WRXers Scratch Amateur Tournaments Thread: Commitments, Results, etc....

Obee

“There are two kinds of golf. There is golf and there is tournament golf. They are not the same.” ~Bobby Jones

So this is going to be a thread for any and all tournament results for scratch amateur tournaments. My goal with this thread is to get as many guys and gals playing scratch tournament golf as possible. If you're a 4.9 index golfer or lower, your index is low enough to enter many scratch amateur tournaments in your area.

This thread is for you to post:

• Your commitment to play tournaments: "This year I plan to play the following tournaments...."
  • Your actual tournament sign-ups: "Today I signed up for the _____ tournament in my area..."
  • Your thoughts heading into tournaments: "Game firing on all cylinders. Can't wait to tee it up next week...."
  • Your results form tournaments you play in (the good, the bad, and the indifferent): "Shot 71, 75 and made the cut, then shot 84 the final round. Pissed!!" ;-)
  • Questions about tournament golf: "I'm about to play in my first tournament, what do I do about ...."
  • Anything else at all related to scratch tournament golf...

I have two golf passions:

1. Playing tournament golf
  2. Encouraging and helping others to play tournament golf

And it all starts with a commitment to play in events. The rest follows from that initial commitment and then the actual action of signing up for an event. And hopefully showing up on the first tee on time! ;-)

I'll start....

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

SCGA (Southern California Golf Association) Four-Ball Qualifier this coming Thursday at Rustic Canyon. Usually takes 68 or 69 to qualify unless the weather is really tough.

Two years ago, my buddy and I qualified on the same course with a 78, better-ball! wind was 25 sustained, gusts to 50! I couldn't reach either of the par 5's on the back-nine in THREE shots!!

Weather this year looks to be much better....

Obee - cool idea for a thread!

I'm an NCGA member, besides that how should I be researching the tournament scene in my area (Fresno CA)?

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

This is a spreadsheet that I maintain year to year. It lists pretty much all of the stuff in SoCal that I can think of. I'm sure I'm missed a few, but not many....

There is ALWAYS something going on in Southern California. You are pretty much never more than a week or two away from some kind of tournament to play.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u1274ntc0fcxq6w/2018%20Amateur%20Golf%20Tournaments%20Calendar%20Schedule%20excel.xlsx?dl=0

Let me know if that link does not work....

I’ll get in early. I’m just moving in to the senior ranks here locally. I’ve been away from tournament golf for about 12 years with kids sports. Previously I’ve played Local and National publinx and MidAm tournaments with only modest success. This year I had some time to get my putting and short game sharpened back up and I played in the local GA mid-am, and another local GA senior and mid-am. I live right in between two metro areas so that provides a few more opportunities.

I’ve had a bit of a hitch in my plans due to a TFCC tear in my left wrist from a car accident in 2017, which has ranged from an annoyance to a weeks off at a time problem. My first round back was a tough slog into the 80s as new irons and driver left me searching for any kind of form.

Last competitive round of the year was from 6700 on a fine Ross layout that was a bit damp and unbearably hot and humid but things came together for an acceptable 76 that was a good back-in-the-saddle round. Then, as quick as it came, it seems that the tourney season locally is wrapped up.

I’d like to find some way to keep some momentum, but the next tournament for me is likely to be in April or May of next year unless I can find some travel tournaments to play. Seems like a tough order with the Nov and Dec holiday season coming up. Maybe early spring will afford some chance to get some additional competitive rounds in. I felt really fortunate to get back into the heat of it again this year. Index has moved back into the fives with the return of some old reliable sticks into the bag. I hope to get down to the threes next year that will travel at 6600-6700. That’s going to require a little additional work on driver ball speed.

• Like 1

Awesome thread!

I played in a state amateur event here in South Africa, and tbh, it wasn't pretty. 82-74, MC by 8 (Winning total of -27 btw!?!!) However, it was my first tourney back after an elbow injury, so didn't have the highest expectations.

Positives :

- Ballstriking in Rd2. I hit 10 fairways and 14 greens. Missed 3 of 4 greens with a SW, so could've been even better.

Negatives :

- PUTTING!!! 36 stabs both days. Combined SG of -11.4 over the 2 days.

Next one coming up is The Bobby Locke Open beginning of November. Putting has sharpened up since then, so should be all systems go by then!

Is it too early to post about next year's plans/goals?

I played in my first ever tournament this past year and I've definitely got the bug.

Tsi3 7.25* Velocore Black 6x

Tsi3 16.5* Tensei Raw White 75x

TM P770 3i Velocore Black HB 9x

Mizuno YORO MP5 4-PW - Modus 120x

TM MG 51*, 55*

TM Hi Toe 64*

Yamada Emperor 34"

Snell MTBx

Is it too early to post about next year's plans/goals?

I played in my first ever tournament this past year and I've definitely got the bug.

Of course not. For many guys, the season is either coming to an end or already over! Definitely post your plans for the upcoming year!

Just as the Scottish season is coming to an end! Did shoot -14 scratch in a scramble yesterday........for 3rd place!!!!

Would definitely love to hear your plans for the coming year. What tournaments do you plan to play. What are your strengths and weaknesses, etc.

I had the pleasure of playing in Scotland four years ago. Amazing.

Carnoustie (Loved it!)

Old Course (Easily in my top 10 all time)

Jubilee (Tight, tough, and a blast!)

Castle (HORRIBLE)

Kingsbarns (Heaven on earth)

Just as the Scottish season is coming to an end! Did shoot -14 scratch in a scramble yesterday........for 3rd place!!!!

Would definitely love to hear your plans for the coming year. What tournaments do you plan to play. What are your strengths and weaknesses, etc.

Carnoustie (Loved it!)

Castle (HORRIBLE)

I only disagree on one of those.

If they made huge improvements to the castle course and made it significantly better, it would then achieve the level of horrible.

• Like 1

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

Carnoustie (Loved it!)

Castle (HORRIBLE)

I'm Scottish and I've played them all bar Carnoustie.

I actually had my first game on the Castle 6 weeks ago and nah, it wasn't for me at all. Kingsbarns however is a gem. Played it again on Sunday afternoon, sun was out, flat calm. Played out my skin. +6 with a treble at a par 3.

If I can knock another stroke off my 'cap next season then I can try and participate in your scratch am thread Obee.

• Like 1

I'm hoping with the new owner at our course we'll have some real tournaments outside our club championship and interclub Ryder cup tournament. Can't really take time off work to play and practice in some of the state/USGA am stuff.

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

I love tournament golf. The "majors" for me every year:

MN State Sr. Open

MN State Sr. Public Links

My own clubs Sr. Club Championship (we have some really good seniors)

MN State Sr. Amateur

When I can get my regular partner out of the house, I play in the Sr. Four Ball and the pubinks version of the Sr. Four Ball. Love playing that format, but it doesn't get me as charged up and nervous as the first four.

2018 was a disappointment because I played poorly in these events that mean the most to me.

• Like 1

Ok, Obee. Great prompt. I see from your awesome spreadsheet there is a SCGA Sr Am Championship in June next year. A 9 index is needed (ha... we guys at 5-9 pay for the subsequent rounds for those who advance). But I'm going to target that process. There are two cuts, one after the first round, then a second after 2 more rounds. My goal would be to make the first cut... looks like mid-70's is needed. That's doable.

That's a great goal for me, thanks for posting this. I will keep this thread updated.

i

• Like 1

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

I'm an NCGA member, besides that how should I be researching the tournament scene in my area (Fresno CA)?

I am an NCGA member as well, however you handicap if its correct on here, You wouldn't be able to apply for any of the championship events. But the NCGA website is very helpful as far as finding tournaments and applying for them

Ive been away from competitive golf for 4-5 years. This 2019 season will be me getting back into it and playing with all the kiddies lol.

Plans so far are all the NCGA qualifiers, Cal state Am qualifier and depending where my game is at I will do the US am and midam qualifiers. Depending on time and $$$ I will play the local city tournaments that I know the course well.

My handicap however is reflecting about 4-5 stroke worse than when I was playing a lot of tournament golf. So I need to focus on that lol. Plan on getting into more data analysis since my practice time is no longer what it use to be.

Thankfully I play with a group of some of the best Mid-ams and seniors in the area in a skinsgame... a lot of donating on my part but it's always best to play with better players than you... right?

• Like 1

PXG 0311XF Gen 5 7.5* Ventus Black 6X
Titleist 913D2 12* UST Mamiya Tour Green 75X
PXG Gen5 19* Ventus Black 10TX
Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
Taylormade Spider Long Broomstick
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

Of course not. For many guys, the season is either coming to an end or already over! Definitely post your plans for the upcoming year!

Due to my back injury I was only able to play in one (and my first ever http://www.golfwrx.c...ent-experience/) tournament this year. Hoping to get 3 to 4 in next year but going to take it one at a time.

Vancouver is a bit hurting for Am events but here's what I have planned...

Marine Drive Amateur - first week of June

BC Zone 4 Amateur - end of June (but I might be in LA for a wedding so maybe the BC (state) Mid-Am instead)

Maybe something in August if my back is OK.

Bellingham Amateur - beginning of Sept

Goals: I want to win all three events.

Realistic goals:

- I want to shoot nothing higher than 79 and make the cut in the Zone or Mid-Am.

- Enjoy golf and stay focused on PSR on EVERY shot

Great idea for this thread Dave! Super excited to practice for next year.

Tsi3 7.25* Velocore Black 6x

Tsi3 16.5* Tensei Raw White 75x

TM P770 3i Velocore Black HB 9x

Mizuno YORO MP5 4-PW - Modus 120x

TM MG 51*, 55*

TM Hi Toe 64*

Yamada Emperor 34"

Snell MTBx

I am an NCGA member as well, however you handicap if its correct on here, You wouldn't be able to apply for any of the championship events. But the NCGA website is very helpful as far as finding tournaments and applying for them

Ive been away from competitive golf for 4-5 years. This 2019 season will be me getting back into it and playing with all the kiddies lol.

Plans so far are all the NCGA qualifiers, Cal state Am qualifier and depending where my game is at I will do the US am and midam qualifiers. Depending on time and $$$ I will play the local city tournaments that I know the course well.

My handicap however is reflecting about 4-5 stroke worse than when I was playing a lot of tournament golf. So I need to focus on that lol. Plan on getting into more data analysis since my practice time is no longer what it use to be.

Thankfully I play with a group of some of the best Mid-ams and seniors in the area in a skinsgame... a lot of donating on my part but it's always best to play with better players than you... right?

Thanks for the info - what does one's index need to be to qualify for these tournaments?

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Thanks for the info - what does one's index need to be to qualify for these tournaments?

I take it back... your handicap is fine... looks like you need 5.4 or lower

For some reason I thought it had to be like a 3 or better my apologies

PXG 0311XF Gen 5 7.5* Ventus Black 6X
Titleist 913D2 12* UST Mamiya Tour Green 75X
PXG Gen5 19* Ventus Black 10TX
Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
Taylormade Spider Long Broomstick
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

Awesome thread Obee!

I'm currently 7.2 (but formerly been as low as 1.6 back in my 30s) => determined to get back sub 5 for my age 55 year (Sr Am eligibility). Turn 55 in August 2019...

Step 1 starts with a visit to Dan C (iteachgolf) this Thursday - leave tomorrow to Jax!! Cannot wait...

I'm in MSGA (Maryland)

In 2019 I intend to play GC AM Tour events (as many as I can fit in) + Md State Md-Am & Md State Sr Am, and possibly the same for WMGA (Wash Metro area) events (Mid & Sr Am).

And if game is decent by summer - probably try USGA Sr Am qualifying...

I think my days of trying the regular Am events are over - college kids win all of those!

I'll follow back up in 2019 with actual registrations, results, etc

TM R1
TM Rbz Stage2 3w (15) & 3 hyb (19)
Mizuno MP-64 4-Pw
Mizuno MP-T5 50-7
Titleist Vokey SM-4 54-8 & 58-12
Ping TR 1966 Anser2

Love these replies, guys. Keep 'em comin'!

I have two events in the next 7 days. Richardson Memorial at Seawane on Thursday (and hopefully Friday and Saturday). It's on the water and last year was blowing crazy. Forecast for Thursday is cold and breezy. Lovely. Top 16 go into matchplay. Probably about 73 or 74 to qualify is my guess.

Then Monday/Tuesday next week is the Sarazen Invitational at Fresh Meadow. Good fun golf course. It's two rounds, cut after first round to 30 and ties. Probably about 76 or 77 gets through. Last year I was about middle of the pack making the cut going into round 2. Was really windy and dark when we started. They pushed tee times early because of the weather. Interesting. Made 8 at the last. Plugged my approach in the back of a bunker. Couldn't get it out, then tried to get cute and didn't get it out again. Then knocked it out to about 10 feet. Started to rake the bunker. Playing partner said "you should mark that first". The wind blew my ball off the green as I was running up there to mark it. Chipped up to about 4 feet above the hole and missed it. Not my finest hour. Rest of the round was not too bad as long as I wasn't between 50 and 100 yards away. Then I couldn't hit the green.

Thursday should be interesting. Second game out. Realfeel is going to be 29 and I haven't played since 9/26. Range is irons only and the first hole is tight. Haven't decided how I'm going to play it yet. Will depend on the wind direction.

Ping G400 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump x
Srixon ZX Utility 19 UST Recoil 95x

Srixon ZX7 4-AW C-taper S+

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Odyssey Eleven Tour-Lined Slant

Carnoustie (Loved it!)

Castle (HORRIBLE)

I only disagree on one of those.

If they made huge improvements to the castle course and made it significantly better, it would then achieve the level of horrible.

It's hard to put into words just how awful the place is, isn't it? It's so ridiculously, horribly contrived. You can miss on the correct side of a tough hole, hit a pretty good pitch shot, roll off the green and 40 yards away. And that's from the LONG side of some greens!!! LOL!!!

My local club championships is always a highlight. Lots of scratch or + guys so takes a good 36 hole score to qualify. I'd like to progress to the match play, not getting enough play time to challenge for it.

Weakness - Driving - it is causing too many headaches and not setting up enough strong birdie setup chances. This was highlighted at the weekend scramble, my team mate was genuinely hitting middle of every fairway 300ish, it really makes mince meat of most holes doing that.

Strengths - 160yrds inwards - skytrak is really helping me bring my proximity to the hole in from this range.

Everything else is mediocre just not given lack of play time.

2014 Low 2.9
2015 Low 2.6
2016 Low 2.1
2017 Target 1.4
2018 Target 0.4
2019 Target +15
Current 0.2

Awesome thread pal !

I’m working on my schedule for next year now. I’ll be sure to post when I have it figured out.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Due to injury, I only played 4 rounds of golf last year. I’m hoping to be healed up and play a few events. If I get back to my previous level of play, US Open qualifying will be what I have my eyes set on. But I have to say something that people might not like so get your pitchforks ready...

I hate that Bobby Jones quote! (one must remember the reasons why Jones said that; he lost some 15-20 pounds during the course of tournaments and would get extremely ill). Golf is golf. It takes some adjustment getting used to tournament pressure and conditions, but it’s the same game. The mental hurdle is as big as you make it out to be.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: PXG 0311XF Gen 5 4 Wood; Smoke iM10 Green 70 TX D6

Irons: PXG 0317X; PXG 0311T Gen 5; 5-GW DG 105 X D7

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

Due to injury, I only played 4 rounds of golf last year. I'm hoping to be healed up and play a few events. If I get back to my previous level of play, US Open qualifying will be what I have my eyes set on. But I have to say something that people might not like so get your pitchforks ready...

I hate that Bobby Jones quote! (one must remember the reasons why Jones said that; he lost some 15-20 pounds during the course of tournaments and would get extremely ill). Golf is golf. It takes some adjustment getting used to tournament pressure and conditions, but it's the same game. The mental hurdle is as big as you make it out to be.

Plenty of people make that hurdle plenty big, my friend! My goal in pointing it out is to help more people over it. :-)

Due to injury, I only played 4 rounds of golf last year. I'm hoping to be healed up and play a few events. If I get back to my previous level of play, US Open qualifying will be what I have my eyes set on. But I have to say something that people might not like so get your pitchforks ready...

I hate that Bobby Jones quote! (one must remember the reasons why Jones said that; he lost some 15-20 pounds during the course of tournaments and would get extremely ill). Golf is golf. It takes some adjustment getting used to tournament pressure and conditions, but it's the same game. The mental hurdle is as big as you make it out to be.

Plenty of people make that hurdle plenty big, my friend! My goal in pointing it out is to help more people over it. :-)

I agree with you that plenty do. My approach is just different than yours in that I directly attack a beloved figure in the game of golf :) for the record I love Robert T. Jones. Please nobody hack my computer and steal my identity as payback.

• Like 1

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: PXG 0311XF Gen 5 4 Wood; Smoke iM10 Green 70 TX D6

Irons: PXG 0317X; PXG 0311T Gen 5; 5-GW DG 105 X D7

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip