SuperSpeed Golf training system

Welp I think SSG has translated into gains in all my clubs now. Was trackman sim'ing and playing Muirfield. Took a 6i to a back flag at 185... carried the green and then some. After the shot it said I carried it 194 or so.

Not sure if it's just trackman muscles or what... but I was cranking my irons all day. Carried my hybrid about 225 when it's normally a 210 carry, 220 total type of club. Managed to pull a PW about 150 in the air too which is just stupid long and unnecessary... Maybe if this is for real I can move away from the super hot 790s and into some real forged blades or CB's. I really dont need to hit a 6i 195. I'm playing courses where the tips are like 6500... I almost never have a 2nd shot in of more than 160 or 170 on par 4's. My HC hasn't caught up to this distance yet so I guess that just means I can tone it done some and really focus on tempo and technique.

Be wary of indoor numbers, even with reliable launch monitors such as Trackman of GC2. Reason being the mats: it's been shown that mats effectively recreate "flyer" lies, so even with the same swing you're likely to see higher launch and lower spin which in combination can equate to a club or more increase in distance in some cases.

Welp I think SSG has translated into gains in all my clubs now. Was trackman sim'ing and playing Muirfield. Took a 6i to a back flag at 185... carried the green and then some. After the shot it said I carried it 194 or so.

Not sure if it's just trackman muscles or what... but I was cranking my irons all day. Carried my hybrid about 225 when it's normally a 210 carry, 220 total type of club. Managed to pull a PW about 150 in the air too which is just stupid long and unnecessary... Maybe if this is for real I can move away from the super hot 790s and into some real forged blades or CB's. I really dont need to hit a 6i 195. I'm playing courses where the tips are like 6500... I almost never have a 2nd shot in of more than 160 or 170 on par 4's. My HC hasn't caught up to this distance yet so I guess that just means I can tone it done some and really focus on tempo and technique.

Be wary of indoor numbers, even with reliable launch monitors such as Trackman of GC2. Reason being the mats: it's been shown that mats effectively recreate "flyer" lies, so even with the same swing you're likely to see higher launch and lower spin which in combination can equate to a club or more increase in distance in some cases.

This, always pay attention to ball speed, spin and launch angle or you will be disappointed if you find its not real. Some mats are better than others but it seems that the more friction they have, the more they reduce spin and increase launch angle. That is my guess anyways. Hit on a really really low tee to simulate hitting off grass better. Wooden ones for sure do a good job. Then you can see the rough difference between a mat and real grass.

Swing hard in case you hit it!

So after reading this thread I decided to see what happens with out weighted sticks. Basically I just use my driver and skytrak. I don't know the full system, just a few things posted in the thread. What I do is I'll swing a few just left handed, just right handed Then I swing all out with the ball on the tee so I can record ball speed on skytrak. I get no data on club head speed with the 1 handed swings, and given that club head speed is a calculation on skytrak I don't really care what it says. So I'm focusing on ball speed, because in the end the ball is the only judge of your swing.

Since doing this 3 months ago balls speeds have gone up about 10 mph. I was consistently hitting 145 with an occasional 150 ball speed. Now I'm swinging what seems to be much smoother swing and hitting 155-158 ball speeds. When I really lean into one, and actually hit it on the center of the club face, I'm over 160. These speeds have been pretty consistent over the last couple of weeks, so I'm comfortable that they are "locked in."

I'm sure I could get better results with SSG, but it appears as long as you spend some time focusing only on swing speed, it will gradually creep up.

*The skytrak calculated club head speeds were in the 100-102 range, now they are 105-108 range after about 3 months for what it's worth.

Small update in progress so far while still in the Intro Protocol. There have been several times where I take an extra day or 2 of between sessions because of time constraints and/or weather restrictions. For example, a few nights ago I went outside but it was wetter than I thought and my grip suffered. I stopped because I like being injury-free and my speed was suffering.

Anyway, I neglected to do the Step Swings the first 3 or 4 sessions (thought it was only Protocol 1), so I only have data for ~2 weeks for those while I have 3 solid weeks of Normal swing data.

Short Summary: I've been seeing some pretty promising/consistent gains on my dominant side. My non-dominant side saw jumps initially, but has remained pretty constant the last couple weeks. I know this is due to mechanics and not shifting my weight as efficiently as I do on the dominant side (I find myself hanging back on my non-dominant side). I can attach my daily numbers too, but just wanted to give a snapshot of the progress through the first 3 weeks!

Here is the summary for the first 3 weeks so far in terms of speed. Last night I hit my PB in the Green Step Swing of 139mph. I am excited to continue this and move on to the next Protocols!!

End goal of 180+mph ball speed with Driver. I will be using the PGA SS monitor to track progress ~monthly (give or take) and hoping that the monitors are relatively equal. I will try to use the same bay, but can't guarantee that.

Driver: Cobra LTD Pro 7.5o - Kuro Kage DC XT 70 TX - Tipped 1"

UDI: 2019 TaylorMade P790 2i

Irons: 3-PW: Srixon z745 with Modus 130x

Wedges: 52o/56o/60o - Cleveland RTX4s

Putter: Ping Kushin 4

I understand this, and I agree. However on that shot, I got crazy efficiency - 1.40 on a 6i. So even if spin was low... I pretty much pumped that 10/10 perfect (which doesn't happen too often). But it also goes to show how hot and long the 790's are... which IMO is actually not a great thing if you don't struggle with distance. I'd rather get punished on miss hits and lose 15 yards than happen to perfectly 100% middle a shot and fly 15 yards too far and even up in hazard or trouble.

I actually tend to see more spin at this place than I do in real life. I've spun my SW at 13k on this simulator... rip it back like 10-12 yards. Never do that in real life. Plus, if you strike ball first, it shouldn't make tons of difference right?

I eclipsed the 140 mark tonight! Final 2 green swings were 138 and 141 ?

Plus, if you strike ball first, it shouldn't make tons of difference right?

You'd think so, but apparently not so.

For your reading pleasure:

https://blog.trackma...ats-difference/

And note that the tester used here plays off +2, so I'm pretty positive he's striking ball first. Why this phenomenon exists is a question I've yet to see satisfactorily answered, but rest assured it does and is something to be aware of.

P.S. to your comment about your efficiency being higher, you should note that if less of the club speed is going into generating spin due to the mat, more will likely instead go into creating a higher ballspeed off the face (which will obviously improve smash factor), so again just be careful about reading too much into the numbers when hitting off mats.

And note that the tester used here plays off +2, so I'm pretty positive he's striking ball first. Why this phenomenon exists is a question I've yet to see satisfactorily answered, but rest assured it does and is something to be aware of.

P.S. to your comment about your efficiency being higher, you should note that if less of the club speed is going into generating spin due to the mat, more will likely instead go into creating a higher ballspeed off the face (which will obviously improve smash factor), so again just be careful about reading too much into the numbers when hitting off mats.

Cool article, thanks. I gotta find it... but TXG did a video on this using Quad a few months ago and found minor differences, but I think the conclusion was in that case, it wasn't substantial.

I'm trying to think from a physics point of view... if ball is struck first, why does it matter? Now there's obviously an interaction between ball and mat, and ball and club face, which I guess are kind of separate from one another. The only thing I can think of is that on a mat, the ball isn't "sitting" in blades of grass like in real life, so you can get strikes in different locations on the face, even if the swing is the same? With ball first contact, the club shouldn't even touch the mat until the ball is gone, so I can't see it being any kind of mat/club interaction...has to be a mat/ball one.

Here is the TXG vid by the way:

From what I can tell, the mat did launch higher and spin less, but only by .5* and ~100rpm.

Got back at it tonight after a break. Going to really try and focus on separation as the first move from the top of the swing, followed by the handle up through the ball and full release of the right arm (straightening) through the ball. Max'd out at 117 with the green tonight so down over 7mph from my peak.

Cool article, thanks. I gotta find it... but TXG did a video on this using Quad a few months ago and found minor differences, but I think the conclusion was in that case, it wasn't substantial.

I'm trying to think from a physics point of view... if ball is struck first, why does it matter? Now there's obviously an interaction between ball and mat, and ball and club face, which I guess are kind of separate from one another. The only thing I can think of is that on a mat, the ball isn't "sitting" in blades of grass like in real life, so you can get strikes in different locations on the face, even if the swing is the same? With ball first contact, the club shouldn't even touch the mat until the ball is gone, so I can't see it being any kind of mat/club interaction...has to be a mat/ball one.

Here is the TXG vid by the way:

From what I can tell, the mat did launch higher and spin less, but only by .5* and ~100rpm.

I have a little theory about mats. Mats vary a great deal, but the my thinking is that the more friction with the ball a mat has, the less it will spin and the higher it will launch. There is a momentary acceleration period and if there is little to no resistance between the mat and the ball and the clubface is clean and dry, then the ball should NOT slide much on the face and instead, roll up it creating lots of spin and lower launch. If the friction between the mat and ball is higher, it will cause it to slide up the face more and therefore less spin will be imparted and a higher launch angle is usually observed.

I am not exactly a believer that higher smash factors would typically be seen but I will have to look at those tests a little more. I would think lower SF would be seen as some energy is getting wasted from the slide up the face. Its a tough concept to think about. It happens so fast and nobody has really captured what is really happening, I am only guessing.

I do have a plan to experiment with a little test stand I designed, but I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Edit: I may have mentioned this before, but if you have access to a launch monitor and know you hit the ball clean, you can test how good the mat you are hitting off is by hitting off a really low tee with your mid irons and wedges. You should see very similar spin and launch angle. Tee's are very low friction it seems and comparable to a really nice clean lie on grass imo.

Edit2: Yeah I posted this stuff before, I can never remember where I have posted this mat stuff, too many threads I am in, sorry.

Swing hard in case you hit it!

Hi guys, just happened across this thread and swingspeed is something I have been thinking about since yesterday…..

Had a titleist Thursday fitting yesterday and apparently my ss is approx. 93/94mph. I’ve got a carry average of 235 supposedly, and the guy told me that my smash factor was good and I was pretty much maxing out what I could from my swing. Yes, the updated TS drivers were increasing ball speed over my 915, and lighter shafts made a slight difference to swing speed but thinking about it, the real key for me would be improving swing speed.

Now, some of you guys have been using this superspeed training for a while now. Does it actually work and show good results, and importantly will I still retain my ability to hit the driver straight. That’s one of the best parts of my game feeling that I am giving it the full beans but keeping it in play.

If it helps guide thoughts and analysis, Im a UK 6 handicap, 39year old. In good health, 6foot2, slim athletic build. No real physical issues that would restrict me. Yes, I’m a bit less flexible now than I was 20 years ago, but in good shape for my age.

Can I see gains? What is realistically possible? Getting up to 100? 105? I don’t need to be a WRX350yard machine but would be nice to swing a bit faster at it?

Im also keen to hear from the sceptics and those who don’t think this system works, or didn’t work for them.

Does anybody know..... Do the simulators at Golf Galaxy juice ballspeeds? Was hitting 7i yesterday (919 Forged, so I think 32* loft) and I was getting a few to carry around 184 or so. Even really really bad hits were going like 160-165 (which is my normal well struck distance).

Maybe I'm so bad with center contact that when I am striking it flush I'm getting the 180 carry, but 8/10 times I'm not center striking so my "average" carry is more like 165?? Has superspeed golf gotten me so fast I'm gaining 20 yards carry on irons? That's crazy.

Ball speed can't be "juiced" but other factors can, like elevation and temperature. Plus spin can be lower and launch higher off mats which would inflate calculated carry.

Spin was actually mega high. One strike, I had 180 carry, 181 total with well over 7k spin. I saw a few actually spinning over 8k when I hit a fade. Launch was in the 20-22* range most of the time. I think ball speeds were in the mid to upper 120s. I wasn't really paying a ton of attention because I Was just there to hit some balls after a bad day (and also see how the Forged's felt) and after a few hits looked to see my distances which I found quite long given what I do on the course. Only time I Get 180's out of a 7i is from a decent lie in the rough where spin is probably sub 5k.

If it helps guide thoughts and analysis, Im a UK 6 handicap, 39year old. In good health, 6foot2, slim athletic build. No real physical issues that would restrict me. Yes, I’m a bit less flexible now than I was 20 years ago, but in good shape for my age.

Can I see gains? What is realistically possible? Getting up to 100? 105? I don’t need to be a WRX350yard machine but would be nice to swing a bit faster at it?

You should be a lot faster than you are if you fit that description. I've yet to meet anyone under 50 in good physical shape who I don't think could consistently get above 100 (and more likely above 105). This system would help, but in my opinion really what you need is the radar and to learn to feel what swinging fast feels like.

Ball speed can't be "juiced" but other factors can, like elevation and temperature. Plus spin can be lower and launch higher off mats which would inflate calculated carry.

Spin was actually mega high. One strike, I had 180 carry, 181 total with well over 7k spin. I saw a few actually spinning over 8k when I hit a fade. Launch was in the 20-22* range most of the time. I think ball speeds were in the mid to upper 120s. I wasn't really paying a ton of attention because I Was just there to hit some balls after a bad day (and also see how the Forged's felt) and after a few hits looked to see my distances which I found quite long given what I do on the course. Only time I Get 180's out of a 7i is from a decent lie in the rough where spin is probably sub 5k.

I’d trust it then. Mid-high 120’s ball speed with 7 is legit. It’s also the easiest thing for a monitor to measure accurately

I'd trust it then. Mid-high 120's ball speed with 7 is legit. It's also the easiest thing for a monitor to measure accurately

I see. What's odd too is that I haven't done SSG in maybe a whole week... I've been sick and just coming off a cold. Wonder what studies show is the "retention" time that training builds into your brain or muscles. Will be interested to find out what kind of gains I keep over the winter only doing it 2x per month. So far I've been doing it 3x per week and I guess it is finally starting to add some distance to my irons. I'd love to get off the juiced lofts and go to more traditional player's set up. I really don't need to hit the 7i 180-185 at this point.

After doing the Intro Protocol for 5 weeks now, I went to the PGA SS to measure my CHS and Ball Speed. I will say that BEFORE SSG training, I didn't take accurate measurements of my CHS and Ball Speed on the Launch Monitor. What I can say, is that the last couple times I went before the training, my ball speed did not eclipse 165mph and CHS did not eclipse 115. What I did do, was measure my CHS on the Swing Speed Radar. Prior to training, my Driver SS was 119-120mph max on the SSM. This past weekend my SS ranged from 122-125, with not 1 swing under 121mph. Same Driver, same mats, etc. Take that for what it's worth.

In terms of Launch Monitors numbers, after warming up with wedges and irons, I went to my Driver. I was swinging anywhere from 115-120mph with my Driver, with ball speeds between 159 (bad strike) and 170 on a good strike. I then switched the Rogue SZ and was swinging 120+ every time with the fastest at 124. Again, this is a different Driver (with a similar 65 - 68g shaft), so I won't directly compare these stats. I also recorded my 2nd highest ball speed ever of 174mph. I re-verified these numbers on a trip back on Tuesday, where I recorded consistent 165-168mph ball speeds with my stock Driver and 168-174 with the Rogue SZ.

I've been keeping track of my SSG progress in Excel and so far, the numbers have been increasing on average. Like I said, I've ONLY done the Intro Protocol so far for ~5 weeks now and I've seen results. I'm probably going to start Level 1 tonight or tomorrow.

I will say for sure that as long as you follow the Protocols, that you should see results. I wouldn't be surprised to see close to a 10% increase when all is done.

My new goal is consistent 175mph ball speed early next season and consistent 180mph (max ~185) when SSG training is complete around this time next year.

After doing the Intro Protocol for 5 weeks now, I went to the PGA SS to measure my CHS and Ball Speed. I will say that BEFORE SSG training, I didn't take accurate measurements of my CHS and Ball Speed on the Launch Monitor. What I can say, is that the last couple times I went before the training, my ball speed did not eclipse 165mph and CHS did not eclipse 115. What I did do, was measure my CHS on the Swing Speed Radar. Prior to training, my Driver SS was 119-120mph max on the SSM. This past weekend my SS ranged from 122-125, with not 1 swing under 121mph. Same Driver, same mats, etc. Take that for what it's worth.

In terms of Launch Monitors numbers, after warming up with wedges and irons, I went to my Driver. I was swinging anywhere from 115-120mph with my Driver, with ball speeds between 159 (bad strike) and 170 on a good strike. I then switched the Rogue SZ and was swinging 120+ every time with the fastest at 124. Again, this is a different Driver (with a similar 65 - 68g shaft), so I won't directly compare these stats. I also recorded my 2nd highest ball speed ever of 174mph. I re-verified these numbers on a trip back on Tuesday, where I recorded consistent 165-168mph ball speeds with my stock Driver and 168-174 with the Rogue SZ.

I've been keeping track of my SSG progress in Excel and so far, the numbers have been increasing on average. Like I said, I've ONLY done the Intro Protocol so far for ~5 weeks now and I've seen results. I'm probably going to start Level 1 tonight or tomorrow.

I will say for sure that as long as you follow the Protocols, that you should see results. I wouldn't be surprised to see close to a 10% increase when all is done.

My new goal is consistent 175mph ball speed early next season and consistent 180mph (max ~185) when SSG training is complete around this time next year.

1.40 smash factor doesn’t seem right for a well hit driver. My guess is your swing speed is lower than what the sim is saying since ball speed tends to be more accurately measured.

1.40 smash factor doesn’t seem right for a well hit driver. My guess is your swing speed is lower than what the sim is saying since ball speed tends to be more accurately measured.

Agreed. The LM swing speed is definitely inflated several MPH, I was just comparing it to the previous attempts. 124 is my fastest ever on those monitors. I would imagine it's actually more like 116-118mph. Goal is 125.

Agreed. The LM swing speed is definitely inflated several MPH, I was just comparing it to the previous attempts. 124 is my fastest ever on those monitors. I would imagine it's actually more like 116-118mph. Goal is 125.

Easily attainable for you based on your numbers so far, IMO. You should see the bigger gains in level 1, which was my favorite protocol and the one I think gained me the most speed. The kneeling swings really work.

Maybe this has been answered before (if so point me to the page) but has anyone experimented with the frequency of workouts? For example, in the intro protocol they call for 3 days a week. Will you see bigger gains by doing it 5 days a week? Or will it have the opposite effect?

I emailed them about this. They said there data shows no measurable improvements by doing more than 3x per week. A lot of us have also found that once you get some gains (say maybe about 4-5 weeks of 3x per week) even reducing down to 1 or 2x per week still produces gains, and even stopping for a few weeks doesn't mean you lose much.

Right now it's a bit tough for me to tell because it's cold out (thus ball flies shorter and more clothing layers will hamper speed) but I have only SSG 2x in the past 2 weeks. Still seem to have retained all my gains I've gotten. Played on Friday and hit a super smooth 6i 172 carry on a par 3. In the summer that's probably almost 180 carry. Earlier this year on trackman I had to go 100% to get more than 175 6i carry. So... it's definitely being retained with less training right now.