The surprising Callaway Fusion driver

sfdoddsy

My wife still games a Nike SQ 3 & 5 wood. Long and automatic in her hands.

QOTD - Does she play Titleist Tour Soft ? ;)

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

My wife still games a Nike SQ 3 & 5 wood. Long and automatic in her hands.

QOTD - Does she play Titleist Tour Soft ? ;)

I completely forgot about those, I still have them by the way un-touched.

She still has about 13 unused boxes of Callaway HX Pearls. If I ever brought a pink ball home she would probably impale me with a golf shaft.

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

• 4 weeks later...

I've been unfaithful. About a year or so ago I bought a Callaway Fusion driver and it pretty much saved my golf game! Long and ridiculously forgiving... We were happy for a while and then as usual my eyes started to wander. I had my head turned by a pretty little Taylormade M2, that didn't last very long! Moved unto a JPX 900, Callaway Rogue, Ping G400 and finally a Titleist 917. Suddenly found myself back where I was a year or so ago, no confidence or consistency off the tee, I actually spent the last month hitting nothing longer than a 4i.

Then I came across another Fusion on Gumtree, they say never go back but I was desperate! Swallowed my pride went back with my tail between my legs and the last three rounds of golf have been my best driving rounds since the Fusion was last in my bag! You can trust me this time, I've learned my lesson, I'm never going to stray again!

Last week, I bought a Fusion driver with a Rogue Max 65 g stiff shaft as a gift for my brother. He hasn't hit it yet. Was only $78 w/ shipping after $30 of credit from 2ndswing. There was a chip in the ferrule, but otherwise really good condition. Any one played this head/shaft combo? Wonder why it was selling for so cheap...

Last week, I bought a Fusion driver with a Rogue Max 65 g stiff shaft as a gift for my brother. He hasn't hit it yet. Was only $78 w/ shipping after $30 of credit from 2ndswing. There was a chip in the ferrule, but otherwise really good condition. Any one played this head/shaft combo? Wonder why it was selling for so cheap...

I think it’s Carl’s that has The Fusions new for $99 in an ad this week.

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2

Did not work for me. I had to send it back. There was no pop off the face and felt really dead.

I will be waiting for the Rogue series. I at least tried that one first and man, let me tell you if you do not already know, it hits the ball.

Wilson Dynapwr Driver

Srixon ZX MK II 2 Hybrid

Cleveland Zipcore XL 5 Iron

Srixon ZX4 MK II Irons 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 4 wedges

Cleveland HB soft 8 putter 

Srixon Q Star Tour ball

I've been unfaithful. About a year or so ago I bought a Callaway Fusion driver and it pretty much saved my golf game! Long and ridiculously forgiving... We were happy for a while and then as usual my eyes started to wander. I had my head turned by a pretty little Taylormade M2, that didn't last very long! Moved unto a JPX 900, Callaway Rogue, Ping G400 and finally a Titleist 917. Suddenly found myself back where I was a year or so ago, no confidence or consistency off the tee, I actually spent the last month hitting nothing longer than a 4i.

Then I came across another Fusion on Gumtree, they say never go back but I was desperate! Swallowed my pride went back with my tail between my legs and the last three rounds of golf have been my best driving rounds since the Fusion was last in my bag! You can trust me this time, I've learned my lesson, I'm never going to stray again!

I never say "never" but I hit the new TS2 & 3 and the Ping MAX last week. Tried various shafts and had my Fusion with me for comparison purposes.

There IS no comparison,,,,,,,,,, for ME. The only thing the TS2&3 did "better" than my combo was spin a little ('bout 200 RPM) less. The 400MAX spun considerably more (+3-400 RPM ) but was very straight so the possibility exists that, given the right shaft, that could be a gamer for me BUT, there's no way to try upcharge shafts in the Pings so that's a non-starter for me.

I hit the TS2 & 3 far less consistently. Dispersion was not very good with the 3 and only a little bit better with the 2. Neither was anywhere near as consistent as my Fusion.

I could possibly see myself with the 400MAX IF I could find the right shaft,,,,,,,,, but it's far too expensive for me to try to find it.

As for the price, for you guys for whom $100 isn't that big a deal, get yourself one and fiddle around with it. Try some different shafts for it and experiment. Maybe you'll find the right combo.

PGATSS has the Fusion, from everything I can see a poor selling club brand new, for $299. They have brand new EPICS for $279 :dntknw: But on da bay you can find 'em for real cheap.

Fusion "forever". :yahoo:

Titleist Pro V1X

There's a rogue max?

Shaft.

Titleist Pro V1X

I received mine about a week ago. Put an MRC Silver DC TS flex shaft in it and I like that better than the MRC Diamana Red it came with. It is way more muted than I anticipated, but I like it. Has nice pop off the face when hit on the screws. It is absolutely crazy forgiving; can get away with misses that should be way more penalizing. I have the 9* head and for the first time I have experienced hits where I'm not getting enough spin and the ball is just falling out of the air. So I bumped up the loft setting on the collar and I'm generally getting better ball flight.

So for me, straight is now less of a problem; I just need to work on getting more optimal numbers for launch and spin to get the distance where I want it. I'm looking forward to getting on a launch monitor with this driver.

I have both the TS2 and the TS3, the fusion definitely sounds better and feels better. I can also control the ball better, therefore the dispersion is somewhat tighter. However I need a lower loft due to my unorthodox swing, if the Fusion had a 8.5 deg loft with low spin, I would be gaming that. the areas where TS drivers excel is the speed across the entire face and the lower spin. Im hoping the new PXG has the look feel and control of the Fusion but the forgiveness and spin of the TS, that would be my perfect driver.

I sold my Fusion when the Rogue came out and had been using it for a while. The Rogue gave me maybe all of 1-2 mph difference in ballspeed but I am no where close to the same dispersion level that the Fusion gave me. I had the Aldila Rogue 125 shaft in the Fusion head and my spin was rarely over 1900-2100 spin and off center hits just went straight. I decided to pick back up a Fusion head for $80 and am now going to sell my Rogue. I'm perfectly happy giving up 5 yards on my best hits if it means I hit it straight almost every time. The Fusion is just point and shoot!

My last two rounds sum up why I love the Fusion so much.

First one I was swinging the club beautifully and the Fusion was pretty much as long as any other driver I've played in the last few years.

Second round I found every square inch of the driver face throughout the round other than the centre and instead of hooking OB the ball was landing in the left rough, instead of slicing across three fairways it was landing in the right rough, etc, etc...

This club is almost as long (for me) than anything else I've ever tried and when I'm not finding the middle of the clubface it is much more forgiving than I have any right to expect.

Fusion forever indeed! :)

Well another year with the fusion, been playing since it came 10.5 with Diamana r series stiff, driver has 16 gram weight, midsize grip, it’s very heavy. This year I was fitted in May at club champions, tried all the drivers and nothing was consistently straighter or longer. They concluded as such and said no driver needed.

Switched shafts last month to try the speeder evo 3 661 Stiff, little stiffer, little lower, more distance as more roll.. Still have the r series so I’ll do some testing over the winter on a launch monitor against a few other shafts. Driver is 10.5.

I picked up a stock 9 degree fusion with a Diamana red stiff shaft that is stock from Callaway preowned for about 89 on eBay. Looks brand new. Tried the shaft in my 10.5, way weaker, loss of distance and fade to a slice. In general the shaft is noth8ng like the r series or evo 2.

This winter we have some Pings we will demo it against, but not any other drivers. Mizuno, Wilson, taylormade and titleist all out. I might retest with a rogue or epic with proper weighting for me like the Fusion. I need a headweight 200-205 and Callaway and rogue heads are super light so I need big weights.

Love the fusion, works for me and it’s the best performance value out there, similar to Cobra encore which I played for 3-4 years before switching.

Mizuno ST-Max 10.5 Smoke RDX 50 5.5, AI Smoke 10.5 with HZRDOUS RDX RED 50 5.5

Mizuno ST-MaX 5 stock Kail'l R

Mizuno ST-Max 7 stock Kail'l R

AI Smoke HL 7-AW Nippon Neo 85

AI Smoke 7/8 Hybrid HZRDOUS Siver 65 Gen 4 5.5

Cleveland Full Face 52

Cleveland Full Face 56

Odyssey Jailbird 380

Titelist prov1x/Callaway Chrome Soft

And for anyone commenting that the Fusion sits closed... not in my experience, no way, no how. In fact, I struggled to find a setting on the collar that got the face to sit square and not open when soled. This is not a draw biased, closed face driver. It's an uber forgiving driver that will reward duffers and scratch golfers alike. At least that's my take so far.

MGS has posted their latest 2018 update to the driver CG location reporting. The Fusion still shows up very well among current competition. The Rogue is more draw biased. The Fusion is still one of the highest MOI drivers with the CG as close as possible to the neutral axis. I believe if you view the CGNA (CG relative to the Neutral Axis graph) and divide it into quarters, the drivers farther into the bottom right corner provide the best balance between getting the CG close the the NA while also having higher MOI. That all means that the Fusion should work well for a lot of golfers.

Clearly the timing of Callaway's release of the Fusion is part of the reason why this driver ended up flying under the radar for a lot of people. Of course there are those who can't stand to look at it, but all I care about is the results.

I brought the Fusion back out today. I’m having issues with my driver swing (video posted on the swing videos forum if interested). The Fusion immediately gave me much better accuracy and more distance. Even on hits that I would consider to be very poor, it still went straight. It’s very hard to misshit this club.

The biggest negative for me is the sound off the face. I much prefer how to the Cobra Fly Z sounds.

I had a lesson yesterday with my pro. I had been hitting irons very well but still cutting my woods. We made a few tweaks and by the end of the lesson I was hitting every club as well as I am capable. Excited to keep grooving what he showed me.

For the driver, I have the ball a little further back in my stance than I had been doing (I tend to let it creep forward too much). The biggest change was to sort of pre-set the beginning of my turn at address. So he has me set up square, and then turn my hips slightly closed without moving my feet or shoulders. Just sort of setting my right hip back a little and my left hip forward. I turn from there and just kill it. I feel like I can really release the club without fearing a slice, and that full release helps it go straighter.

I don't find that the Fusion lacks any pop off the face at all, and now that I'm finding the middle of the clubface more and more often I like the solid feel that it provides. I think I can stick with this head for a long time.

FWIW my head is 10.5, and I have it set up D/+1*. My flight is rather high, but it's a steady climb to its peak with some rollout. Not too backspinny at all.

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

I received my "new" Fusion driver today from Carl's Golfland and it is definitely not new. This thing has been well used with pop up marks on the crown and toe with scuffs all along the bottom of the club. I emailed them to ask for a replacement or refund, I double checked and it shows new on the order. Little frustrating as I was going to take it to the range tomorrow and the course this weekend. Oh well, I will wait a bit longer and miss a few more fairways ;)

Was at the range Did a quick test no detail number just my simple sc200 and eye balls. Callaway fusion 10.5 with 661 evo 3 stiff vs ping 10.5 max 661 evo 3 stiff. Both were mid size grips and weighted 343 for Callaway and 340 for ping. Sound was thud for the Callaway and Ping for the Ping. Ball flight was lower on the Callaway interested to see height and rollout on a monitor. Callaway went straight then a little 5-10 yard fade. The Max was more like 10-20 yard fade, wind was 15 mph from left to right so that was probably it or the fact the Max was going higher and the wind was potentially pushing it more.

It was 48 degrees. Even with lower ball flight the Callaway was carrying about 10 yards more than the max. As far as forgiveness, slight edge to max, I had balls marks consistent with my normal strikes, center low, center middle and toe side middle with an occasional heel shot on both clubs.

So for the price it’s a no brainer. But you have to get the headweight up on the Callaway to match the ping. Callaway clubs are just too light in stock trim.

Next week launch monitor time.

On a different note, the fairways didn’t perform as well for me, they are heavy draw biased and the head is too high. I found the Mizuno jpx 900 to be the straightest fairway wood of all the majors, not the longest but most reliably straight and longest. The speeder evo 2 real deal made in Japan 569 or 661 shaft is the best stock shaft ever offered.

Mizuno ST-Max 10.5 Smoke RDX 50 5.5, AI Smoke 10.5 with HZRDOUS RDX RED 50 5.5

Mizuno ST-MaX 5 stock Kail'l R

Mizuno ST-Max 7 stock Kail'l R

AI Smoke HL 7-AW Nippon Neo 85

AI Smoke 7/8 Hybrid HZRDOUS Siver 65 Gen 4 5.5

Cleveland Full Face 52

Cleveland Full Face 56

Odyssey Jailbird 380

Titelist prov1x/Callaway Chrome Soft

Was at the range Did a quick test no detail number just my simple sc200 and eye balls. Callaway fusion 10.5 with 661 evo 3 stiff vs ping 10.5 max 661 evo 3 stiff. Both were mid size grips and weighted 343 for Callaway and 340 for ping. Sound was thud for the Callaway and Ping for the Ping. Ball flight was lower on the Callaway interested to see height and rollout on a monitor. Callaway went straight then a little 5-10 yard fade. The Max was more like 10-20 yard fade, wind was 15 mph from left to right so that was probably it or the fact the Max was going higher and the wind was potentially pushing it more.

It was 48 degrees. Even with lower ball flight the Callaway was carrying about 10 yards more than the max. As far as forgiveness, slight edge to max, I had balls marks consistent with my normal strikes, center low, center middle and toe side middle with an occasional heel shot on both clubs.

So for the price it’s a no brainer. But you have to get the headweight up on the Callaway to match the ping. Callaway clubs are just too light in stock trim.

Next week launch monitor time.

On a different note, the fairways didn’t perform as well for me, they are heavy draw biased and the head is too high. I found the Mizuno jpx 900 to be the straightest fairway wood of all the majors, not the longest but most reliably straight and longest. The speeder evo 2 real deal made in Japan 569 or 661 shaft is the best stock shaft ever offered.

Callaway sent me a 12G weight for my Fusion just for writing in and asking.

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

• 2 weeks later...

Mine came with the 12 gram. Played this sat and had a blast with the driver. It was easily the best club in my bag. I was landing really close to where I was aiming, super straight. I cut mine to 45" as that is where I have the best ball contact.

Bag is in overhaul mode

Clubs identify as hacker set

Can anyone comment on the face angle? Closed?Neutral?

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2