Question for guys with golfing wife/GF

KSP

how many people have hooked up with their wife/GF/fiance on the course?

+1 here

4 times.

1 GF - premarital

1 with wife as fiance (at a wedding reception)

1 as wife (vacation)

1 solo stylee

Fergie, that's 4 things we learned about you today that we really didn't need to know.

LOL, if he's admitting to 1 for number 4, it's really more like 100! Thank God in 2019 when he's solo he doesn't need to take the stick out.

Fergie taking Braille at the community college on weekends just because.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

+1 here

4 times.

1 GF - premarital

1 as wife (vacation)

1 solo stylee

Fergie, that's 4 things we learned about you today that we really didn't need to know.

LOL, if he's admitting to 1 for number 4, it's really more like 100! Thank God in 2019 when he's solo he doesn't need to take the stick out.

People always embellish on message boards.

+1 here

4 times.

1 GF - premarital

1 as wife (vacation)

1 solo stylee

People always embellish on message boards.

Does that mean you really don’t dislike Phil that much?!

We live in a golf community. We both work. We have a twilight membership at the course we live on so we can play afternoons (which is perfect since we both work). She has her golf groups, I have my golf groups. We play together at least once a week and we play with a great group of couples on Sunday's who have become some of our closest friends. That is the best of all worlds.

But to top it all off, she had her first hole in one a month and a half ago while we were playing together... On the same hole I had a hole in one on about 3 years ago playing with her. I think I was happier for her then she was herself. It was a great experience to share. She is my favorite playing partner (but I think she prefers playing with her gals groups), and I am very happy that she took up the game when we started dating 30+ years ago. I totally disagree with the conclusion drawn by the golf digest article.

How to play golf.
Hit the ball.
Find the ball
Repeat until the ball is in the hole.
Have fun.
...Chuck Hogan

We live in a golf community. We both work. We have a twilight membership at the course we live on so we can play afternoons (which is perfect since we both work). She has her golf groups, I have my golf groups. We play together at least once a week and we play with a great group of couples on Sunday's who have become some of our closest friends. That is the best of all worlds.

But to top it all off, she had her first hole in one a month and a half ago while we were playing together... On the same hole I had a hole in one on about 3 years ago playing with her. I think I was happier for her then she was herself. It was a great experience to share. She is my favorite playing partner (but I think she prefers playing with her gals groups), and I am very happy that she took up the game when we started dating 30+ years ago. I totally disagree with the conclusion drawn by the golf digest article.

I actually share that same sentiment. My fiance had a couple surgeries during her Sr year of college golf and this was her first summer back. I enjoy watching her play well again more than playing well myself. She was a top jr golfer (7+ years ago) and I know how it kills her when she plays poorly or is hurting from her injuries, but when she is playing well I think I am the only one happier than her.

• 1 month later...

My wife played competitive golf on her high school team. We played a lot together when we first got married, but she doesn't want to put the time into practicing like she did in school and gets frustrated with her level of play with no practice. We play a few rounds a year together now, but she just doesn't love it like I do. On the plus side, she completely understands if I go to the range or am headed out to play and is more than happy to go shopping.

Taylormade Sim2 10.5° (turned down to 9°) - Tensei White 60 stiff

Ping G400 3 and 5 Woods - Diamana D+ Limited 70 stiff

Ping G400 22° Hybrid - Diamana D+ 90 Stiff

Ping i200 5-UW - Modus Tour 105 stiff

Vokey SM4 54° and 58° - DGS-300

Cameron Special Select Newport 2

As a side note....never...ever...talk to the hot cart girl while playing with the wife. Never.

Good point, always ask your wife if you guys can take the cart girl home BEFORE approaching them.

In other news;

I'm stuck at work today and my wife is out at the range hitting balls and about to play a solo 18.

Not sure how this happened.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

• 1 month later...

True story...when I was at Purdue Univ, we held a 'deptartment golf outing' which consisted of a mix of faculty, graduate students, and some undergrads. As the organizer, one young lady freshman undergraduate asked if she could play and I said sure, we love to have women join us, you're the only one, I hope that doesn't bother you (I knew her from seeing her around, enough to easily start a conversation, but did not know her that well). She said no problem, great. Ok, so at the course, we break up the people into various 4-some's and she ends up in my group. As we come up to the men's tees, she appears like she is going to tee off from the men's tees with us. So I casually mention, "uhm, there's lady tees up there if you want to play from them?", to which she replied, ahh, rather than play alone and have you all stop there, I'll just play with you guys....so I didn't want to press the issue so I said, sure OK (figuring, ok, golf will take a little longer than normal today). So all the guys teed off first (don't know why, that wasn't gentlemanly) and then she gets up and smoke all our drives :swoon: . Wow, what just happened. Someone says, lucky drive. OK, so by the 3rd/4th hole, and she is smoking all of us guys, and after the other guys in the group was making curious statements like "who is she?", I asked for all of us, "you play very very well, what's the back story here?"..... to which she said, "she was the Indiana top-female high school golfer of the year last year" and she was offered college golf scholarships but she just wanted to focus on her school work. Wow.

GHIN Index 12.9
LH Epic Flash Driver-LH, 10.5*, Project X EvenFlow Riptide 50 (Light)
LH Callaway Rogue 5-wood (18*), 7-wood (20*); Aldila Synergy 60-Reg
LH Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4-AW, Recoil Dart 75 F3
LH Cleveland RTX 50*, 54*, 58*
LH Odyssey Double Wide Stroke Lab Putter

Me and the wife try and play at least once a week. Usually we play a quick 9 after her work. We don't keep score, nor do we take it too seriously. A great way to get out of the house and unwind, enjoying a few drinks and celebrating the good shots while forgetting the bad ones.

She's pretty athletic so she catches on quickly. Can smash a drive too when she get's a hold of it, seen her smash a couple 230+ yard drives.

• 2 weeks later...

In a recent article from golf digest (I think), they asked golfers how satisfied they are with their golfing life/setup. Not related to scores, just overall satisfaction with the game. Not surprisingly, single guys were the most satisfied. Not far behind were married guys with non golfing spouse. What shocked me is that golfers with wife/gf who actually played golf had the lowest satisfaction, by far.

It doesn’t make any sense to me. I assumed that having a golfing wife made it a million times easier to get out on the course. I’m married and my wife doesn’t play. I get out a decent amount, but I’m always strategizing ways to make it to the course.

I was just wondering if anybody who has a golfing spouse or knows people who do, could explain why their satisfaction scores were so low.

Play golf with my wife a couple of times a week for decades. I feel very fortunate that she likes it almost as much as me. We have fun when we are paired with others and you can tell they are thinking Oh No two old farts that will cramp our style. She will shoot in the eighties/nineties and me a single digit hdcp.

��������

That is one of my favorite things. I feel like guys we get paired with are usually worried at first. Then they usually get beat by 20-30 shots by my fiance when she shoots around par and they struggle to break 90.

• 2 weeks later...

It depends how good your Mrs is at golf i guess, if she's knocking it 5 yards along the floor everytime it would get frustrating, if she's outdriving and playing you it may become emasculating.

I'd love it if my Mrs. played golf, would be able to get up there much more but I must admit it's nice to have 'me' time which could be difficult with shared hobbies.

I find it cool if the guy enjoys golfing with his wife. however, I think I can speak for many married guys that we golf to get away. LOL

I golf to compete. Being a college athlete and playing sports at high levels my whole life I miss it now that I don't play any organized competitive sports. Golf is my way to do that now. Luckily we have pretty good matches against each other because she is the same way. I played 70 times last year, she played with me about 30 or so (she has a tougher work schedule). I'd honestly prefer her to play with me more, but it isn't possible. She is far more talented when it comes to golf, she never practices and played half as much and still beats me half the time.

I've never really felt the need to get away from much. I guess if I do then I go to the gym or get on the bike.

I keep trying to get my wife to play. She wouldn’t hit it 50’ but so what. she’d pick up the ball and move it. It’d just be a fun walk. But she does not want to, thinks it’s good for us to have separate time and fears I’d get impatient (can’t imagine where she got that idea. Oops)

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

I keep trying to get my wife to play. She wouldn’t hit it 50’ but so what. she’d pick up the ball and move it. It’d just be a fun walk. But she does not want to, thinks it’s good for us to have separate time and fears I’d get impatient (can’t imagine where she got that idea. Oops)

It is tough at times, especially with my wife being a complete and total beginner. She gets frustrated because she can’t hit the ball well, so I try to help her. Then I get frustrated because she won’t listen to the advice I give, even though I am a single digit index who knows a few things about the golf swing.

99% of the round is the most fun I think I can have on a golf course. That 1% though.....lol

I've taken my wife golfing 3 times. I found it more enjoyable when it was on vacation and on an empty course where I'm not pressing her to keep pace. I also have a system so its more fun for both of us. On par 5's she tees off from 200y marker. Par 4's she tees off at 150y marker. Par 3's she plays the womens tee. If anytime we get behind, she just picks up and drops on the green. She's made a few bogeys this way, she can't manage bunkers yet. And she usually loses interest around hole 7 and is even bored driving the cart after maybe 11. But she'll just pinterest from the passenger seat for the rest of the round.

Its enjoyable. She recognizes when I hit good shots and its nice to get a complement from time to time. Just have fun, and don't expect her to love it and be invested in a full 18 playing from ladies tees.

On a broader gender note, I wish women would be more open to being paired with random guys. When I was in L.A. we had an app called GolfMatch and it was full of people looking to fill their tee times. The "womenwithdrive" people on Instagram always posted openings but always posted "Women only." I get it but at the same time, not all of us are oogly eyed pigs. Some of us just like to golf with other golfers, preferably decent handicapped ones. Also, I just want a decent tee time at that course on a weekend and if you have a spot to fill, I'll join.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

I think it depends on the relationship. If you guys get along great and do other activities together that could be considered competitive, then I See it being good. However...if you have a meh relationship maybe or you're both highly competitive, I could see it not being fun. Imagine your wife who nags you about how you "didn't fold the laundry right" trying to critique your ever move on the course. No thanks.

I'm married and my wife hates golf with a passion. Thinks it's dumb, refuses to go to Tour events with me and hates when I'm watching on TV. However, she understands I like it and lets me play within a reasonable amount. As long as I don't pick golf over her and her needs, she's fine. I don't get hammered and end up missing for 8 hours a day. I'm reasonable about it. Play twice a week and I'm usually in and out within 4 hours.

True story...when I was at Purdue Univ, we held a 'deptartment golf outing' which consisted of a mix of faculty, graduate students, and some undergrads. As the organizer, one young lady freshman undergraduate asked if she could play and I said sure, we love to have women join us, you're the only one, I hope that doesn't bother you (I knew her from seeing her around, enough to easily start a conversation, but did not know her that well). She said no problem, great. Ok, so at the course, we break up the people into various 4-some's and she ends up in my group. As we come up to the men's tees, she appears like she is going to tee off from the men's tees with us. So I casually mention, "uhm, there's lady tees up there if you want to play from them?", to which she replied, ahh, rather than play alone and have you all stop there, I'll just play with you guys....so I didn't want to press the issue so I said, sure OK (figuring, ok, golf will take a little longer than normal today). So all the guys teed off first (don't know why, that wasn't gentlemanly) and then she gets up and smoke all our drives :swoon: . Wow, what just happened. Someone says, lucky drive. OK, so by the 3rd/4th hole, and she is smoking all of us guys, and after the other guys in the group was making curious statements like "who is she?", I asked for all of us, "you play very very well, what's the back story here?"..... to which she said, "she was the Indiana top-female high school golfer of the year last year" and she was offered college golf scholarships but she just wanted to focus on her school work. Wow.

North or South Course? I have lots of great memories of playing while at Purdue.... way back in the 80's....

My wife and I golf at least 5 times a week and we both play league golf at separate clubs on Thursday nights. I guess I got lucky my wife stayed at home and took care of the kids until they got old enough. I played softball 3 nights a week during that period of our life. Once I figured out at 40 years old I could not keep up with the 20 year olds I played softball with I took up golf. A few years after that my wife asked if I wouldn't mind teaching her and I taught her as much as I could. We both loved it ended up taking lessons and now live and breath golf, as I type this we are watching it snow outside and we are watching golf channel. Again I must have got lucky and we are both chomping at the bit for next season.

With or without the Mrs. I treat the cart girl well and with respect. I want her to want to visit my group again and often. I don't want her to dread and avoid the group because of creepy and inappropriate behavior.

I agree with you 100%, I like a nice looking young ladies just as much as the next guy does but trying to impress the cart girl is just a dick move and most times actually slows play down and honestly everyone should be treated with respect.