Ping G700 irons

i*windows

The G700 looks intriguing, especially with the added distance.. which I need badly. However, I'm a little concerned about the size of the heads. I've been playing the Callaway Apex CF 16 and really like the way they play. I think the reduced offset works for me but they just don't give me the distance I would like to get. I recently got a set of Rogue X and while they are a club longer, they are hurting my dispersion. Too many shots going left probably due to the larger offset.

Just wondering if a G400 with power spec lofts would be more appropriate for what I'm looking for - more distance and not such a big head.

I'm moving away from my CF16's due to the 10 to 12 foot distance loss over the off season. I was pleasantly surprised to see a 15 to 20 foot distance increase when comparing good strikes with both clubs. This distance pickup I mention is with the standard lofts.

I'm debating between the G400 and G700. From what I've read the G700 is a replacement for the Gmax (which I had and did not care for so I sold them to a friend). The G400 is the replacement for the G and more of a GI club as opposed to a SGI ( G700 ). I don't really pay too much attention to those designations. I'm more concerned with what the club can do for my game.

I'm 70 years old and have a slow swing speed. Didn't start playing golf till 3 years ago but I work on my game a lot and I want to play as well as I possible can. My biggest problem with my irons is distance. My 7 iron in the Apex CF 16 goes about 130 - 140. If I could add 5 - 10 years for all my irons, it would really help my game.

Just not sure if I'd be happy with the larger club face on the G700 because one of the things I like about the CF 16 is the smaller club face. Seems to help me hone in on making good contact with the ball.

I looked at both the G400 and G700 at Golf Galaxy the other day but did not have time to hit them. I know my specs, just don't want to make a mistake and get something that feels too big.

When I originally hit the G700's the club head defiantly look larger and sounded louder than my CF16's. However, about 5 minutes into my fitting I noticed that I had become accustomed to both the looks and the sound, I was no longer even aware of the differences any longer. My G400 Max driver is also loud but to my ears a pleasant powerful sound. However once I started to hit the driver outdoors the driver really did not sound nearly as loud.

What's in my Ping Pioneer Bag

Ping G400 Max 10.5˚, Alta CB 55 S-Flex

Ping G400 5w, 7w, Alta CB 65 R-Flex
Ping G400 5h, 6h, Alta CB 70 R-Flex

Callaway Apex CF16 7-PW, UST Recoil 660 F3 R-Flex

Titleist Vokey Tour Chrome SM8 50.12F, 54.12D, 58.10S, Mitsubishi Tensei Pro AM2 Red R-Flex

TaylorMade Hi-Toe 64˚ Wedge, Recoil ES 760 F3

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1 34”/74˚ Black with Custom 1+28 Sightlines, B.G.T. Stability Tour Black shaft w/ LAB Press OG 3.0 Grip

Srixon Z-Star XV Yellow | Srixon Q-Star Tour Divide Orange/Yellow, Seamus Headcovers

Callaway Chrome Soft #1 Lost Ball on Tour - Mark Crossfield

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The G700 looks intriguing, especially with the added distance.. which I need badly. However, I'm a little concerned about the size of the heads. I've been playing the Callaway Apex CF 16 and really like the way they play. I think the reduced offset works for me but they just don't give me the distance I would like to get. I recently got a set of Rogue X and while they are a club longer, they are hurting my dispersion. Too many shots going left probably due to the larger offset.

Just wondering if a G400 with power spec lofts would be more appropriate for what I'm looking for - more distance and not such a big head.

I'm moving away from my CF16's due to the 10 to 12 foot distance loss over the off season. I was pleasantly surprised to see a 15 to 20 foot distance increase when comparing good strikes with both clubs. This distance pickup I mention is with the standard lofts.

I'm debating between the G400 and G700. From what I've read the G700 is a replacement for the Gmax (which I had and did not care for so I sold them to a friend). The G400 is the replacement for the G and more of a GI club as opposed to a SGI ( G700 ). I don't really pay too much attention to those designations. I'm more concerned with what the club can do for my game.

I'm 70 years old and have a slow swing speed. Didn't start playing golf till 3 years ago but I work on my game a lot and I want to play as well as I possible can. My biggest problem with my irons is distance. My 7 iron in the Apex CF 16 goes about 130 - 140. If I could add 5 - 10 years for all my irons, it would really help my game.

Just not sure if I'd be happy with the larger club face on the G700 because one of the things I like about the CF 16 is the smaller club face. Seems to help me hone in on making good contact with the ball.

I looked at both the G400 and G700 at Golf Galaxy the other day but did not have time to hit them. I know my specs, just don't want to make a mistake and get something that feels too big.

Only way to know is to hit them both.

I had the 400's, and now I have the 700's. For me the 700's out performed the 400's. I have them with the Nippon Modus 105 shafts. They launch higher, go farther and spin more. I didn't think it would be possible for anything to be more forgiving than the 400's but the 700's are. Loved the 400's but the 700's are step above.

Again, this is my experience. Only way for you to find out is to go hit them both.

Make sure you get a chance to try all the different shafts, that made a big difference for me as well.

Has anyone been fit with the TT xp 95 S300?

Why was it better for you than the Ping AWT 2.0 or the Modus?

Thanks

I can tell you why I was not fit into it if that helps. My previous set was Steelhead XR's and with the progressive COG in the scoring clubs the XP 95's helped with the extra height and spin. With the G700's the Modus 105 and TT XP 95 my peak height on full shots was quite a bit higher than I like, and the G700's which are already LONG, were even longer with the XP 95 and modus 105. But the spin numbers were great with the XP 95.

I ended up with the AWT 2.0 with my lofts 2° weaker than standard because those specs achieved the ball flight and spin numbers I was looking for.

Out of curiosity, if you weaken the lofts, you increase spin and height. How do you find the ball flight, since also with normal lofts it is supposed to be very high?

with the AWT shaft I still get a high ball flight, but not so high that I worry about "ballooning" shots. And my spin increased by about 400-600 rpm over the stock loft. Gapping is the major reason I went weaker lofts. I loved the XP 95's in my Steelheads but in the G700's with knowing I planned on weakening my lofts I felt my standard shot would be too high spin and height with the XP 95 or the Modus 105.... It was a gamble but so far I have loved the results. If I had stayed with standard loft on the G700's I probably would have gone with the Modus 105.

The Gmax and G700 are not that similar, The G700 sole is actually more narrow than the G400 except in the 4 iron. The Gmax' sole is quite a bit wider than both, and can actually be seen at address

The G700 does have a longer heel to toe length, but I don't even notice it now unless I am comparing it to another club. And the top line of the G700 is disguised very well to not look as thick as a lot of other GI irons. In fact with the hydropearl finish and the rounded edges I find the G700 top line to appear smaller than the G400 top line to my eyes.

The G400 is still a great club. But if distance is your main concern I would at least give the G700 a few hits. They may not be your cup of tea, but it can't hurt to give them a look.

Just received a call to tell me that my clubs are now being built and should be shipped by tomorrow or Friday. Hopefully everyone else who is waiting for their overdue clubs receive the same news.

Titleist Vokey Tour Chrome SM8 50.12F, 54.12D, 58.10S, Mitsubishi Tensei Pro AM2 Red R-Flex

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1 34”/74˚ Black with Custom 1+28 Sightlines, B.G.T. Stability Tour Black shaft w/ LAB Press OG 3.0 Grip

Srixon Z-Star XV Yellow | Srixon Q-Star Tour Divide Orange/Yellow, Seamus Headcovers

Any g700 users playing the g700 UW and then Glide wedges ?

If so what is your setup (lofts and distances you see from each)?

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2

Just received a call to tell me that my clubs are now being built and should be shipped by tomorrow or Friday. Hopefully everyone else who is waiting for their overdue clubs receive the same news.

Received similar info from Ping: G700s are currently on a 15 business day lead time to delivery. However, that contradicts what I was previously told in that the heads for 7-9 irons aren't arriving until July 28th. That means I should be receiving them by 8/1. Congrats on the good news! Be sure to come back and let us know how you like them!

Interested in this as well. Got the 5-UW wedge set and have been researching Glide 2.0 Stealths.

So did you get them?

Unfortunately us Canadians rely on the speed of Canada Customs. My best guess is that I'll be receiving delivery Tuesday or Wednesday. I'll update this tread once I know something more or have received delivery.

So did you get them?

Unfortunately us Canadians rely on the speed of Canada Customs. My best guess is that I'll be receiving delivery Tuesday or Wednesday. I'll update this tread once I know something more or have received delivery.

Well I just got off the phone with them and the club heads supposedly aren’t getting in until August 11th. What is wrong with this company? Mint only is their customer service bad, their supply chain is terrible. I’m about to just cancel the order for such an unreliable process.

So did you get them?

Well I just got off the phone with them and the club heads supposedly aren't getting in until August 11th. What is wrong with this company? Mint only is their customer service bad, their supply chain is terrible. I'm about to just cancel the order for such an unreliable process.

My understanding is that TaylorMade had a much bigger/longer delay with their P790's than Ping has with their G700's. Just wanter into the P790 thread and see for yourself. Regardless, just hang in their bud it shouldn't be much longer and I've been feeling your pain.

So did you get them?

Well I just got off the phone with them and the club heads supposedly aren't getting in until August 11th. What is wrong with this company? Mint only is their customer service bad, their supply chain is terrible. I'm about to just cancel the order for such an unreliable process.

My understanding is that TaylorMade had a much bigger/longer delay with their P790's than Ping has with their G700's. Just wanter into the P790 thread and see for yourself. Regardless, just hang in their bud it shouldn't be much longer and I've been feeling your pain.

Any update? I'm sure they are sick of me calling in by now.

I received the call today to pickup my clubs. Everything was fine except the UW for some unknown reason was never ordered. The UW was ordered and it sounds like it will be take 15 days to arrive. I'm looking forward getting these on the course tomorrow.

I received the call today to pickup my clubs. Everything was fine except the UW for some unknown reason was never ordered. The UW was ordered and it sounds like it will be take 15 days to arrive. I'm looking forward getting these on the course tomorrow.

No if I were you I’d definitely wait for the UW and try them all together. What’s another couple weeks.

NOT

Anyone know where I can purchase heavier toe screws to increase the swing weight? Oh, and these clubs look amazing with some scotchbrite and elbow grease. Look 1000% better than the hydropearl finish and no more bag chatter marks.

I think I need to do the scotchbrite on mine. My U65 looks so much better than the hydropearl finish.

Anyone know where I can purchase heavier toe screws to increase the swing weight? Oh, and these clubs look amazing with some scotchbrite and elbow grease. Look 1000% better than the hydropearl finish and no more bag chatter marks.

I think I need to do the scottbrite on mine. My U65 looks so much better than the hydropearl finish.

Useless without pictures !

I am; I got the G700 UW, and the 54 and 58 Glides. I had been using the Glide wedges for several years; got new ones when I ordered the G700's mainly because I was going to the Recoil shafts and away from the Ping stock graphite, and wanted the same shaft in all my irons.

There is a small gap between the UW and the 54* Glide, which I expected after the fitting because the G700's were at least half a club longer than my G30's. But I haven't found it to be much of an issue and I can cover the gap by choking down an inch on the UW. I considered getting the G700 SW, but I've been so happy with the 54* Glide that I didn't want to give it up, and it would have just changed the gap to be between the SW and the 58*.

For those of you that have had the G700’s for a little bit. Tried them against the i500 today and while I liked both I am leaning towards the 700. I like point and shoot. The fitter / employee is a friend of mine and I welcome his advice. His only potential downside of the 700’s is turf interaction in the rough grabbing the large head vs the smaller head 500s

Has anyone noticed any issues with this?

Thanks in advance.

Ping G430 w/ Tour 2.0
Ping G430 3W  

Ping G410 3H, 4H

Ping i525 5-PW Project X IO
Cleveland CBX 2 48*
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56*
TM Spider X 34" blue

Alphard V2 wheels

For those of you that have had the G700’s for a little bit. Tried them against the i500 today and while I liked both I am leaning towards the 700. I like point and shoot. The fitter / employee is a friend of mine and I welcome his advice. His only potential downside of the 700’s is turf interaction in the rough grabbing the large head vs the smaller head 500s

Thanks in advance.

I actually prefer my G700's out of the rough over my hybrids. I am not a high SS player and I don't have any trouble getting the G700's through the rough.

I've only used my G700's for two rounds and have never hit the i500's so I've had limited experience with these. I'm actually very impressed with the turf interaction - especially with the shorter irons and wedges. Initially I thought that they would be much less effective out of the rough but that it is definitely not the case. I actually enjoy chipping around the greens with these and the longer pitch shots are surprising so easy. Hopping this is just not the honeymoon period that I'm in right now.

I'll posting more thoughts on these once I have a few more rounds under my belt.

Thanks in advance.

I actually prefer my G700's out of the rough over my hybrids. I am not a high SS player and I don't have any trouble getting the G700's through the rough.

For Bermuda rough, you can sometimes get away with playing a ball way back in your stance and sort of smashing down onto the back of the ball with a 4 or 5 iron to hit a low running advancement shot. I can not control the direction of that type of shot with a 4 or 5 hybrid. I think hybrid can work OK out of cool climate grass roughs like Bluegrass or Fescue, where the clubhead and sole can force their way through some grass to get to the ball. Bristly, gnarly Bermuda just stops the club dead, the only option is steeply down onto the ball.

I'm really surprised how versatile the G700 SW is. I'm hitting this club out of bunkers, chipping and pitching - it's a genuine pin seeker.

• 2 months later...

Quick questions fellas.

Got those gaming the G700's. Any distance control issues?

From the reviews I've read and watched, seems like these are really low spin which may impact distance control.

Thanks

I don't have any issues at all with distance control with the G700's. In fact I find them easier and more consistent than my Steelhead irons were to dial in distances with different shots.