WRXers Scratch Amateur Tournaments Thread: Commitments, Results, etc....

Obee

I like the bobby jones quote only because I feel like it applies to all the local course "weekend pros" that say they are scratch golfers on paper but never played a "real" golf tournament. When they finally do they can't break 80

I agree with you both obee and ren and stimpy (I mean powdered toast man lol)

PXG 0311XF Gen 5 7.5* Ventus Black 6X
Titleist 913D2 12* UST Mamiya Tour Green 75X
PXG Gen5 19* Ventus Black 10TX
Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
Taylormade Spider Long Broomstick
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

I like the bobby jones quote only because I feel like it applies to all the local course "weekend pros" that say they are scratch golfers on paper but never played a "real" golf tournament. When they finally do they can't break 80

I've always wondered: What is the "eeh" part of your nickname, "Vietnameeh"?

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

I've always wondered: What is the "eeh" part of your nickname, "Vietnameeh"?

... using a viet accent saying Vietnamese LOL I know terrible

PXG 0311XF Gen 5 7.5* Ventus Black 6X
Titleist 913D2 12* UST Mamiya Tour Green 75X
PXG Gen5 19* Ventus Black 10TX
Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
Taylormade Spider Long Broomstick
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

Great thread Obee.

FSGA member

For the rest of 2018:

Nov 1 single day @ WW rolling oaks

Nov 2 single day @ WW Pine barrons

Dec 16-17 Winter Series @ Laurel Oak CC

Last couple of tourneys played horrible so hoping to finish the year with a strong result.

Goal for 2019 to play at least 1 event per month and finally crack playing well in tourneys (very few ever solid toureny rounds vs casual golf rounds).

Only major big tourney of the year: USGA MidAm

• Like 1

Cool thread. I’m also Scottish and have played the amateur scene the last few years here with no great success. The best I did was reaching the third round of the Scottish amateur back in 2014. I’ve not played much Scottish stuff the last year or so, funnily enough I’ve played more down south. Last year I played scratch 36 hole opens at Formby, Southport and Ainsdale, Hillside and Royal Birkdale. All for a combined cost of about £200. This year I played the South East of England Links Championship which is 72 holes played over Royal St George’s and Royal Cinque Ports. The highlight of my year was shooting 74 at Royal St George’s off the Open tees. That’s one hell of a golf course.

I love going away playing in these sort of things as you get to play great golf courses in tournament conditions for a fraction of the normal price! Last year I got 3 rounds at Royal Dornoch for £40 and in 2015 I got 4 at Cruden Bay for £45. Both were in 72 hole opens.

Next year I’m eyeing up the Walton Heath Trophy. Apart from that I’ll wait and see where the big Scottish events are and if they are at courses that appeal to me I’ll enter

• Like 1

+.2 here and in florida. Don't plan to play any fsga events the rest of the year and no plans for tournament golf the rest of the year either. Will play in skins games and just general Nassau games with other low cap guys I know, but that's about it.

Next competitive rounds will be a 30 man Texas trip in March for 4 days. May then play golfweek tour next year. Played 7 events this year but the tourney director likes to set the champ flight up at 6600 or under.

I likely won't play any fsga or usga stuff next year either. I have a 4 year old and 4 month old (both boys) so any travel golf or golf that requires time off work for a qualifier just isn't me right now. Did all of that back in the early 2000s and just not sure I want to get back to that yet. My 4 yr old shows ability so when he gets older then maybe more competitive stuff will be in order.

Sorry to be a party pooper in the thread. I love competitive golf too, am just limited to local one day events for a bit.

Of course not. For many guys, the season is either coming to an end or already over! Definitely post your plans for the upcoming year!

Due to my back injury I was only able to play in one (and my first ever http://www.golfwrx.c...ent-experience/) tournament this year. Hoping to get 3 to 4 in next year but going to take it one at a time.

Vancouver is a bit hurting for Am events but here's what I have planned...

Marine Drive Amateur - first week of June

BC Zone 4 Amateur - end of June (but I might be in LA for a wedding so maybe the BC (state) Mid-Am instead)

Maybe something in August if my back is OK.

Bellingham Amateur - beginning of Sept

Goals: I want to win all three events.

Realistic goals:

- I want to shoot nothing higher than 79 and make the cut in the Zone or Mid-Am.

- Enjoy golf and stay focused on PSR on EVERY shot

Great idea for this thread Dave! Super excited to practice for next year.

Make your way to the island if you can. almost every course has a mens amateur. Two day stroke play events with great prize tables. Well run. As a 1.0 index i usually finish 5-20th so always feel im right there for a win! I played 9 events and my goal was to win one. I came second in one tournament with a weaker field. Was also one stroke off a playoff to be exempt for canadian am.

Same goals for next year.

Just returned from playing the Texas Senior Women's Stroke Play tournament. Weather was pretty dreadful. Mid to high 50s, raining/misting, and breezy. We got in 5 holes of the first round before the sky opened. Only played 10 holes total the first day. Played the last two rounds LCP.

I played horrible the first round. Not used to playing such wet conditions and hacked it around badly (it was embarrassing). Adjusted and played much better the final two rounds to get 2nd.

Plan on playing the following next year:

Womens CC

TSWGA Tournament (match play for senior women - I played the first time this year)

Texas Women's Stroke Play (get my Word not allowed kicked by the kids - I played the first time this year)

Texas Senior Women's Stroke Play

Mens CC (if they let me and it doesn't conflict with above)

• Like 1

Just returned from playing the Texas Senior Women's Stroke Play tournament. Weather was pretty dreadful. Mid to high 50s, raining/misting, and breezy. We got in 5 holes of the first round before the sky opened. Only played 10 holes total the first day. Played the last two rounds LCP.

I played horrible the first round. Not used to playing such wet conditions and hacked it around badly (it was embarrassing). Adjusted and played much better the final two rounds to get 2nd.

Womens CC

TSWGA Tournament (match play for senior women - I played the first time this year)

Texas Women's Stroke Play (get my Word not allowed kicked by the kids - I played the first time this year)

Would you be playing from the same tees in the men’s CC?

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

Womens CC

Would you be playing from the same tees in the men's CC?

Yes, of course. It would not be fair or appropriate otherwise.

I have two events in the next 7 days. Richardson Memorial at Seawane on Thursday (and hopefully Friday and Saturday). It's on the water and last year was blowing crazy. Forecast for Thursday is cold and breezy. Lovely. Top 16 go into matchplay. Probably about 73 or 74 to qualify is my guess.

Then Monday/Tuesday next week is the Sarazen Invitational at Fresh Meadow. Good fun golf course. It's two rounds, cut after first round to 30 and ties. Probably about 76 or 77 gets through. Last year I was about middle of the pack making the cut going into round 2. Was really windy and dark when we started. They pushed tee times early because of the weather. Interesting. Made 8 at the last. Plugged my approach in the back of a bunker. Couldn't get it out, then tried to get cute and didn't get it out again. Then knocked it out to about 10 feet. Started to rake the bunker. Playing partner said "you should mark that first". The wind blew my ball off the green as I was running up there to mark it. Chipped up to about 4 feet above the hole and missed it. Not my finest hour. Rest of the round was not too bad as long as I wasn't between 50 and 100 yards away. Then I couldn't hit the green.

Thursday should be interesting. Second game out. Realfeel is going to be 29 and I haven't played since 9/26. Range is irons only and the first hole is tight. Haven't decided how I'm going to play it yet. Will depend on the wind direction.

See you at the Sarazen

This year was up and down for me. I got a bunch of reps - played in a couple of USGA qualifiers, a few MGA qualifiers. Had what I would consider one good result which was T7 at the NYC Amateur. The difference in that one vs. all the others, was I didn’t play golf swing. Where have I heard that advice before??

That said I need to become a better iron player to compete on the MGA level. Hopefully this winter I can grind on mechanics enough to be ready to forget about them during next year’s events.

Huge disappointment today. Played in the quarter final of my club matchplay championship. Was -4 through 15, 2 up with three to go, and lost the match in a playoff. He birdied 16, halved 17 in 3's, and then the disaster. I rinsed a gapwdge from the middle of the fairway on 18 and lost the hole to a 5. Was completely deflated heading into the the playoff, and it showed. Positives are the fact that I was under par for the first time in a while.

Next one is SA Open Pre-Q. Would be massive to get into, as it's a European Tour event. Will keep you guys posted!

Huge disappointment today. Played in the quarter final of my club matchplay championship. Was -4 through 15, 2 up with three to go, and lost the match in a playoff. He birdied 16, halved 17 in 3's, and then the disaster. I rinsed a gapwdge from the middle of the fairway on 18 and lost the hole to a 5. Was completely deflated heading into the the playoff, and it showed. Positives are the fact that I was under par for the first time in a while.

Next one is SA Open Pre-Q. Would be massive to get into, as it's a European Tour event. Will keep you guys posted!

That's what this thread is about. Great job competing at a high level and playing very, very well.

What were your thoughts heading into the rinsed shot on 18? How did you feel, what was your self-talk like? Did you quick-hit it? That's kind of my "go-to" under pressure on my bad shots. Everything about the shot becomes faster, like I want to just "get it over with." Far more than usual: Bad result.

Man, this thread has me looking around. Mainly, I am trying to find some gross tournaments for super seniors, although I want to play in scga senior am and see if I can make the first cut there is a super senior tourney as well). Long Beach has its sr tournament with age brackets with a bunch of guys in my age bracket (65-70).

The thing this has got me to really think about is two-fold. One, I love to play blades, but I am not so deluded that I think they won't cost me over 2-3 rounds. So what does an optimal setup purely based on scoring look like? Two, this is really about not puking in my shoes over a 3 footer/20 yard chip that matter. That's the goal. Hit the shots under the gun.

If anyone knows of gross tournaments for 60+ (especially in so cal) please let me know...

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

This might be the place to ask this. Do any of the top courses in the states have 18/36/72 hole opens? If so what ones and when are they? And can you enter being non American?

Yes a lot of them do, with a lot of them being for mid-ams. I believe almost all of them are invite only and only a very few actually look at applications. Usually you need to qualify for US Open, US Am, do well in US mid am, or win your state mid am to get an invite.

Man, this thread has me looking around. Mainly, I am trying to find some gross tournaments for super seniors, although I want to play in scga senior am and see if I can make the first cut there is a super senior tourney as well). Long Beach has its sr tournament with age brackets with a bunch of guys in my age bracket (65-70).

The thing this has got me to really think about is two-fold. One, I love to play blades, but I am not so deluded that I think they won't cost me over 2-3 rounds. So what does an optimal setup purely based on scoring look like? Two, this is really about not puking in my shoes over a 3 footer/20 yard chip that matter. That's the goal. Hit the shots under the gun.

If anyone knows of gross tournaments for 60+ (especially in so cal) please let me know...

Do you hit the ball low or high?

Not one to be checking the instruction thread regularly at all, but my wife is past her due date, I can't physically do any more work and I am trying to kill time and I stumble across this thread, awesome stuff Obee, I think that it a great idea for a thread.

The end of the season is here for me unfortunately, came to an end a couple of weeks ago with a tweaked wrist ligament and now just waiting for the little one to arrive so not much golf but I have been planning how I am going to make the most of it next year by trying to get out and play in more competitions.

This big ones that I am hoping to play in next year are:

North District Championship

North of Scotland Open Amateur

Elgin or Moray Five Day Open

As things stand my handicap is also low enough to be able to get me into the Scottish Amateur as well but I have never actually got to the point where I thought I should do it. I want that to change. I realise that as a soon to be dad, the time I have for golf next year is likely to be reduced but as I have figured out this year taking over my own business, the smarter you are with time, the better so I am hoping to take that and run with it next year so I am more organised with me time for golf both playing and practicing (it helps that I live 300 yards away from my home course).

Over the last few years, I have not played anywhere near as much competitive golf as I should have done. My biggest issue is that I am too concerned that my game needs to be perfect before going in to play them. I know in myself that being perfect, is never going to happen but a few weeks ago, I was booked into an open at a local course that I am pretty familiar with. I hadn't played more than 9 holes at a time in two weeks, the wind was about 30 mph all day and ordinarily, I would have thought that I am not going to bother. I did bother and finished decent in 4th place, one back from a three way tie for first where there were two pros and a +1 guy. That certainly made me feel better about my game and it has certainly given me some good feelings going into competitions next year. Hopefully a thread like this will keep me accountable to something more than myself as well.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

That's what this thread is about. Great job competing at a high level and playing very, very well.

What were your thoughts heading into the rinsed shot on 18? How did you feel, what was your self-talk like? Did you quick-hit it? That's kind of my "go-to" under pressure on my bad shots. Everything about the shot becomes faster, like I want to just "get it over with." Far more than usual: Bad result.

So, I picked up that under pressure, both my grip and takeaway started feeling uncomfortable, and I was struggling to hit my normal shot shape. Instead of hitting a 5-10 yd fade, it was coming out as a pull draw. I started fighting it on 16 tee already.

The approach on 18 was a mixture of poor course management and a bad mental state. I had 145 yds down wind to a back left pin, with water up the left. My stock GW goes about 125, and I reckoned with adrenaline it would be a good number. For some reason over the ball I decided to give it a bit extra to make sure it got back to the flag. In hindsight, aiming for the front right portion of the green, forcing my opponent to make birdie was the play.

Live and learn I guess?. Always good to hear your insights man!

• Like 1

Played one of my most solid rounds in a long time, mentally.

Yesterday shot 71 at an away course that I had only ever played maybe three or four times before. Course is tight and tough, with very, very tricky greens. I had a "game plan" from the get go: conservative lines and club selection on the tough, tight holes (even if that meant 200 on an approach that I could possibly have 170 on if I hit a good driver).

There are four or five driving holes that are downright NASTY, where the slightest push or pull can lead to double bogey or worse. Wanted no part of penalty shots or blocked out views, so I played to my strengths: Hit it in the fairway, knock it up by the green and stay SHORT of the tough pins and chip it up and in if I miss a green.

I hit the fairway on all of the tough holes and left myself in good spots all day and fired a nice 71 on a course rated 73.4/138(?). We played the "black" tees, which are not on the scorecard. Only 6600ish, but with that rating and slope, and you can see how tricky the course is. Tons of elevation change and lots of counter-intuitive breaks on the greens.

Felt completely at peace all day. No anxiety of nervousness or indecision on a single shot, really.

A big part of that is Aim Point, which I use to an extent when putting. I don't do the "finger" thing, but I do the "stand at my ball and up by the hole and 'feel' the slope with my feet" thing. It's amazing how much that can help you feel comfortable over putts on away greens.

10 fairways, 12 greens, 29 putts. Just a good, solid round of golf. When I missed a green, I chipped it to within 3-feet every time. Very pleased.

Do you hit the ball low or high?

Mid/short irons mid trajectory

Long irons low trajectory

I have 2-4 hybrid and 3,4 irons that I swap in and out depending. But for tournament and prep I will play at minimum 2-4 h and maybe more, or a very ago/ gi irons down thru 7 or 8 iron. I am thinking probably 9-w blades because I like thinner soles for chip shots and use these some for that.

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

I qualified for my third time to represent Oregon in the PNGA cup next spring. It is a ryder cup format with WA,OR,ID and BC..

• Like 1

PING G430 Max 8 degree (digitally lofted) TR Blue 6X tipped .5". 44.5" D4 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

SCOTTY CAMERON T11 BGT POLAR SHAFT SAND BLASTED TO MATCH HEAD... FLATSO 1.0

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

I shot a 63 last Monday in an ORPGA PRO AM at Eugene Country club, it was only fro 6400 yards but I also had a bogey and it tied my personal best.

• Like 1

PING G430 Max 8 degree (digitally lofted) TR Blue 6X tipped .5". 44.5" D4 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

SCOTTY CAMERON T11 BGT POLAR SHAFT SAND BLASTED TO MATCH HEAD... FLATSO 1.0

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

I shot a 63 last Monday in an ORPGA PRO AM at Eugene Country club, it was only fro 6400 yards but I also had a bogey and it tied my personal best.

Fantastic!! Are you a mid-am? Or college golfer?

Obee

I am 61 last year I only played 1 tournament Washington state Senior Open 3 rounds were 79, 72, 83.

Putting was atrocious inside 4 feet and I hit some bad shots. Made Quad from 130 yards hit 2 balls long over green OB.. 72 I had 5 birdies but missed 5 putts inside 4 feet. I plan on playing 4-6 events in 2019

I will post them once I have dates.

Obee

I am 61 last year I only played 1 tournament Washington state Senior Open 3 rounds were 79, 72, 83.

Putting was atrocious inside 4 feet and I hit some bad shots. Made Quad from 130 yards hit 2 balls long over green OB.. 72 I had 5 birdies but missed 5 putts inside 4 feet. I plan on playing 4-6 events in 2019

Come join us in the "Putting Improvement" thread! I switched to the claw about two years ago. Currently averaging UNDER 29 putts per round. That's not the greatest putting stat to determine putting prowess, but it's totally legit with every round counted. I used to miss 2 putts per round under four feet. Guaranteed. Not anymore. :-)

Obee

Come join us in the "Putting Improvement" thread! I switched to the claw about two years ago. Currently averaging UNDER 29 putts per round. That's not the greatest putting stat to determine putting prowess, but it's totally legit with every round counted. I used to miss 2 putts per round under four feet. Guaranteed. Not anymore. :-)

I have been following your thread and I have putted on and off with Claw past 5 years. I am going to practice with Phiil's grip and see how that feels. I need to start tracking putts I have a spreadsheet from Don Drake will enter it there.

I sent swing to Dan C I have issues with depth and width with my swing he gave me 2 drills starting to hit it better. Problem is too much right arm bend and not enough turn. The feeling he gave me was pulling a bow and arrow how it loads your right side.

Good luck your scoring is impressive averaging 29 putts a round is hard to comprehend.

I have switched jobs three times in the past two years. The last two jobs I hated and didn't get to play or practice much at all, hence the switches, and when I can't practice I don't like playing in tournaments and not playing well. Takes the fun out of it for me when it feels like you are playing with one hand tied behind your back.

I have qualified for the state am several times over the years, have tried to qualify for the US AM a few times and missed. This year, my new job is awesome and will afford me plenty of golf and practice time. My kids are also now grown so I have more "me" time which sucks to be honest, I miss kids time.

This year I plan to play four local tourneys here that are always fun and should be able to compete to win each. I plan to play in the state am, state mid-am, and depending how my game is, I am going to try to qualify for the US AM and Mid-Am this year. I may play a few state Monday events to prep.

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

I have switched jobs three times in the past two years. The last two jobs I hated and didn't get to play or practice much at all, hence the switches, and when I can't practice I don't like playing in tournaments and not playing well. Takes the fun out of it for me when it feels like you are playing with one hand tied behind your back.

I have qualified for the state am several times over the years, have tried to qualify for the US AM a few times and missed. This year, my new job is awesome and will afford me plenty of golf and practice time. My kids are also now grown so I have more "me" time which sucks to be honest, I miss kids time.

This year I plan to play four local tourneys here that are always fun and should be able to compete to win each. I plan to play in the state am, state mid-am, and depending how my game is, I am going to try to qualify for the US AM and Mid-Am this year. I may play a few state Monday events to prep.

Yes!!

This is what it's all about. We put it out there and we either do or we don't. As amateurs, our bar should be the same as pros: we do it or we do not. There is no team to rely on. There is just us and the course that day and that field. :-)