2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

What's wrong with my G400

0psi

So I recently picked up a G400 LST and I can't hit this thing straight for the life of me.

Now my driver previous was a G400 which went great. Mostly straight but I could work a little fade or draw, just a bit too spinny for me. Managed to swap my G400 for a G400 LST and after 2 rounds and one range session I'm still all over the place with it. I'm lucky to get it going straight 20% of the time, otherwise it's a big slice or a snap hook.

At the range today I grabbed a mate's Rogue. 3 balls, dead straight. Even grabbed another mates old TM R580, that went dead straight. Grabbed the pros Mizzy GT 180, you guessed it, dead straight. Back to my G400 LST, all over the place again.

A bit about me- SS 120-125 with my miss being high toe.

Previous drivers.

G400- Ping Tour 65 X

'17 M1- KK DC TX

917 D2- Fujikura EXS 7.1

Like the 3 drivers I hit at the range today, all of those went relatively straight. If I missed with one of those I knew it was probably me. With the G400 LST I feel like I've put some good swings on it only to see it fly wildly one way or the other, usually more right than left, despite all my other clubs going left if I miss.

I know it's a bit of a stab in the dark but any gurus have any ideas what's going on here?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LST is fade biased like the old Titleist LFE. Is the shaft too soft? Too little loft? Crosswind?

Fade biased is generally fine by me as my miss is always left. Played an Epic SZ for a while and hit nice taily fades with it.

My G400 was 9 degree set at 8.4 which worked well but I couldn't get spin below 3300.

My LST is an 8.5 head which I started at 9.1 and then 9.5. Seemed to straighten out a little at 9.5 but now it's going way high. I'm talking 60-70m high.

Shaft feels pretty nice, the Tour 65 X is pretty stout so I'd be surprised if it's that.

First round out with it was crazy windy so I wasn't too worried about where it went then. Second round and range session were dead calm.

Not sure but I tried to get along with the g400max and just couldn't. Tried several shaft offering and lifts. Ended up going back to my 2016M2

I got along really well with the G400, it just spun a little too much for me so I thought the G400 LST would be perfect. Ball flight has certainly improved with the LST, still quite high but it's a nice flat ball flight, just left and right is out of control.

Spin to low?

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

What's the swingweight? Did the lengths change?

I suspect it's gone up a touch from my G400 but it's close enough that I'd have to have to swingweight it to be sure. It's close enough that it wasn't immediately apparent that it was heavier or lighter than my previous clubs.

Shaft is the same as I had in my G400 previously so unless the heads are different it's going to be exactly the same length etc.

LST is fade biased like the old Titleist LFE. Is the shaft too soft? Too little loft? Crosswind?

Fade biased is generally fine by me as my miss is always left. Played an Epic SZ for a while and hit nice taily fades with it.

My G400 was 9 degree set at 8.4 which worked well but I couldn't get spin below 3300.

My LST is an 8.5 head which I started at 9.1 and then 9.5. Seemed to straighten out a little at 9.5 but now it's going way high. I'm talking 60-70m high.

Shaft feels pretty nice, the Tour 65 X is pretty stout so I'd be surprised if it's that.

First round out with it was crazy windy so I wasn't too worried about where it went then. Second round and range session were dead calm.

Using an 8.5 and going up in loft is closing the face. I've hit the LST extensively and for me the sweetspot was a 10 degree head on the big "-"playing at 9 degrees. I currently use a 10.5 Max and do the same thing playing it at 9.5

So I recently picked up a G400 LST and I can't hit this thing straight for the life of me.

Now my driver previous was a G400 which went great. Mostly straight but I could work a little fade or draw, just a bit too spinny for me. Managed to swap my G400 for a G400 LST and after 2 rounds and one range session I'm still all over the place with it. I'm lucky to get it going straight 20% of the time, otherwise it's a big slice or a snap hook.

At the range today I grabbed a mate's Rogue. 3 balls, dead straight. Even grabbed another mates old TM R580, that went dead straight. Grabbed the pros Mizzy GT 180, you guessed it, dead straight. Back to my G400 LST, all over the place again.

Previous drivers.

G400- Ping Tour 65 X

'17 M1- KK DC TX

917 D2- Fujikura EXS 7.1

Like the 3 drivers I hit at the range today, all of those went relatively straight. If I missed with one of those I knew it was probably me. With the G400 LST I feel like I've put some good swings on it only to see it fly wildly one way or the other, usually more right than left, despite all my other clubs going left if I miss.

I know it's a bit of a stab in the dark but any gurus have any ideas what's going on here?

Do you still have access to your G400 shaft?

If so, put it in the LST head and see if it works better.

The LST head sits more open and the head is definitely lower spinning. The lower the spin off your club face, the more it is likely to go all over the place. The higher the spin, the straighter you are .... As you lower your spin, unless the spin and strike point improves...your dispersion will definitely have a little more variety.

Previous drivers.

G400- Ping Tour 65 X

'17 M1- KK DC TX

917 D2- Fujikura EXS 7.1

Do you still have access to your G400 shaft?

If so, put it in the LST head and see if it works better.

Exactly what I did. It was just a head swap.

I was expecting a little more fade bias and a little less spin but otherwise much the same.

Hazrdus yellow is a great shaft for the LST. Maybe give it a try. Really like the G400s, but TS drivers are calling me?! ;)

Ping Hoofer Lite

TM Qi10 10.5*

TM Qi10 4/7W

Mizuno 243 5-GW

Mizuno T24 54/S, 58/D

Mizuno OMOI #2

Mizuno RB Tour

Super Bowl LII Champions Fly Eagles Fly! 🦅

The LST head sits more open and the head is definitely lower spinning. The lower the spin off your club face, the more it is likely to go all over the place. The higher the spin, the straighter you are .... As you lower your spin, unless the spin and strike point improves...your dispersion will definitely have a little more variety.

I haven't got the LST on a launch monitor yet but I doubt it's too low spinning. My G400 was usually mid 3000s and if I manufactured a swing I was occasionally able to get it under 3000 occasionally.

I was hoping that the LST would get me down to 3000 or so but I'd be amazed if it's any lower than that.

You will have to get some numbers on those clubs to indentify where the problem

is, unless you get on a LM, but even then we should measure those clubs to see what parameters thats different

But....when we vary on direction, there is 2 causes for that

#1 - variable face to path - could be a weight, club balance or grip question

#2 - variable impact (heel to to axis) could be play length, weight or club balance

The difference between a "low spin head" and a regular, is the distance from RCOG to the face

The shorter this measurement is, the less dynamic loft is added by forward shaft bending, and thats fine, but we also remove directional forgiveness on off center hits. That means it dont take much on length, wgt or balance before even small varieties to impact gives huge differences to ball flight.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1179768-dumb-question/#entry11568052

When we make a impact heel side, the balls axis will be tilted against a fade, and when we make impact toe side, the axis will be tilted against a draw.

The correction or gear effect is larger the further back RCOG is, so with a short RCOG we dont get the correction needed, and dispersion gets all over the place. For higher club speed and spin players this is a trade off between spin and directional forgiveness, but there is "better" solutions.....

High club speed players produce high spin numbers if they like it or not, but like all others, we can take advantage of Vertical gear effects to keep spin down. During impact, the head will twist a tad and cause a gear effect, so depending on the height we make impact, on a axis sole to crown, spin will vary with average 480 rpms for each 2/8" inch up and down.

To keep spin levels down, we must prevent to make impact lower than the center line of the face, but not to high on the face either, then smash factor and ball speed drops.

So...get actual play length, total weight and SW value measured on those clubs, and read this DIY driver tune up if you wants to improve the performance of that club.

http://www.golfwrx.c...up-diy-fitting/

Since you seems to be a high apex player, you will most likely need a lower static loft than you play. If a low impact is the reason you have high spin values, spin will drop like a stone when you raise impact, but launch would be higher too, and it might be way higher than wanted and needed, so i suggest you get on a launch monitor to get some numbers.

DO NOT SEND PMs WITH CLUB TECH QUESTIONS - USE THE PUBLIC FORUM.

Thanks Howard, it's always enlightening when you show up!

Speaking of weight though, would a high swingweight cause a miss that is either right or a snap hook?

When I first picked up the new head I thought it felt a bit heavy, finally got around to swingweighting it and it came out at D6.

In my head (I could be way off here) the extra head weight (head weighed 209g) means I am struggling to square up the face which is leading to a slice. Alternatively I get really aggressive with my release leading to a snap hook. Every once in a while I get the timing right and deliver a square clubface.

Does that sound right? I have ordered a couple of lighter weights to see bring the swingweight down to D3-D4 which is where I generally like it.

Speaking of weight though, would a high swingweight cause a miss that is either right or a snap hook?

When I first picked up the new head I thought it felt a bit heavy, finally got around to swingweighting it and it came out at D6.

In my head (I could be way off here) the extra head weight (head weighed 209g) means I am struggling to square up the face which is leading to a slice. Alternatively I get really aggressive with my release leading to a snap hook. Every once in a while I get the timing right and deliver a square clubface.

Does that sound right? I have ordered a couple of lighter weights to see bring the swingweight down to D3-D4 which is where I generally like it.

Yes a head wgt to high can cause those problems, and you already feel its "heavy", so if possible go down on head wgt. If thats not possible (hot melt added), the only real option is going shorter to get SW down. Test by lowering your hands on the grip.

DO NOT SEND PMs WITH CLUB TECH QUESTIONS - USE THE PUBLIC FORUM.

Yes a head wgt to high can cause those problems, and you already feel its "heavy", so if possible go down on head wgt. If thats not possible (hot melt added), the only real option is going shorter to get SW down. Test by lowering your hands on the grip.

13g weight is in there now and I have a 7 and 10g on order. Hopefully that fixes it!

Cheers mate.

• 4 weeks later...

Sometimes you just don't get along with a certain club.

Horses for courses.

I had a Rogue SZ in my bag for about 3 weeks. Specs said it was the perfect club for me.

It wasn't.

Not even close.

Got a Ping G400Max and never looked back. (it's got a Rogue headcover on it since the headcover came after I sold the short lived Rogue).

Don't try to figure it out.

Move on.

X________________________________ Sign Here

I’ve found over the years that sometimes you find a driver that just doesn’t jive for you. All the combos and tinkering just doesn’t fix it.

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1