The Arm Swing Illusion / Jim Waldron's Swing Philosophy

Kiwi2

I am not seeing any push away or lift in Tiger Wood's swing, so I am not sure he does this move as is claimed earlier in the thread.

Tiger Woods has a classic 1 piece move and turns the club with his shoulders. His arms and hands are passive. The natural folding of the right arm and rotation of the left arm after the first few feet is what raises the golf club.

If you twist a video so he's upright it's clearer to see there is no pushaway and no illusion.

https://media.giphy....rBEk7/giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Your understanding of the illusion is deeply flawed.

Who said anything about the "illusion"? I didn't mention any illusion, I just said Tiger Woods doesn't push the club away from him which you claim he does.

Post-truth era I guess.

It’s funny. I see the push away clear as day just as his hands move through the hash mark on that line.

Btw, thank you for this idea Jim. It and the right arm resistance to the top have reshaped my takeaway and stopped that right elbow from sucking behind me at the top. My arms feel very solid now.

• 3 weeks later...

I have gotten quite a few inquires lately as to which one video I would recommend of the 13 we have for sale/download.

The answer, of course, is always "It depends" on the person asking the question, ie what stage of development their golf swing is currently showing.

But in general, I think for the folks who are in the mid to low handicap range (majority of folks here) Module Six on the Six Swing Segments is probably the best one to start with. It covers all the mechanics of the golf swing model that I teach, with a fair amount of technical detail.

Here is the trailer:

We are done with all of the videotaping for my next video series, which will be devoted exclusively to the mental game of golf.

This will be mainly about my concept of "The Art of Shotmaking" which is all about the pre-shot routine and how to use your mind - including thoughts, awareness, mental focus, and emotions - to play better golf.

We also cover the essential material regarding being "Ball Bound" and the related Destructive Impulses such as Hit and Steering, and how to "flinch-proof" your swing and stroke.

First of four videos will be available around end of October to early November.

We have one more day of videotaping (scheduled for later this week) to finish our upcoming video series devoted to the Short Game. This will cover all of the detailed mechanics of chipping, pitching, bunker shots, distance wedges and specialty short game shots. We expect to have the first of five videos available for sale on our site by next April.

Jim, I've been working my way through this thread for quite some time & have found it to be very enlightening. Several (maybe many?) pages back I came across several posts about "tilt switch" & wondered if you could revisit that idea. As I've gotten older I've struggled to find a good thought or key for getting my weight back to my left side. I either get too aggressive with my hips & move too much laterally, my hips get out in front of my upper body or I don't move laterally enough & my weight stays on my right side. Going from left side bend to right side bend feels like it creates the perfect amount of hip movement & weight shift. Does this sound familiar? Does it sound like I'm getting the idea? Thanks again...

Jim, I've been working my way through this thread for quite some time & have found it to be very enlightening. Several (maybe many?) pages back I came across several posts about "tilt switch" & wondered if you could revisit that idea. As I've gotten older I've struggled to find a good thought or key for getting my weight back to my left side. I either get too aggressive with my hips & move too much laterally, my hips get out in front of my upper body or I don't move laterally enough & my weight stays on my right side. Going from left side bend to right side bend feels like it creates the perfect amount of hip movement & weight shift. Does this sound familiar? Does it sound like I'm getting the idea? Thanks again...

In my experience, learning how to do the Tilt Switch properly, along with the lower body lateral shift/rotate, is one of hardest golf swing moves, maybe the hardest.

You need professional instruction to get it right.

For one, if you have even slightly poor Balance, T Switch will tend to make it worse.

So other fundamentals need to already be in place to learn the Switch.

No - sounds like your issue is the usual one for 95% of my students, poor body Awareness for the move.

Moving from too little to too much of a body move is the hallmark sign of not enough Awareness.

Most golfers mistakenly believe that the "answer" to that kind of dillemma is a new swing thought, when it is really the Goldilocks answer - "not too hot, not too cold - just right".

Tilt Switch mastery does not naturally create the proper lower body shift/rotate move, they are two separate but related moves that happen mainly simultaneously.

• 3 weeks later...

Tiger is clearly doing the arm pushaway in his current swing, just not nearly as much as in 1996. The fact that you cannot see it is your problem. He keeps his hands/arms moving in the backswing from center of his torso in the V shape up to the right side of this torso. In the third or "width" dimension. That move is the essence of what the ASI material is all about for the backswing.

So when Butch Harmon (who was Tiger's coach at the time) told me, in person, that Tiger just keeps his hands arms in place and turns his shoulders in a 1-piece move to start the takeaway - he was wrong? To be even clearer, Butch stood and demonstrated this in person in stages. First a perfect shoulder-only takeaway with absolutely no action from the arms or wrists (i.e no pushing away) he did this until the hands were just outside his right leg. Then he paused and folded his right arm a touch, another pause then pretty much turned to the top.

I remember it like it was yesterday, he specifically stated this is what his players did and had in common and stressed there was no independent action from the arms until the right arm fold at the END of the takeaway.

I am certainly not here "looking for a fight with a well known instructor" as you put it; but obviously I have Butch Harmon telling me one thing and Jim Waldron telling me something else - so it's about getting a better understanding.

This tread has a ton of interest on WRX and on other sites too, so it's going to attract some attention, and sometimes scrutiny; but that's healthy, right? At least it should be. In the world of science it's all about challenging theories - that's how they stand up.

Your view of what I teach is obviously NOT what I teach.

Most golfers new to the ASI concept form the false perception that I teach an outside, "steep" or vertical plane. Which is obviously what you believe I am advocating.

OK, so here's my view, and my understanding... If you turn your shoulders perpendicular to your spine without doing anything to your arms/hands/club you will be perfectly on-plane. This is the classic one-piece move / maintain the triangle almost all golf coaches teach (inc Butch). If you do this, you simply cannot be under or over plane because the arms will stay exactly where they were at address in relation to the shoulder/torso unit. This is easily demonstrable in 3D computer analysis or even with a really crude model below:

giphy.gif

Obviously there is no arm lift here so if you add a push-away the club would obviously move outside the plane-line? So what am I missing here?

I am looking at the Golf Digest article right now. I cut out the three page article, which I believe is from 1997 or 1998, page 40-43.Tiger in a silver print shirt. I use that article all the time in my teaching practice.

I would love to read this, I have a lot of Tiger articles books and clippings but nothing pre-1999. Would you be able to snap it on your phone and upload it?

1. Per the creative GIF swing illustration posted above, you would be so inside and under plane if that’s how you believe the takeaway works. (A big no-no). The golf swing is 3-dimensional, meaning it has width, height and depth components.

2. It’s called an illusion for a reason, because it’s difficult to see from DTL.

3. You should really try reading this thread over again until you comprehend the ASI. The fact that you’re contending that tiger doesn’t push away because it’s not apparent from DTL illustrates that you don’t comprehend it fully.

• Like 1

Seriously, the arm swing illusion was one of the most important things for me to learn. You can play decent golf with little body rotation if you get this part right. It's true for most swings. I've seen many amateurs bring it back way inside (including me) because they don't keep it pushed out (it's more a feel).

Callaway Paradym TD 10* Ventus Red TR 5S

Titleist TSR3 13.5* 3 Wood Tour AD-IZ 6S

Titleist TSR3 19* hybrid Modus GOST S

Titleist TSR2 24* hybrid Modus GOST S

Callaway Paradym Hybrid 27* Ventus non Velocore S

Titleist T100 2023 6-PW KBS Tour V S

Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron X7.5 CS

Jim, asking you because I know you are very knowledgeable on this particular subject. I have had a terrible "hit instinct" my entire golfing life. Back when my swing was truly amatuerish it didn't matter because the hit instinct was essentially my swing. What my body did was secondary, if that makes any sense. Of course my swing looked terrible but I truly swung my swing. After taking lessons from several good pros on here, etc. I know A LOT more about the swing and my swing (and results) are generally much better. However, my hit impulse sneaks up on me from time to time resulting in a terrible over the top move with little lower body rotation. I know thinking about the hips is sort of out of vogue on here these days but I have found when I really just think about my hip pivot and/or my shoulder going out to the ball, the swing sort of magically happens and I swing at the ball before even realizing what happened. I know, this sounds weird, but given I have this really bad hit impulse, I almost have to think about not hitting the ball or swinging my arms and, instead, just moving my hips. Believe me, when I'm successful, the swing looks great on video.

So, with that as a preface I'm not even sure what my question is exactly but what are your thoughts on me just having that one swing thought as far as the hip pivot and a swing happening "automatically." Is this some sort of band-aid? Do you have thoughts on what I'm experiencing and if it will ever go away or if the hit impulse will always be with me to some extent? Also, I imagine a lot of low handicap golfers do try to "hit" the ball but they just have a natural body coordination/athleticism that some like myself lack.

Jim, asking you because I know you are very knowledgeable on this particular subject. I have had a terrible "hit instinct" my entire golfing life. Back when my swing was truly amatuerish it didn't matter because the hit instinct was essentially my swing. What my body did was secondary, if that makes any sense. Of course my swing looked terrible but I truly swung my swing. After taking lessons from several good pros on here, etc. I know A LOT more about the swing and my swing (and results) are generally much better. However, my hit impulse sneaks up on me from time to time resulting in a terrible over the top move with little lower body rotation. I know thinking about the hips is sort of out of vogue on here these days but I have found when I really just think about my hip pivot and/or my shoulder going out to the ball, the swing sort of magically happens and I swing at the ball before even realizing what happened. I know, this sounds weird, but given I have this really bad hit impulse, I almost have to think about not hitting the ball or swinging my arms and, instead, just moving my hips. Believe me, when I'm successful, the swing looks great on video.

So, with that as a preface I'm not even sure what my question is exactly but what are your thoughts on me just having that one swing thought as far as the hip pivot and a swing happening "automatically." Is this some sort of band-aid? Do you have thoughts on what I'm experiencing and if it will ever go away or if the hit impulse will always be with me to some extent? Also, I imagine a lot of low handicap golfers do try to "hit" the ball but they just have a natural body coordination/athleticism that some like myself lack.

Hit Impulse is one of the major causes of poor ballstriking, and even affects short game and putting.

It causes early release, loss of ch speed and poor impact.

It is on the Flinch/Yips spectrum, and can indeed be overcome once and for all.

The solution is Awareness and changing focus off of the ball and impact.

Hip focus seems to be doing exactly that for you.

Hit Impulse is one of the major causes of poor ballstriking, and even affects short game and putting.

It causes early release, loss of ch speed and poor impact.

It is on the Flinch/Yips spectrum, and can indeed be overcome once and for all.

The solution is Awareness and changing focus off of the ball and impact.

Hip focus seems to be doing exactly that for you.

Thanks Jim. Good to know I'm approaching this correctly.

• 2 weeks later...

A lot of requests lately for more information about my approach to teaching the mental game of golf. We are doing final editing the next three weeks on my first mental game videos titled: "The Art of Shotmaking: Mastering the Mental Game of Golf" which will available for purchase here by the end of November, https://balancepointgolf.com/index.php/pro-shop/golf-videos.

Here is a link to a Golfsmarter podcast I did with host Fred Greene that covers some of my mental game concepts: https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/fred-greene/golfsmartercom/e/53084925?autoplay=true

The podcast was mostly devoted to my concept of "Flinch-proofing" your golf swing and putting strokes.

Meaning that from a modern Neuroscience viewpoint - as well as a time-honored traditional game of golf idea - the pressure to hit a golf shot well (mental pressure and emotional pressure) and the penalties we face as golfers when we hit a bad shot - tends to make one or more muscles in your body tighten up, ie a "flinch" which then causes poor body mechanics, which disrupts the club motion, which then causes poor impact, and hence a bad shot.

This idea is supremely important in golf, but has fallen out of favor in the mainstream golf culture in the last decade, mainly due to relentless marketing of high tech and highly analytical golf swing theory on the Internet. Meaning there is a widely held view that all bad golf shots are ONLY due to poor mechanics, as if the golfer's mind and emotions had no role to play in creating those bad mechanics that caused that bad shot.

If you can regularly break 95, then most of your really bad shots are at least partially due to the flinch factor. The lower your handicap, the more likely wrong use of your mind/emotions are causing those bad shots.

A lot of requests lately for more information about my approach to teaching the mental game of golf. We are doing final editing the next three weeks on my first mental game videos titled: "The Art of Shotmaking: Mastering the Mental Game of Golf" which will available for purchase here by the end of November, https://balancepoint...op/golf-videos.

Here is a link to a Golfsmarter podcast I did with host Fred Greene that covers some of my mental game concepts: https://www.stitcher...5?autoplay=true

The podcast was mostly devoted to my concept of "Flinch-proofing" your golf swing and putting strokes.

Meaning that from a modern Neuroscience viewpoint - as well as a time-honored traditional game of golf idea - the pressure to hit a golf shot well (mental pressure and emotional pressure) and the penalties we face as golfers when we hit a bad shot - tends to make one or more muscles in your body tighten up, ie a "flinch" which then causes poor body mechanics, which disrupts the club motion, which then causes poor impact, and hence a bad shot.

This idea is supremely important in golf, but has fallen out of favor in the mainstream golf culture in the last decade, mainly due to relentless marketing of high tech and highly analytical golf swing theory on the Internet. Meaning there is a widely held view that all bad golf shots are ONLY due to poor mechanics, as if the golfer's mind and emotions had no role to play in creating those bad mechanics that caused that bad shot.

If you can regularly break 95, then most of your really bad shots are at least partially due to the flinch factor. The lower your handicap, the more likely wrong use of your mind/emotions are causing those bad shots.

Jim, I've been known to have a smooth nice tempo swing. But, for some reason, I tighten my grip hard at and right after impact. Does this qualify as a flinch? Thx, Tanner

A lot of requests lately for more information about my approach to teaching the mental game of golf. We are doing final editing the next three weeks on my first mental game videos titled: "The Art of Shotmaking: Mastering the Mental Game of Golf" which will available for purchase here by the end of November, https://balancepoint...op/golf-videos.

Here is a link to a Golfsmarter podcast I did with host Fred Greene that covers some of my mental game concepts: https://www.stitcher...5?autoplay=true

Jim, I've been known to have a smooth nice tempo swing. But, for some reason, I tighten my grip hard at and right after impact. Does this qualify as a flinch? Thx, Tanner

Yes! It is the literal definition of a flinch and the most common type of several, by far.

It is why maintaining proper grip pressure from start to finish so important to good shotmaking.

Yes! It is the literal definition of a flinch and the most common type of several, by far.

It is why maintaining proper grip pressure from start to finish so important to good shotmaking.

Ok, great. Thanks, Jim. I enjoyed the podcast as well. Thanks, for sharing.

• 2 weeks later...

Tiger is clearly doing the arm pushaway in his current swing, just not nearly as much as in 1996. The fact that you cannot see it is your problem. He keeps his hands/arms moving in the backswing from center of his torso in the V shape up to the right side of this torso. In the third or "width" dimension. That move is the essence of what the ASI material is all about for the backswing.

So when Butch Harmon (who was Tiger's coach at the time) told me, in person, that Tiger just keeps his hands arms in place and turns his shoulders in a 1-piece move to start the takeaway - he was wrong? To be even clearer, Butch stood and demonstrated this in person in stages. First a perfect shoulder-only takeaway with absolutely no action from the arms or wrists (i.e no pushing away) he did this until the hands were just outside his right leg. Then he paused and folded his right arm a touch, another pause then pretty much turned to the top.

I remember it like it was yesterday, he specifically stated this is what his players did and had in common and stressed there was no independent action from the arms until the right arm fold at the END of the takeaway.

I am certainly not here "looking for a fight with a well known instructor" as you put it; but obviously I have Butch Harmon telling me one thing and Jim Waldron telling me something else - so it's about getting a better understanding.

This tread has a ton of interest on WRX and on other sites too, so it's going to attract some attention, and sometimes scrutiny; but that's healthy, right? At least it should be. In the world of science it's all about challenging theories - that's how they stand up.

Your view of what I teach is obviously NOT what I teach.

Most golfers new to the ASI concept form the false perception that I teach an outside, "steep" or vertical plane. Which is obviously what you believe I am advocating.

OK, so here's my view, and my understanding... If you turn your shoulders perpendicular to your spine without doing anything to your arms/hands/club you will be perfectly on-plane. This is the classic one-piece move / maintain the triangle almost all golf coaches teach (inc Butch). If you do this, you simply cannot be under or over plane because the arms will stay exactly where they were at address in relation to the shoulder/torso unit. This is easily demonstrable in 3D computer analysis or even with a really crude model below:

giphy.gif

Obviously there is no arm lift here so if you add a push-away the club would obviously move outside the plane-line? So what am I missing here?

I am looking at the Golf Digest article right now. I cut out the three page article, which I believe is from 1997 or 1998, page 40-43.Tiger in a silver print shirt. I use that article all the time in my teaching practice.

I would love to read this, I have a lot of Tiger articles books and clippings but nothing pre-1999. Would you be able to snap it on your phone and upload it?

1. Per the creative GIF swing illustration posted above, you would be so inside and under plane if that’s how you believe the takeaway works. (A big no-no). The golf swing is 3-dimensional, meaning it has width, height and depth components.

2. It’s called an illusion for a reason, because it’s difficult to see from DTL.

3. You should really try reading this thread over again until you comprehend the ASI. The fact that you’re contending that tiger doesn’t push away because it’s not apparent from DTL illustrates that you don’t comprehend it fully.

For point #1 - exactly! The gif shows the first 2 feet of the swing. What happens from the point where the gif ends to the top of the swing? The club has to go up. If the club kept riding the pivot around the body then you're dead. The gif actually helps prove Jim's point.

Jim suggests a push away early but I don't believe he says everyone has to push away early (jim will have to correct me if I'm wrong). In the early 2000s nearly every instructor was copying what butch was doing with tiger. They were teaching a 2 feet one piece takeaway, upward set, arms stop moving when the shoulders stop, then fire through.

There were 2 huge things butch did with tiger back in the day:

1. Less inside on the way up

2. Arms and body more synced on the way down

Tiger was never an early set guy so his move was always going to be more pivot driven but with more of a push away (butch called it "wide") move.

Butch had tiger do the pump.drill for hours to help resync his arms and body on the way down. Tiger would get a bit inside on the way back and then he'd fire so hard on the way down that his arms would often get left behind. He just happened to be one of the most talented guys to play so he could recover when he was 20. But he knew, and butch knew, that tiger's ability needed to be tightened up.

I have always been plagued by an inside takeaway. I finally had enough of the occasional snap hook that I decided to move to a fade. Little did I know, my fade swing was Jim's theory...and my "fade" swing was dead on plane but my arms felt like they were miles outside. I stumbled across this thread many months ago and Jim's philosophy was definitely an aha moment. Body turns, arms go up. Too much turn without the up and you'll have trouble. Too much up without the turn and you'll have trouble. But that push away feeling is definitely real and it works.

Oh, and tiger did pushaway.

No I never teach pushaway "early" or to start with that and then do the pivot.

(Although I sometimes recommend doing exactly that a little bit as an exaggerated intention drill for a few days for new students who suck it way inside and are in early stages of learning the ASI material. It's a drill for those folks only and not the model that I teach)

I have said it a thousand times on this thread, and I say it daily in my teaching practice.

You must BLEND the arm pushaway of 4"-8" with the Pivot - simultaneous motion, NOT sequential motion.

Almost everyone gets this wrong including all of the many trolls that have attacked the concept in this thread.

Doing that small degree of arm motion on the 45 angle when blended with the pivot, the clubhead will move inside the target line immediately at start of takeaway or at most move straight back on the target line for an inch or two. Hand path will be straight back along the toe line till end of takeaway in a perfectly blended "ideal" swing.

The blending along with proper wrist c0ck/hinge will allow the clubshaft to track back on plane during takeaway.

The preferred error is a bit outside the ideal plane, because from there it is much easier to Transition correctly.

Many PGA Tour pros are a tiny bit outside with both hand path and shaft plane angle, again the preferred error, because from there you can still easily achieve a good Top position, ie no chance of being stuck.

Being more than a tiny bit inside makes it tough to not end up even more inside and stuck as you reach the Top, especially if you are an average weekend player in the mid to high handicap range.

The pushaway matches the arms/s girdle Triangle and makes it easier to sustain both the sideways and the stretch arms pressure so that you can maintain a structured Triangle.

And it makes it easier to have a moderate amount of "width" at the Top, which is a secondary power source.

And yes indeed, Tiger did "pushaway" - he actually did it way too much in my view early in his career - and as I said, even wrote an article in 1997 or so, where he literally uses the word "pushaway".

I've been getting a ton of questions lately about my Yips Cure Program, and if there is some kind of a book or video that folks who suffer from yips can purchase.

The short answer is no - yips is such an individual syndrome that it requires personal instruction of a very intensive kind.

A person who suffers from the yips is in a very fragile psychological state and it is imperative that the Process of curing his or her yips is carried out in a way that builds confidence over time. From a coaching standpoint, it is 90% intuitive, ie knowing what drills, exercises and concepts to present at what point in time is key.

There are no magic moves or quick fixes that work with the yips. The Cure entails learning how to replace fear with confidence, along with learning the skill of proper mental focus, professional level pre-shot routine and what mechanics to change and what to leave alone.

I'd think I'd rather believe Butch Harmon and Tiger Woods themselves on that matter (both of whom have described the takeaway in detail, and Butch who I have personally spoken too) than some internet golfer.

They may describe it a certain way. Good instructors have this way of describing what they want their students to do in a way the student understands the feel.

But hey, I didn't talk to butch. I think I'd rather believe what I saw tiger do than some internet golfer who said hi to butch one day and counts that as "talking g" to him.

It doesn't really matter though. What Jim advocates has helped numerous people, including me.

And by the way, I'm no slouch internet golfer. I know a good bit about the golf swing. What Jim teaches helped me understand what I needed to feel to cure an inside and flat takeaway problem that plagued me for a while.

I was hovering around a 2 when I finally decided to peek into this pinned thread. Since then, since getting the feeling of what Jim teaches I've dropped to as low as a +.2. I have hovered between .4 and +.2 for about the last 7 months.

So it doesn't really matter what tiger did or what butch said, Jim's principles work and help people. That's what this thread is about.

If you'd rather be right so you'll go away then...you're right. Now, can you leave this thread for people who want to understand the concept to see if it helps, rather than run the same retread over and over?

• 3 weeks later...

I'd think I'd rather believe Butch Harmon and Tiger Woods themselves on that matter (both of whom have described the takeaway in detail, and Butch who I have personally spoken too) than some internet golfer.

They may describe it a certain way. Good instructors have this way of describing what they want their students to do in a way the student understands the feel.

But hey, I didn't talk to butch. I think I'd rather believe what I saw tiger do than some internet golfer who said hi to butch one day and counts that as "talking g" to him.

It doesn't really matter though. What Jim advocates has helped numerous people, including me.

And by the way, I'm no slouch internet golfer. I know a good bit about the golf swing. What Jim teaches helped me understand what I needed to feel to cure an inside and flat takeaway problem that plagued me for a while.

I was hovering around a 2 when I finally decided to peek into this pinned thread. Since then, since getting the feeling of what Jim teaches I've dropped to as low as a +.2. I have hovered between .4 and +.2 for about the last 7 months.

So it doesn't really matter what tiger did or what butch said, Jim's principles work and help people. That's what this thread is about.

If you'd rather be right so you'll go away then...you're right. Now, can you leave this thread for people who want to understand the concept to see if it helps, rather than run the same retread over and over?

As I've said several times over; I have no issue with Jim's or anyone else's swing theories. If a swing method works for you, stick to it no matter how crazy or off the wall it may be.

What I am debating is Jim's frequent claim that Tiger Woods utalises Jim's teachings by way of pushing the club away to start his backswing. A bold and wild claim with zero substance and against everything Tiger Woods has said himself in clinics I have been to in person, watched on TV and in writings he has made. Plus testimony from the man who coached him, Mr Butch Harmon. A 1 piece takeaway is taking everything back in 1 piece - it cannot be confused linguistically of someone describing a push away on a 45 degree angle...

Jim choses to post on Golfwrx over using a forum on his own website, so I believe public questions are to be expected; especially if you are selling a method with the claim that there is an "illusion" done by Tiger Woods.

OK, "dpunk" - here is the article you asked for. I seriously doubt it will have any influence on your thinking, since you are clearly emotionally committed to your wrong belief, and so will find some way to rationalize this evidence away.

Here is Tiger himself in this Golf Digest article from 1997 or so talking about extending his arms and "pushing away" of his arms. And anyone with a half a brain can see in the photo that he is pushing his arms away from his torso during takeaway.

A major part of Jim Waldron’s teaching is based on overcoming what he calls

the Arm Swing Illusion. Jim has found that many of his students improve

rapidly once they become aware of it.

Questions have been asked on the forum for an explanation. With Jim’s approval a condensed and simplified explanation follows.

What is it?

It is an illusion which is created by our natural tendency to view the swing

in a two dimensional way. This causes us to see the swinging motion of the

arms hands and club as a sideways movement across the chest and around the

torso.

It appears that way to us as we look down at the ball during the swing. It

also appears that way as we observe others swinging.

This has caused problems for many as they try to learn the golf swing.

What really happens with the arms in a good motion?

If we isolate the arm action from the pivot, they initially move at a 45 degree angle to the chest towards the

target line until, for a right handed golfer, the right arm reaches waist

high.

The right elbow then bends to around 90 degrees which raises the left arm.

The independent arm action then stops as the torso continues turning so that

the shoulder girdle is at a 90 degree angle to the spine.

In other words the arms push away from the torso rather than being pulled in

towards it.

Jim has some drills that help learn this and they work. But they are part of

his teaching and you will need to either take a lesson from him, or wait

until his books are published to learn them.

How do I know what it is?

I have spent time with Jim in Hawaii over two occasions not so many years ago. Both experiences were very positive.The first time I attended his Ultimate Golf School (two attendees). The Second, his Great Shot (6 attendees) and Rip it to the Target mental game school (I was the only attendee). Jim then invited me back to help. Other commitments have stopped me doing this to date. I have his DVDs and his manuals.

I hope that answered some of your questions.

Jim has posted great comments about meta-awareness.

It's literally in quotes...lol.

But, but, "fake news"! mAh prezious opinionz!

So so good, glad you found that and posted it Jim.

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle