Golf Logix 5.2 Now with Putt Breaks, Green Maps

I used the app again yesterday I find it useful for the approach shot view and putt view. This gives me a good idea of what the green is doing. I still found myself using golfshot plus more as I like the look of that one, plus I've been using it for years. I wish they would add something similar for green breaks on it.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tried Golf Logix for the first time today. Some thoughts:

- The green maps are cumbersome - very cool feature, however you have to place the flag and the ball on every hole. This may not seem like much, however, when placing the two, the map does not rotate to your current orientation, which can be disorienting. There's also quite a bit of room for error with judging the right distance / where exactly to place each. This may be user error as it was the first time I tried the program, however it seems like an idea that will be fantastic with another 6 months of development, but isn't quite there yet.

- The watch interaction seems ... odd - with Hole 19, when I complete a hole on my phone, the watch will update as well. This does not seem to be the case with Golf Logix (unless there's a setting I'm missing). The seem to operate somewhat independently. That said, WOW, I love the various distances the watch gives - particularly the yardage to lay up for a 100 yard shot. Seems simple, but it convinced me to make a smart play on more than one occasion rather than taking the "get it as close as I can" approach - simply by being there by default. LOVE THIS. Just wish the sync would work a bit better.

I have a ton more thoughts, but maybe this isn't the right thread - and this beer ain't gonna drink itself.

SIM2 Graphite Design Ventus TR 60X

PXG Gen 3, Project X

Epic 3w/5w/4h - Tour AD-DI

Wedgeworks SM8 55D / 60T

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

After placing the cup and ball, it would be nice to have the app place a putting line to really show the break and where to aim.

That would depend on green speed. And take even more skill sway from the game.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (DI-95X, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 50*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

After another round with the app, I found that I love the watch interaction even more. It seems that entering the score on the watch changes holes on the app, but not vice verse.

The putt break piece went unused. It just seems to slow things down more than I’m comfortable with.

That said, I might use it more if they made the ball / hole placement thing optional,and instead defaulted to making the map rotate to your current alignment. Actually, if that were included, I might even use the placement features. As it stands, it’s just odd to have to stand over the ball and rotate in your head while estimating distance. I realize I could adjust my routine to walk up to the green, pull up the screen, and place the two - but that also assumes I’m in the fairway. When you miss to a side and chip on, walking to the front to then place the items is pretty cumbersome

PXG Gen 3, Project X

Wedgeworks SM8 55D / 60T

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

I am torn on this technology for everyday golfers (even for pros). It is amazing that this much green detail is available to the masses and in the palm of your hand. That said, I think this is another slow play contributor that removes some skill from the game. I don't want to play a 5 hour round and I don't want to watch one on TV either. I can just see it now the foursome in front of me all breaking out their phones to set pin and ball locations and then interpret the map and then walk the putt anyway to verify and then finally miss the putt and start all over again (x4). Reading greens is a skill just like many other parts of the game. This skill needs to be a reward to those that can master it (just like many other golf skills). Pros have had these maps for several years now and the putting stats on tour from specific distances (3', 6' 12'...etc.) have not improved a statistically significant amount as a result of these maps and these are the best in the world who have the ability to putt the ball on the line they choose at a much better rate than the average joe golfer. Part of me applauds the technology and geeks out on it and part of me loathes it and wishes that we would move things back to being more skill based and work to improve those skills in order to improve our game. I'll be curious to see how this evolves and how the average golfer uses it. The purpose of technology comes down to how we leverage it to improve results and our quality of life...That said if you bust out your phone on the green and take more than 30 seconds to figure the line on a 3 foot putt and 10-15 more seconds to put the ball in motion and I'm behind you then we will both have long days and that won't be a good thing for anyones quality of life.... especially after you miss the putt.

I am going to test it and if i like it i will order it for the year.

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

• 1 month later...

There is an update to the app. Now you can rotate the green with two fingers to match your angle and view of the green and measure lines to the edge of the green to accurately place the ball and the cup. Problem is that app crashes after downloading a course. They still need to be able to blow up the hole to more accurately place the cup on the green. And allow putt made/missed distances and distance from the hole in regulation to be put in for stats.

Ping Vault Arna

• 1 month later...

More and more courses are being added, a few that I play often. The green maps are still as accurate as ever. I'm not dropping the flag and green ball. I just look at where my ball is and where the pin is. I can say with a lot of confidence that this app saves me a stroke or two per round.

Ping Vault Arna

• 1 month later...

Just tried it this week on an Android phone and agree on most of the points here... The breaks are accurate, and impact to pace of play is a big negative.

Also viewing the app depictions on golflogix.com, and the introduction video, I can say the Putt Break feature DOES NOT appear on my phone as depicted on their web site! Instead, it looks like the pictures shown here (https://www.thehackersparadise.com/golf-logix-interview-golf-unfiltered-151/). The reality on Android is far less intuitive than the web site would lead one to believe.

Are the website depictions accurate for iPhone?

Just tried it this week on an Android phone and agree on most of the points here... The breaks are accurate, and impact to pace of play is a big negative.

Also viewing the app depictions on golflogix.com, and the introduction video, I can say the Putt Break feature DOES NOT appear on my phone as depicted on their web site! Instead, it looks like the pictures shown here (https://www.thehackersparadise.com/golf-logix-interview-golf-unfiltered-151/). The reality on Android is far less intuitive than the web site would lead one to believe.

Are the website depictions accurate for iPhone?

That was the old green rendering. The new one is what you’re seeing. I like the old one better.

Ping Vault Arna

I paid for putt breaks, but man - it’s cumbersome. The new UI is even worse than the old one.

My biggest issue with the app is that I enter my score on my phone, but the hole doesn’t sync over to my watch. Instead I have to manually change holes on my watch which is slow AF.

I have the option of inputting score on my watch, and that WILL change the hole on my phone, it’s too small to engage with, and I can’t enter things like bunkers, pitches, etc.

Might be lookin for a new app after this subscription runs out. This is too expensive to be this cumbersome and poorly serviced

PXG Gen 3, Project X

Wedgeworks SM8 55D / 60T

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

I paid for putt breaks, but man - it’s cumbersome. The new UI is even worse than the old one.

My biggest issue with the app is that I enter my score on my phone, but the hole doesn’t sync over to my watch. Instead I have to manually change holes on my watch which is slow AF.

I have the option of inputting score on my watch, and that WILL change the hole on my phone, it’s too small to engage with, and I can’t enter things like bunkers, pitches, etc.

Might be lookin for a new app after this subscription runs out. This is too expensive to be this cumbersome and poorly serviced

The new UI is terrible. The greens dont react how you want when you adjust it. Bring back the old white one and use the GPS to show where you are on the green.

I rarely use the greens mode once they left the original UI. They need more courses too. It seems to have maxed out.

Ping Vault Arna

• 3 weeks later...

The messed up the app. It’s nearly unuseable now. Nearly impossible to enlarge the green reader and rotate it. Please go back to the original interface. I would not pay money for green maps again as it is now.

Ping Vault Arna

• 2 weeks later...

The newest update makes the app better. You can more easily rotate the maps and the green map knows where you are and orients you toward the middle straight up automatically.

Ping Vault Arna

• 3 weeks later...

In some ways I find the latest version of green reading on the app speeds up play. It really depends on how it's used. For example, I'm loading up the green view before I get to the green. From there it is just one swipe to get a quick read.

My question is about the rules. Is a green reading app legal for tournaments / rounds posted for USGA index?

In some ways I find the latest version of green reading on the app speeds up play. It really depends on how it's used. For example, I'm loading up the green view before I get to the green. From there it is just one swipe to get a quick read.

My question is about the rules. Is a green reading app legal for tournaments / rounds posted for USGA index?

I just emailed them on this. I did find out that the greens are mapped by a person on the ground using 3D mapping technology that is accurate to 3 cm.

Ping Vault Arna

• 2 weeks later...

I just emailed them on this. I did find out that the greens are mapped by a person on the ground using 3D mapping technology that is accurate to 3 cm.

Did they ever give an answer for if it is legal for tournaments / rounds posted for USGA index?

Did they ever give an answer for if it is legal for tournaments / rounds posted for USGA index?

They never emailed me back yet. They've always gotten back to me really quickly before.

Ping Vault Arna

• 3 weeks later...

They never emailed me back yet. They've always gotten back to me really quickly before.

They finally did.

“Thank you for your inquiry. The application is designed for recreational use. Any features that are deemed legal or illegal for play are done so by the USGA and or Club/Tournament officials or director.”

My guess is that is ok in any tournament/round where you can use a green reading book.

Ping Vault Arna

To start, green maps are modern technology at its most advanced, on a par with launch monitors, swing-analysis tools and club and ball technology. The process begins by placing an optical scanning laser directly on or close to the green. Some scanners cost about $120,000 and are used to take impressions of oil rigs, industrial spaces and even car-accident scenes. The unit shoots a laser beam at a mirror that is spinning rapidly within the housing of the device. Millions of beams, reflected by the mirror, are projected onto the landscape of the green, scanning as the device rotates to encompass the entire surface. As each beam is redirected at the green, it is measured precisely. Very precisely. Minute differences in height are measured and fed into storage. Typically, three million to four million bits of data are collected, all in the 10 minutes it takes to scan a green.

I would assume something very similar to this.

If this gadget’s makers are sending crews around to do the laser survey of every green on thousands of course I’ll be gobsmacked. The cost would be exorbitant.

There is a company that does map greens called Straka Line. Their green maps are used on the PGA tour. They also have an app for the rest of us , but the cost IS High. It appears that Golflogix and Straka have the same mapped greens in my area.

To start, green maps are modern technology at its most advanced, on a par with launch monitors, swing-analysis tools and club and ball technology. The process begins by placing an optical scanning laser directly on or close to the green. Some scanners cost about $120,000 and are used to take impressions of oil rigs, industrial spaces and even car-accident scenes. The unit shoots a laser beam at a mirror that is spinning rapidly within the housing of the device. Millions of beams, reflected by the mirror, are projected onto the landscape of the green, scanning as the device rotates to encompass the entire surface. As each beam is redirected at the green, it is measured precisely. Very precisely. Minute differences in height are measured and fed into storage. Typically, three million to four million bits of data are collected, all in the 10 minutes it takes to scan a green.

I would assume something very similar to this.

If this gadget’s makers are sending crews around to do the laser survey of every green on thousands of course I’ll be gobsmacked. The cost would be exorbitant.

There is a company that does map greens called Straka Line. Their green maps are used on the PGA tour. They also have an app for the rest of us , but the cost IS High. It appears that Golflogix and Straka have the same mapped greens in my area.

Yep, must be paying for someone else’s data

Ping Vault Arna

I wonder if golf Logix has an Apple Watch app like track my golf does which tells you your swing path, speed and tempo as well. also takes score for you and gives you club stats when you enter the club you're hitting.

No

Ping Vault Arna

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a way to tell which courses have been mapped for putt break prior to subscribing?

Yes. It’s very easy to see which ones do before subscribing. Unfortunately, new courses being added to the green maps has slowed to a hault. You can request a course, but that’s no guarantee they will get it done.

Ping Vault Arna

• 2 months later...

Version 7.0 just came out. From your approach shots you can see the green countouring, now you can more easily zoom in and out, you are able to move the pin and your location more easily, the app tells you how far your putt is and how many inches uphill or downhill it is, and if you enter the green’s stimpmeter the update will tell you how many balls left or right to aim. There is also an option to make it USGA legal which allows you to only see the break and distance to the hole.

Ping Vault Arna