Anyone else sticking with their 917/15/any previous Titleist model of the TS2/3?

skeets1987

I bought a TS3 last Friday and whilst it is nice I probably prefer my M4.

Both 8.5 degrees and tried the same shafts although I bought it with the Evenflow White.

I'll give it a couple of rounds but good chance I will stay with the M4.

I've not gamed a Titleist driver since the 983E and K heads but this does seem much better and with low spin.

TaylorMade M2 (2016) 9.5* (2* lower) HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5
TaylorMade M1 15* Tensei CK Pro White 80X or
Taylor Made tour issue M2 T3 Ozik Matrix 8M3 X

TaylorMade Rsi TP 3-PW (1.5* strong) NS-Pro MOdus 3 tour130 X
Callaway MD 3 48 bent to 50 KBS 610 S+
Callaway MD 3 52 bent to 54 [size=4]KBS 610 S+[/size]
Callaway MD 2 58 [size=4]KBS 610 S+[/size]

Odyssey 2-ball Pro-Type milled face putter.

Tour Preferred X or TP5x ball.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to a Titleist Thursday event today and my results were really good. I’ll start by saying I'm not properly fit for my current setups, but I put a Motore TS 7.2 in my 917 D3 S driver and the same shaft in my 915 F 16.5 but in Xstiff. Not sure if they’re ideal, but the performance on the course has been good. I’ve recently noticed that the weight and flex has been a little to much for me because I’m getting older and only get to play once a month.

This was only a 45 minute fitting, so I don’t have all the numbers. We were on a range with Trackman and ProV1X balls. I’m going off of memory and what the fitter was telling me after each hit.

We started with my 917 D3 Motore 7.2 TS and hit about 5 balls. Averaged around 145 mph BS and carry around 245 yds. I noticed that I have been losing disctance over the years and I use to be around 162 BS back in 2011/2012.

I tried the drivers a few times in the store and preferred the HZRDUS Smoke, so we only went with that shaft. The fitter put together the TS2 9.5 Smoke 60 45” combo and I hit a few. After a couple swings, he said “I’ve never seen this before”. My ball speed went up to 159 mph. We tried a few different settings and even the TS3. He even put together a TS2 8.5 and I got good numbers, but I really had to work at it. The TS2 9.5 Smoke was just easy to hit and consistent. From what I can remember the number averages were.

SS- 109 mph

Launch- 12.5*

Spin- 2,300 rpms

BS- 159 mph

Carry- 265 yds

Distance 275/280 yds.

I had couple that went 290 yds, but those were either ripped or low spin runners.

Next we went to fairway woods and I’ve played 16.5/17 degree fairway woods because I have a steep angle of attack and always had trouble elevating from the turf. We started with my 915 F Motore TS 7.2 XS. I was around 225 carry, but it was high launch.

We started with the TS3 15* Smoke 70 S and it was good, but he wanted to try the TS2 13.5 Smoke 70 S. This it where it got interesting, because I was hitting this off the tee at 245 yds carry and 260 total yds. I told him I would use it primarily as a tee club, but I hit some off the deck and it was easy to elevate and I was getting similar numbers as off the tee. Final number averages were 245 carry and 260 yds total.

Next we went to the TS 2 16.5 and 18 fairways. The T2 16.5* Smoke 70 S was around 235 carry and the 18* was around 215 carry, so we decided on the following. Moving the 16.5* to 17* to fills the gaps.

Needless to say, I’m ordering the following:

TS 2 9.5 Smoke 60 44.5

TS 13.5 Smoke 70

TS 16.5 Smoke 70

I have hit multiple models and shaft combinations and I just can't seem to find anything that's been as reliable and consistent as my 917D3/F3. I'm sure I will keep tinkering but averaging 10-12 fairways around at around 285-300 consistently doesn't have me in a huge rush to change. And I seem to be more comfortable with the 440cc head. Just me though.

913D3... I hit it straight and about 230 carry with a 97-99 mph SS. Maybe I could gain a few more yards with something new, but I'd rather save $500 right now and keep playing to my 4 hcp. Because when it is all said and done it really is about lowering our scores right?

Once I quit worrying about the latest and greatest equipment and trusted what I already had in my bag I started playing a lot better! Even picked up my first amateur tournament victory back in August!!

I went to a Titleist Thursday event today and my results were really good. I’ll start by saying I'm not properly fit for my current setups, but I put a Motore TS 7.2 in my 917 D3 S driver and the same shaft in my 915 F 16.5 but in Xstiff. Not sure if they’re ideal, but the performance on the course has been good. I’ve recently noticed that the weight and flex has been a little to much for me because I’m getting older and only get to play once a month.

This was only a 45 minute fitting, so I don’t have all the numbers. We were on a range with Trackman and ProV1X balls. I’m going off of memory and what the fitter was telling me after each hit.

We started with my 917 D3 Motore 7.2 TS and hit about 5 balls. Averaged around 145 mph BS and carry around 245 yds. I noticed that I have been losing disctance over the years and I use to be around 162 BS back in 2011/2012.

I tried the drivers a few times in the store and preferred the HZRDUS Smoke, so we only went with that shaft. The fitter put together the TS2 9.5 Smoke 60 45” combo and I hit a few. After a couple swings, he said “I’ve never seen this before”. My ball speed went up to 159 mph. We tried a few different settings and even the TS3. He even put together a TS2 8.5 and I got good numbers, but I really had to work at it. The TS2 9.5 Smoke was just easy to hit and consistent. From what I can remember the number averages were.

SS- 109 mph

Launch- 12.5*

Spin- 2,300 rpms

BS- 159 mph

Carry- 265 yds

Distance 275/280 yds.

I had couple that went 290 yds, but those were either ripped or low spin runners.

Next we went to fairway woods and I’ve played 16.5/17 degree fairway woods because I have a steep angle of attack and always had trouble elevating from the turf. We started with my 915 F Motore TS 7.2 XS. I was around 225 carry, but it was high launch.

We started with the TS3 15* Smoke 70 S and it was good, but he wanted to try the TS2 13.5 Smoke 70 S. This it where it got interesting, because I was hitting this off the tee at 245 yds carry and 260 total yds. I told him I would use it primarily as a tee club, but I hit some off the deck and it was easy to elevate and I was getting similar numbers as off the tee. Final number averages were 245 carry and 260 yds total.

Next we went to the TS 2 16.5 and 18 fairways. The T2 16.5* Smoke 70 S was around 235 carry and the 18* was around 215 carry, so we decided on the following. Moving the 16.5* to 17* to fills the gaps.

TS 2 9.5 Smoke 60 44.5

TS 13.5 Smoke 70

TS 16.5 Smoke 70

Any chance you hit your 917 with the Smoke shaft?

Rox

2023 in the Bag!

Rogue Max Ls 9°/HZRDUS Gen 4 Black 6.5 70<br  />TSi2 15°/Aldila Green 75X<br/>Epic Flash 21°/Tour Green 75X<br/>Maltby TS1-iM 4-6 iron Modus 115X<br/>

Honma 747V/DG120-S400 7-PW<br/>Jaws 50°, 54° & 58°/DG Tour Issue S400<br/>Scotty Cameron 5.5M<br />Callaway Chrome Soft and
Sun Moutain C130/ClicGear Rovic cart with Alphard E-Wheels V2

Backups:

Bridgestone Tour-B X-CB/DG120 S400 Tour Issue 5-PW

SS- 109 mph

Launch- 12.5*

Spin- 2,300 rpms

BS- 159 mph

Carry- 265 yds

Distance 275/280 yds.

TS 2 9.5 Smoke 60 44.5

TS 13.5 Smoke 70

TS 16.5 Smoke 70

Any chance you hit your 917 with the Smoke shaft?

Rox

I didn’t hit the Smoke with the 917.

I will be sticking with my 917D2 for now but I did love the feel when I hit the TS2 in Golf Galaxy.... Loving the 917D2 w/Whiteboard combo. It just goes straight and I don't want to mess with that as my game is trending in the right direction.

TSR3 Driver/Fairway/Hybrid

2023 T200 (4i - 48*) 

SM10 52F* & 56S*
Newport Select 1.5

-ProV1X

SS- 109 mph

Launch- 12.5*

Spin- 2,300 rpms

BS- 159 mph

Carry- 265 yds

Distance 275/280 yds.

TS 2 9.5 Smoke 60 44.5

TS 13.5 Smoke 70

TS 16.5 Smoke 70

You went from a 74 gram shaft to a 60 gram shaft. It’s no surprise you hit farther. Also going from xs in fairway to stiff was the right move with your swing speed.

PXG Black Ops Tour 1 Fujikura Motore X F3

PXG Black Ops 3 wood hzrdus black

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid hzrdus black

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade  MG 46/52/58wedges

TaylorMade Spider mallet 72 putter

Still playing 913F. I don’t mind the TS Series fairways, but I hated the 915/917 fairways.

Ping G425 Max 10.5* - Diamana D+ Ltd 60TX
Ping G425 Max 16.5* - Diamana D+ Ltd 80TX 
Srixon ZX UT 2/3/4 - KBS C Taper Lite X
Srixon ZX7 5-P - KBS C Taper Lite X
Titleist SM8 Raw 50/54/58 - TI DG S400
Scotty Cameron 2020 Newport 2 

I will be sticking with my 917D2 for now but I did love the feel when I hit the TS2 in Golf Galaxy.... Loving the 917D2 w/Whiteboard combo. It just goes straight and I don't want to mess with that as my game is trending in the right direction.

I'm playing the same combo, 8.5 head, and have never had more confidence with the big stick, I know I have hit other drivers 5-10 yards further but my FIR have been phenomenal for me, gone from 30% to now 50%+. Don't dare try the new ones out.

Another swing and miss for me.

I’ve had the 910 D2 in my bag since it came out and every year I try the new Titlest drivers.

I will say that the TS2 with the Smoke shaft did pit up some good numbers, but nothing close to 500 dollars worth.

My 910, when ripped, goes just as far. The difference is that slight miss hits with the TS2 seemed to stay online better and not lose as much distance.

To be fair, I only hit it indoors and for me my swing when starting at a fairway with a lake on one side and OB on the other just isn’t the same.

I would need to take it out in a real golf environment to really tell how it performs vs the 910.

TS3 on its way after testing this morning, let’s see if the better launch conditions translate to the course.

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Taylormade Stealth Pro
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG3 TW 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x v’s Chrome Tour 

I have a 917 D3 in 8.5, I hit nearly 60 balls in the fitting for the TS2. Started with my driver (which is 44.5") and hit it well, then the TS2 head on my shaft, then into various options. I was fit for TS2 in 8.5 with the Hazardous Smoke in S.

Ball speed, club speed and carry were all up substantially, however I suspect it's almost entirely due to the longer shaft. I've used the new driver once and hit it sideways so I parked it for one round, then put the 917 shaft into the TS2 and have hit that well, but I'm certain it goes no further.

The problem with my golf is there is only one hole I hit driver on! So it's impossible to gauge. We've had our club champs on which play off longer tees so I was able to hit it more often (6 holes!)

curious to hear more input, ive read all the reviews , threads and youtube videos. Ive messed around with the new TS drivers and could not see much difference indoors.

From videos Ive seen they launch higher and spin lower. So if you can launch a 915 or 917 with low spin then it probably isn't worth the upgrade.

Is 500$ worth 5-10 yards?

I saw this thread before this last weekend and didn't think much of it, but I had a chance to play both the TS2 & 3 yesterday and here are my thoughts.

I have a new 915 D3 and FD 3 wood that I recently sourced and just started using them in my rotation, I have a couple of standby drivers that I'll switch to on occasion. Both 915's have a higher hit sound than my previous 913's and 910's but the flight is better on the 915's. When I hit the TS3 is sounded the same as my 915, high pitch ting at impact, ball flight the same (915 Aldila Rogue 70s vs TS3 Hazrdus 6.0 65g Stiff on both) and distance pretty much the same, I mean one of my shoes difference, I wear a size 12. Same spot in the fairway.

I then hit the TS2 (Even Flow Project x 6.0 70g Stiff) and to me there was a telling difference. Much more muted sound, I said it felt like a forged blade on solid impact, smooch feeling if you know what I mean. Ball flew off the face and trajectory was not too much difference than the others, mine and the TS3, but the sound was better. Distance about 3 yards further on average, I'm using Pro V1's and all brand new balls from the packaging.

The look of the club was a little different, I guess Titleist has done away with the two different head sizes, my pro told me that both heads are the same volume but weighted different, I'm more inclined to play the 440cc sized head. The TS2 had a very unusual crown, it was more rounded going down to the face, than the TS3 and its back was more sloped? Not sure if that means anything to anyone. Between the two I much prefer the TS2, The sound and feel were better for me.

Now, would I go out and trade what I have to source these new drivers, probably not. Other than the sound, which I liked on the TS2, again, more muted, I didn't see enough advantage over what I currently have to justify the cost, even with trades. But I think Titleist has a winner on its hands and I know a couple of friends of mine have them on order. I think it will be a hot seller.

Thanks

I think the TS line was really a way for the people who went away from Titleist to come back rather than upgrade their old Titleist gear.

I'm in that boat. Used a 910 for about 5 years, then shuffled through 3 drivers in 2 years cuz I didn't like any of them (M2, M3, Epic).

TM Qi10 LS - Ventus Blue 6X

TM Stealth 2+ 3W - Ventus Blue TR 7X

Titleist TSi3 3H - Tensei Pro White 100TX

Titleist T150 - KBS Tour 130X

Titleist Vokey SM6 Raw (50, 54) - DG S400

Vokey SM9 Black Raw - S400

Bettinardi Queen B #15

• 4 months later...

I currently have the 917 D2, I like the shape better than the new ts2, I think the ts2 feels very nice, I saw a very slight increase in distance, but not enough for me to switch yet

Mavrik Sub zero 9 drago 65 05

Titleist Ts2 14.5 drago 75 04

Titleist Ts2 17.25 drago 85 04

Honma TW X21 4 iron Fuji pro 115 x

Honma TR 20 P 5-6 Fuji pro 115x

Honma TR 20 V 7-11 Fuji pro 115x

Taylormade milled grind 2 54, 60 S 400

Bettinardi

I’m on year 4 with the 915’s which is pretty telling considering I used to drop clubs every month or so. I’m sure the TS is longer but I can hit every shot in the bag consistently with the 915D3 and even more so with the 915F.

I may give the TS3 a true shot in the Spring but right now it would have to be a pretty significant difference to make the move.

Driver: Cobra Aerojet LS 9* | Kai'Li White 60X

3W: Cobra Aerojet LS 14.5* | Kai'Li White 70X

Hybrid: Titleist TSi2 18* | Tensei AV White 90x

3i-4i: Mizuno Pro 225 | C-Taper 130x

5i-9i: Mizuno MP4 | C-Taper 130x

Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 48* / 53* / 58* | C-Taper 130x / S+

Putter: Custom Shop Cameron Studio Select Squareback 1 - 34"

I switched from the 915 to the 917 but there was basically no difference in performance. Better acoustics in the 917 but that’s about it. I don’t anticipate switching to the TS line. Drivers and fairways are all maxed out now and, in Titleist’s case, have been since the 915. Also, for as ho hum as the Rogue Max shaft is, it suits my swing just fine.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

I went from a 915D3 to a 915D4 when it was released. I have found nothing that could beat the D4, combining distance, spin, and accuracy. I have not tried the TS line, as I am a little disappointed that the TS3 is 460cc, as I prefer a smaller head. I am hearing rumors as to be a soon released TS4; that would get my attention.

Titleist TSi4 9.75 HZRDUS Smoke 
Titleist 915F 15.5 HZRDUS Smoke
Titleist U500 3 iron
Titleist 718CB 4 thru PW
Titleist Vokey SM7 50-08, 54-08, 58-08

Scotty Cameron Phantom X6

Have been playing the 917d2 since last August. Will continue to do so. Played 9 holes today and was hitting it well. Dont see a new driver giving me much more distance. Also have a 917f2 16.5 head to replace my 15 head. I'm gonna play it down in loft and flat. Just like the face angle better. I do the same on my driver.

Taylormade Sim 9.0° Diamana ZF 60 stiff

Taylormade Sim Ti 15° Diamana ZF 70 stiff

Cobra F7 4-5 Ti 18.5° Diamana Kai'li 80 stiff

Ping G25 Hybrid 23° Kbs C-Taper Lite stiff 

Bridgestone Tour-B X-CB 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0

Cobra MiM Black 50°v, 56°v, 60°w Kbs Hi-REV 2.0 125 stiff 

Maltby Ptm-1

Srixon Z-Star 

Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

Bagboy Nitron