Combo set or full blades

extrastiff

I play p730 P-6 and then p750 5-4 one degree strong on those. Absolutely love it. I do not do this because I can't hit a blade long iron, its purely for gapping reasons which allows me to alleviate the 3 iron and play a 2 iron without a massive gap while still keeping a 60-56-52 in the bag

Interesting...you simply shorten backswing/arc on the 2 iron to fill that gap?

That's a very cool approach. +1 point for combo. Think I should they 750's with 730? Or try my 770 4-5 with 730?

So for me that extra degree gets my 4i carry up to 215 and my 2 iron on a high soft shot will land around 235 or a lower flight that I can hit off of the tee and will roll forever. For me if you look at where you score, it is much more important to feel comfortable with the bottom end of the bag (wedges) versus being worried about a 20 yard gap for me at the top of my irons.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How has no one recommended baby blades yet? They aren't that much more expensive than the other new offerings, and I strongly recommend trying them out. They aren't the be-all, end-all of golf clubs (like some people think they are), but they are absolutely unique and totally worth it, IMO.

If that doesn't suit you, all the new offerings are fantastic. Apex MB are super easy to hit. MP18 and P730 are better looking IMO. I'm not a titleist fan and haven't hit the new MB. Just try a few and pick the one that suits your eye.

Unless you need a bit of help, then go Z965 or MP5.

I'd recommend full blade set, not combo. The only caveat is if you have any trouble elevating the ball, CBs in your 3/4/5 might be preferable.

For what it's worth, I've been playing the Bridgestone j33 combos since 2005. That was my initial foray into combo sets and I've absolutely love them to present date.

I am now a month away from choosing my next combo set which will either be a blend of the 919 tour and forged, or MP18 and SC.

Although my game is in a good place right now, I can always use that extra loving on the long irons

I purchased the MP4's as my first set of blades. Once I figured out that I was not man enough for them at that time, I started searching for something else. I went to 765's seeking a little more forgiveness. They were good but just didn't have the feel of the MP4's. I picked up the 965's with the intent to play a mixed set with the 765 long irons but found that the 965s were basically just as forgiving, so I sold the 765s on bst. I'm playing both the 965s and the MP4s still and don't really want to give up either set. There are lots of great blades out there...….these are just the two sets I happen to use.

Two sets and can't pick huh? Si couldn't handle that. Analysis paralysis every round

When I am just practicing or playing for fun I grab the MP4's as they are dreamy. When I am actually trying to shoot a low score or playing in a tourney I always go for the 965's. All of my lowest scores ever have come from the 965's. The best feeling golf shots I have ever hit have all come from the MP4's. Don't even ask me about my Mp-54's, CF-16's or my Steelhead XR Pros. I have a problem, wish it was just two sets to choose from. ,,,,,,, Oh, and combo sets never worked for me.

Srixon ZX5 Driver 10.5* Evenflow Riptide 50 6.0

Srixon ZX Fairway 15* Evenflow Riptide 60 6.0

Srixon ZX Fairway 21* Evenflow Riptide 70 6.0

Srixon ZX Utility 23* Recoil 95 F4

Srixon ZX Hybrid 25* Evenflow Riptide 80 6.0

Srixon ZX7 6-P Modus 120s

Cleveland Zipcore Full Face 52*,56*,60* Modus 115 Wedge

L.A.B. Golf B.2 LAGP TPZ ONE35

Srixon Z-Star

Full blades will make you strive to be better IMO

Yea I'm thinking I agree.

Any recommendations? Or is this the thread consensus (in this order)

1.p730

2.any newer blade offering

3. Any mizuno blade, starting with mp 4/5

Have you eliminated Bridgestone blades? J15 MBs are pretty sweet.

Ok ill keep those on the list too. im on the hunt as we speak

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+
Utility one length 3,4 iron/mmt105tx
                                                              Forged one length 6-9/x100 wedge onyx

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

BTW, i will post in WTB, but if anyone has full set of blades to sell along these lines, PM me!

Keep the recommends coming! looking all over for clubs right now

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

I went from game improvement irons to a combo set. When I went through the process of my first fitting I found that the blades gave me more of the results I was looking for. I’m a high ball hitter and iron play is my strength. I found that a little extra forgiveness in the long irons would be really beneficial to my game. I ended up going with Titleist 716 irons. P-8 MB, 7-6 CB and 4-5 TMB. As of late I’m thinking of switching the 5 iron to a cb because the tmb in that club is giving me some spotty performance. In my opinion a combo set can’t be beat. We’re not professionals, having options and flexibility in your set can only help.

How has no one recommended baby blades yet? They aren't that much more expensive than the other new offerings, and I strongly recommend trying them out. They aren't the be-all, end-all of golf clubs (like some people think they are), but they are absolutely unique and totally worth it, IMO.

If that doesn't suit you, all the new offerings are fantastic. Apex MB are super easy to hit. MP18 and P730 are better looking IMO. I'm not a titleist fan and haven't hit the new MB. Just try a few and pick the one that suits your eye.

Unless you need a bit of help, then go Z965 or MP5.

I'd recommend full blade set, not combo. The only caveat is if you have any trouble elevating the ball, CBs in your 3/4/5 might be preferable.

No worries elevating, im going full set.

Im not awesome enough for baby blades. Everyone knows that. :stop:

Im thinking p730's look too awesome to turn down. Was about to pull trigger on mp-5's (or z965) on the bay till you suggested they offerered more forgiveness. I assume that means sacrifice the tiniest bit of feel, so i held off.

I went from game improvement irons to a combo set. When I went through the process of my first fitting I found that the blades gave me more of the results I was looking for. I’m a high ball hitter and iron play is my strength. I found that a little extra forgiveness in the long irons would be really beneficial to my game. I ended up going with Titleist 716 irons. P-8 MB, 7-6 CB and 4-5 TMB. As of late I’m thinking of switching the 5 iron to a cb because the tmb in that club is giving me some spotty performance. In my opinion a combo set can’t be beat. We’re not professionals, having options and flexibility in your set can only help.

With all due respect, I don' see how a combo set represents options and flexibility. I see it as a choice that has limitations, just like a full set of blades or CBs does. Unless, of course, your definition of a combo set factors carrying/owning two versions of each iron.

Hmm. . . yea good points. Im not a pro, but I aspire to improve and im shooting really low since back from injury. so combo could prove a limitation (less shot shaping in long irons. However, all heresay till i hit a long iron blade next to my p770.

Ill probably buy a full set (used so no worries on devalue), and combo them if I find myself struggling with the blade long irons. I shouldn't but u never know.

great responses everyone thanks. . .

im thinking ill go in this order just based on aesthetics/recommendations.

1. p730 (but only have a line on a set without a 4 iron right now. Would love 4-pw)

2. mp4 (very hard to find)

3.any other high end, punishing (lol) blade for a good price (luck of the draw here, no guarantees. T MB's, callaway apex, baby blades, etc)

4. mp5/z965 (I worry they will not be the full blade experience, but the poster that recommended chooses them over mp4's for competition so must be pretty solid)

5.Combo set (in the event I turn into a duffer when i touch the long iron blades. Pretty unlikely, was hitting them fine before injury been a couple years, but its like riding a bike right? :swoon: )

There's nothing about MP-5s, or Z965s, that would make them short of a full blade experience. The MOI of the MP-5 is very close to that of the MP-4. Or the MP18, the MP-69, the MP-32, or the MP-33. Or even the MS-11 from the early 90s.

Any of those are a good choice.

Speaking to the original question... I've never been impressed with combo sets. The players' CBs don't give much forgiveness beyond the blades they're intended to replace, based on the MOI of most sets I've seen. There are exceptions, but a lot of them are quite similar. So I say full blade. If it turns out to suck for you, you can always replace long irons with a couple more forgiving options, like TM TP CBs, RBladez Tours, or something similar. Even the Precept Tour Premium, from 2000. :)

Full blade may work. It may not. You'll never know until you try.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I agree with getting a P730 set, and combo them however you want with your P770. That way you can start 730 PW-8, and then move to 7 or 6 iron 730 eventually, or even full blades! I go all blades as my practice set lol. Pretty sure you can find a set on eBay. Blades usually sell for cheaper I think.

Callaway Paradym TD 10* Ventus Red TR 5S

Titleist TSR3 13.5* 3 Wood Tour AD-IZ 6S

Titleist TSR3 19* hybrid Modus GOST S

Titleist TSR2 24* hybrid Modus GOST S

Callaway Paradym Hybrid 27* Ventus non Velocore S

Titleist T100 2023 6-PW KBS Tour V S

Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron X7.5 CS

There's nothing about MP-5s, or Z965s, that would make them short of a full blade experience. The MOI of the MP-5 is very close to that of the MP-4. Or the MP18, the MP-69, the MP-32, or the MP-33. Or even the MS-11 from the early 90s.

Speaking to the original question... I've never been impressed with combo sets. The players' CBs don't give much forgiveness beyond the blades they're intended to replace, based on the MOI of most sets I've seen. There are exceptions, but a lot of them are quite similar. So I say full blade. If it turns out to suck for you, you can always replace long irons with a couple more forgiving options, like TM TP CBs, RBladez Tours, or something similar. Even the Precept Tour Premium, from 2000. :)

I just purchased mp5's 3-pw on the bay‍♂️

And I'm gonna get p730's when I find a full set‍♂️

I played one of the original combo sets, Wilson Staff Progressives, for 12 years. Went away from the game for 3 years and when I came back, I got caught up in the marketing, ditched my Staffs and went through a series of ‘players’ CBs. I didn’t find that much difference in the long irons tbh but really missed the dispersion on the short irons. Found a brand new set of MP4s at half price (4-PW) just over 3 years ago and have since shot some of my best rounds ever. As others have said, the feel is like nothing else and I don’t find mishits that punishing, certainly no worse than the CBs I was playing.

Out of the current batch of MBs, the 730s really have grabbed my attention with the Callaway’s a close second. Having said that you can’t go wrong with the MP18s either!

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8

I vote Combo set too.

I don't miss my regular 4 & 5 irons at all, even thou they where longer

and I was still able to hit them good.

TAY; 7.5* SIM  SPEEDER 57  S.  (44 3/4")

TTL; 13.5* TSI 2 DIA BLU 70 S.  (42 7/8")

SRZ; 18* 85 U STEELFIBER 95I S. ( 39 3/4")

Cal; 4/5i EPIC, 6i-7i MVRK PR, 8i-PW MB  

Cal; 52* X FRG STK W. 
Cal;  ODYSSEY W B/W 

I played one of the original combo sets, Wilson Staff Progressives, for 12 years. Went away from the game for 3 years and when I came back, I got caught up in the marketing, ditched my Staffs and went through a series of ‘players’ CBs. I didn’t find that much difference in the long irons tbh but really missed the dispersion on the short irons. Found a brand new set of MP4s at half price (4-PW) just over 3 years ago and have since shot some of my best rounds ever. As others have said, the feel is like nothing else and I don’t find mishits that punishing, certainly no worse than the CBs I was playing.

Out of the current batch of MBs, the 730s really have grabbed my attention with the Callaway’s a close second. Having said that you can’t go wrong with the MP18s either!

730s

I agree with getting a P730 set, and combo them however you want with your P770. That way you can start 730 PW-8, and then move to 7 or 6 iron 730 eventually, or even full blades! I go all blades as my practice set lol. Pretty sure you can find a set on eBay. Blades usually sell for cheaper I think.
tvanks again everyone for advice.

I will post a video of some shots when irons arrive!

I’m a full blade kind of guy myself.

I recently swapped the 3 iron utility for my MP18 but missed the control and precision that would be spot on with the set 3 iron especially into par 3s.

3 iron is permanent back in the bag.

Im a full blade kind of guy myself.

I recently swapped the 3 iron utility for my MP18 but missed the control and precision that would be spot on with the set 3 iron especially into par 3s.

3 iron is permanent back in the bag.

Interesting... I can't use that much club on par 3's, probably gonna sell my mp5 3 iron.

So I went full blade. Mp5 4-pw. Bag just got sexier.

These things hit so well.. and no more of the forgiveness nonsense. When I hit one thin, it looks and feels thin. These will definitely clean my game up, I can feel exactly where the ball is hitting the face as I strike it. What I wanted.

Glad I didn't combo, 4-6 iron are the only ones I'm mis-hitting.

New respect for p770's, as they feel close, and now it feels pretty impossible to mis-hit them. But on pure shots.. yea blade 4 iron it is.

My biggest issue is always the transition in combo sets with regards to the offset and head size. I’m playing the Nike Vapor Pros. I love em! Maybe not purist blades, but I love the size and shape. I hit the vapor pro combos to potentially put the 4 and 5 in the bag for extra forgiveness up top. They felt okay, but the head size and offset was too much. Turns out my 4 iron is my favorite club.

I haven’t hit any of the newer club offerings. I must admit that the MP18 sets have me intrigued for the blending capabilities. Who doesn’t want to buy a better game!?

My biggest issue is always the transition in combo sets with regards to the offset and head size. I’m playing the Nike Vapor Pros. I love em! Maybe not purist blades, but I love the size and shape. I hit the vapor pro combos to potentially put the 4 and 5 in the bag for extra forgiveness up top. They felt okay, but the head size and offset was too much. Turns out my 4 iron is my favorite club.

I haven’t hit any of the newer club offerings. I must admit that the MP18 sets have me intrigued for the blending capabilities. Who doesn’t want to buy a better game!?

Yea the different look would have $&@"ed with my mind, sure of it.

Mp5 may not be "purist" either, but whatever forgiveness they may have is not exactly instilling me with bravado before shots lol... If I miss center or my path is off, I'm on someone else's fairway‍♂️

The mb18's are sweet. Hit them today at pga superstore when I was dropping off mp5s for lengthening. Feels eerily similar to the mp5, same look too. Switch the labels and I wouldn't know.

Once I get my clubs back and I grip them, video skytrak session will be posted here for those interested. Any suggestionmzjs of what y'all wanna see (mp5 4 iron vs 770 4 iron, GI 7 iron vs blade 5 iron, etc) just LMK!

Player: Jon Rahm

Greens in regulation: 70.83 percent

Irons (4): TaylorMade RSi UDI; (4-PW): TaylorMade P750

Rahm has a pair of 4-irons in his bag, but one of them, a TaylorMade RSi UDI is actually more of a 3-iron. The rest of Rahm’s iron set is the company’s P750 model. The clubs are three-quarters of an inch longer and 2 degrees upright. When asked by Golf Digest why he liked the cavity-back club, Rahm said, “It’s the forgiveness. I played musclebacks most of my career because I thought it was cool. But when I tried these irons it was just a lot easier, a lot more comfortable. When you’re in the fairway and you know that even if you don’t hit it perfect it’s still pretty much going to carry the same distance, that’s nice.”

TM SIM2 Stock Ventus

TM SIM2 MAX Rocket Oban Devotion
Callaway Rogue 17 Degree Project X Even Flow Blue
Titleist TS2 21 Degree Tensei Blue
Titleist T300 5-GW Nippon 950GH
Vokey SM6 54 + 58 KBS C Taper
Odyssey EXO 7s
Vice Pro Plus / Kirkland Signature

Player: Jon Rahm

Greens in regulation: 70.83 percent

Irons (4): TaylorMade RSi UDI; (4-PW): TaylorMade P750

Rahm has a pair of 4-irons in his bag, but one of them, a TaylorMade RSi UDI is actually more of a 3-iron. The rest of Rahm’s iron set is the company’s P750 model. The clubs are three-quarters of an inch longer and 2 degrees upright. When asked by Golf Digest why he liked the cavity-back club, Rahm said, “It’s the forgiveness. I played musclebacks most of my career because I thought it was cool. But when I tried these irons it was just a lot easier, a lot more comfortable. When you’re in the fairway and you know that even if you don’t hit it perfect it’s still pretty much going to carry the same distance, that’s nice.”

Yea sounds like there are some pros using p750s which I didn't know. Pretty cool, and after hitting my 770 next to mp5, I think I get it. 770's feel pretty similar, and yea mishits are still pretty good. 750 even better I'm sure, never hit.

Side note....I extended my clubs an inch at the behest of a tall, blade playing partner.

my first round out with the mp5's. I'm 6'3. He basically forced me to hit his +1 gap wedge on a par 3, and smoothest swing I've even taken.

Immediately lengthened all my clubs including wedges, and my game improved by 3 strokes!I dunno if I have hit a thin shot since. My tempo is on point. What an awesome "ah-ha" moment after 15 years of overly athletic crouching tiger stances over the ball

Videos coming soon maybe tomo/monday

Yea sounds like there are some pros using p750s which I didn't know. Pretty cool, and after hitting my 770 next to mp5, I think I get it. 770's feel pretty similar, and yea mishits are still pretty good. 750 even better I'm sure, never hit.

Side note....I extended my clubs an inch at the behest of a tall, blade playing partner.

my first round out with the mp5's. I'm 6'3. He basically forced me to hit his +1 gap wedge on a par 3, and smoothest swing I've even taken.

Immediately lengthened all my clubs including wedges, and my game improved by 3 strokes!I dunno if I have hit a thin shot since. My tempo is on point. What an awesome "ah-ha" moment after 15 years of overly athletic crouching tiger stances over the ball

Videos coming soon maybe tomo/monday

Something you could try, if you're feeling moderately adventurous, is to use a 3/8" length slope, instead of the standard 1/2". You start with your +1" PW, as one example, and instead of making each club a half inch longer, you only go 3/8" longer. This helps to prevent the longer irons from being less playable due to length, while giving a taller player the length-assistance one might need in the shorter clubs.

You'd likely need to adjust lie angles a bit for some clubs, if you were to give this a go.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I combo Mizuno MP54 / MP4. I get better trajectory out of the 54's in the mid and long irons. I use MP Fli Hi in the 3 iron, for the same reason. I guess I triple combo.

Even though it is a combo set, if you were to take a peak at it, there's no doubt it's a players bag.

Hit em good

Driver: Ping G25

4w & 7w: Ping G25

23° Hybrid: Ping G25

5i - pw: Mizuno MP64

54° & 58°: Cleveland RTX 4 raw

Putter: The Wilson 8802 (vintage model)

Ball:  Titleist Pro V1x
Bag: Original Jones Golf Bag (green)

I’ve never been a proponent of combo iron sets. They simply are not going to feel (sound), fly or respond the same. Defintely cool to the eye not so much for the game. My opinion, pick a model and keep continuity through the set. Just one mans take...

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

Mp69/54 here

3-5 irons are clubs I rarely hit anyway and its welcomed to have some extra trajectory and help.....no issue at all

you must get control out of your fairway metals I cannot lol. No 3-5 iron ... I wish