Switched from Pov's to Pinnacle Soft!

Chowdah86

I've played pro v 1s for years. I love the control they have around the green. You can really count on them to stop like a lawn dart, no matter the conditions. Accuracy has always been a stretngth of mine, and I can often hold onto a ball for several rounds, gettting rid of it when it gets too scuffed up. Im not a bomb it and find it guy. Thats why I have always justified buying the ProV1 or its cheaper version, the pro v practice. Its just such a great ball and I tend not to lose too many balls.

Recently, I've been playing at a really narrow, tough course. Water hazards everywhere, super tight, condo/treelined fairways etc. Im a frugal guy, and after watching a couple fresh, still dewy, prov1's roll off the back of a green into the water or catch a limb and dissapear into some mysterious leaf covered stone wall, Im done with them. Thats $5 bucks, every time that happens! I graduated college in the midst of the recession with 90k in student debt. I ate condiment sandwiches and slept on a futon in a garden level apartment that had a rodent problem for three years while I hustled my way up the corporate ladder. Those days are over, I have a great job now and the loans are nearly paid off. But those experiences have left me cheap for life.

Anyway, I could have tried hawking some cheaper previous season urethane balls, or going the used route etc, but I prefer to play with new balls and I like the consistancy of using the same ball all the time. So a couple of weeks ago, I went to the other end of the spectrum and grabbed a 15 pack of pinnacle soft's and gave em a go. They're great! I tested them against the pro v's in all sorts of situations. Even on super fast greens, the differences are not as monumental as I assumed. Sure, if Im shortsided out of the bunker, I miss the pro v. But its not an absolute disaster. The ball just rolls a couple more feet. Not 15 feet. Like 2 or 3 more feet! I can adjust for this. Its really not that big of a deal to me. Yes, they birdie! You can Birdie with a pinnacle. I have had some awesome rounds with them. My score has not gone up at all!

The real test for me is a 6 iron to the green. The pinnacles rolled 2-5' from thier mark, the prov's stopped around 2' from where they were. I may be slightly higher spin and tradjectory than most so YMMV. I say give em a try.

I never thought I'd be a pinnacle guy. But Im really excited about this cheap Word not allowed ball. I've really started to look at the equipment differently recently. Im really starting to see that the differnces in equipment are really minute. Just for fun, I played a round with my GF's graphite shafted ladies blades from the 70's or 80's. These things are a world apart from my super heavy s300 shafted irons with +1/2". The round was just like any other.

Anyway, just rambling here I guess. Back to work.... Gottta pay the rest of those loans.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pinnacle is a Titleist brand anyway right? Regardless there are lots of good balls that can be had for less than $2 a ball. Unless you are playing on a tour and being supplied ball for free, I see no reason to pay $50 a dozen.

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
Srixon 585 5-AW - Modus 105 Stiff
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

Another very good Pinnacle ball is the "exception". I played it many years ago and it still can be found at places like Golfballsdirect.com which sells new ones I think, not used for cheap.

There have been alot of deals lately on new balls like the Srixon Z-Star's for $20 a dozen. Topflite Gamer for $15 for two dozen, etc. Just have to look around.

Another very good Pinnacle ball is the "exception". I played it many years ago and it still can be found at places like Golfballsdirect.com which sells new ones I think, not used for cheap.

There have been alot of deals lately on new balls like the Srixon Z-Star's for $20 a dozen. Topflite Gamer for $15 for two dozen, etc. Just have to look around.

I used to use the pinnacle exceptions and played some of my best rounds with them. Never found a pinnacle like it since but I have not tried many

I found a Noodle Long and Soft Friday the higher compression one not the +. Started playing it to save my Pro V 1x. I hit a 3 iron on 200 yard par 3; it hit the front edge bounced once pretty high and stopped. I hit the ball pretty high and play United SBB1 blades so I may get more spin than others, but I was impressed. I was chipping pretty well that day but was also impressed with chips there was some roll out but I played for it using a 56 MD3 and the Noodle performed exactly as expected. Off the tee and on longer fairway shots I didn't notice much difference if anything it flew straighter and thus a bit longer. GG has 15 packs for $14.99 right now; for $1 a ball I think once I'm out of Pro Vs and the bulk pack of Vice Pro Plus I got as a gift I may just switch to the Noodle. Leaves more cash to play the market ?

I used to use the pinnacle exceptions and played some of my best rounds with them. Never found a pinnacle like it since but I have not tried many

I haven't tried many Pinnacle's in my life but when I found the Exception back then and I am talking about many, many years I thought it was a great ball and they ran only about $15 or so a dozen. I played some great rounds too back then. Me and a few guys basically only played them as our ball of choice.

Now I am not sure if the ones offered today are the same ball spec wise but if it is, for about $1 a ball its worth it. I never knew if they were a three piece or two piece or what either! Still don't but they just worked.

I am glad to find out another fan of PS like myself. I saw some wrxers mentioning how great PS is. Never believed it. One day I found a stray PS and played. I became a believer and converted a dear friend of mine as well. IMO, better than Srixon SF, Bstone Extra Soft and Titleist DTsoft. Yet to compare Snell GS and some other balls in the same league. PS indeed carries and bites.

@ dsg, I grabbed the last PS in stock for $6.25/dzn. Unfortunately dsg no longer carries PS. If you see PS either GG or DSG, try it for yourself.

My big thing this year was clearing everything out so I just own my set of golf clubs. Very liberating I have to say.

The other thing I have settled on is as long as you are using a proper (2 piece/surlyn upwards) golf ball it really won't make that much difference to your game unless you are playing at a high standard, so going as cheap as you can is sensible if you are still losing a few.

• 2 months later...

I normally use Wilson DUOs or Callaway Supersofts. I have also used different Pinnacle models in the past. Yesterday, I found a Pinnacle Rush on the course (looked new). Put it in play and at impact, it felt/sounded like I was hitting a weighted whiffle ball - very plastic like.

Rush and Soft are pretty different in feel. I hope you find Soft next time.

IMO, PS is not as bouncy as DUO and slightly clickier than Supersoft.

The low compression balls have great feel, go a long way with the irons, and fly plenty long with a driver. But if you think they will spin around the green like a ProV, not even close.....

This may be just fine for a lot of players who either play slower greens, rely on softer floating pitches that don't spin, or more running shots. To each his own, and the price is certainly better.

I play them in the winter when it's cold, the greens are soft and mushy, and haven't been mown in 2 months.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

• 2 weeks later...

Are they still making this ball? The reason I asked was because last week while playing vintage golf I found one. Decided to try it. Was actually getting 3 to 5 yards more out of the persimmon Cleveland driver I was hitting. What impressed me was the feel and spin hitting a set of 1954 Hogan Precisions. Actually lost that ball 4 holes later on a 3 iron lay up that I hit too far on a Par 4 and drove it into a hazard. I have not had time to check but what kind of price range are they in?

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

Are they still making this ball? The reason I asked was because last week while playing vintage golf I found one. Decided to try it. Was actually getting 3 to 5 yards more out of the persimmon Cleveland driver I was hitting. What impressed me was the feel and spin hitting a set of 1954 Hogan Precisions. Actually lost that ball 4 holes later on a 3 iron lay up that I hit too far on a Par 4 and drove it into a hazard. I have not had time to check but what kind of price range are they in?

About 15 bucks at Walmart. They are available on Walmart.com as well. I thought they were average. For a low cost soft two piece ball with low-medium compression, I prefer Srixon Soft feel or Bridgeston Extra Soft.

• 3 weeks later...

unfortunately, pinn soft doesnt come in yellow, so i switched to CS cuz i like the yellow, and bought 8 dozen on sale...but recently i decided to play pinn soft, and the distance was noticeably greater off the tee, as well as irons...plus i like chipping and putting with the soft...this was on 2 courses i play a lot, and know how far, and where, i hit the ball...it really wasnt a contest...pinn soft works better for me! it's not a rock. it's the perfect feeling of soft, but you still feel like you hit something other than a marshmallow...

um...anybody in the austin area wanna buy some chrome softs? cheap?

unfortunately, pinn soft doesnt come in yellow, so i switched to CS cuz i like the yellow, and bought 8 dozen on sale...but recently i decided to play pinn soft, and the distance was noticeably greater off the tee, as well as irons...plus i like chipping and putting with the soft...this was on 2 courses i play a lot, and know how far, and where, i hit the ball...it really wasnt a contest...pinn soft works better for me! it's not a rock. it's the perfect feeling of soft, but you still feel like you hit something other than a marshmallow...

um...anybody in the austin area wanna buy some chrome softs? cheap?

how about switching to pink PS? nobody will ever take it. LOL. I use pink letter'd PS. Works just fine as the regular version.

glad to see another PS fan.