The Rob Plan

We are quite overdue for an update here, a lot has been going on.

Since posting the 83 on 8/31, I crammed in one round a week, preparing for the national finals of our two-man scramble tournament that was this past weekend. I had not taken any more lessons, just tried to work on getting tournament ready and not too technical. My time was certainly limited, I would have loved to get a couple more rounds in.

I followed up with the following rounds:

41-42=83 with 4 greens and 28 putts

40-44=84 with 7 greens and 36 putts

And then leading up to the tournament at TPC Louisiana, my practice round at that course was 38-43=81, with 8 greens and 30 putts. I doubled three holes coming in after a lightning/rain delay of about an hour on the back nine.

I went into the tournament feeling fairly good but both my partner and I struggled. We were in 13th of 29 after an even opening round, with the leaders storming out to a 10 under 3 shot lead. We were already basically out of it. We came back to shoot 1 under on the second day, also disappointing, after somehow starting bogey-double-bogey, +4 after three holes. We shot a 39 on the front when I had shot 38 myself two days before. We may have needed more rest and less fun the night before of both nights, but nonetheless. We finished 12th. If it is any consolation we had no chance to win even had we played to our max capability, with the winners finishing -17 after the 36 hole event.

I did win a new Srixon Z785 with the black handcrafted hzrdus shaft, which seems like a great driver, but I do enjoy my Epic... not sure if I'll sell it or test it out to see if I want to switch my gamer. The reviews on the 785 are great.

With respect to where I stand with the initial goals, here's an update:

I have come up with several goals:

1. Attain a handicap of 5.4 or lower by August 2019 to allow me to attempt to qualify with a partner for the 2020 USGA four ball (never mind that you really need to be scratch to have a chance to make it). - PENDING

a. August 2018 would be awesome for the 2019 four ball (Bandon!!!!), so I will list it here as a stretch goal. - MISSED

2. Attain a handicap of 6.4 or less by March 20, 2019 to allow me to qualify with a partner in the TGA four ball. PENDING

3. Attain a handicap of less than 7 prior to the September 2018 City Tour finals (I play as part of a team out of Dallas).- MISSED

a. Win the City Tour finals (prior best finish was a distant 3
rd
last season).
- MISSED

4. Attain a new all time low handicap of something less than 8.4. - MADE IT!

My last revision put me at a handicap of 8.3, narrowly accomplishing goal 4. For working a lot and having a new kiddo and two young kids, overall I am considering this a success so far. It was not long ago that I was a 12.4, and I feel as though my handicap could have easily been much lower than 8.3 at this time. Numerous rounds I would go out and shoot sub 40 on the front and then collapse on the way in.

I do think part of it is that I still have some flipping/EE in my swing that makes me prone to a big miss when the pressure is on. Backswing gets long and the whole thing falls apart. I'll have to continue to work on this from a technical standpoint.

I also think I should consider reading some more about the mental game and strategy behind golf, as these rounds suggest that my approach needs to change. I have read Zen Golf, The Little Red Book, and Golf is not a Game of Perfect, and I'm trying to decide between The Elements of Scoring (Raymond Floyd), Fearless Golf (Valiante) next, or possibly the Practice Manual as was prescribed here by another poster.

I have a long way to go, but I think this offseason will give me some time to really ingrain the shallowing and improved transition moves that my swing coach has been trying to work with me on. Right now, it's improved, but only incrementally, and I think that another 6 months or so particularly during the off-season will be helpful.

My left shoulder has been a little sore since hitting the range and playing four days in a row this weekend, I am considering heading to the club tomorrow if it feels okay in the morning but if it's off I'll rest it.

Next on the list: joining the pushcart mafia (recommendations anyone? leaning clicgear). I am also mulling over the idea of some new irons. I've been playing the i25's since 2014, and if I can get my handicap in the 5 range I'd feel comfortable with something with more feedback that is a little less GI oriented. Might take me a while to get there though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went out the day after the above post and played 9, shooting a 39. Then got swamped with work, life, kids getting sick, then me getting sick, went 10 days without touching a club, then went to go play today and it was a disaster. 90 with two triples. I really did feel like things were coming together, but I really struggle maintaining if I am not swinging a club at least once a week, preferably 2-3x.

I do want to cut back at work a bit, I am feeling pretty whipped at the moment. However, the offseason is nearly upon us, so maybe I'll power through until spring of 2019. I'll be working overnights the next week so it's looking like another rough stretch coming up.

Here's how the swing was looking 2 weeks ago. No idea what it looked like today.

http://youtu.be/4XWBx2m7aso

I have read about half of Ray Floyd's book, and have taken away the "play comfortable" approach so far, seems solid.

Extending properly in the backswing would do wonders for your game. You have way too much bend at the waist at the top of your backswing. Leads to a lack of depth at the top of your swing and you have no choice but to be steep on it.

What do you mean by depth ? - how far the arms are extended "behind" the body ? (is what I understand it to mean)

If so, how would the amount of bend in the waist affect how far the arms are extended ?

If so, then the swing plane upright / flat would be the main thing affecting "depth" ?

Extending properly in the backswing would do wonders for your game. You have way too much bend at the waist at the top of your backswing. Leads to a lack of depth at the top of your swing and you have no choice but to be steep on it.

What do you mean by depth ? - how far the arms are extended "behind" the body ? (is what I understand it to mean)

If so, how would the amount of bend in the waist affect how far the arms are extended ?

If so, then the swing plane upright / flat would be the main thing affecting "depth" ?

While looking at yourself in a mirror from DTL, make a good backswing and see what happens to the line from the butt end of the club to the ground if you bend less or more from the waist.

With a lot of bend, you would have to swing your arms super flat in order to get that line behind by your heels.

Can you elaborate on how exactly to extend properly in the backswing?

• 2 weeks later...

Got out to play on Saturday with a friend and two of his acquaintances. One was a college golfer and was very accustomed to playing the tips, since he was out at our club he had insisted we play them (7200 yards, I usually play around 6800 and don't recall ever playing the tips for a full round anywhere). I, of course, was going to roll with it. The course plays to a 75.1/142 from the back tees. I played fairly well with a 40-45=85, hitting 7 greens and finishing with 31 putts. I left a few strokes out there on the back, but got off the tee pretty well and came away with a nice birdie on the front. The highlight shot of the day was a 30-35 yard pitch short sided to an elevated tucked pin, played the ball back and clipped it low with a ton of spin, took one bounce and stopped dead a foot from the hole. Possibly the best short pitch I've hit in my life.

The one thing I will say is that the par 3's were insanely tough from the tips (normally only "very tough" from the other tees). The second one played 243 to the pin over water. Strangely I found the back tees to be extremely fun, when I thought beforehand it would be a round-ruining beatdown.

My one true focus was keeping the right foot down in transition as FWP and I worked on the last lesson. Secondarily I just tried to ensure my hips and pelvis were making a decent move.

Last two rounds knocked some low scores off the handicap for me so I briefly went up to an 8.4 but back to an 8.3 after the last round.

I will admit that my "data tracking" has died off. When determining how to spend my time, I tend to use it actually practicing rather than keeping track of practice, but I think if I continue to practice intentionally I'll keep seeing improvement. I will plan on periodically "checking up" on my performance on chipping within 3 feet, putt make rates at different distances, etc., but it seems like a waste of time to do that every time I go out to practice.

My next goal is to try and shave two more strokes off, get to 6.4 for the TGA four ball qualifier. There is a regional four ball and a mid-am that cut off at 8.4 that begin in February/March, which I will consider. The MGA at my club starts off with monthly events beginning in February, so it'll just depend on scheduling as to which stuff I'll play in.

Probably be due for another lesson here shortly with FWP, but after my last round I'm feeling pretty good.

https://www.instagra.../p/BlIypQblSJV/

From FO it does not seem like my head is doing any of the movements that Monte references that indicate this problem, but I'll see what FWP says. I know I have a related issue, though, which is, is an under-turn of the thoracic spine/ribcage and occasionally the hands getting disconnected from my body with an arm-overswing. Thanks for the video!

While looking at yourself in a mirror from DTL, make a good backswing and see what happens to the line from the butt end of the club to the ground if you bend less or more from the waist.

With a lot of bend, you would have to swing your arms super flat in order to get that line behind by your heels.

Are you saying that the line should be behind the heels?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bn8I8rU8OA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKE2mEPRxGM

Not a requirement but it helps to shallow the club out if you can get it deeper. When you are strong as Brooks, you can do things that normal people can’t.

You are too bent over at the top of the backswing. Your head might not be doing what Monte is showing in the videos but you still need to working on extending. Point your chest up and don’t maintain your forward bend so much....it will make it easier to turn your ribcage.

Koepka is quite shut on the initial backswing. Love it.

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

• 2 weeks later...

Played this weekend and shot 81, bringing my handicap down to a new all time low for me of 8.1. Ball striking was poor with only 5 greens hit, but outside of a three jack (missed a sidewinding 2 1/2 or 3 footer... $%@$^#$), my putting was superb.

My scores are lower than they used to be, overall there's no question that something good is happening since about August, but my swing doesn't feel great. Just kind of, "loose", maybe a little disorganized, not sure, can't put my finger on it. Maybe that's because I really haven't played or practiced as much as I need to (outside of putting and a couple days chipping/pitching) since mid September, partially due to work and partially due to biblical rains (near-record, 11 inches in the first 3 weeks of October in DFW). Just don't have anything "grooved" right now.

Overall due to hit up FWP for another round of lessons to see if I can fix that feeling. Scores better but feels a long way off from the 70s right now.

• 3 weeks later...

I got in for another session with FWP and had four main things that I need to correct (my interpretation of our lesson, anyhow). I had noticed a recent loss of distance and it seems like a couple things were contributing to that.

1. I need to load my right side better (more pressure on the right side at the top of the backswing).

2. As a corollary, as alluded to by ryan983, when I do load my right side, I have a tendency to not extend my spine as well as I should. My head actually does move away from the target slightly at times, and this is a disaster.

3. I need to get my left knee outside my left hip and foot at around p5. I accomplish this with focusing on a squat move at transition (snead squat, whatever variation you may use). Pic attached.

4. The club needs to work more around and less out after impact, and I need to hold my right wrist angle more while allowing the club to turn over. This is super hard for me to describe and also probably the most difficult of these four things to do. In practice, I feel as though my right hand stays on top of the grip through and after impact but retains some extension at the right wrist. The check for this is to make sure the club isn't passing my hands on a DTL view by just before p8.

While trying to do these things, I found a couple of interesting things. First, my club face at the top tends to be closed for some reason (haven't changed my grip and previously it's square, so not sure what's up with that), this is causing some hooks. Second, I found I would hit a wedge super low, like, 30 feet off the ground, with a slight draw, with insane spin - enough to bring a range ball back 5 feet at the range. When I did this once off the fairway on the course the one round I played, I spun the ball back about 30 feet from the back of the green all the way to the front edge (pin was in the back, this was bad).

Not totally sure what to make of it all, but I've got a lot to work on.

I find it super hard to actually play golf while taking lessons for several weeks after making some tweaks, but it is what it is. Attached is one of the P5 views and a post-lesson swing working primarily on point #4. Love the way I rotate through impact. Hard to translate to the full swing so far.

Hcp down to a new low of 8.0.

http://youtu.be/IoJ0OCBSohs

I know you didn't ask but my opinion hasn't changed....you need to make #2 the priority. You haven't lost any spine angle in the video posted. Better depth though! Would be interesting to see a full golf swing instead of a half swing.

If you actually extended and didn't maintain so much bend at the waist, it will be much easier to load into your right side(#1) and get the club to work more around you to the left (#4). It's going to be really tough to get the club to exit left when you are that bent over at the top of your backswing. you'd have to contrive an OTT move to get the club to move left from the position you are in.

Best of luck to you

Had one good range session yesterday and then one not so good one today. Was trying to focus on the same things, for some reason was striping the ball yesterday including pounding the driver with more distance than I'd expect and then today just didn't feel the same. Everything except the 3w off the deck was a pull or occasional hook with the driver.

The one thing that was good today was striking felt really good among the short irons, better than usual.

Playing a round tomorrow. I had been shooting pretty well lately but I'll be trying to grind out my new swing thoughts so not expecting to shoot too well. Will just be focusing on the four points above and the last thing is trying to keep my right heel down a bit longer in the downswing... That's 5 things... too many? 95 here we come.. haha.

Will probably see where I am with FWP next Monday or Tuesday.