What's your handicap and driver swing speed / distance?

BKN1964

Stroke Average: 70.41 (3 Most Frequent Slope and Course Ratings I will play, course number one and two are the same just one is the back tees the other is the BACK tees and course three is my work club); 1. 77.9/155 2. 74.5/142 3. 70.0/131)

Swing Speed: 112 Average (Per Last Trackman Session)

Average Carry Distance: 282.0 (Per Last Trackman Session

That's some gooooood golf.

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm older, under 100 mph swing speed, 6.7 (it'll be back up around 8 I'm sure by end of next spring, lol). Know guys older than me, same or less swing speed who have much lower handicaps, know younger guys with much faster swing speeds who have higher handicaps. My daughter's boyfriend is easily above 100, young and strong and lucky to break 95, lol.

Just don't think I'd put a lot of stock in how well anyone plays or potential based off swing speed, nor should you.

I think I'm looking at it just the opposite. I think we all know that a high swing speed doesn't automatically result in a lower handicap. Sounds like quite a few people here have what I would consider very good handicaps with modest swing speeds, which is what I was attempting to discover with this thread.

Op imho you're looking at this wrong. You seem to think that your distance is capped and will limit your potential. First as you can see plenty of low caps that don't hit it a mile.

Two as a 20 I'm assuming you're swing has plenty of room for improvement. As your swing improves you're likely to hit it further do to improvement in strike, and increased swing speed from better mechanics.

I don't doubt that my swing could improve. However, based on most of what I've read so far, I can make a LOT of progress by spending

less time trying to gain more speed, and more time focusing on a) improving my driver accuracy at my current swing speed, and b) improving my ability to score from 150 yards and in. Sounds like a few others could as well.

Well in order to improve a and b improving your swing is a major component so sounds like we're on the same page!

Stroke Average: 70.41 (3 Most Frequent Slope and Course Ratings I will play, course number one and two are the same just one is the back tees the other is the BACK tees and course three is my work club); 1. 77.9/155 2. 74.5/142 3. 70.0/131)

Swing Speed: 112 Average (Per Last Trackman Session)

Average Carry Distance: 282.0 (Per Last Trackman Session

That's some gooooood golf.

Damn. I don’t think I’ve ever even seen a course with a rating of 77. That sounds beastly.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Those very back tees are likely to be a ~7600+ yd track. The RTJ trail has a good number of courses with ratings of 77+ from the tips, but they're all at least that long as well.

My Driver SS is ~100-102 MPH, 10 index, 230-240 carry

PXG 0811X+ 10.5* (12*)

CW Epic Flash 5W 

TM M3 3H & 4H

TM RocketBladez HL 5-PW

W/S PMP 52*, 56*, 60*

Cleveland HB Soft #1

Those very back tees are likely to be a ~7600+ yd track. The RTJ trail has a good number of courses with ratings of 77+ from the tips, but they're all at least that long as well.

My Driver SS is ~100-102 MPH, 10 index, 230-240 carry

Oh I don't deny it - I'm just saying hot-damn that must be a beast of a course.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

I'm older, under 100 mph swing speed, 6.7 (it'll be back up around 8 I'm sure by end of next spring, lol). Know guys older than me, same or less swing speed who have much lower handicaps, know younger guys with much faster swing speeds who have higher handicaps. My daughter's boyfriend is easily above 100, young and strong and lucky to break 95, lol.

Just don't think I'd put a lot of stock in how well anyone plays or potential based off swing speed, nor should you.

I think I'm looking at it just the opposite. I think we all know that a high swing speed doesn't automatically result in a lower handicap. Sounds like quite a few people here have what I would consider very good handicaps with modest swing speeds, which is what I was attempting to discover with this thread.

Op imho you're looking at this wrong. You seem to think that your distance is capped and will limit your potential. First as you can see plenty of low caps that don't hit it a mile.

Two as a 20 I'm assuming you're swing has plenty of room for improvement. As your swing improves you're likely to hit it further do to improvement in strike, and increased swing speed from better mechanics.

I don't doubt that my swing could improve. However, based on most of what I've read so far, I can make a LOT of progress by spending

less time trying to gain more speed, and more time focusing on a) improving my driver accuracy at my current swing speed, and b) improving my ability to score from 150 yards and in. Sounds like a few others could as well.

IMO, speed isn’t The indicator of swing quality. Consistency of impact is much more valuable - throughout the bag. Hit it where you mean to hit it and you can score.

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

Club Head Speed: 113-115, Some videos in the over-speed section showing 125mph. Best program if you want raw speed.

Carry: 270-275

7 iron: 92mph 168 carry

Hcp 3 on home course 71/130

Titleist TS3 9.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 60X
Titleist 915F 15* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70X
Titleist 816 H2 Aldila Rogue Silver 110 85X
Titleist T100 Project X 5.5
Titleist Vokey SM8 50/54/58 Project X 5.5
Scotty Cameron Squareback 2
Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist -ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

I'm 64, driver SS ~90, and GHIN index at 13.6. I'm not long off the tee, but pretty accurate within 120 yards and chip&putt well. Probably practice my putting the least (maybe once for every 5 times I hit the driving range) because I enjoy seeing the line, reading breaks, and find flat-straight putts boring. Lately can't hit a 3/5-wood or hybrid off the ground to save my life but can smack them off a tee in a long straight line; if I can't get it to work on the range (sometimes club playability is different on a different day :swoon: ), I'll only pull those clubs out on the course if the lie is right. I will say, since switching to a 'senior' shaft in my driver (52-gm PXV) over an initial 'Stiff' and then 'Reg' (picked up 10 yards over stiff), I've picked up another 10 yards over the Reg flex and that has put me in places that give me a better opportunity to score. I like the weight of the stronger flexes, but I can't argue with the distance and the scores that the senior flex gives me. Yes, I'll work on swing speed over the winter and see if I can improve. But I can already see the dilemma if I get a faster swing speed, do I move back up to Reg just to get to where I already am with Senior flex or take that improvement to go even further with the Senior flex? :taunt:

GHIN Index 12.9
LH Epic Flash Driver-LH, 10.5*, Project X EvenFlow Riptide 50 (Light)
LH Callaway Rogue 5-wood (18*), 7-wood (20*); Aldila Synergy 60-Reg
LH Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4-AW, Recoil Dart 75 F3
LH Cleveland RTX 50*, 54*, 58*
LH Odyssey Double Wide Stroke Lab Putter

Club Head Speed: 113-115, Some videos in the over-speed section showing 125mph. Best program if you want raw speed.

You play any tournament golf?

Not since college and HS. Just play once a week in my league with a bunch of older ex-college players. Most of the guys I come across who are 4 and under hcp's all seem to hit the ball about the same distances. Overspeed training has probably been one the best things I have discovered once I turned 38. I feel like I swing way easier now then my violent swings in my early 20's.

Titleist TS3 9.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 60X
Titleist 915F 15* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70X
Titleist 816 H2 Aldila Rogue Silver 110 85X
Titleist T100 Project X 5.5
Titleist Vokey SM8 50/54/58 Project X 5.5
Scotty Cameron Squareback 2
Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist -ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

55, carry distance 240-260, value kick and roll out a lot more than most ("low spin bomb" is about the kick), so hold expectations of 270-280 off a solid tee shot. Play to 9 ish though don't carry index nor ever hit on trackman. Driver pop is indicative of swing quality but I've seen 70+ year old guys chase their age with 175 bombers and seen them hit it 250 w/ 1990's vintage metals. In both cases, they had rock solid swings that defied father time when it came to scoring. So too much is made about distance and not enough focus is on developing a sound swing that works with every club in the bag, week in and week out.

55, carry distance 240-260, value kick and roll out a lot more than most ("low spin bomb" is about the kick), so hold expectations of 270-280 off a solid tee shot. Play to 9 ish though don't carry index nor ever hit on trackman. Driver pop is indicative of swing quality but I've seen 70+ year old guys chase their age with 175 bombers and seen them hit it 250 w/ 1990's vintage metals. In both cases, they had rock solid swings that defied father time when it came to scoring. So too much is made about distance and not enough focus is on developing a sound swing that works with every club in the bag, week in and week out.

Yep, that's what I was looking to get out of this thread. Hopefully the info will help others as well who, like me, are high-handicaps and think chasing distance will help them get their handicaps down to something they're more satisfied with.

An example of how I'm changing my thinking: I went to the range yesterday. About 99% of the time my focus is on trying to increase distance first, with accuracy being an afterthought. Yesterday was all about hitting targets, with whatever club that happens to be. I started off trying to hit the 100 yard sign with my PW (48 degrees). It was coming up a bit short, so I switched to the 9 iron, and then focused on trying to put every shot within two-putt or less distance. I then did the same with a basket sitting at 130 yards, then the 150 yard sign. After that it was about driver and 3W, again focusing more on accuracy with "my" swing-speed and distance.

Incidentally, I did see my distance improve by 1 club length as I focused on solid contact, etc. Yes, it's a distance improvement, but nowhere near what I've been trying to do over the past year or so.

We'll see how well I can put it to use on the course this evening.

Not since college and HS. Just play once a week in my league with a bunch of older ex-college players. Most of the guys I come across who are 4 and under hcp's all seem to hit the ball about the same distances. Overspeed training has probably been one the best things I have discovered once I turned 38. I feel like I swing way easier now then my violent swings in my early 20's.

Where do you live? Is there a solid amateur scene there?

Yep, that's what I was looking to get out of this thread. Hopefully the info will help others as well who, like me, are high-handicaps and think chasing distance will help them get their handicaps down to something they're more satisfied with.

An example of how I'm changing my thinking: I went to the range yesterday. About 99% of the time my focus is on trying to increase distance first, with accuracy being an afterthought. Yesterday was all about hitting targets, with whatever club that happens to be. I started off trying to hit the 100 yard sign with my PW (48 degrees). It was coming up a bit short, so I switched to the 9 iron, and then focused on trying to put every shot within two-putt or less distance. I then did the same with a basket sitting at 130 yards, then the 150 yard sign. After that it was about driver and 3W, again focusing more on accuracy with "my" swing-speed and distance.

Incidentally, I did see my distance improve by 1 club length as I focused on solid contact, etc. Yes, it's a distance improvement, but nowhere near what I've been trying to do over the past year or so.

Yes,it's a lot better to be more target and contact focused in practice and build distance as a derivative to those. Heck even set aside a portion of practice to swing for the fences but only after taking care of business. On the course, be wary of steering the shot. Swing fully in the context of rhythm and balance because otherwise you'll find the ball all over the place.

My age is 74. My handicap is 5. I think that my swing speed is about 95 on a really good day. My goal is to hit is no less than 230 yards including a normal amount of roll, and I can easily do that.

What I would tell you is two things. First, anybody who can conistently hit a 230 yard drive can be a scratch player, for the kinds of courses that most of us play - just take the holes that you play and plug in 230 yard drives and do the math and you will see that this is all that you need. Anything less than that and distance will likely start to become a limiting factor for most of us because approach shots get to be too long.

Second, if you want to be a good player you have to hit fairways with your drives. Period. Phil MIchelson can miss fairways 50% of the time. But the pros are playing perfectly manicured courses, with trees spaced out and trimmed up so that they are almost never blocked out and can always get a swing, with underbrush cleared out, with fairway bunkers set up hard and to perfection, etc. We don’t play those kinds of courses. Our courses tend to have serious problems when we miss fairways, much more punishing than what the pros are experiencing.

So, now there is a dilemma: You must hit it reasonably long in order to have great scores, yet you likely cannot have great scores if you swing out of your shoes and miss fairways. Jack Grout taught Nicklaus to first hit it hard and long, then work on control. This never worked well for me - I am no Jack Nicklaus. I have found that hitting it straight is somewhat more important to my scores than hitting it far. It is a balance, of course. But often, as you note, hitting it straight also causes you to hit if farther. So, the key to good golf, for me, is to learn to consistently hit the driver in the middle of the face with a square face - smash factor they call it, I think.

The problem is, how to do same? I overhauled my swing, entirely, a few years back. I went from rotation to weight shift. With rotation not only did my back hurt but I had a lot of bad contact and dispersion. The problem with rotation, at least at my age, is that the clubhead gets so far away from the line and behind me that I cannot get it back, reliably. I went to the Jimmy Ballard method. With this method performend properly you never get the clubhead behind you much - it goes up rather than around - so it is easier to square up at impact. This method leads to dead straight shots and, for me, and more distance because of a better smash factor (not necessarily more clubhead speed, but not less clubhead speed either). So, a good method is key to hitting fairways consistently.

The other thing that I did was to cut my driver down from 45.5” to 44”. I play the Calloway Epic and I have it set up to 12.5 deg. It came as about a D3 swing weight. By cutting it down it has become incredibly light, I am guessing a low C number like a woman’s swing weight. Rather than adding weight I have just played it as is, and gotten to love the light feel. I have lost no distance by cutting down my shaft, and I am probably even straighter, and I would venture a guess that on average I am a bit longer because I am getting more consistent contact.

Another thing to the OP to consider is to consider ballspeed over your clubhead speed. If your impact isn't right you can be loosing 20 yards of distance if say you have a 90 chs but your smash of 1.4. A smash of 1.5 with the same swing speed is 9 mph improvement in ball speed, which could be 20 or more yards to your drives.

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

Driver SS: no idea

Driver carry: about 220 yards

Handicap: 9

Several people have already commented along the same lines as my own thoughts, but for what it's worth...

I have played with quite a few seniors bearing single-figure handicaps. None of them have what you'd call a fast swing speed; I could out-drive them unless I mishit it, and I don't swing fast (76mph with a 6 iron, apparently). The biggest difference between them and me was their consistent ability to (a) put the ball in the fairway, and (b) find the green with their second shot (par fours). It didn't matter whether it was a 9 iron or hybrid, or even a 3 wood - they'd stick that ball on the green almost every time. It made me think about my own game and re-evaluate what I was concentrating on, and where I was losing shots.

You say you give yourself a better than even chance of making par from inside 150 yards, and worse than even from outside that. Assuming you hit 7 iron 150 yards, that sounds like you are wayward with longer irons. If you find yourself 160-170 yards out regularly you either need to gain twenty yards with the driver or learn to hit the longer irons well. The latter will serve you better, as you'll also improve your par three scores.

Also, there's no point carrying any club around that you can't hit reasonably well 8/10 times. Try this: take out all the clubs with which you wouldn't be prepared to bet a few quid on the outcome of a shot, and play a round or two with just the ones you do have confidence in. That will really highlight how many shots per round you are unable to play, and give you something to focus on improving. Just getting longer with the driver won't make you a better golfer.

Index: +2.8, probably not that low if I got some rounds in, was playing well over the summer

Swing Speed: 116-118

Carry: 285-295

Titleist TSi3 10* TPO 1K 60-TX
Titleist 917F3 15* VA Composite Drago 75-X
Titleist TSr3 19* Ventus Black 10-TX
Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x

A better swing would make your scoring 150 and in better

Another thing to the OP to consider is to consider ballspeed over your clubhead speed. If your impact isn't right you can be loosing 20 yards of distance if say you have a 90 chs but your smash of 1.4. A smash of 1.5 with the same swing speed is 9 mph improvement in ball speed, which could be 20 or more yards to your drives.

While true, its an assumption most people who are better players hit the ball at least somewhat solid, let's say average smash 1.45 or better so it's a pretty even correlation with clubhead speed