2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Longer Hitters - How often do you really hit 3W off the deck

golf85

3 wood off the deck is a very intimidating shot. There are days I am all over it and days I can’t hit it for the life of me but, it’s always a fun try. It’s up there near trying to hit a stinger and a 40 foot high flip shot.

But I totally get it when people say they would rather not use a 3 wood off the deck.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Almost never, but you'd have to get down on your hands and knees to see that there was a tee under my ball from the blocks. I play it off the tee a lot, but it's teed right down, almost to the ground.

Titleist TSi3 8º - LAGP DJ 65-6
Titleist TSi3 15º - LAGP TourAxs Blue 
PING iCrossover 3i - PING Tour Chrome 2.0 
Mizuno Pro 245  5-GW C-Taper 
Mizuno T22  52º, 56º, 60º C-Taper

Scotty Special Select Newport 2 
Titleist Left Dash -ProV1x

Threads like this make me realize how lucky I am that I started golf early on in my life and grew up hitting 3 woods off the deck. Never been that intimidating to me which is lucky

WITB
Taylormade SIM2 10.5* Ventus Black 6X
Taylormade SIM 19* AD-DI 7X

Taylormade Stealth 3h Ventus Blue 9X
Mizuno MP-69 4-PW Modus 120 S
Vokey SM9 50 - 55 - 60 DGTI S400 

Scotty Cameron GoLo 6

eh- depends on the condiitons.. i have 1 par 5 that handcuffs you off the tee and leaves a 2nd shot dead uphill , and often into the wind.. its usually a 3 wood or a 2 iron/hybrid shot.. thats about it.... so id say once every 2 weeks....

13?

Yes sir. Depends on how good my tee ball is. If you cut that corner you can have 6 iron in. But its risky from the back.

With the tees today it was a mid iron off the tee and a mid iron in.

Threads like this make me realize how lucky I am that I started golf early on in my life and grew up hitting 3 woods off the deck. Never been that intimidating to me which is lucky

I don't find it intimidating at all.

I find at my distance and with the courses I play that its unnecessary most rounds.

If I bomb a drive I rarely have 250+ out on a hole and like I said I have a driving iron that is used of tight tee holes.

I carried extra irons and wedges over fairway woods for most my golfing career because I never found I needed to hit the shot.

Think you may have missed many of us saying it’s just not a required shot or yardage we see a lot. If you’re a longer hitter playing 6800y courses, with good driving you won’t really need many turf 3w now,

I can hit the shot without issue, most of us grew up with it lol. You’re not special!

Once every couple rounds or so...I live by the mantra “the closer, the betterâ€

& I’m confident enough in my wedge play around the green that if I’ve got a decent lie from 250+ on a par 5, I’m trying to get there rather than lay up (barring something real dangerous around the green). There are a few par 5s around here that push 600, so it definitely comes out for those holes and there are a couple others that it sees use on if I don’t cut enough corner off.

Had a couple exotics, and while super long, they weren’t the best off the deck. Moved to a Ping G & have never felt better hitting approaches into par 5s.

Quite a bit.

PING G430 10k 9* Project X HZRDUS Hulk
PING G425 14.5* Tensei Orange 
PING G425 17* Tensei Orange
Titleist TSR Hybrids HZRDUS Silver 
PING i210 Irons Project X LZ
Edel Wedges S400 / TaylorMade MyMG4 Wedges S400
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Robert Mark Headcovers
Jordan Golf Shoes
PING Hoofer

eh- depends on the condiitons.. i have 1 par 5 that handcuffs you off the tee and leaves a 2nd shot dead uphill , and often into the wind.. its usually a 3 wood or a 2 iron/hybrid shot.. thats about it.... so id say once every 2 weeks....

13?

Yes sir. Depends on how good my tee ball is. If you cut that corner you can have 6 iron in. But it’s risky from the back.

yep.. i dont know why they have the white tees down front and that tee box closed..theres another tee above the normal white box that never gets used. i may move them myself in the morning..lol we are 1st or second group out i think ....

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

13?

Yes sir. Depends on how good my tee ball is. If you cut that corner you can have 6 iron in. But it’s risky from the back.

yep.. i dont know why they have the white tees down front and that tee box closed..theres another tee above the normal white box that never gets used. i may move them myself in the morning..lol we are 1st or second group out i think ....

It’s like they use rye grass on that tee that doesn’t really take off. I guess the tee doesn’t matter much just changes what you hit to get to the same spot. I think 18 has centipede grass that has been great as long as I can remember. 17 tee box is nice now too. Anywho I birdied 13 and 15 and played meh the rest of the day. Drove the ball good and hit crisp irons for the most part (couple brain farts) but didn’t score well. Chipping and putting nothing spectacular. Might have been due to being behind a twosome with a 5some in front of them and a slow 4some in front of them. Had to wait literally every hole.

I swing 3W about 110mph so not terribly long but i never hit it from the fairway. I'm just weird about woods in that I need a perfect lie to even attempt it and never get it. I probably get better results swinging out of my shoes to hit a driving iron from the FW that hitting 3W. I hit 3W off the tee the vast vast majority of the time though. Driver and I get at odds with each other quite a bit

I use it a fair bit. There are several courses I play that have a par 5 long enough that even with a good drive a 3 wood is required for the approach (I may not be classified as a golfwrx long hitter, my driver CHS is 114ish on a normal swing, ~280-285 carry). Granted these courses are playing low to mid 7000s. On top of that, there are several par 5s where the drive is constrained and I hit a 3 wood, hybrid, or even 3 iron off the tee, leaving a longer approach. I don't care what's around the green, if it's in reach on a par 5, I will go for it.

I have always been a sweeper of the golf club, even at times with my irons. I blame that technique with my irons back to my early teen days, when I used to, umh, borrow my dads Wilson Staff blades and go play. Being forged, my young uninformed mind felt if I only swept the irons, rather than strike a divot, the iron head would sustain less scratching, etc, and dad would never know I borrowed them. Well, I was wrong , but I digress. Back when Sonartec was all the rage, I picked up an SS03 model,14 degree,and instantly found the perfect combo of a tee 3 wood/fairway 3 wood.Still have it in the bag today, even picked up a few, very inexpensive backups. Maybe not as long as some, although it still gets out there, but it is that rare combo for ease of use from the tee or ground for a sweeper like myself. Plus, it sounds so damn good.

I swing 3W about 110mph so not terribly long but i never hit it from the fairway. I'm just weird about woods in that I need a perfect lie to even attempt it and never get it. I probably get better results swinging out of my shoes to hit a driving iron from the FW that hitting 3W. I hit 3W off the tee the vast vast majority of the time though. Driver and I get at odds with each other quite a bit

Ah this website...if you are swinging anything that fast you are long by nearly any standards.

Many demo days ago, the Tour Edge rep Jake (Dave Jacobs) had us testing out the new Exotics FW model.

He encouraged us to try both the 3W and 4W versions. For many of us, the 4W was more reliable - and sometimes flew longer - than the 3W. Our "test group" also had some long hitters (guys who could carry a driver circa 270 yards). A couple of longs also got more distance out of the 4W.

Whether you want 3W or 4W depends in part on how you come into the ball. Launch monitors help you determine which flies best.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

Well, I finally swapped in a 3-wood to replace the 1-irons I've been playing most of my life. Used to hit the 1 on a few tee shots per round and the 3-wood is a direct replacement for those shots.

However, on approach to par 5s, used to lay up with an iron if the green was not reasonably within reach. But finding that the 3-wood is giving me more chances off the deck to give it a go. More easily too.

That being said, used to find hitting any fairway wood to be a chore, but getting much more used to the idea. Off the tee, it's still a low tee to the ground, just like an iron for a Par 3, same easy swing and in the middle it is....

-VS

MAIN SET
Driver - TaylorMade 2009 Burner TP 8.5° | Alidila Rogue 125 MSI Tour I/O 60 X Flex
3-Wood - TaylorMade 2007 Burner TP 14.5° | Mitsubishi Diamana Blueboard 73X X Flex
2-9 Irons - Mizuno MP-60 Cut Muscle | Dynamic Gold SL X100 Flex
Wedges - Titleist Vokey SM6 50°/08F, 56°/14F, 60°/10S | Dynamic Gold X100 Flex
Putter - Titleist Scotty Cameron Squareback 1.5 | Golf Pride Tour Tradition Grip
Balls - Titleist Pro V1x

Grips - Golf Pride MCC | Black/Grey Plus4 ALIGN Midsize

I use it. Par 5 with a close dog-leg is most used case, I'll lay up to the corner and have 250-300 left, 3 wood territory. If not a tight green im going for it. Two such holes at my local so I'm usually hitting at least twice.

Any 500 yarders or more where I find rough off tee I may be using 3 wood.

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+
Utility one length 3,4 iron/mmt105tx
                                                              Forged one length 6-9/x100 wedge onyx

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

I do it multiple times a round usually, i play early when it's wet so anything 530+ (of which almost all of our par 5's are) will often leave 250yds or more and that's a 3 wood for me.

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Ah this website...if you are swinging anything that fast you are long by nearly any standards.

I don't swing the driver any faster is the sad part :( I'm the ave joe golfer in distance I'd think b/c I flight the ball too high. I'm sure there's people that swing it slower that hit it just as far or farther

Okay, these responses reflect my feelings. I love my 3W off the tee and depending on the course, use it usually 3-8 times a round, it has improved my fairways and driving immensely. I rarely have more than a 4 iron in on a par 5 and am more than comfortable with my 3 hybrid hitting into the odd long one.

If you typically have only a 4 or 5i into a par 5, are you really playing the correct tee? I feel a reachable par 5 should require a FW/Hyb to reach. Otherwise, I'm not starting in the right spot.

Course, my driver carry is only about 250 at sea level. 14.5* 3w is about 230-240. For the record, I ALWAYS play my FWs off the deck and practice them a lot! I also carry a 19* FW that gives me 210-215. I will use them to go for any green that isn't to firm or has penal surroundings.

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

I may be off - but I think a lot of people are misreading the OPs point. He's not saying he doesn't like hitting 3w off the deck because its an intimidating shot per se. He is saying is a largely unnecessary shot.

I'm not super long, but knock it out there a good ways. And I agree - maybe once every couple rounds I need a 3w off the deck. Its understandable why a short/medium hitter would need "the longest club they can elevate off the deck" a ton.

I'm actually in the process of turning my 3w into a tee ball oriented setup, as opposed to something I'm equivocating over with approach shot considerations. I just want my 3 wood to be a straight flying fairway finder from 250-270. Need this shot a lot for short-medium length par 4s, doglegs, etc. When i need it for the random par 5 approach I'll probably develop a high cut with it (which should work because I'm designing it to avoid the left rough off the tee).

TSR3 10* | Hzrdus Black Gen4 60TX 

Titleist TS3 3w | Diamana DF 70TX

Ping i525 3 iron | DG 120 X100 

Callaway Apex MB '18 5-Pw | DG X100 

Vokey SM8 52F, SM9 56F, SM7 60L | DG S400

Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Flow

One other kinda related point. If you really wanted to game this out you could probably find a driver that can be hit off the deck.

I almost never hit mine off the deck, not even because I try and it doesn't work. I honestly don't think I've ever gave it a whirl. But I was playing a scramble about 6 weeks ago. Was in my hometown and didn't have my bag. I used a borrowed G400 LST (not even the regular guy) - I had two opportunities where we were a long ways back on par 5s and I hated the 3 wood in that bag, so I hit the big dog. Both times it flew straight, made really solid contact and the one where the ball was sitting up I got a ton of air under it. The low CG in these new drivers makes them surprisingly easy to flight off the deck.

For the long hitter - a 3w designed to be hit off the deck is pretty much a waste of real estate in the bag.

TSR3 10* | Hzrdus Black Gen4 60TX 

Titleist TS3 3w | Diamana DF 70TX

Ping i525 3 iron | DG 120 X100 

Callaway Apex MB '18 5-Pw | DG X100 

Vokey SM8 52F, SM9 56F, SM7 60L | DG S400

Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Flow

Okay, these responses reflect my feelings. I love my 3W off the tee and depending on the course, use it usually 3-8 times a round, it has improved my fairways and driving immensely. I rarely have more than a 4 iron in on a par 5 and am more than comfortable with my 3 hybrid hitting into the odd long one.

If you typically have only a 4 or 5i into a par 5, are you really playing the correct tee? I feel a reachable par 5 should require a FW/Hyb to reach. Otherwise, I'm not starting in the right spot.

Course, my driver carry is only about 250 at sea level. 14.5* 3w is about 230-240. For the record, I ALWAYS play my FWs off the deck and practice them a lot! I also carry a 19* FW that gives me 210-215. I will use them to go for any green that isn't to firm or has penal surroundings.

BT

Agreed. If you can knock it off the tee 260-300 and don't have 300-250 remaining on a par 5, you're probably on the wrong tee box (barring a short course layout, that is).