Your Favorite Long Iron Replacement/ Driving Iron

GoIrish17

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone hit both the King Utility and the MCC Fli Hi? I just picked up the forged tec black and they are 5-pw. I need a 4i. I have an MMC Flihi already not being used, not sure if the king utlity would really offer any more performance or forgiveness. The king forged are strong lofted so the 5i is going to get bent a little weak, the 4i will play in between a 3/4 iron. I have an 18* U65 already in the bag as well so want something in between that and a 25* 5i

718 Tmb 3i bent to 19*. AMT white s300. I use it mainly off T but its super easy for me to hit from the fairway too.

Aerojet 10.5, turned to 9.5*-  Ventus Blue TR 6x
Cobra F9 3w - Atmos TS Blue 7x
T300 4i (19*) - UST Recoil 95 F4
Srixon 565/765 Combo 5-PW - Project X 5.5hs
SM5 50,54,58,62 - F,K,S Grinds - Rifle 6.0
Odyssey OTR putter
TP5x

I own a 2i PXG 0311X. I swap with my 5w from time to time.

TM SIM2 Max Driver

TM SIM2 Max 3 & 5

PXG 0311 XF Gen 1 4-W 

Titleist SM8 Black Wedges 48-54-58

Srixon Q-Star Tour 
2009 Custom Scotty Cameron Welded Neck 009 35/330g (with a slap of lead tape for sauciness)
“Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”

Mizzy MP 18 MMC fli hi- best long iron equilivent

TM OG UDI- best pure driving iron

TM GAPR Mid- best “I’ve had a few beers in me” driving iron

Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 7*........................Project X Smoke Green 60 TX
Taylormade Stealth Plus 13*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 8X
Taylormade Stealth Plus 17*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 9X

Srixon ZX Utility 3..........................................Fujikura Ventus Black 10TX
Srixon ZX Utility 4..........................................Dynamic Gold X7
Srixon ZX7 5-9...............................................Dynamic Gold X7
Cleveland Zipcore Raw 47, 53......................Dynamic Gold X7

Vokey Wedge Works V Grind 59..................Dynamic Gold S400
Yes! Ann.........................................................KBS GPS 120

Anyone hit both the King Utility and the MCC Fli Hi? I just picked up the forged tec black and they are 5-pw. I need a 4i. I have an MMC Flihi already not being used, not sure if the king utlity would really offer any more performance or forgiveness. The king forged are strong lofted so the 5i is going to get bent a little weak, the 4i will play in between a 3/4 iron. I have an 18* U65 already in the bag as well so want something in between that and a 25* 5i

I've tried both and am about to put an mp18 flihi in the bag just so much easier to hit high and flight low to hit drillers(4 iron)

Driver: Taylormade Sim Max 10.5*, UST Attas Prototype DK 7x 44.5"

5wood: Ping G400 16.5*, Ping Tour 7x 42"

2iron: Srixon ZX 18* , Aerotech steelfiber i95s, 1* Flat standard Length.

3hybrid: Ping G410 20* Flat, Fujikura 2.0 8x

4&5irons: Ping i200 , Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw S. 1* Flat

6-pw: Ping i Blade , Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw S. 1* Flat

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 52* & 58* , Aerotech Steelfiber i95s. 1*Flat

Putter: Nike Method 001 "Oven" flowneck.

Grips: Lamkin UTX 

Ball: Vice Pro Plus (white & Neon yellow)

Still play a set of Mizuno mp flihi - 2009 version. Grafalloy epic x shaft. This d.i. Is a classic model : hbc, maraging steel face.

Also play a set of RomaRo Ballista. With c taper lite s. Is the improved version of dhy: cupped vft to face.

Favorite model could be TM udi tp. Like the looks of Honma tw d.i.

I’d never heard of that club until now, so I searched it on eBay. That’s a nice looking club, one that I’m interested in trying - thanks for bringing it to my attention. But yeesh, that thing’s expensive. (I added it to my watch list, maybe it’ll make it to payday.)

**Driver:** TaylorMade SIM Max 9° **|** Ventus Black 7 Velocore **3wd:** Titleist TS2 15° (C1) **|** Diamana D+ LTD 70 **Hybrid:** Callaway Apex 18° **|** AD-DI 95 **Irons:** Mizuno MP 18 Fli Hi 4 iron **|** AD-DI 95**/** JPX 919 Forged 5-PW **|** Recoil 95 **Wedges:** Vokey SM8 raw 50°F (Handground S), 54°S, 58°M (Handground A) **|** DG Black Onyx **Putters:** Byron Morgan DH 89 WITB: https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1505670/goirish17s-witb-updated-end-of-page-2#latest

Still play a set of Mizuno mp flihi - 2009 version. Grafalloy epic x shaft. This d.i. Is a classic model : hbc, maraging steel face.

Also play a set of RomaRo Ballista. With c taper lite s. Is the improved version of dhy: cupped vft to face.

I’d never heard of that club until now, so I searched it on eBay. That’s a nice looking club, one that I’m interested in trying - thanks for bringing it to my attention. But yeesh, that thing’s expensive. (I added it to my watch list, maybe it’ll make it to payday.)

I had never heard of RomaRo either until a member mentioned them one night over in the blade users thread. I asked and he was nice enough to post pics of his. Yep one nice looking set of irons

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

I had never heard of RomaRo either until a member mentioned them one night over in the blade users thread. I asked and he was nice enough to post pics of his. Yep one nice looking set of irons

I had heard of the brand RomaRo before, but I’m really not familiar with it at all. This club kind of surprised me, actually. I just always thought RomaRo was one of those garish Japanese club companies who’s irons come up in my eBay browsing that are like plated in gold and the drivers look like ridiculously shiny suits of armor, and they are priced outrageously - like tens of thousands for irons and thousands for a driver. Clearly, I was mistaken, this is a really nice looking club, and while not stupid expensive, it’d definitively fall in the upper end of the domestic market. Like PXG prices.

**Driver:** TaylorMade SIM Max 9° **|** Ventus Black 7 Velocore **3wd:** Titleist TS2 15° (C1) **|** Diamana D+ LTD 70 **Hybrid:** Callaway Apex 18° **|** AD-DI 95 **Irons:** Mizuno MP 18 Fli Hi 4 iron **|** AD-DI 95**/** JPX 919 Forged 5-PW **|** Recoil 95 **Wedges:** Vokey SM8 raw 50°F (Handground S), 54°S, 58°M (Handground A) **|** DG Black Onyx **Putters:** Byron Morgan DH 89 WITB: https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1505670/goirish17s-witb-updated-end-of-page-2#latest

For me it's the Nike Vapor Fly Pro 2 iron. Have mine fitted with a C-Taper 120 S and it is money - 220 to 230 yards carry, completely uninterested in crosswinds - round a Links course it is an absolute weapon.

Brooks kept the 3 iron in his bag for ages after he left Nike, which is a good enough endorsement for me.

Might swap the shaft for an S400 as the C-Taper is a bit light for me, but love the head. Great off the tee or the deck.

The Dee Three - Titleist TS4 9.5 deg, EvenFlow White 6.5 65g, A1 Setting

Henrik - Titleist 917 F3 15 deg, Rogue Max 75x, B2 Setting

The Walking Stick - Titleist 818 H2 19 deg, Rogue Max 85x, B2 Setting

The Interloper - TaylorMade P770 3 iron, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5inch +1 deg loft

The Blades - Nike VR Pro 4 - AW, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5 inch

The Sand Iron - TaylorMade MG2 TW-12 Grind, 56 degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Flopper - TaylorMade MG2 TW-11 Grind, 60 Degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Putter - Nike Method 003 from The Oven

"Golf is only called golf as all the other four letter words have been taken"     - Leslie Nielsen

I love the original Eye 2 BeCu 1 iron! Also, my new Callaway X Forged UT 18° is just flat out amazing. I can hit it high enough off the turf to hold a green, and it's hot enough to use very effectively off the tee. It has quickly become one of my favorite clubs.

AI Smoke TD 8° w/shaft TBD

Big Bertha 815 Alpha 14° w/Voodoo VS

'24 Apex UW 19° w/Rogue Silver

'16 Apex Hybrid 23° w/DG 
'24 Apex CB 5-7; '24 Apex MB 8-11 w/DG

MD2 55° + PM 1.0 58° w/DG
Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball Frankenstein (Fowler style)
[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]

I am looking for a driving iron currently, but have issues with high ball flight. My irons are JPX 900 tours with c-taper 130's but would prefer a graphite shaft in a driving iron. I was able to try a 790 UDI the other day with the HZRDUS black 6.5 but had issues pulling it left and high, in addition, I was able to try a c-taper 120 on it and hit high slices.

I am going back and forth between a Srixon U85 and the TM 790 UDI, but am looking for input on shafts. Driver ss is 108-110 for reference and am looking to hit low bullets off the tee.

Thanks in advance!

Titleist TSR3 10* - Tensei 1K White 60TX

Callaway Paradym TD 15* - Mitsubishi Kaili White 70X

TRS2 21* - Hzrdus Black Gen 4 80X

Titleist T100 - Project X 6.5

Titleist Vokey SM 9 48*/53*/58* - Dynamic Gold S400 Onyx

Taylormade Spider X

2023 ProV1X

Ping G 3i Crossover. Looks and feels like cr@p but a really forgiving cannon.

Callaway Rogue ST D 9*, BGT Brava S - Cobra LTDX 5W, Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 60 6.0 - Titleist TS2 7W, Aldila Voodoo 7S - 5-7 Titleist T300, PX LZ 5.5 - 8-G Cobra Forged Tec One, Nippon Modus 120S - Vokey SM7 54*F, Nippon Modus 125S - Vokey SM8 58*D, DG S200 - TM Mullen 2 - Ball: TM 2021 TP5X / Srixon Z Star XV

What I like about the Ballista is ability to play this club like an iron because of its shape. Horizontal Workability is good but flihi, udi or ut perform slightly better for this task. The flight is very consistent - the face is very forgiving and the ball comes off hot due to the ti face. It is fairly easy to play hi and low shots.

While waiting for my Ping Eye 2 2-iron to get here, I've been pondering shafts. Considering Graphite. It's an 18.5 degree lofted club. Keeping my driver swing speed of mid-90's in mind, should I be eyeing an R-flex or an S-flex. Would definitely want something with a higher trajectory. I'd like to keep the shaft under $50. Can y'all recommend some shafts? Thanks!

While waiting for my Ping Eye 2 2-iron to get here, I've been pondering shafts. Considering Graphite. It's an 18.5 degree lofted club. Keeping my driver swing speed of mid-90's in mind, should I be eyeing an R-flex or an S-flex. Would definitely want something with a higher trajectory. I'd like to keep the shaft under $50. Can y'all recommend some shafts? Thanks!

Aldila VS Proto iron shafts. They can still be found on Ebay for cheap.

-Taylormade BRNR 11.5* set at 9.5* Ventus Red TR 7X playing 44.25”
-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 16* set at 15* Ventus Blue 8X

-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 19* Ventus Blue 9X

-Mizuno JPX 923 Forged4&5, Tour 6-PW Project X LS 6.5
-Titleist Vokey SM9 50F set to 51*, 56D, & 62M set to 61*

-Mizuno M-Craft OMOI Type 1 Blue Putter

Not graphite but may be a Nippon Zelos.

UST recoil non prototype

I can't hit a fairway wood, so i run an M1 2-hybrid at 15.5 degrees, and a callaway x-utility at 18 degrees between the driver and my 4 iron. There were quite a few auditions to fill the slots, but this setup hits my gaps, and I feel confident over both clubs regardless of what shot I need to hit.

M5 w/Rogue
Cobra F6 3/4 wood w/Kuro Kage
RSI 2 driving iron w/recoil
PSI Tour 4-pw w/S300
MD3 50/54/58
Lajosi DD201 w/full face Damascus insert

I just picked up an Accra FX 300H shaft & Mizuno MP 18 Fli Hi head to mess around with. I'm sure it'll be the best driving iron/ long iron replacement I've ever hit, until it's not and it's on to the next one.

For me, the longest lasting long iron replacement has been the MP25.

I know it’s not technically a driving iron or hybrid, but it’s really easy to hit and it has more positive attributes to it than other driving irons / utility irons that I’ve had. My reasoning for it is that I’ve always had trouble finding one that I liked off the turf. Every one I’ve tried has been great off the tee, and that’s where the MP25 could use a little extra, but off the turf, it’s the closest thing to my iron set in terms of looks and turf interaction that offers a good deal more forgiveness.