), they have been shot with at least 3-4 different balls.

And I don't understand this. There are plenty of resons to change golf balls during the winter. For me, I like a soft feeling ball and when the temps are in the 50's and below a ball with 90+ compression feels like a rock to me. Also, living in the PNW over half the year is played under soft conditions where a high spinning urethane ball is not needed. Most of the guys I play with use urethane year round and my 2/3 piece non urethane ball sits right where it landed under soft conditions. It often takes them time to adjust their short game as the urethane ball really bites on the soft greens and they often come up shorter than under firmer conditions.

Cost may also be a factor for many people. I play the TF D2 Feel and other random found balls throughout the late fall and winter. Doing this will keep me at .50 a ball or less for at least half of the year. Between leaves and some extremely soft places on the course, I will lose far more balls than any other time of the year.

Looking back at my low rounds for the current year (+2,3,4), they have been shot with at least 3-4 different balls.

Certainly play whatever makes you happy but changing balls because it’s cold and wet out is not something a low handicap player, competitive amatuer, or pro would ever do. It’s like changing golf clubs because the weather changed. It Doesn’t happen.

It’s 45 and rainy out. Does Rory or tiger change balls? Never. A college golfer? Never. The club champion at your private club? No.. The guy that won the city amatuer? Nope. Using a particular ball is as important as using a particular wedge or driver. You know what it does. You know how your ball checks up. You know how your ball reacts in different temperatures. How much distance you lose for every 10 degrees the temp drops. You know how it feels putting.

If none of that makes sense to anyone reading it, then it doesn’t matter if you change on a whim. I know some people change balls every time a new ball comes out or every time one goes on sale. I think that’s 100% insane, but I’ve been playing 35 years and I’ve been as low as a +2 in my life. I’m still pretty darn good and I feel truly knowing your ball and committing to a ball is critical to good scoring.

If you aren’t at a certain level of play to deeply appreciate the nuances of what different balls do, then it’s really irrelevant. Use any ball you like. That’s certainly not meant to be an insult. Many, many, many people use “tour quality” urethane balls and shouldn’t.. Sooooooooo many people are pissing their money away on ProV’s and TP5’s and Chrome softs and have no earthly reason to be playing them.

Once you get to a certain level of play you won’t change balls on a whim. I promise. Until then, at least try and stay with balls that are very similar to each other.

Certainly play whatever makes you happy but changing balls because it’s cold and wet out is not something a low handicap player, competitive amatuer, or pro would ever do. It’s like changing golf clubs because the weather changed. It Doesn’t happen.

It’s 45 and rainy out. Does Rory or tiger change balls? Never. A college golfer? Never. The club champion at your private club? No.. The guy that won the city amatuer? Nope. Using a particular ball is as important as using a particular wedge or driver. You know what it does. You know how your ball checks up. You know how your ball reacts in different temperatures. How much distance you lose for every 10 degrees the temp drops. You know how it feels putting.

If none of that makes sense to anyone reading it, then it doesn’t matter if you change on a whim. I know some people change balls every time a new ball comes out or every time one goes on sale. I think that’s 100% insane, but I’ve been playing 35 years and I’ve been as low as a +2 in my life. I’m still pretty darn good and I feel truly knowing your ball and committing to a ball is critical to good scoring.

If you aren’t at a certain level of play to deeply appreciate the nuances of what different balls do, then it’s really irrelevant. Use any ball you like. That’s certainly not meant to be an insult. Many, many, many people use “tour quality” urethane balls and shouldn’t.. Sooooooooo many people are pissing their money away on ProV’s and TP5’s and Chrome softs and have no earthly reason to be playing them.

Once you get to a certain level of play you won’t change balls on a whim. I promise. Until then, at least try and stay with balls that are very similar to each other.

And that's that! Well said! A very eloquent and well structured explanation.

TM SIM2 Max Driver

TM SIM2 Max 3 & 5

PXG 0311 XF Gen 1 4-W 

Titleist SM8 Black Wedges 48-54-58

Srixon Q-Star Tour 
2009 Custom Scotty Cameron Welded Neck 009 35/330g (with a slap of lead tape for sauciness)
“Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”

I guess if you consider changing your ball to adapt to outside temperatures you might just still be looking for “€œyour  ball. Just another reason to fiddle with it.

Once you’€™€™€™ve tried enough balls to settle on one truly for it€™s performance, you’d probably not even start thinking about a weather related change.

I know I’€™€™ve not found mine yet, so I can relate.

WITB 2024

Dr Mizuno ST-Z

3W Cally Rogue ST Max

5W Mizuno ST-Z

4H New Level NLH-01

5/6i New Level 902 OS

7i-PW New Level 902 PD

GW/SW/LW  Mizuno S23

Putter Odyssey WhiteHot OG 2-Ball

Ball  Vice Pro/Snell MTB Prime

Feel is very important to me. It's part of the game I enjoy. So, a firm ball in the winter, is too hard. I like choosing a ball based on temperature.

I just don’t like losing brand new balls in the leaves at my home course. Hard enough during the summer with how they keep the rough and lots of woods surrounding the course.

Sub 50°, I switch from the TPX to the Project A.

Taylormade Sim2 10.5° (turned down to 9°) - Tensei White 60 stiff

Ping G400 3 and 5 Woods - Diamana D+ Limited 70 stiff

Ping G400 22° Hybrid - Diamana D+ 90 Stiff

Ping i200 5-UW - Modus Tour 105 stiff

Vokey SM4 54° and 58° - DGS-300

Cameron Special Select Newport 2

I had been using Gamer Softs all year but switched to Q Star Tours when the GS was discontinued. When the weather drops and leaves litter the courses here in North Texas, I’ll go back into GS since I still have 5 dozen left.

If I didn’t have those, I’d switch to Top Flite D2 Feels...they’re excellent cold weather balls and a great value.

Taylormade SIM MAX driver 10.5 Ventus R
Taylormade SIM MAX 3w 15 Ventus R
Taylormade SIM MAX 5w 18 Ventus R
Taylormade SIM MAX 4h 22 Ventus R
PXG 0211 5-LW
Taylormade Spider X Chalk
OUUL Gator cart bag

I would happily play the TP5 all year long, it's by far my favourite ball and I know how it's going to react.

However. it gets very wet at our course in winter and you can lose a ball in the middle of the fairway because it's plugged. So once our winter league starts (Nov-end March) I switch to any old ball in the bag. No point using decent balls when they can easily just vanish and the greens are so soft that everything stops and spins back. I try to stick to old pro v1s or TP5s, but if they run out then any ball is game!

Titleist TSR2 10 Hzrdus Red CB
Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei Blue

Ping G 17.5 set at 18.5 Ping tour shaft.
Titleist TS3 hybrid 21 Hzrdus smoke
Taylormade 2023 p790 5-PW kbs tour lite
Vokey SM9 50°/12° SM8 56°/14° and SM9 60°/10°
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport two
Titleist Pro V1

[i]Remember there are no pictures on a scorecard, only a number. [/i]

I play Wilson 50/50 elite. They still work well for me and they’re cheap enough I don’t mind losing them in the leaves. Then in the spring I use the leftovers from the fall until it warms up

Driver- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

4H- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699U 21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges - Sub 70 286 50+54 degree

Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach #11

Love the Wilson Duo and Duo Urethane...and like the Cally Supersoft also. In the past I've wanted Chrome Soft to be my ball, but I could never like them. But the new CSX is working really well for me, so just bought a pack of Chrome Softs. They may supplant Duo U as my winter ball (and like the Truvis for the winter).

Love the Wilson Duo and Duo Urethane...and like the Cally Supersoft also. In the past I've wanted Chrome Soft to be my ball, but I could never like them. But the new CSX is working really well for me, so just bought a pack of Chrome Softs. They may supplant Duo U as my winter ball (and like the Truvis for the winter).

I played the new Chrome Softs yesterday, and have decided that I'm just done with them. I've wasted more money on these balls over the years trying to like them, and I really thought the newest version with the graphene would be the difference maker. It has corrected one of its major issues IMO...it did not balloon off the driver anymore. Was a nice high flight but kept moving forward. I hit some really nice drives. It has always been long off the irons for me, and yesterday was no exception. And I love the soft feel. But the ball has one major issue for me that I just can't overcome. I can't get it to bite around the greens, or off of wedges. It just rolls out. I guess I could rethink my strategy with chips and pitches and wedges, but I can get CSX, ProV1, Z-star, Duo U etc to check up nicely. I'm just used to playing a ball that checks when I'm inside 120 yards. Hell, for that matter, I've hit towering 4 irons that checked within a yard or two of their landing spot. But not the Chrome Soft.

Oh well, to each his own. I guess this winter I will either play ProV1 or KSig (since I have a bunch of them) and am done with the Chrome Soft forever (but I do like the CSX).

Well today I got out and played 18 and used the Maxflit Softfli in orange. The weather was about 52 degrees and wind was about 8-10 mph, pretty sunny though. Here in Michigan, that is great weather this time of year.

Anyway, I liked that ball. Very easy to see, it really felt great off all clubs and putter! Driving good and some very nice irons shots into the green with the mid to long irons and the ball going no more than like 3-4 feet past the pitch mark. I was kinda shocked at that as well as with some chips shots that checked pretty good and I am not a big spin player (well, except for the driver)!

Me and a buddy were playing and I swear it was harder following and finding his white golf ball than it was this orange one! He eventually switched to a lime green colored one! :)

Well today I got out and played 18 and used the Maxflit Softfli in orange. The weather was about 52 degrees and wind was about 8-10 mph, pretty sunny though. Here in Michigan, that is great weather this time of year.

Anyway, I liked that ball. Very easy to see, it really felt great off all clubs and putter! Driving good and some very nice irons shots into the green with the mid to long irons and the ball going no more than like 3-4 feet past the pitch mark. I was kinda shocked at that as well as with some chips shots that checked pretty good and I am not a big spin player (well, except for the driver)!

Me and a buddy were playing and I swear it was harder following and finding his white golf ball than it was this orange one! He eventually switched to a lime green colored one! :)

I always felt they were too soft. But, I guess in very cold weather they are ok and especially for the money.

I always felt they were too soft. But, I guess in very cold weather they are ok and especially for the money.

I agree that they are soft especially in the summer but felt good today in the cooler temp!