2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

End of season thoughts

Lancj1

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had an absolutely fantastic season! In June of 17 I had surgery for prostate cancer. In June 18 I was 100% cancer free. By the way, the golf has been pretty good,too!

I played very little compared to recent years, but you’ve offered perspective and wisdom....thanks for that!!!

Thankfully it’s not the end of the season for me, as my home course is a heathland course that can cope with most conditions that’ll be thrown at us this coming winter (please don’t snow too much!)

But it has been a very different 2018 than I had been planning for.

First of all, all the members at my old club found out in February that the owner of our club was pretty much evicting the management without having any plans in place for anyone else to takeover (or indeed understanding that 90% of the equipment belonged to them, and not the golf club) so that all the members (220 or so) left to join other clubs at the end of March.

Then we’ve had this ridiculously dry, hot summer in the UK which meant having to learn an entirely new way of playing golf, and it definitely took a while to go from a parkland course to a very dry heathland course, so the handicap initially went up from 10.7 back up to 12, before settling back to 11.

Then came a massive and hopefully long lasting equipment change, going from Ping G Irons & an Epic Driver to an all new bag, consisting of Ping G400 Max Driver, G400 3 crossover, I500 irons (4-PW) and Glide 2.0 wedges along with an Evnroll Putter about 6 weeks ago which has led to a sustained period of better performances culminating in a ridiculous round of 72 (8 under my h/c) and a cut to 9.0. Now I’m waiting for the results of yesterday’s competition to see if I’m getting cut to 8!

So after all, it’s been a good year but I’m looking forward to some stability in 2019!

Wow, that was a long post

I have had an absolutely fantastic season! In June of 17 I had surgery for prostate cancer. In June 18 I was 100% cancer free. By the way, the golf has been pretty good,too!

I played very little compared to recent years, but you’ve offered perspective and wisdom....thanks for that!!!

Sounds like me. A previous injury conspired to keep me off the course this season. When I did play it was a struggle.

What I have learned is that this game (or any other activity for that matter) is more about participating for the love of the game and the camaraderie than any expectations of performance. I think we lose sight of that quite often as we strive to improve.

I'm hopeful that next year I will be able to return to more frequent play and be able to enjoy being out on the course once again.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

1. As a 4-6 handicap I could get better if I committed to better iron play, particular working on 150-200 yard shots.

2. I need to re-adopt a mindset I had 10 years ago when I was 10 handicap—commit to focusing on one thing and expect it to take a full season to take hold, which is really a way of saying to myself that I need to be patient.

Ping G25 @ 9degrees/TFC 189D stiff
Callaway XHot2 pro/13.5 degrees/Aldila TG stiff
Titleist 913H/19 degrees/Aldila TG stiff
Ping s55/4-W/KBS Tour R+ [ .5 long]
Glide 50 w. Wrx grind
Vokey SM5 54-10/S grind
Vokey SM4 60-04
Scotty Cameron California Monterrey

The internal battle this game provides is simply intoxicating.

half top a 3w on a short par4, then lace a hybrid to 4ft, next hole, pummel a drive down the throat then lay the sod over on a 70 yd wedge.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T150 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Toulon Portland Garage 
ProV1x

Played about the same as I did last year. Still can't chip or putt but unlikely to change as I hate practicing- and so does my back.

Rogue ST Max Graphite Design MAD
Rogue 3HL and 7 wood
Sub 70 4/5/6 949x Hybrid
Sub 70 699 Pro Black 7-GW Recoil 680 F4
Sub 70 JB Forged Wedges 54/58

Odyssey EXO Seven Slant

Thankfully it's not the end of the season for me, as my home course is a heathland course that can cope with most conditions that'll be thrown at us this coming winter (please don't snow too much!)

Well that and your location tells me all I need to know :)

Your previous club was never really kept up to a good standard. I suppose they tried but we always used to joke that the fairways were like the light rough everywhere else. I really liked the layout and wish I'd had a chance to play it when all 27 holes were open. It was damn' shame when it closed. Although it now claims to be open 'Wednesday to Sunday' me and my mate have never dared to visit this year. I definitely miss it :(

Your new club is the first proper course I ever played at. I'll always remember standing on the first tee and thinking how impossible it would be to miss the fairway. Ha ha ha. For what it's worth Rye will normally get through winter fine but a few holes (the 15th in particular and the 16th up near the green) will be verging on swamp like. Oddly it's suffered from the weather more in recent years. Don't know if it's changing weather patterns or not but it seems to have issues like others around here now,

My mate and I were going to play Kirtlington (my favourite course) today but obviously that's been scrubbed. Not that we're complaining - the courses need the rain.

Andrue, you were correct on the first bit, but my new course is the one next door!

Ah. That actually seems a more sensible choice. I wondered why so many had gone to Rye because it's a big change from where they were. Not as attractive either. I've only played Tad once in over ten years of playing golf. I've never had a particularly enthusiastic response when trying to book a tee as a visitor. Twice I was told they couldn't guarantee my tee time as members had priority :-/

From what I remember it was quite a nice course. I do smile a bit when I play the 11th at Rye though. On the other side of the hedge there is (or was when I played) a large sign asking you lot to shout fore if you hit a big slice towards us. Over on the Rye side there's no equivalent sign :)

I'm never going to go consistently low unless I stop being a Ho. I've ho'ed less this year, the irons are a year old, the hybrids and wedges are all antique by my usual standards. The driver is one round old but I have great hopes for it and the putter that I used all year will be replaced by a new Scotty in a couple of months (thanks SC).

I need to improve my consistency with the big dog. This was never shown to be more true than when I played Silloth on a windy September day when I barely hit a fairway and lost more balls than I can count.

I am currently working on grip and swing changes that will, hopefully, not just improve my driving but my whole tee to green game.

I need to develop a 40/50 yard pitch that I can depend upon, one that I don't shank under pressure.

Despite the negatives it has been a good season. My average score has been 78 off a 9 handicap that dropped to 8 for a couple of weeks. I won next to nothing, but with the swing changes and the continuity with the equipment then I can look forward to next year and all the new challenges.

Mizuno ST-X 220 10.5 Aldila Ascent Stiff

Mizuno ST230 16*  UST LINQ

Mizuno JPX Fli_HI #4 20* UST Recoil F3

Mizuno JPX Fli_HI #5 22.5* UST Recoil F3

Mizuno MP 5 5- PW TTDG 95 stiff

Mizuno T22 50 KBS $ Taper Lite
Mizuno T22 56 KBS $ Taper Lite
Mizuno M Craft OMOI #1

...had fun. Now looking forward to hopefully a couple more rounds of fall golf and then hopeful for a snowy winter.

giphy.gif

I'm with you. Woke up to about 3 inches of snow that looks to be about 6 now on my balcony.

Played in 2 Member-Guests and 2 Club Championships. Won 1 of each which was nice, but nothing to brag about in the other two. Consistent results, but no wins in Men's League and t3 in Match Play.

Focus is moving to skiing, but will still putt indoors and hope to be motivated enough to do some golf related exercise. Might look into Drive 400 and/or Tour Tempo to try to up the game next season.

My best season to date for many reasons:

-played 113 rounds and counting so far

-dropped my handicap to single digits

-finished second place in my work golf league (came down to the last hole of the championship)

-fought my way out of a month long case of the shanks...they would pop out of nowhere a few times a round and totally butcher any momentum and confidence I had going

My main takeaway from this year is that if you put in an effort to practice (on any part of your game) , you will see improvement. It’s just a matter of staying committed to the change you are trying to make. Put in the time to practice, create confidence, create feel that will translate to the course during your rounds

Worst season ever. Finally retired so I can’t use “not playing enough “ played more this year than I have in many years. Distance is a real challenge now. Thinking about getting a fitting and spending the winter retooling. Been playing 50 years and am very disappointed in my game. Used to compete with my buddies now feel embarrassed that I’m 15 shots above them.

Still love to get out there but usually by the end of the day can’t wait to get it over with.

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of light, it was the season of darkness, it was the spring of hope, we had everything before us, and despite adding the new irons, the fancy McKensie bag, the copperfit wrist bands, the new shirts, the water resistant shoes, the lessons, the handmade Seamus club covers, the new membership, the 11 new hats, the additional time at the range, the performance socks, the small wire brush, the new tees, the three extra towels, the upgraded grips, the newly added trap-draw, the hours of youtube videos, the best GPS money can buy, the many books and articles and the counsel of members at WRX......... the game improved not.

Typical year for me. For 2 weeks breaking 70 is no big deal. Then spend 2 weeks fighting tooth and nail to card 83. Pretty much goes back and forth all year like that. Strange thing is i can literally wake up and know if its switched without even looking at a club.

I have finally decided MI golf season is not NEARLY long enough and actually going to make the move south to solve this problem in the upcoming month.

Roller coaster season for me, especially as I'd sold all my clubs by this time last season having struggled towards the end. Totally lost the ability to hit a ball of any kind.

So November to March was spent with a coach and a sports pyschologist to work on things and get to the bottom of why I could literally beat anyone one day and would be threatening triple digits the next. That's far too much of a variance to be normal.

So what are my thoughts? Well I had 3 wins, got a regional final tomorrow which will be a new experience and I've settled my expenditure down as I have full confidence in my set up. So here goes:

1) A round is never over until you sign your score card. First medal of the year 52 out, 38 in. I almost walked off after 9 it was that bad.

2) Pitching from 20-110 yards is key. Previously I'd always try and hit full shots without thinking about the consequences. Now I have a repeatable shot & trajectory for every yardage within that bracket and it has really separated me from the others.

3) Woods are not the be all and end all. This was the season I dedicated a lot of time to long irons (2-4) and it's paid off in the latter half of the season. I find them very easy to control and more predictable in terms of results. Previously I'd always hit a wood or hybrid second shot and hope for the best.

4) Putting is still king. Sounds obvious but I've two putted the majority of the season and it really is the difference between a good score and a cricket score.

5) Believe. I've walked onto the course last twice telling myself I'm going to get cut and I have. It's focused me on the shot at hand, not taking any risks and relying on my short game if required. When you do what you set out to do it validates the time and hard work out in during the winter months. Two cuts, two wins to end the season. 3 in total.

It's such a frustrating game but I've shown myself it can be really deadly simple. So I'll be back next season for more.

Thanks for the write-up. Just for some context, what’s your handicap? Can you clarify #5 a bit?

Reminder that fall golf has some upsides.

we're still playing.

frost delays allow for breakfast between range and the front nine.

multiple layers and winter gloves require a controlled three quarter swing.

all too soon the courses here will shut down due to lower temps and impending snows.

then the watch begins.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

Overall, it was a solid year. I got in 80 rounds and will probably squeeze in another 10 before the year is over. I shot a career low (67) and had several other rounds at or near par. Here's what I learned:

1. Putting is still the difference between a good score and a great score. No matter how much better my ball striking gets, the flat stick still makes or breaks rounds.

2. C-taper 120s are the right iron shaft for me. It's different for everyone but either get fit or demo every available option.

3. Wedge play around the greens was hit or miss in the past. This year, I was able to save par the majority of the time. I call that a win.

4. If the driver isn't working, don't force things. Just hit three wood and take driver back to the range.

5. Gym memberships are amazing. I can walk 36 holes and my legs feel extremely fresh, the ball goes further, and my doctor stops yelling at me.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

In AZ we don’t really have traditional seasons, but I do consider this time of year my “off-season.” I’ll keep playing but instead of 2-3 rounds a week I’ll scale back to one or maybe two now and then. I know those of you in the north are cursing me right now. Much of it has to do with mindset too as I don’t approach my rounds the same way. Anyway, I’ve come to really look forward to tournaments, which, even in Arizona are during the spring and summer. Playing on the weekends is still fun but the high isn’t quite the same.

I had two significant accomplishments (for lack of a better word) this year. As my season closed, which was technically following my last tournament, the Mid-Am qualifier, I got my handicap back into the + for the first time in six years. I’m now all the way down to a +1.5. Perhaps even more importantly, I got at least somewhat over the tournament jitters. I played US Am qualifying at my home course this year and found myself extremely comfortable. I didn’t qualify but I totally held my own against much younger D1 college players, and for that I was proud. When I played in Mid-Am qualifying the next month I was equally as comfortable and finished in the top third of the field. Again, I didn’t qualify but I now know with absolute certainty that I belong in those types of settings.

All that said, I love the fall and winter (absolutely sublime in AZ) but there’s definitely a small part of me looking forward to tourment season next year.

In the Hoofer

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke 🔹🔹🔹 10.5° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 6-X
TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 15° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 7-X
TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 19° | Mitsubishi TENSEI CK Pro White 70 S

Mizuno Pro 221 4-PW | Project X Rifle 6.0

Titleist Vokey SM9 52°, 56°, 60° | Project X Rifle 6.0

Odyssey Ai-ONE Seven CH | KBS CT Tour
Titleist ProV1

My question for the season is "Am I disabled??"

Started working with a golf academy two seasons ago when I was an 11.7 index. Really wanted to get down to a single digit for the first time ever. Here I stand today at 15.3. Played in two invites this year and just sucked the place up. The new swing just wasn't working for me. Maybe to many swing thoughts, but I needed to make a change. Fast forward to the past three weeks and I started playing my best golf of the year. Of course we are down to weeks, not months left in the season but thats ok. I will take any glimmer of hope. The game plan this winter is to head south as often as possible and keep playing throughout the winter. Living in the north is hard on a golf game. I swear you have to relearn the game every spring.

Played three sets of irons this year. It’s been a just avg year of playing by Jack Pearsall. Some good 9s but nothing stellar

And all muddled by a dreary lack of focus and some bad practice habits. A below avg level of conditioning - tho his hair looked marvelous - and his putting was unfocused. There were few rounds he was thoroughly in it,or sharply focused. Gear transition was not completed. Irons, wedges and putter remain blurry new acquisitions. Drove well. Three wood was solid. Everything else spotty. Maybe when it rains he will play better. Maybe not.

Taylormade M5 Tour 10.5* 

Taylormade 300 Series 15*

Taylormade Sim2 Max 18*

Titleist 818H2  21*

Titleist 718 TMB 4 24*

Titleist 718 AP2  5-PW

Mizuno T20  54*   58*

Taylormade Spider GT  #3

End of season thoughts:

What is an end of season?

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

This season has been very strange. Very up-and-down type of season. One day I'd play great, shoot in the high 70's/low 80's, swing feels great. Next day, same course, feels as though it's my first day playing golf and I don't break 90. I've shot as low as 72 this season, but also as high as 96. I only had 7 rounds in the 70's this season, down from 16 rounds in 2017. And I went up to 15 rounds in the 90's, up from 6 in 2017.

My handicap is back to about where it started for the season (8.5), so that's good. It was as high as 11 a couple months ago.

My average putts/round went down to 31.45, down from 32.47 last year. Putting is one area where I felt I did really well this year. Though part of that number may be because I was likely scrambling a lot more.

Both my FW hit% and GIR% went down this year. I've got to get better.

I am excited for 2019 though. Just joined a new fully private club that's located 3 minutes from my house. And 4 of my friends have joined with me. My wife is even excited about being a member. Also bought a new MotoCaddy power push cart, so I'll be walking a lot more. Gonna spend the next few winter months working on my flexibility and strength in the gym to get ready.

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

Here in KC the season doesn't really "end" per-say, just able to play less frequently. That said, league play has ended, and my last tourney is this weekend.

My goals at the beginning of the year:

1. Get to a single digit handicap: Check

2. Keep the driver on the property more often: Check

3. Break 80: Check

4. Shoot par or under on 9 holes: Check

5. Shoot Par or under on 18 holes: Nope

6. Compete in club championship: Check

7. Crack the top 10 in club championship: Check

8. Make the final group in the club championship: Nope

This was really my first full season of golf that I competed and attempted to get better. I have played most of my life, but just for fun as a kid, and to drink beer after a certain age. Heard enough people tell me that I have so much potential due to length, so I wanted to see where I can get. I came a long way this year form a 12 handi to a 7 (even dabbling in the 6s at one point). My biggest jumps have come from keeping the driver in play, getting better with the wedge around the green. I still need to improve in a lot of areas, but especially putting. Instead of being abysmal this year, it improved to streaky (at best). I am starting to realized that the lower the handicap gets, the harder it is to get lower, and I have likely maxed out my practice/play time. Will need to be more efficient during practice sessions to improve.

Goals for the 2018-2019 wrap around season:

1. Take the handicap from 7 to sub 5

2. Shoot an 18 hole round at or under par

3. Drastically improve putting- get fitted to make sure current putter is the right one

4. Become more consistent with approaches to green

5. Crack the final group in Club Championship

6. Win Klemme 3 man

7. Win a local Amateur Tourney

8. Make League Playoffs

I too play in Az and the October overseed in the deserts make me take stock as the bermuda season winds down.

I switched drivers this year for the first time in 4 or 5 years from a TEE 12 deg (first gen 460 cc head) to a Cobra F6+ adjustable after going on trackman and realizing at 100 mpf my only gains would be roll related. I made the switch primarily because I can fade the Cobra easier than the TEE which helps me on some holes.

The biggest issue going forward is my golf ball. I have played the Gamer soft since Jan. '15 and now DSG is no longer making it. After 11 different ball replacement auditions- see my write up on the Srixon Soft Feel- the 11th version of that ball will be in the bag to start the overseed season here. The GS was the best ball I ever played for my game. I am an outlier as a +2 playing a surlyn ball but the newer low compression versions have been perfect for me.

The other big club changes this year were a square strike chipping component 56 wedge which saves many strokes on matted,muddy, dormant bermuda lies on the munis I play and the addition of a 3wd. So depending on the course I use a combination of driver,3,4,and 5 wd, 4hyb,5 hyb, 6-pw, gw,sw,chpper. I joined a 50+ club this year and playing from the regular tees changes some of the strategies since I can reach some par5s in 2 again.

My short game consistency has suffered some due to all the ball auditions and my 3 putting has been too high this year. Now that I have a ball decision I will work on that part of the game more since so much of my scoring is 50 yards and in. Advice for the higher HCP players out there. Pick one ball and stay with it. If you chip and putt before you tee it up use your ball only never range balls. Get all the repetition feedback you can from the ball you are going to play. And always throw clubs forward...