Guidance on Irons/Woods/Wedges

cellywratt

Hey Everyone,

My son is 7 at the end of the year and he is starting to really come on as a golfer and i'm ready to upgrade his clubs. He's around 48/49 inches tall at the moment but growing like crazy.

I’m leaning towards getting a set of US Kids Tour Series 3 clubs (10 club set) but they’re approx. $1,000 ($650 USD) here in New Zealand for the set and I wondered if there might be better bang for buck available.

I’ve read some reviews of some of the other kids packages available like Callaway and Cleveland and they’ve all said they’re heavy and long as they are done on an age range rather than height.

Would I be better getting a decent set of Adult/Ladies clubs, and reshafting them and then adjusting them as he grows? Or a combination of both, maybe US Kids Irons and

Adult/Ladies/Junior Driver/Fairway/Hybrids with adjusted shafts? I've seen kids in his Age group rocking Callaway XR irons and EPIC drivers/fairway woods.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks heaps

Marcel :)

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he is 48/49" tall, the US Kids sizing has him at the UltraLight 48 (UL48) set. However, if you wanted to size up to the Tour Series 51", there is the prior Tour Series on sale on the outlet. https://www.uskidsgolf.com/shop/ts51-v10-8-club-iron-set-all-graphite-shafts-25632

He would have to choke down quite a bit though. You will also hear that swinging clubs that are not fitted right can be detrimental. For my kid, he hit 51" late this summer and him playing TS51's when he was 48/49" tall would have been a bad idea.

It's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun.

At the moment he is using a generic Golf shop set, https://www.golfwarehouse.nz/collections/golf-clubs/products/gwxjuniorpackages

Driver, hybrid, 7 iron, PW and SW. Hes hitting it pretty well with these but I feel he will get a lot more out of a decent set of clubs.

If I upgrade to a set of UL48s ($500NZ approx) they might last 6 months, then i'll need to get another set or reshaft... Would a set of adult heads be a better long term investment? Cheaper to re-shaft each year rather than purchase a full set of clubs?

At the moment he is using a generic Golf shop set, https://www.golfwarehouse.nz/collections/golf-clubs/products/gwxjuniorpackages

Driver, hybrid, 7 iron, PW and SW. Hes hitting it pretty well with these but I feel he will get a lot more out of a decent set of clubs.

If I upgrade to a set of UL48s ($500NZ approx) they might last 6 months, then i'll need to get another set or reshaft... Would a set of adult heads be a better long term investment? Cheaper to re-shaft each year rather than purchase a full set of clubs?

Skipping from that to a 10-club TS series is a huge leap. I’d work through the UL series first. Has he outgrown his current set, or are you just looking for better quality?

At that age, I’d avoid adult heads, especially coming from what he is hitting now. It would take too much trial and error to get it right, costing more than a small set of USKG, that is unless you are a amateur club maker and you just like tooling around.

Also, don’t think you have to replace every club every year. Things like sand wedges and putters can stick around for a couple cycles while you replace/reshaft the woods/hybrids/irons with each growth spurt. Same goes for the golf bag, as long as you don’t add too many clubs and run out of space. And as you grow, factor in the price of reselling the old clubs to take away some of the bite for the new set.

I’d go for the 48 UL driver, hybrid, 7, 9, SW. look into their 6th club free program. Use that to get a putter. Maybe get a used bag somewhere if it doesn’t fit his current bag. Play it for a year, then replace the set at 51” and maybe add a couple more clubs, but don’t replace the putter yet, maybe even the SW.

If you are really budget comscious, you could reshaft the USKG clubs, but at like $35 a pop not sure how much that saves you. But if he’s just starting to really shine, worst thing you could do is get him ill-fitting clubs that he can’t hit. That may discourage him from even wanting to play.

Thanks! Really appreciate the detailed response.

I'm really looking to improve the quality of his set, the current ones can be pretty hit and miss and sometimes aren't very forgiving.

I think I can get a set of UL48s for around $430nzd including the bag so that's not such a bad deal.

Is there much difference between the US kids and Flynn gear? US kids are probably easier for me to get a hold of for me here as we have a supplier in New Zealand, and id have to import the Flynn gear from the US.

I'm leaning towards getting him an adults putter but will see how the one in the set goes and go from there.

Cheers

Good advice so far. My son is 8 next week. Has played up through the USKG sets and currently playing TS3-51”. I’ve schemed in my head a 1000 different ways on how to get the most From a set, but truthfully you can’t if you want your kid to be properly fit. At this age I think the USKG iron sets, either UL or TS depending on his strength and experience are the best option. Balance & swing weight is right and quality is just fine for them. He does have an OEM driver and putter, but everything else is USKG. The USKG stuff, especially TS is nicely built. As has been said before- this is not a cheap sport. My commitment to him is that as long as he is interested that I will do my best to give him the right tools he needs to do his best. I’ve come to a reality that I am probably looking at a new set at least every season. So it goes.

From what you have said, I would go with a US kids UL set along with the fairway and hybrid and driver. If you want to spend some money, go for an adult head with flynn shaft when he is 8.

In all honesty, I'm not a big fan of the flynn irons or their shafts as kids get older and stronger. My son has played adult iron heads with various shafts since he was 7, but that's definitely not the norm around here.

Thanks for the advice guys!

I've spoken with a club fitter here in NZ and he's going to look at some options based on swing/club head speeds and go from there. Personally think the US Kids UL set might be the best option for now.

Here's a couple of vids from the weekend where we were testing Wilson DuoSoft vs Callaway Supersoft vs Chromesoft. Duosoft was comfortably longer. Going to try some Duo-Spins this week if I can find them here.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1XsF5Y-jPvHp5rIUoaXnlwZ83743YOJBU

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1GM_0wKAjag87JH3eczUIuoX90zFzVVVR

Also Callaway Pre-owned have 40% off XR clubs this week, reckon it is worth getting an XR16 driver for later on? $100 for like new seems good to me :)

I've spoken with a club fitter here in NZ and he's going to look at some options based on swing/club head speeds and go from there. Personally think the US Kids UL set might be the best option for now.

Here's a couple of vids from the weekend where we were testing Wilson DuoSoft vs Callaway Supersoft vs Chromesoft. Duosoft was comfortably longer. Going to try some Duo-Spins this week if I can find them here.

https://drive.google...XnlwZ83743YOJBU

https://drive.google...zUIuoX90zFzVVVR

Also Callaway Pre-owned have 40% off XR clubs this week, reckon it is worth getting an XR16 driver for later on? $100 for like new seems good to me :)

The XR line is very popular with the younger kids because the heads are so light. Great choice, can't go wrong at $100 as well!

edit: should have added the swing looks great!

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1XsF5Y-jPvHp5rIUoaXnlwZ83743YOJBU

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1GM_0wKAjag87JH3eczUIuoX90zFzVVVR

Cool video. Thanks for posting. As mentioned, my son is almost 8 (this Friday). He really went trough a growth spurt over the last year (I guess that won’t stop for a long tim!), which translated into a stronger and faster swing. We started off with UL48’s irons, but I bought a single TS51 6i and every once in a while let him swing it to just see how he could handle the step up. I was patient and around 7y 4mo I figured he was ready and we bought the whole TS3 set. It was well worth the $50 for the single club to have laying around as a gauge, I probably will do the same next spring when he is getting close to being ready for another step up.

https://drive.google...XnlwZ83743YOJBU

https://drive.google...zUIuoX90zFzVVVR

Cool video. Thanks for posting. As mentioned, my son is almost 8 (this Friday). He really went trough a growth spurt over the last year (I guess that won't stop for a long tim!), which translated into a stronger and faster swing. We started off with UL48's irons, but I bought a single TS51 6i and every once in a while let him swing it to just see how he could handle the step up. I was patient and around 7y 4mo I figured he was ready and we bought the whole TS3 set. It was well worth the $50 for the single club to have laying around as a gauge, I probably will do the same next spring when he is getting close to being ready for another step up.

1000% honestly only real way to test junior clubs as there is no real demo spot. Perhaps we should add that to the buy and sell on here. I have an extra ts3 8 iron in 54"

Yeah I am starting to think that he needs something that fits properly. His current set ranges from 114cm (44 inch) to 137 (53 inch). I'm fairly certain the Driver runs at about 35 inches long, he likes to choke down a bit but he handles it pretty well.

Being out in the back of beyond here in New Zealand makes it tough to get US Kids clubs, we do have a local stockist but they only carry full 10 club sets in the TS3. Once I can get his swing measured I should have an idea of what we can do. In the meantime I pulled the trigger on an XR-16 driver HT 13.5' loft with a light flex shaft for $107.99 + shipping, so pretty much brand new, landed for less than half the price it would cost me here. Will have to get it re-shafted, but can't imagine that will cost me too much.

Hey all, is it easy to fit a Flynn shaft to an OEM head? Have now got a brand new XR-16 driver that is going to make an awesome Christmas present.

Flynn put the length for his height at 33.5 (US Kids TS3 34 inches), to save on shipping should I get another shaft for later down the track, around 36 inches to align with the next height range? Shipping cost to NZ is the same price as the shaft :(

Hey all, is it easy to fit a Flynn shaft to an OEM head? Have now got a brand new XR-16 driver that is going to make an awesome Christmas present.

Flynn put the length for his height at 33.5 (US Kids TS3 34 inches), to save on shipping should I get another shaft for later down the track, around 36 inches to align with the next height range? Shipping cost to NZ is the same price as the shaft :(

Flynn shafts aren't that great. I'm sure you can find a comparable shaft locally.

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

Flynn shafts aren't that great. I'm sure you can find a comparable shaft locally.

I thought the same. A local custom club fitter has the Flynn shafts but they're the same price as what I can get them myself so no saving. Any other recommendations for junior shafts? The junior golf market here is pretty limited from what I can gather. The club came with a light flex adult shaft but understand cutting it down would make it too stiff most likely.

• 3 months later...

Thought i'd give a little update. My son (now 7) has had his XR16 driver for just over a month now.

His coach put him into a ladies Mitsubishi shaft which seems to be doing a good job. Struggled with low launch at first but has now gotten used to the club head and shaft and is starting to hit it consistently.

I would say hes picked up 15-20 yards of distance, which is making life easier on longer par 4's and 5's, not so much on some shorter par 4's as hes been too long.

https://drive.google...711k54ZDOtx9ppQ

I've convinced the other half into letting me buy him a set of US Kids TS3 clubs. So that's next on my list of things to get along with a new putter. With the success of the OEM driver it is very tempting to get Woods/Hybrids as well, Callaway preowned prices are hard to resist hahaha.

Thought i'd give a little update. My son (now 7) has had his XR16 driver for just over a month now.

His coach put him into a ladies Mitsubishi shaft which seems to be doing a good job. Struggled with low launch at first but has now gotten used to the club head and shaft and is starting to hit it consistently.

I would say hes picked up 15-20 yards of distance, which is making life easier on longer par 4's and 5's, not so much on some shorter par 4's as hes been too long.

I've convinced the other half into letting me buy him a set of US Kids TS3 clubs. So that's next on my list of things to get along with a new putter. With the success of the OEM driver it is very tempting to get Woods/Hybrids as well, Callaway preowned prices are hard to resist hahaha.

Thanks for the update. My son, also 8. Similar to you , he has an XR16 with a ladies Shaft - after going through a few Flynn Shafts we ended up with a recoil es440 F1 (ladies) that worked light years better than the Flynn Shaft. As you've figured out, not a lot of fitters (none really) that have shafts that short to trial. So best bet is to get advice from others and try for yourself. I was able to get the recoil shafts on ebay for $26 or so. Anyway, my son plays TS3 Irons, which are great, but the woods and hybrids have not been that great for him. I bought him a used big bertha fusion 7 wood (21* loft) and fitted it with a recoil shaft. This is a popular ladies & senior fairway as it is suppose to be lightweight and easy to get ball up...however we found it very heavy compared to USKG. The weight just didnt fit in well. He uses it in practice every once in a while, but still not to play. Still searching for the right fairway & hybrid solution. He just moved up to 54" TS3's irons which are heavier than the 51" versions, so we'll bring the fusion back out to see if it becomes a bit more manageable.

Thanks for the update. My son, also 8. Similar to you , he has an XR16 with a ladies Shaft - after going through a few Flynn Shafts we ended up with a recoil es440 F1 (ladies) that worked light years better than the Flynn Shaft. As you've figured out, not a lot of fitters (none really) that have shafts that short to trial. So best bet is to get advice from others and try for yourself. I was able to get the recoil shafts on ebay for $26 or so. Anyway, my son plays TS3 Irons, which are great, but the woods and hybrids have not been that great for him. I bought him a used big bertha fusion 7 wood (21* loft) and fitted it with a recoil shaft. This is a popular ladies & senior fairway as it is suppose to be lightweight and easy to get ball up...however we found it very heavy compared to USKG. The weight just didnt fit in well. He uses it in practice every once in a while, but still not to play. Still searching for the right fairway & hybrid solution. He just moved up to 54" TS3's irons which are heavier than the 51" versions, so we'll bring the fusion back out to see if it becomes a bit more manageable.

Thanks for that and interesting to note about the fairway wood, I wonder if any of the manufacturers publish their head weights or if it's available anywhere. I think i'll give the USKG TS3's a go before thinking about going to OEM's as the TS3 will likely be a big step up from what he's playing at the moment.

The other thought I had was around wedges, the USKG set that's available in New Zealand only comes with the 56 degree SW, and no options of buying individual clubs so i'd have to ship them from the US which would cost over $100US for shipping alone. Might have to go the OEM route with these as well.