2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Taylormade hi-toe

cavanagh

The Hi-Toe name and color are surely pushing this marketing campaign for lower lofts. But to me having the "feel pockets" or whatever they are calling them now a days is the tech that will make this wedge an upgrade compared to MG's. This is what I am most excited to test. As for the 1 color option, as a current 60deg Hi-Toe owner let me tell you my story. I loved the color in store and online. But once I got on the course with it I really began to hate it. Was it so good looking it was distracting my shots? To shiny and/or reflective face/hosel distracting my focus? Flip a coin! I couldn't decide the true culprit, but there was a fix. Your standard mix of white vinegar and peroxide solution will quickly remove the copper raw color returning it to a beautiful tour satin. A durable glare free proven to work "with me" finish. It's not a raw finish it will not rust. I have soaked with with a salting solution to no avail. Later I ended up custom grinding the ATV sole some and had to remove some material. Once sanding through the tour satin finish you can obtain a RAW finish which has rusted and un-rusted after a bunker shot or two. So if you don't like the tour satin either and want a rust version you can obtain that as well with a little sanding and salting solution or forget the rusting and give it the flame/oil treatment! My point is color is easy to change but make sure you don't want the original color back first :taunt: I made the right choice will you? :fishing1:

Can you post pics of your altered wedge?

Finally got mine in, this thing is awesome. Immediately took it to the range and it was perfect. Also very cool to go through the custom shop and get so many shaft/grip options

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+
Utility one length 3,4 iron/mmt105tx
                                                              Forged one length 6-9/x100 wedge onyx

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

2nd thoughts:

first time playing a wedge in an x stiff(120x). love the feel of hi toe full swing with the x stiff. Flight is the most tightly dispersed of any sw/lw ive ever hit. its also the lowest flight/spin of any wedge i have used

Feel on short chips is very good. Definitely less "feel" then the hi-rev 115 stiff on short stuff, but didnt affect ability to control/gauge power. the stiffness actually felt more in control.

Opening the face with the 10 degrees of bounce for a flop shot: Not the easiest grind to slide under the ball on tight lies(I used my welcome mat to test, as tight as it gets). Much better luck with my custom grind 62 degree for that. No problem playing flops off fluffy lies. Extra scoring lines feel useful here.

opening for sand: Great in sand. the high CG/toe feels useful here.

Summary: 62 low bounce/hi rev stiff + 58 mid bounce/x100 is gonna be a great combo. 3 iron may be left in the car for rounds more frequently. . . .

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

The Hi-Toe name and color are surely pushing this marketing campaign for lower lofts. But to me having the "feel pockets" or whatever they are calling them now a days is the tech that will make this wedge an upgrade compared to MG's. This is what I am most excited to test. As for the 1 color option, as a current 60deg Hi-Toe owner let me tell you my story. I loved the color in store and online. But once I got on the course with it I really began to hate it. Was it so good looking it was distracting my shots? To shiny and/or reflective face/hosel distracting my focus? Flip a coin! I couldn't decide the true culprit, but there was a fix. Your standard mix of white vinegar and peroxide solution will quickly remove the copper raw color returning it to a beautiful tour satin. A durable glare free proven to work "with me" finish. It's not a raw finish it will not rust. I have soaked with with a salting solution to no avail. Later I ended up custom grinding the ATV sole some and had to remove some material. Once sanding through the tour satin finish you can obtain a RAW finish which has rusted and un-rusted after a bunker shot or two. So if you don't like the tour satin either and want a rust version you can obtain that as well with a little sanding and salting solution or forget the rusting and give it the flame/oil treatment! My point is color is easy to change but make sure you don't want the original color back first :taunt: I made the right choice will you? :fishing1:

Can still see a spec of color in some spots that I missed. I lost almost a full point of swing weight with the grind. No big deal for me (actually prefer it) to have a D4 wedge so didn't need to add weight back.

FWIW I prefer TM wedges over Vokeys now, and I've been playing Vokeys exclusively for years.

TM is doing an awesome job with grinds in general, and I'm really loving the modern iterations of the ATV grind (which I didn't care for in the 2014 TM TP wedges).

I also think the KBS shaft (Wedge or Hi-rev) pairing offers more feel than the standard DG Wedge, especially on greenside shots.

I didn't see this coming even two months ago, but I'm a convert.

Callaway Fusion 9º •• Matrix 75M4 X
TM 2016 M2 3HL 16.5º •• Aldila NV 2KXV Orange 65X
Callaway Apex 20º •• PX Evenflow Black 80HY X
Adams CMB 24º–46º •• DG TI S400
TM MG 50º •• PX LZ 5.5
TM MG 54º •• DG S200
Mizuno T20 60º/06º •• DG S400
Toulon Atlanta 35"

Got my 56 hi toe yesterday. The sole isn't quite as wide as the photos suggested and an initial trial is promising.

My only gripe is I specifically asked TM not to install a bullet tip weight and keep the club as light as possible as I was ordering at +1" with a Modus 120 shaft which has a roughly 50% balance point. The club has arrived at E1 which is basically +6sw pts over stock for the +1" but I know from my 60 degree hi toe that stock tends to have about a 6 to 8g weight and I got that to D7 when I took it out at +1".

I'd be pretty confident that they have ignored my request and built it with a tip weight. Very frustrating to have to pull the head on a brand new club to check, but I need my wedges to match as closely as possible.

Got my 56 hi toe yesterday. The sole isn't quite as wide as the photos suggested and an initial trial is promising.

My only gripe is I specifically asked TM not to install a bullet tip weight and keep the club as light as possible as I was ordering at +1" with a Modus 120 shaft which has a roughly 50% balance point. The club has arrived at E1 which is basically +6sw pts over stock for the +1" but I know from my 60 degree hi toe that stock tends to have about a 6 to 8g weight and I got that to D7 when I took it out at +1".

I'd be pretty confident that they have ignored my request and built it with a tip weight. Very frustrating to have to pull the head on a brand new club to check, but I need my wedges to match as closely as possible.

I'd call up CS and complain. Take photos when you take the head off to prove they did the job wrong and they'll likely send you a free sleeve, or even box of balls for your trouble.

I had my 2017 M1 crack and I called to complain and get a replacement. Took no time at all and they also sent me a box of TP5X's and a new head on 2day shipping.

Ordered a 56.10 Hi Toe today from DDs. Can’t wait to get it. I really like my SM7 56.10, but I like the design of the Hi Toe better. My 60 Hi Toe is the bomb, and I have a feeling the 56 is going to be even better!

TM SIM 9.0 with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X

TM SIM 15 deg 3W with Project X Smoke Green S

TM SIM2 3H with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 9X

TM M3 4H with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 9X

TM P790 5i with KBS $-Taper 120

TM P760 6-PW with KBS $-Taper 120

TM Hi Toe 50, 55 & 60 with DG S300

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5 

I must've put my 60 into play 9 of 18 holes today. It never lets me down. I want this thing in 46*.

its awesome right?

after publicly questioning why someone would spend 180 on a high toe for a 46 degree-54 degree, I am buying a hi toe gap wedge right now .

What a ho

picked up a high toe 60 atv and love it compared to my sm7 M grind 60, especially chipping around the greens and bunkers, might be a little easier to be pinpoint on full shots as well

Interesting! Same shaft?

might be a little easier to be pinpoint on full shots as well

I had a 90 yard par 3 yesterday, paired up with two guys for the last couple holes because we were all trying to beat the dark. The Two guys hit shots onto green right when we start playing together..pressures on, these guys are solid.

I pull out the gap wedge, usually too scared to go full lob wedge. on 90 yards, would have to be perfect lob.

Then I think, naw, I got an x stiff hi toe 58. I step up, smack a 58 degree that has them both complimenting the shot in midair, like 8 seconds of awesome. 5 foot birdie putt.

Can still see a spec of color in some spots that I missed. I lost almost a full point of swing weight with the grind. No big deal for me (actually prefer it) to have a D4 wedge so didn't need to add weight back.

That looks so much better than the bronze/copper finish.

I had a 90 yard par 3 yesterday, paired up with two guys for the last couple holes because we were all trying to beat the dark. The Two guys hit shots onto green right when we start playing together..pressures on, these guys are solid.

I pull out the gap wedge, usually too scared to go full lob wedge. on 90 yards, would have to be perfect lob.

Then I think, naw, I got an x stiff hi toe 58. I step up, smack a 58 degree that has them both complimenting the shot in midair, like 8 seconds of awesome. 5 foot birdie putt.

Extrastiff playing 90y par 3s lol. Oxymoron

Nice shot tho :p

I'd call up CS and complain. Take photos when you take the head off to prove they did the job wrong and they'll likely send you a free sleeve, or even box of balls for your trouble.

I had my 2017 M1 crack and I called to complain and get a replacement. Took no time at all and they also sent me a box of TP5X's and a new head on 2day shipping.

Unfortunately I'm in the UK and the customer service from golf companies is a joke here. Their position will be that they don't guarantee swingweight on clubs so I have nothing to complain about and that I've now invalidated all warranties by pulling the shaft!

They had installed a 6g weight which was a needless extra 3 swingweights on a club that is +1" anyway and I had to drill the weight out as heat was simply not shifting it. As a reference point for others the raw 56 degree head is now spot on 300g

Extrastiff playing 90y par 3s lol. Oxymoron

Nice shot tho :p

Right? lol.

It was a blue tee, I swear. I should have lied and said it was 120.

Time for a little update from me. In summary I'm loving my hi-toes.

I took the plunge initially with the 60 ATV loft. The first thing I did was to re-shaft it as I needed to take out the tip weight anyway to keep the swingweight down when extending it to +1". I'd call myself a digger, but I find the sole quite forgiving and it has turned into a great bunker club. I'm using Pete Cowens method of making sure I lower my hands at address when opening the club and this thing is money out of the sand.

I added a 56 a week ago and aside from covering different distances, I find the sole has a little less playing bounce but is still quite forgiving.

Now the thing that has really made a difference is shaft choice. I stuck a Nippon VW115 shaft in the lob wedge which I find has quite a high and spinny trajectory. You can really feel the shaft so it is great for feel shots but I wouldn't stick that shaft in a club you use regularly for full shots. I stuck with a Modus 120 in the 56 which is a little lighter but does not feel much lighter due to the 50% balance point vs 52% in the VW. It feels much crisper and drills in full approaches but lacks some of the finesse of the VW

It makes for a great combination as the two clubs are almost polar opposites in terms of what they offer which gives you great choices. So 70 yards out, do you want a floaty spinny shot or to drill one in with one hop and stop. It has opened my eyes as my wedges have tended to be a facsimile of each other in the past with just different lofts. I now feel I have so many more options by choosing different grinds and different shafts

My Hi-Toe 60* & 64* came in the other day - the only non-Pings in my bag. I never liked TM wedges in the past but these are the real deal.

What's in my Ping Pioneer Bag

Ping G400 Max 10.5˚, Alta CB 55 S-Flex

Ping G400 5w, 7w, Alta CB 65 R-Flex
Ping G400 5h, 6h, Alta CB 70 R-Flex

Callaway Apex CF16 7-PW, UST Recoil 660 F3 R-Flex

Titleist Vokey Tour Chrome SM8 50.12F, 54.12D, 58.10S, Mitsubishi Tensei Pro AM2 Red R-Flex

TaylorMade Hi-Toe 64˚ Wedge, Recoil ES 760 F3

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1 34”/74˚ Black with Custom 1+28 Sightlines, B.G.T. Stability Tour Black shaft w/ LAB Press OG 3.0 Grip

Srixon Z-Star XV Yellow | Srixon Q-Star Tour Divide Orange/Yellow, Seamus Headcovers

Callaway Chrome Soft #1 Lost Ball on Tour - Mark Crossfield